Wayne Wright Comes from Behind to Win North Senior Amateur
Wayne Wright Comes from Behind to Win North Senior Amateur
Fort Worth, TX – Wayne Wright comes from behind to win the 2017 North Senior Amateur at Ridglea Country Club’s Championship Course. Bryan Winnett takes the Super Senior Title in a two hole playoff.
Wayne Wright of Aledo was one of eleven players to start the day at least three shots back of Barry Brown’s two-under-par first round lead. Wright knew he needed to post a solid score to take the title after his one-over-par, 73 in the first round. He did just that with his three-under performance.
Wright, a Ridglea Country Club member, started the day with three straight pars before he saw his first birdie drop on the 570 yard par five, fourth. A bogey on the sixth was answered with a birdie on the eighth for outward nine of one-under-par.
Playing in the group behind Wright was Mike Peck of Irving and 2016 North Senior Amateur Champion Dave Davis of Saginaw.
Peck, like Wright, turned at one-under-par which led the field headed into the last nine holes.
Peck birdied the eleventh hole at same time in which Wright birdied the par four, twelfth. Peck though didn’t have such luck and recorded a double-bogey on the same hole to fall now one back of Wright.
Davis was one back as he made the turn and with a bogey on the eleventh, he was suddenly three back after Wright’s birdie. Unfortunately, for Davis he didn’t recorded any red numbers till late on the back nine with birdies on the sixteenth and eighteenth hole.
Peck followed up his double-bogey with a birdie on the thirteenth but couldn’t get another red number on the card for the rest of round.
Wright stepped up to the last not knowing where he stood among his fellow competitors but knowing that a closing birdie would get him close to the top of the leaderboard. He hit a perfect drive down the middle on the 515 yard par five, with only about 250 yards remaining. Wright hit a booming three wood to 10 yards short of the green. His pitch shot landed perfectly on top of the ridge protecting the hole and trickled to within a two feet of the hole. Wright knocked in the putt and secured the title of North Senior Amateur Champion.
First Round leader Barry Brown of McKinney finished tied for fifteenth.
In the Super Senior Division, Al Joe Hunt of Whitney, carded five straight birdies on holes eight through twelve to get him into a playoff with first round leader Bryan Winnett of Fort Worth. Winnett’s birdie on the eighth, his seventeenth, secured the chance to convert his first round lead into a victory.
In the playoff, the pair traded pars on the par four, twelfth. They stepped up to the par three, thirteenth when Hunt put his tee shot on the upper tier of the green that featured a front left hole location. Nearly holing his almost 35 foot putt, Hunt needed eight feet for par and a halve with Winnett. The putt slide by and Winnett had won the Super Senior Title.
The Texas Golf Association would like to thank the membership, professional staff and especially the grounds staff of Ridglea Country Club. The course took on some water from storms preceding the tournament and the staff had the course in immaculate shape.
The North Regional Series will take a break as Qualifying begins for the 108th Texas Amateur. The next regional championship will be the North Amateur at Timarron Country Club on August 4th -6th. For more information regarding the North Senior Amateur, please click here.
- TPC San Antonio Play Day Event Portal :: Welcome Play where the Pros play as we head south to play TPC San Antonio's AT&T Oak's Course.⠀
📍 TPC San Antonio
📆 Wed., October 14 @ 12PM
🏌️ 2-Person Scramble (Gross & Net)
🏆 Includes Golf & Prizes⠀
... 1 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🏆 Preston Stout and Matthew Comegys are crowned co-champions of the Legends Junior Tour #LJTNorthTXClassic after posting 11-under-par 133 through 36 holes. Ryann Honea and MacKenzie Moore also took home co-champion honors with a one-stroke victory in the Girls 12-18 ... 6 Likes
- 404: Page Not Found | Mailchimp #SaveTheDate: #FunGolf Events are now open in #Houston & #SanAntonio!
Come play in our 2-person scramble at TPC San Antonio (AT&T Oaks Course) on Oct. 14 (gross & net) & Walden on Lake Conroe on Oct. 17 (gross with flights).
- Texas Golf Association Registration Event Portal :: Master Roster Registration The #Fun continues with our most sought after event, the annual #TexasShamble!
📍 Tapatio Springs Hill Country Resort
🏌️♂️ October 30: Practice Round
🏌️♂️ October 31: Round 1 (Includes Lunch)
🏆 November 1: Round 2 (Prizes/Awards/Includes lunch)
There will ... 1 Likes
- 🚨Registration for the #USWomensFourBall Qualifying closes Sept. 9th!
🏆U.S. Women’s Four-Ball Championship
⛳️Maridoe Golf Club
🗓April 24-28, 2021
Local Qualifying Sites:
Rangers Golf Club - Arlington - Sept. 23
Magnolia Creek GC - League City-Nov. 12
Apply to ...
- TGA Announces Fall Event Series for Men and Women 📢 TGA Announces Fall Series Events - a slate of new competitive tournaments for men & women with at least one new event conducted in Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and the Austin-San Antonio Hill Country area. Follow the link to learn ... 14 Likes
- Timeline Photos We have two more volunteer days coming up this fall with The Spirit Golf Association at the Houston Food Bank! Follow the links to volunteer:
Monday, September 14
Saturday, October 10
https://buff.ly/2QCnuvG 3 Likes
- Jim Brown Honored with Bob Wells Volunteerism Award We are pleased to announce longtime director & past president Jim Brown has received the Bob Wells Distinguished Service Award, the TGA’s highest honor for individuals who’ve contributed to the growth of the game through volunteerism & meritorious service. 23 CommentsRavi Shah Congratulations from the Shahs. Your service to junior golf has and will continue to leave a profound legacy..Anna Schultz Congratulations Jim!! You are very deserving of this award!Chhaya Shah Congratulations Jim. Couldn’t think of a better person who deserves this recognition.52 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jason Schultz of Allen and Prosper’s Russell Williams card a final round 6-under-par 66 to go wire-to-wire and win the #Texas4Ball by three strokes at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course. The were 26-under for the championship.
In the ... 2 CommentsMark Ellis Congratulations Russell! That little course in Crockett churns out some excellent players! 😊Clay Hughey Way to go Russell Williams. Congrats to Sparky and Kennedy too. You guys represented East Texas well.21 Likes
- Following their brilliant 12-under-par 60 in Round 1, Russell Williams and Jason Schultz card an 8-under-par 64 in Round 2 at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course to post 20-under through 36 holes and lead the field by three.
... 1 CommentsJeff Atkinson Congrats, heck of a tournament!8 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Russell Williams & Jason Schultz have known each other since competing as collegiate golfers in the ‘90s. On Friday, they teamed up to card an opening round 12-under-par 60 at the Texas Four-Ball and lead the field by two strokes.
... 16 Likes
- The Spirit Golf Association Announces Appointment of Charlie Epps, PGA, as Interim President The Spirit Golf Association announced today that long-time PGA Professional Charlie Epps will serve as interim president. Epps has served on the SGA Board of Directors since January 2020. Get the full details by clicking the link below. 5 Likes
- Teammates Faith Delagarza and Amari Smith win back to back #WomensFourBall Championship 🏆
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/womens-four-ball-championship-2020-leaderboard 4 Likes