Joshua Irving and Will Osborne Win Texas Four-Ball Championship at Crown Colony
Joshua Irving and Will Osborne Win Texas Four-Ball Championship
LUFKIN – Joshua Irving and Will Osborne began the final round of the Texas Four-Ball Championship with a nine-shot lead over the Championship Division. The duo, who posted 17-under-par thru 36 holes, coasted on Sunday to a five-shot win. Irving and Osborne carded a 1-under-par 71 en route to their first Texas Four-Ball title. Jerry Hudgins and Mike Rice won the Senior Division. They followed their second round 63 with a six-under-par 66 to win by five strokes.
Irving and Osborne did not top their second round 62, but their steady final round play was enough to clinch the victory. They both birdied the par-5 first hole, but followed with seven pars and a bogey on the par-3 seventh. They made the turn at even par, their only nine of the week not in red numbers.
Irving, who won TGA Player of the Year honors in 2015-16, hit his tee shot on the par-3 14th hole to within eight feet. He curled in the short birdie putt for the team’s first of two birdies on their closing nine. They shot 1-under-par on the back nine to post 18-under 198 for the tournament. Barrett Sandefur and David Backus of Austin shot a 5-under-par 67 in their final round to finish solo second.
“The first two days we gave ourselves a bunch of opportunities,” Osborne said. “Today was not so good but we were able to get it done. We just hit it solid all week.”
Irving and Osborne navigated around Crown Colony Country Club with ease all three days. They combined for 20 birdies, an eagle and just four bogeys over the 54-hole stroke play event. The current North Four-Ball and Texas Four-Ball champions said their confidence will carry into the U.S. Amateur Four-Ball Championship next week at Pinehurst.
“This week showed us how to strategize a golf course and how to strategize our mental lapses,” Irving said. “Winning an event like this is not easy and we are going to take that into next week.”
Irving and Osborne will tee it up at the USGA Four-Ball Championship Saturday, May 27 in North Carolina.
In the Senior Division, Hudgins and Rice put themselves in position to close out the tournament after a second round 63. The field tried to make a push, but Hudgins and Rice outpaced their division with a score of 17-under 199. They carded five birdies and an eagle on the par-5 16th hole in their final round to win by five shots. Chuck Ellenwood and John Stark of Fair Oaks shot 4-under-par 68 to finish solo second.
The TGA extends its warmest and most sincere appreciation to the staff and members of Crown Colony Country Club, as well as our volunteers, for their integral roles in making the 2017 Texas Four-Ball Championship a memorable and successful event. For more information about this championship click here.
- TPC San Antonio Play Day Event Portal :: Welcome Play where the Pros play as we head south to play TPC San Antonio's AT&T Oak's Course.⠀
📍 TPC San Antonio
📆 Wed., October 14 @ 12PM
🏌️ 2-Person Scramble (Gross & Net)
🏆 Includes Golf & Prizes⠀
... 1 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🏆 Preston Stout and Matthew Comegys are crowned co-champions of the Legends Junior Tour #LJTNorthTXClassic after posting 11-under-par 133 through 36 holes. Ryann Honea and MacKenzie Moore also took home co-champion honors with a one-stroke victory in the Girls 12-18 ... 6 Likes
- 404: Page Not Found | Mailchimp #SaveTheDate: #FunGolf Events are now open in #Houston & #SanAntonio!
Come play in our 2-person scramble at TPC San Antonio (AT&T Oaks Course) on Oct. 14 (gross & net) & Walden on Lake Conroe on Oct. 17 (gross with flights).
- Texas Golf Association Registration Event Portal :: Master Roster Registration The #Fun continues with our most sought after event, the annual #TexasShamble!
📍 Tapatio Springs Hill Country Resort
🏌️♂️ October 30: Practice Round
🏌️♂️ October 31: Round 1 (Includes Lunch)
🏆 November 1: Round 2 (Prizes/Awards/Includes lunch)
There will ... 1 Likes
- 🚨Registration for the #USWomensFourBall Qualifying closes Sept. 9th!
🏆U.S. Women’s Four-Ball Championship
⛳️Maridoe Golf Club
🗓April 24-28, 2021
Local Qualifying Sites:
Rangers Golf Club - Arlington - Sept. 23
Magnolia Creek GC - League City-Nov. 12
Apply to ...
- TGA Announces Fall Event Series for Men and Women 📢 TGA Announces Fall Series Events - a slate of new competitive tournaments for men & women with at least one new event conducted in Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and the Austin-San Antonio Hill Country area. Follow the link to learn ... 14 Likes
- Timeline Photos We have two more volunteer days coming up this fall with The Spirit Golf Association at the Houston Food Bank! Follow the links to volunteer:
Monday, September 14
Saturday, October 10
https://buff.ly/2QCnuvG 3 Likes
- Jim Brown Honored with Bob Wells Volunteerism Award We are pleased to announce longtime director & past president Jim Brown has received the Bob Wells Distinguished Service Award, the TGA’s highest honor for individuals who’ve contributed to the growth of the game through volunteerism & meritorious service. 23 CommentsRavi Shah Congratulations from the Shahs. Your service to junior golf has and will continue to leave a profound legacy..Anna Schultz Congratulations Jim!! You are very deserving of this award!Chhaya Shah Congratulations Jim. Couldn’t think of a better person who deserves this recognition.52 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jason Schultz of Allen and Prosper’s Russell Williams card a final round 6-under-par 66 to go wire-to-wire and win the #Texas4Ball by three strokes at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course. The were 26-under for the championship.
In the ... 2 CommentsMark Ellis Congratulations Russell! That little course in Crockett churns out some excellent players! 😊Clay Hughey Way to go Russell Williams. Congrats to Sparky and Kennedy too. You guys represented East Texas well.21 Likes
- Following their brilliant 12-under-par 60 in Round 1, Russell Williams and Jason Schultz card an 8-under-par 64 in Round 2 at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course to post 20-under through 36 holes and lead the field by three.
... 1 CommentsJeff Atkinson Congrats, heck of a tournament!8 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Russell Williams & Jason Schultz have known each other since competing as collegiate golfers in the ‘90s. On Friday, they teamed up to card an opening round 12-under-par 60 at the Texas Four-Ball and lead the field by two strokes.
... 16 Likes
- The Spirit Golf Association Announces Appointment of Charlie Epps, PGA, as Interim President The Spirit Golf Association announced today that long-time PGA Professional Charlie Epps will serve as interim president. Epps has served on the SGA Board of Directors since January 2020. Get the full details by clicking the link below. 5 Likes
- Teammates Faith Delagarza and Amari Smith win back to back #WomensFourBall Championship 🏆
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/womens-four-ball-championship-2020-leaderboard 4 Likes