ADJUSTING HANDICAPS WHEN TWO PLAYERS COMPETE FROM DIFFERENT TEES
It is highly likely – almost certain, in fact – that one of the most frequently asked questions golf professionals get about handicaps pertains to Section 3-5, which deals with allocation of strokes when players are competing from different sets of tees. Section 3-5 can be difficult for clubs to understand and even more challenging to explain to members.
It’s worth noting that a Handicap Index is NOT established from a particular set of tees, it is simply a standardized benchmark of a golfer’s potential that helps establish a player’s Course Handicap for the particular course he or she plays. If two golfers are playing a match against each other and are playing from a different set of tees, they are not playing the same golf course.
Let’s break this down into a real-world example to make it easier to understand how Section 3-5 works. For illustration purposes, we will use two friends, Jerry and George. Jerry has a GHIN Handicap Index of 2.2 while George has a GHIN Handicap Index of 25.0. As they look over the scorecard, Jerry decides to play from the back tees measuring 6,800 yards with a Slope Rating of 130. George decides to play from the forward tees (5,800 yards, Slope Rating of 115). With a much shorter course and a higher handicap, it appears that George has an unfair advantage.
This is where Section 3-5 comes in. To apply this rule to the match, you only need to collect a few pieces of information. You will need:
- Each player’s Handicap Index
- George = 25.0
- Jerry = 2.2
- Slope Rating for the set of tees from which each golfer is playing
- George’s tees = 115
- Jerry’s tees = 130
- Course Rating for the set of tees from which each golfer is playing
- George’s tees = 67.0
- Jerry’s tees = 72.0
The rest of the process is simple math.
- Calculate each player’s Course Handicap for the tees they are playing
- Handicap Index X Slope Rating / 113 = Course Handicap (Round to nearest whole number)
- Using this formula, George’s Course Handicap is 25 and Jerry’s is 3
- You may also use the USGA’s Course Handicap Calculator to automate this calculation. You may calculate Course Handicaps on the GHIN Mobile App or on the USGA website by clicking HERE.
Determine the difference between the Course Ratings of the two sets of tees (round up to the nearest whole number)a. In this example, 72.0 – 67.0 = 5
- Add the difference between the course ratings to the golfer playing from the higher-rated set of tees
- In this example, Jerry’s tees are rated higher than George’s
- Jerry’s Course Handicap (3) + Course Rating difference (5) = Jerry’s Handicap for this match is 8
Far too often, however, clubs choose not to follow Section 3-5 for fear of the backlash from whatever percentage of the field that sees its advantage cut down in a club event. Is that allowed? Well, according to Decision 3-5/2 of the USGA Handicap Manual, it is not. As stated in the manual:
“No. Not applying Section 3-5 of The USGA Handicap System when players are competing from different tees would be waiving a Rule of Golf, and the committee in charge of a competition does not have the authority to waive a Rule of Golf.”
So there you have it – use Section 3-5 properly, and the competitions will be equitable. Choose not to use Section 3-5, and you technically don’t have a competition at all.
A few other helpful tips:
> The TGA staff is available and always happy to assist with any questions or guidance about adjusting Course Handicaps or any other Handicapping questions. Contact Mary Harrison (214) 468-8942 or [email protected] and let us help!
> Section 3-5 of the USGA Handicap System Manual
- The 2021 Texas Golf Association Amateur Championship to begin this weekend! Hear from our very own John Cochran about the #SouthAm taking place this weekend at Galveston Country Club.
ℹ️ Follow along here: https://t.co/tCvFKgk5XL
📽 via FOX 26 Houston
https://www-fox26houston-com.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/www.fox26houston.com/video/963263.amp 23 Likes
- Texas Golf Association on Twitter 🚨MIXER ALERT🚨 Join us for #HappyHour! Register solo or up to a team of six! Price includes 2hrs of #Topgolf, buffet & more! Compete for raffles & prizes. Guests 21+ enjoy a round of beer/wine on us! SPACE IS LIMITED. ... 1 Likes
- It is with deep sadness that the TGA announces the passing of John Semander. The longtime TGA volunteer and Past Director passed away on July 27. He was 89 years old.
Read More: https://bit.ly/3xiWlB0 13 CommentsOh man so sorry to hear. He was an incredible man!!! I’m glad that I had the privilege to work ...A good man with such a warm demeanor and servants heart. He was that rare person who could put a ...A lovely man, was so kind to me when I worked over there. Have such positive memories of him. RIP John33 Likes
- TGA Par-Tee | TopGolf Dallas Come Par-Tee with the TGA for #HappyHour at #Topgolf #Dallas! Enjoy a buffet of food, drinks, snacks & desserts, plus 2 hours of 🏌️♂️! Bays will compete for #SwagBags & a #FunGolf Play Day for two! Did we mention the ... 1 Likes
- Pairings and starting times for the Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play have been released! More info 👇
⏰Starting times: https://www.txga.org/2021-texas-mid-amateur-match-play-leaderboard/
Texas Golf Association is at Trinity Forest Golf Club. 1 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Congratulations to the 93rd West Texas Amateur Champion Garrett Leek🏆
🏆Senior Champion: Mike Booker
🏆Super Senior Champion: Craig Urban
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 24 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jansen Smith of San Angelo and Garrett Leek of Brock share the lead through two rounds at the #WestTexasAm 🏜
18 holes remain at Abilene Country Club (South Course)
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - ... 6 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🪣 🪣 bucket hats are out in full force. Round 2 of the #WestTexasAm is in action.
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/west-texas-amateur-leaderboard-2021
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 7 Likes
- Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play Set for July 22-25 The Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play is set for July 22-25 pitting the top amateur golfers age 25+ against one another at Trinity Forest Golf Club, one of the most unique venues in Texas. Follow the link for more! 7 Likes
- TGA Players Box #TGAMembers Check your email inboxes for your exclusive #TexasTuesday deal, brought to you by the #TGAPlayersBox X @shortpar4. Save on men's and women's G/FORE shoes available for only $145 and 4 doz. TaylorMade balls for only $144! Want more deals? ...
- EMMA MCMYLER is your 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur Champion! #rivercrestcountryclub #100texasamateur
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 23 CommentsWay to go, Emma! 👏⛳️🎊Congratulations Emma! So proud of you!!Congrats Emma. Great result. Up Louisburgh!!64 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post The four semifinalists competing to advance to the championship round of the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur have began their matches!
live scoring: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 9 Likes
- We want to thank all of our amazing volunteers who came out to help at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur!
This wouldn’t be possible without you guys
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 1 CommentsThank you! USGA Volunteers!15 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post After 2 rounds of match play, these elite 8 players will compete tomorrow in the quarterfinals.
scores from this afternoon: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 8 Likes
- The day is not over yet 🤯 The 16 winners of this morning’s matches are going back out again!
The second round of matches is underway at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur #rivercrestcountryclub #100texasamateur
Texas Golf Association is at River ... 1 CommentsWatching and cheering the women golfers on from Fair Oaks Ranch!10 Likes
- The TGA sincerely thanks the all River Crest Country Club staff and grounds crew. The 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur couldn’t happen without you and we are grateful for all your hard work.
Texas Golf Association is at River ... 3 CommentsWe couldn’t have wonderful courses without them-thanks!!At every course this is the group of men/women that make it possible for their members to enjoy the sport ...River Crest is so beautiful!26 Likes
- and just like that, match 1 is over 😱 with no. 1 seed Kenlie Barrett defeating no. 32 seed Cari Denson at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur
(8 & 7)!!
keep following along: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is ... 3 Likes