Wayne Wright Comes from Behind to Win North Senior Amateur
Wayne Wright Comes from Behind to Win North Senior Amateur
Fort Worth, TX – Wayne Wright comes from behind to win the 2017 North Senior Amateur at Ridglea Country Club’s Championship Course. Bryan Winnett takes the Super Senior Title in a two hole playoff.
Wayne Wright of Aledo was one of eleven players to start the day at least three shots back of Barry Brown’s two-under-par first round lead. Wright knew he needed to post a solid score to take the title after his one-over-par, 73 in the first round. He did just that with his three-under performance.
Wright, a Ridglea Country Club member, started the day with three straight pars before he saw his first birdie drop on the 570 yard par five, fourth. A bogey on the sixth was answered with a birdie on the eighth for outward nine of one-under-par.
Playing in the group behind Wright was Mike Peck of Irving and 2016 North Senior Amateur Champion Dave Davis of Saginaw.
Peck, like Wright, turned at one-under-par which led the field headed into the last nine holes.
Peck birdied the eleventh hole at same time in which Wright birdied the par four, twelfth. Peck though didn’t have such luck and recorded a double-bogey on the same hole to fall now one back of Wright.
Davis was one back as he made the turn and with a bogey on the eleventh, he was suddenly three back after Wright’s birdie. Unfortunately, for Davis he didn’t recorded any red numbers till late on the back nine with birdies on the sixteenth and eighteenth hole.
Peck followed up his double-bogey with a birdie on the thirteenth but couldn’t get another red number on the card for the rest of round.
Wright stepped up to the last not knowing where he stood among his fellow competitors but knowing that a closing birdie would get him close to the top of the leaderboard. He hit a perfect drive down the middle on the 515 yard par five, with only about 250 yards remaining. Wright hit a booming three wood to 10 yards short of the green. His pitch shot landed perfectly on top of the ridge protecting the hole and trickled to within a two feet of the hole. Wright knocked in the putt and secured the title of North Senior Amateur Champion.
First Round leader Barry Brown of McKinney finished tied for fifteenth.
In the Super Senior Division, Al Joe Hunt of Whitney, carded five straight birdies on holes eight through twelve to get him into a playoff with first round leader Bryan Winnett of Fort Worth. Winnett’s birdie on the eighth, his seventeenth, secured the chance to convert his first round lead into a victory.
In the playoff, the pair traded pars on the par four, twelfth. They stepped up to the par three, thirteenth when Hunt put his tee shot on the upper tier of the green that featured a front left hole location. Nearly holing his almost 35 foot putt, Hunt needed eight feet for par and a halve with Winnett. The putt slide by and Winnett had won the Super Senior Title.
The Texas Golf Association would like to thank the membership, professional staff and especially the grounds staff of Ridglea Country Club. The course took on some water from storms preceding the tournament and the staff had the course in immaculate shape.
The North Regional Series will take a break as Qualifying begins for the 108th Texas Amateur. The next regional championship will be the North Amateur at Timarron Country Club on August 4th -6th. For more information regarding the North Senior Amateur, please click here.
- The 2021 Texas Golf Association Amateur Championship to begin this weekend! Hear from our very own John Cochran about the #SouthAm taking place this weekend at Galveston Country Club.
ℹ️ Follow along here: https://t.co/tCvFKgk5XL
📽 via FOX 26 Houston
https://www-fox26houston-com.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/www.fox26houston.com/video/963263.amp 23 Likes
- Texas Golf Association on Twitter 🚨MIXER ALERT🚨 Join us for #HappyHour! Register solo or up to a team of six! Price includes 2hrs of #Topgolf, buffet & more! Compete for raffles & prizes. Guests 21+ enjoy a round of beer/wine on us! SPACE IS LIMITED. ... 1 Likes
- It is with deep sadness that the TGA announces the passing of John Semander. The longtime TGA volunteer and Past Director passed away on July 27. He was 89 years old.
Read More: https://bit.ly/3xiWlB0 13 CommentsThank you TGA for a beautiful tribute to such an amazing man. John was simply the BEST! He will be ...Oh man so sorry to hear. He was an incredible man!!! I’m glad that I had the privilege to work ...A good man with such a warm demeanor and servants heart. He was that rare person who could put a ...33 Likes
- TGA Par-Tee | TopGolf Dallas Come Par-Tee with the TGA for #HappyHour at #Topgolf #Dallas! Enjoy a buffet of food, drinks, snacks & desserts, plus 2 hours of 🏌️♂️! Bays will compete for #SwagBags & a #FunGolf Play Day for two! Did we mention the ... 1 Likes
- Pairings and starting times for the Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play have been released! More info 👇
⏰Starting times: https://www.txga.org/2021-texas-mid-amateur-match-play-leaderboard/
Texas Golf Association is at Trinity Forest Golf Club. 1 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Congratulations to the 93rd West Texas Amateur Champion Garrett Leek🏆
🏆Senior Champion: Mike Booker
🏆Super Senior Champion: Craig Urban
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 24 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jansen Smith of San Angelo and Garrett Leek of Brock share the lead through two rounds at the #WestTexasAm 🏜
18 holes remain at Abilene Country Club (South Course)
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - ... 6 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🪣 🪣 bucket hats are out in full force. Round 2 of the #WestTexasAm is in action.
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/west-texas-amateur-leaderboard-2021
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 7 Likes
- Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play Set for July 22-25 The Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play is set for July 22-25 pitting the top amateur golfers age 25+ against one another at Trinity Forest Golf Club, one of the most unique venues in Texas. Follow the link for more! 7 Likes
- TGA Players Box #TGAMembers Check your email inboxes for your exclusive #TexasTuesday deal, brought to you by the #TGAPlayersBox X @shortpar4. Save on men's and women's G/FORE shoes available for only $145 and 4 doz. TaylorMade balls for only $144! Want more deals? ...
- EMMA MCMYLER is your 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur Champion! #rivercrestcountryclub #100texasamateur
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 23 CommentsWay to go, Emma! 👏⛳️🎊Congratulations Emma! So proud of you!!Congrats Emma. Great result. Up Louisburgh!!64 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post The four semifinalists competing to advance to the championship round of the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur have began their matches!
live scoring: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 9 Likes
- We want to thank all of our amazing volunteers who came out to help at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur!
This wouldn’t be possible without you guys
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 1 CommentsThank you! USGA Volunteers!15 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post After 2 rounds of match play, these elite 8 players will compete tomorrow in the quarterfinals.
scores from this afternoon: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 8 Likes
- The day is not over yet 🤯 The 16 winners of this morning’s matches are going back out again!
The second round of matches is underway at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur #rivercrestcountryclub #100texasamateur
Texas Golf Association is at River ... 1 CommentsWatching and cheering the women golfers on from Fair Oaks Ranch!10 Likes