Miskell and Hallmark win 2016 Texas Four-Ball Championship
BOERNE—From 195 yards on the final hole of the 2016 Texas Four-Ball Championship at picturesque Cordillera Ranch, Terrence Miskell on Sunday striped a 4-iron to 15 feet, then rolled in the eagle putt to win the Championship Division title in style along with partner Trey Hallmark.
In this their seventh four-ball event together, Miskell and Hallmark teamed to shoot rounds of 64-69 to win with a final score of 11-under-par 133. Midday Saturday, thunderstorms and lightning led to a four-hour delay that caused TGA Officials to shorten the championship to 36 holes. As soon as the championship concluded just shy of noon Sunday, the skies opened again and brought down another heavy downpour.
Miskell, from New Braunfels, and Boerne’s Hallmark won the Texas Four-Ball by three shots. They defeated three teams that finished at 8-under 136. The teams of San Antonio’s Colby Harwell and Brett Nichols; Barrett Sandefur and David Backus from Austin; and 2015 TGA Player of the Year Joshua Irving from Dallas and Scott Volpitto from Fort Worth all shared second place.
For Miskell, a member at nearby Sonterra, the victory was his fourth Texas Four-Ball title and eighth overall TGA Championship. A two-time college All-American at USC and Fresno State, Miskell also won the Four-Ball in 2003 and ’04 with Titus Harris and in 2007 with Trip Kuehne. Miskell was the TGA Player of the Year in 2004, ’06 and ’07.
“This one is really sweet because it’s been nine years since my last TGA win,” Miskell said. “In that time I’ve had shoulder surgery, elbow surgery and back surgery. So to get one of these again is pretty special.”
Hallmark, a Cordillera Ranch member since 2013, gave his team a leg up on the field with his knowledge of the course. A two-time Match Play Club Champion at Cordillera Ranch, Hallmark knows the subtle breaks of the Jack Nicklaus-designed greens as well as anyone. Of course, the flip side of that can be the burden to win on your home course because everyone expects it.
“It’s always tough to play on your own course because there is a little bit more pressure with everyone around,” Hallmark said. “It’s a big advantage here knowing the greens and knowing how the course plays. Especially with the weather and the wind changing, there’s definitely an advantage. The home course advantage is big.”
The Texas Four-Ball Championship is the second team title for Miskell and Hallmark this year. In February, they shot 61-66 to win the San Antonio Golf Association’s Regional Four-Ball event.
Despite Saturday’s weather delay, players in the Senior and Super Senior Divisions finished their second rounds and two teams were crowned champions. The Senior Division title went to Richard Koenig and Aaron Billings from Horseshoe Bay with a score of 10-under 134. The Senior Division is played by amateurs aged 55 years and older. Koenig and Billings held off a pair of teams from the Houston area by a single shot. Jonathan Shipley and John Dowdall, as well as Bob Kearney and Gary Durbin, tied for second place at 9-under 135.
“It was a very, very tough field and we knew it,” said Koenig, who holed out from the fairway for an eagle on the 17th hole. “We knew we had to play really well.”
In the Super Senior Division (65 years and older), Bob Hullender from San Antonio and Mike Arnold from Windcrest won the Texas Four-Ball for the third time. The duo also won in 2013 and 2014. This year, they finished with a score of 7-under 137 to clip Sam Boyd from Horseshoe Bay and Ken Redfern from Austin by one stroke.
“The first three holes after the delay were tough, but we had to scramble for some pars,” Hullender said. “Once we kind of got back into the game we ended up making three birdies in a row.”
The TGA extends its warmest and most sincere appreciation to the staff and members of Cordillera Ranch, as well as our volunteers, for their integral roles in making the 2016 Texas Four-Ball Championship a memorable and successful event. For more information about this championship, click here.
- The 2021 Texas Golf Association Amateur Championship to begin this weekend! Hear from our very own John Cochran about the #SouthAm taking place this weekend at Galveston Country Club.
