Strydom Leads Crowded Group After 6-under 66 at Bluebonnet Championship
BROWNWOOD, Texas – Kingwood’s Damin Strydom sits atop a very crowded leaderboard after Saturday’s first round at the Bluebonnet Championship. His 6-under-par 66 leads a pack of 18 other players that are within five shots of his lead.
In the Boys 14 & Under division, Austin’s Evan Vo carded an even-par 72 to lead by one stroke at Brownwood Country Club. In the Girls 12-18 division, there is a three-way tie for first. Bentley Cotton, Jackie Barry, and Elina Sinz all carded 3-under 69s heading into Sunday’s final round.
On a day with very minimal wind at a course that is usually windy, conditions were ideal for low scores. Brownwood Country Club yielded 19 rounds under par in the Boys 15-18 division. Strydom’s 66 included eight birdies against two bogeys. On a course where scoring low on the par-5’s is key, Strydom went 4-under on the day.
Strydom’s 66 only leads by one shot over Arlington’s Caleb Hicks. Hicks birdied the opening hole, a 391-yard par-4, and never looked back. He was 4-under through seven holes before he cooled off, then had two bogeys in a row on the 13th and 14th holes. He righted the ship and carded birdies on three of his final four holes to get to 5-under 67.
Nathan Petronzio, Andre Jacobs, Luke Dossey, Tucker Allen, Matthew Reidel, and Tommy Boone are all tied for third place after carding 4-under 68s. Jun Min Lee and Brian Boles are tied for ninth place after 3-under 69s, three shots back of Strydom.
Austin’s Vo, winner of the 2016 Texas State Junior Championship in the Boys 14 & Under division, had a very consistent day, carding 16 pars, a birdie and a bogey. He bogeyed the difficult par-3 13th hole, before making a birdie on the final hole, the 542-yard par-5.
Vo heads into Sunday’s final round with a one-shot lead over Shaheen Momin, winner of this year’s Jimmy Demaret Junior Classic and Dallas’ Jack Watson. Momin had a bogey on the first hole, but made up for it on the short par-4, fifth hole. He had one more birdie on the difficult par-4, 11th. Watson carded back- to-back birdies on the final two holes to get back to 1-over-par
73 for the day.
Matthew Comegys, Andrew Spaulding, and Minas Manias, are tied for fourth place heading into Sunday at Brownwood Country Club. Sebastian Moss is alone in seventh place.
In the Girls 12-18 division, Cotton, Barry and Sinz found different ways to each shoot their respective 69. Cotton carded five
birdies against two bogeys. Barry, had a bogey-free round, making birdie on her two of three holes and then the final hole. Sinz started out red-hot, carding birdies on four of her first eight holes.
The trio leads by one shot over defending champion Sara Camarena. She started out hot, making three birdies in her first five holes. She carded four more birdies in her round to finish at 2-under 70. Libby Winans and Macy fox are tied for fifth place after each shooting 1-under 71.
Following the conclusion of the first round, the Legends Junior Tour hosted a social activity for all the players and families. Players participated in the Great Golf Ball Race where teams of four competed to see who could play two holes the fastest. The team of Dallas Hankamer, Nathan Petronzio, James Perry and Jake Holbrook won with a total time of one minute, 20 seconds.
Sunday’s final round for the Bluebonnet Championship are scheduled to begin at 7:30 AM off the first tee. For more information on the event or the Legends Junior Tour, please visit www.TLJT.org.
For first round results, click here.
- The 2021 Texas Golf Association Amateur Championship to begin this weekend! Hear from our very own John Cochran about the #SouthAm taking place this weekend at Galveston Country Club.
ℹ️ Follow along here: https://t.co/tCvFKgk5XL
📽 via FOX 26 Houston
https://www-fox26houston-com.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/www.fox26houston.com/video/963263.amp 23 Likes
- Texas Golf Association on Twitter 🚨MIXER ALERT🚨 Join us for #HappyHour! Register solo or up to a team of six! Price includes 2hrs of #Topgolf, buffet & more! Compete for raffles & prizes. Guests 21+ enjoy a round of beer/wine on us! SPACE IS LIMITED. ... 1 Likes
- It is with deep sadness that the TGA announces the passing of John Semander. The longtime TGA volunteer and Past Director passed away on July 27. He was 89 years old.
Read More: https://bit.ly/3xiWlB0 13 CommentsThank you TGA for a beautiful tribute to such an amazing man. John was simply the BEST! He will be ...Oh man so sorry to hear. He was an incredible man!!! I’m glad that I had the privilege to work ...A good man with such a warm demeanor and servants heart. He was that rare person who could put a ...33 Likes
- TGA Par-Tee | TopGolf Dallas Come Par-Tee with the TGA for #HappyHour at #Topgolf #Dallas! Enjoy a buffet of food, drinks, snacks & desserts, plus 2 hours of 🏌️♂️! Bays will compete for #SwagBags & a #FunGolf Play Day for two! Did we mention the ... 1 Likes
- Pairings and starting times for the Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play have been released! More info 👇
⏰Starting times: https://www.txga.org/2021-texas-mid-amateur-match-play-leaderboard/
Texas Golf Association is at Trinity Forest Golf Club. 1 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Congratulations to the 93rd West Texas Amateur Champion Garrett Leek🏆
🏆Senior Champion: Mike Booker
🏆Super Senior Champion: Craig Urban
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 24 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jansen Smith of San Angelo and Garrett Leek of Brock share the lead through two rounds at the #WestTexasAm 🏜
18 holes remain at Abilene Country Club (South Course)
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - ... 6 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🪣 🪣 bucket hats are out in full force. Round 2 of the #WestTexasAm is in action.
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/west-texas-amateur-leaderboard-2021
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 7 Likes
- Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play Set for July 22-25 The Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play is set for July 22-25 pitting the top amateur golfers age 25+ against one another at Trinity Forest Golf Club, one of the most unique venues in Texas. Follow the link for more! 7 Likes
- TGA Players Box #TGAMembers Check your email inboxes for your exclusive #TexasTuesday deal, brought to you by the #TGAPlayersBox X @shortpar4. Save on men's and women's G/FORE shoes available for only $145 and 4 doz. TaylorMade balls for only $144! Want more deals? ...
- EMMA MCMYLER is your 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur Champion! #rivercrestcountryclub #100texasamateur
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 23 CommentsWay to go, Emma! 👏⛳️🎊Congratulations Emma! So proud of you!!Congrats Emma. Great result. Up Louisburgh!!64 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post The four semifinalists competing to advance to the championship round of the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur have began their matches!
live scoring: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 9 Likes
- We want to thank all of our amazing volunteers who came out to help at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur!
This wouldn’t be possible without you guys
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 1 CommentsThank you! USGA Volunteers!15 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post After 2 rounds of match play, these elite 8 players will compete tomorrow in the quarterfinals.
scores from this afternoon: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 8 Likes
- The day is not over yet 🤯 The 16 winners of this morning’s matches are going back out again!
The second round of matches is underway at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur #rivercrestcountryclub #100texasamateur
Texas Golf Association is at River ... 1 CommentsWatching and cheering the women golfers on from Fair Oaks Ranch!10 Likes
- The TGA sincerely thanks the all River Crest Country Club staff and grounds crew. The 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur couldn’t happen without you and we are grateful for all your hard work.
Texas Golf Association is at River ... 3 CommentsWe couldn’t have wonderful courses without them-thanks!!At every course this is the group of men/women that make it possible for their members to enjoy the sport ...River Crest is so beautiful!26 Likes