Strydom Has Wire-to-Wire Victory at Bluebonnet Championship
BROWNWOOD, Texas – Kingwood’s Damin Strydom captured his first victory in the Boys 15-18 division after a wire-to-wire victory at the Bluebonnet Championship Sunday afternoon. His 10-under 134 tournament total was enough for a three-shot cushion at Brownwood Country Club.
In the Girls 12-18 division, Elina Sinz captured her second consecutive victory Sunday afternoon at Brownwood Country Club. Her 1-over 73 was enough to take home the title. Austin’s Evan Vo had a wire-to-wire victory, closing with a final-round, 3-under 69.
Now conducted by the Legends Junior Tour, the Bluebonnet Championship was created by Brownwood businessman Bart Johnson in 2001. The tournament has an impressive list of past champions, including two PGA TOUR winners – Patrick Reed and Cody Gribble. After not being held in 2006, the LJT took over control in 2007 and it has consistently produced one of the largest and strongest fields in the state each year.
Strydom continued his stellar play in the second round after his first-round 66. He came out hot with a birdie on the first and never looked back. He got it to 6-under on the day through 12 holes and had a victory in sight. He bogeyed two holes coming down the stretch, but had a large enough cushion to not worry about a bogey or two, still winning by three shots.
Granbury’s Tucker Allen made an eagle on the final hole, leapfrogging him into second place. He had a steady day, carding two birdies, one bogey, and the eagle on the par-5 18th. His 3-under 69 Sunday afternoon vaulted him to a 7-under 137 tournament total.
There was a four-way tie for third place at 6-under 138. Dawson Ovard, Jansen Smith, Nathan Petronzio, and Tommy Boone finished four shots back of Strydom. Jimmy Demaret Junior Classic champion Jake Kuwitzky shot the low round of the tournament, a 7-under 65, to vault him up to tie for 10th place.
In the Girls 15-18 division, Sinz, who also won the Collegiate Preview and did not play in the Jimmy Demaret Junior Classic, had an up-and-down day, but managed to stay calm throughout her back nine, which included a bogey and a double bogey.
She closed with back-to-back birdies on the final two holes, though, to win by two strokes and finished the tournament at 2-under 142.
2016’s winner at the Bluebonnet Championship, Sara Camarena, finished in a tie for second place with Kingwood’s Jackie Barry. The duo finished at even-par 144 for the tournament. Richardson’s Libby Winans finished in fourth place, and two-time defending LJT Girls 12-18 Player of the Year Hailey Jones finished tied for fifth with Calynne Rosholt.
In the Boys 14 & Under division, Evan Vo captured his first title of the season with a clutch performance. After making his only bogey of the day at the difficult par-3 13th, Vo carded three birdies in his final five holes to get to 3-under 69. Vo had two bogeys throughout the 36-hole event, both on the 13th hole, but his consistency and five birdies are why he was able to win by five shots.
Frisco’s Minas Manias finished in second place after a final-round, even-par 72 and a 2-over 146 tournament total. Shaheen Momin, winner of the Jimmy Demaret Junior Classic, finished in third place, seven shots back of Vo. Jack Watson finished in fourth place and Matthew Comegys rounded out the top five.
For more information on the Bluebonnet Championship or the Legends Junior Tour, please visit www.TLJT.org.
For final tournament results, click here.
- The 2021 Texas Golf Association Amateur Championship to begin this weekend! Hear from our very own John Cochran about the #SouthAm taking place this weekend at Galveston Country Club.
ℹ️ Follow along here: https://t.co/tCvFKgk5XL
📽 via FOX 26 Houston
https://www-fox26houston-com.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/www.fox26houston.com/video/963263.amp 23 Likes
- Texas Golf Association on Twitter 🚨MIXER ALERT🚨 Join us for #HappyHour! Register solo or up to a team of six! Price includes 2hrs of #Topgolf, buffet & more! Compete for raffles & prizes. Guests 21+ enjoy a round of beer/wine on us! SPACE IS LIMITED. ... 1 Likes
- It is with deep sadness that the TGA announces the passing of John Semander. The longtime TGA volunteer and Past Director passed away on July 27. He was 89 years old.
Read More: https://bit.ly/3xiWlB0 13 CommentsThank you TGA for a beautiful tribute to such an amazing man. John was simply the BEST! He will be ...Oh man so sorry to hear. He was an incredible man!!! I’m glad that I had the privilege to work ...A good man with such a warm demeanor and servants heart. He was that rare person who could put a ...33 Likes
- TGA Par-Tee | TopGolf Dallas Come Par-Tee with the TGA for #HappyHour at #Topgolf #Dallas! Enjoy a buffet of food, drinks, snacks & desserts, plus 2 hours of 🏌️♂️! Bays will compete for #SwagBags & a #FunGolf Play Day for two! Did we mention the ... 1 Likes
- Pairings and starting times for the Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play have been released! More info 👇
⏰Starting times: https://www.txga.org/2021-texas-mid-amateur-match-play-leaderboard/
Texas Golf Association is at Trinity Forest Golf Club. 1 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Congratulations to the 93rd West Texas Amateur Champion Garrett Leek🏆
🏆Senior Champion: Mike Booker
🏆Super Senior Champion: Craig Urban
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 24 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jansen Smith of San Angelo and Garrett Leek of Brock share the lead through two rounds at the #WestTexasAm 🏜
18 holes remain at Abilene Country Club (South Course)
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - ... 6 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🪣 🪣 bucket hats are out in full force. Round 2 of the #WestTexasAm is in action.
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/west-texas-amateur-leaderboard-2021
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 7 Likes
- Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play Set for July 22-25 The Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play is set for July 22-25 pitting the top amateur golfers age 25+ against one another at Trinity Forest Golf Club, one of the most unique venues in Texas. Follow the link for more! 7 Likes
- TGA Players Box #TGAMembers Check your email inboxes for your exclusive #TexasTuesday deal, brought to you by the #TGAPlayersBox X @shortpar4. Save on men's and women's G/FORE shoes available for only $145 and 4 doz. TaylorMade balls for only $144! Want more deals? ...
- EMMA MCMYLER is your 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur Champion! #rivercrestcountryclub #100texasamateur
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 23 CommentsWay to go, Emma! 👏⛳️🎊Congratulations Emma! So proud of you!!Congrats Emma. Great result. Up Louisburgh!!64 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post The four semifinalists competing to advance to the championship round of the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur have began their matches!
live scoring: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 9 Likes
- We want to thank all of our amazing volunteers who came out to help at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur!
This wouldn’t be possible without you guys
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 1 CommentsThank you! USGA Volunteers!15 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post After 2 rounds of match play, these elite 8 players will compete tomorrow in the quarterfinals.
scores from this afternoon: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 8 Likes
- The day is not over yet 🤯 The 16 winners of this morning’s matches are going back out again!
The second round of matches is underway at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur #rivercrestcountryclub #100texasamateur
Texas Golf Association is at River ... 1 CommentsWatching and cheering the women golfers on from Fair Oaks Ranch!10 Likes
- The TGA sincerely thanks the all River Crest Country Club staff and grounds crew. The 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur couldn’t happen without you and we are grateful for all your hard work.
Texas Golf Association is at River ... 3 CommentsWe couldn’t have wonderful courses without them-thanks!!At every course this is the group of men/women that make it possible for their members to enjoy the sport ...River Crest is so beautiful!26 Likes
- and just like that, match 1 is over 😱 with no. 1 seed Kenlie Barrett defeating no. 32 seed Cari Denson at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur
(8 & 7)!!
keep following along: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is ... 3 Likes