ℹ️ Follow along here: https://t.co/tCvFKgk5XL
📽 via FOX 26 Houston
https://www-fox26houston-com.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/www.fox26houston.com/video/963263.amp 23 Likes
- Texas Golf Association on Twitter 🚨MIXER ALERT🚨 Join us for #HappyHour! Register solo or up to a team of six! Price includes 2hrs of #Topgolf, buffet & more! Compete for raffles & prizes. Guests 21+ enjoy a round of beer/wine on us! SPACE IS LIMITED. ... 1 Likes
- It is with deep sadness that the TGA announces the passing of John Semander. The longtime TGA volunteer and Past Director passed away on July 27. He was 89 years old.
Read More: https://bit.ly/3xiWlB0 13 CommentsOh man so sorry to hear. He was an incredible man!!! I’m glad that I had the privilege to work ...A good man with such a warm demeanor and servants heart. He was that rare person who could put a ...A lovely man, was so kind to me when I worked over there. Have such positive memories of him. RIP John33 Likes
- TGA Par-Tee | TopGolf Dallas Come Par-Tee with the TGA for #HappyHour at #Topgolf #Dallas! Enjoy a buffet of food, drinks, snacks & desserts, plus 2 hours of 🏌️♂️! Bays will compete for #SwagBags & a #FunGolf Play Day for two! Did we mention the ... 1 Likes
- Pairings and starting times for the Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play have been released! More info 👇
⏰Starting times: https://www.txga.org/2021-texas-mid-amateur-match-play-leaderboard/
Texas Golf Association is at Trinity Forest Golf Club. 1 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Congratulations to the 93rd West Texas Amateur Champion Garrett Leek🏆
🏆Senior Champion: Mike Booker
🏆Super Senior Champion: Craig Urban
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 24 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jansen Smith of San Angelo and Garrett Leek of Brock share the lead through two rounds at the #WestTexasAm 🏜
18 holes remain at Abilene Country Club (South Course)
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - ... 6 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🪣 🪣 bucket hats are out in full force. Round 2 of the #WestTexasAm is in action.
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/west-texas-amateur-leaderboard-2021
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 7 Likes
- Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play Set for July 22-25 The Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play is set for July 22-25 pitting the top amateur golfers age 25+ against one another at Trinity Forest Golf Club, one of the most unique venues in Texas. Follow the link for more! 7 Likes
- TGA Players Box #TGAMembers Check your email inboxes for your exclusive #TexasTuesday deal, brought to you by the #TGAPlayersBox X @shortpar4. Save on men's and women's G/FORE shoes available for only $145 and 4 doz. TaylorMade balls for only $144! Want more deals? ...
- EMMA MCMYLER is your 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur Champion! #rivercrestcountryclub #100texasamateur
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 23 CommentsWay to go, Emma! 👏⛳️🎊Congratulations Emma! So proud of you!!Congrats Emma. Great result. Up Louisburgh!!64 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post The four semifinalists competing to advance to the championship round of the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur have began their matches!
live scoring: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 9 Likes
- We want to thank all of our amazing volunteers who came out to help at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur!
This wouldn’t be possible without you guys
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 1 CommentsThank you! USGA Volunteers!15 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post After 2 rounds of match play, these elite 8 players will compete tomorrow in the quarterfinals.
scores from this afternoon: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 8 Likes
- The day is not over yet 🤯 The 16 winners of this morning’s matches are going back out again!
The second round of matches is underway at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur #rivercrestcountryclub #100texasamateur
Texas Golf Association is at River ... 1 CommentsWatching and cheering the women golfers on from Fair Oaks Ranch!10 Likes
- The TGA sincerely thanks the all River Crest Country Club staff and grounds crew. The 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur couldn’t happen without you and we are grateful for all your hard work.
Texas Golf Association is at River ... 3 CommentsWe couldn’t have wonderful courses without them-thanks!!At every course this is the group of men/women that make it possible for their members to enjoy the sport ...River Crest is so beautiful!26 Likes
- and just like that, match 1 is over 😱 with no. 1 seed Kenlie Barrett defeating no. 32 seed Cari Denson at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur
(8 & 7)!!
keep following along: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is ... 3 Likes