Irving, Osborne Lead Texas Four-Ball at Crown Colony
LUFKIN – Joshua Irving of Dallas and Fort Worth’s Will Osborne lead the Championship Division at the Texas Four-Ball Championship after firing a 7-under-par 65 on Friday at Crown Colony Country Club. Richard Hageman of Garden Ridge and Alan Hill of Spring Branch sit atop the Senior Division leaderboard following a 5-under 67.
Irving and Osborne, the 2017 North Four-Ball Champions, communicated as well as they performed. On the par-4 10th, for example, they collaborated over a 25-foot birdie putt. Osborne, already in with par, told Irving just before his playing partner’s putt to knock it down. Irving stroked his putter back and through. The ball dropped to move the duo to 5-under par for the day.
The 6,692-yard course designed by Robert von Hagge and Bruce Delvin in 1979 played tough during the opening round of the year’s first TGA Major Championship. The shot-maker’s track did not slow down the recent USGA Four-Ball qualifiers from attaining a two-stroke lead over the Championship Division, however.
“We hit a lot of great shots,” Osborne said. “We had a game plan on a couple holes and just kept in the fairway giving ourselves some opportunities.”
Irving birdied the par-5 first hole right out of the gates. Osborne followed with a birdie of his own on the par-4 second. The team never faltered on the front nine and went out in 4-under 32.
“We got off to a good start which allowed us to get the momentum rolling individually,” Irving said.
Their momentum carried into the back nine despite tough afternoon conditions. The duo carded four birdies over their closing nine holes including birdies on all three back nine par-5s. They finished the round with eight birdies and a lone bogey on the par-4 11th hole.
“We tried to give ourselves as many two looks as we could and that is always the goal out here,” Irving said.
Irving, who won TGA Player of the Year honors in 2015-16, and Osborne previously played two four-ball events as a team coming into the Texas Four-Ball. They won the 2017 North Four-Ball in January at Sky Creek Ranch Golf Club by one shot and recently qualified for the U.S. Amateur Four-Ball Championship, which takes place May 27-31 at famed Pinehurst Resort.
Both said they are looking forward to the weekend, but understood the importance of a solid first round.
“One of our main game plans was to get out there and post a good number today in case weather shortens the tournament,” Osborne said. “Hopefully it is 54 holes and we can go out there and play well over the next two days.”
Hageman and Hill lead the Senior Division by one stroke over John Pierce and Craig Hall. Hageman and Hill started on the 10th hole and were even par through nine holes. The duo made a statement over their final nine holes as they carded a 5-under-par 31.
Hageman birded four holes on his own.
“Four-Ball is a birdie game,” Hageman said. “We limited our mistakes, kept it in the fairway and whether the wind blew or not remained patient.”
The Texas Four-Ball Championship features a 47-team field with two age divisions. The Championship Division (25 years or older) and Senior Division (55 and older) play from different tees and are competing for separate Four-Ball titles over the course of the 54-hole tournament.
The second round begins Saturday at 8 a.m. at Crown Colony Country Club. For more information on the Texas Four-Ball click here.
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post All 😃’s as Round 1 of the #Texas4Ball gets underway from Horseshoe Bay Resort Apple Rock! ⏰
ℹ️ More info: https://www.txga.org/tga-texas-four-ball-texas-golf-association-2021/
🔢 Leaderboard: golfgenius.com/pages/2863285
Texas Golf Association is at AppleRock Golf Course. 8 Likes
- Texas Four-Ball Set for Aug. 27-29 Texas Four-Ball Set for Aug. 27-29
“We are extremely excited to have the opportunity to return to Horseshoe Bay Resort for this year’s Texas Four-Ball Championship.” -Chris Untiedt, TGA Tournament Director
Follow the 🔗 for more. 5 Likes
- The 2021 Texas Golf Association Amateur Championship to begin this weekend! Hear from our very own John Cochran about the #SouthAm taking place this weekend at Galveston Country Club.
ℹ️ Follow along here: https://t.co/tCvFKgk5XL
📽 via FOX 26 Houston
https://www-fox26houston-com.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/www.fox26houston.com/video/963263.amp 23 Likes
- Texas Golf Association on Twitter 🚨MIXER ALERT🚨 Join us for #HappyHour! Register solo or up to a team of six! Price includes 2hrs of #Topgolf, buffet & more! Compete for raffles & prizes. Guests 21+ enjoy a round of beer/wine on us! SPACE IS LIMITED. ... 1 Likes
- It is with deep sadness that the TGA announces the passing of John Semander. The longtime TGA volunteer and Past Director passed away on July 27. He was 89 years old.
Read More: https://bit.ly/3xiWlB0 13 CommentsThank you TGA for a beautiful tribute to such an amazing man. John was simply the BEST! He will be ...Oh man so sorry to hear. He was an incredible man!!! I’m glad that I had the privilege to work ...A good man with such a warm demeanor and servants heart. He was that rare person who could put a ...33 Likes
- TGA Par-Tee | TopGolf Dallas Come Par-Tee with the TGA for #HappyHour at #Topgolf #Dallas! Enjoy a buffet of food, drinks, snacks & desserts, plus 2 hours of 🏌️♂️! Bays will compete for #SwagBags & a #FunGolf Play Day for two! Did we mention the ... 1 Likes
- Pairings and starting times for the Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play have been released! More info 👇
⏰Starting times: https://www.txga.org/2021-texas-mid-amateur-match-play-leaderboard/
Texas Golf Association is at Trinity Forest Golf Club. 1 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Congratulations to the 93rd West Texas Amateur Champion Garrett Leek🏆
🏆Senior Champion: Mike Booker
🏆Super Senior Champion: Craig Urban
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 24 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jansen Smith of San Angelo and Garrett Leek of Brock share the lead through two rounds at the #WestTexasAm 🏜
18 holes remain at Abilene Country Club (South Course)
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - ... 6 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🪣 🪣 bucket hats are out in full force. Round 2 of the #WestTexasAm is in action.
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/west-texas-amateur-leaderboard-2021
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 7 Likes
- Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play Set for July 22-25 The Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play is set for July 22-25 pitting the top amateur golfers age 25+ against one another at Trinity Forest Golf Club, one of the most unique venues in Texas. Follow the link for more! 7 Likes
- TGA Players Box #TGAMembers Check your email inboxes for your exclusive #TexasTuesday deal, brought to you by the #TGAPlayersBox X @shortpar4. Save on men's and women's G/FORE shoes available for only $145 and 4 doz. TaylorMade balls for only $144! Want more deals? ...