Lee, Smith Lead Alamo Shootout After 6-under 66s
SAN ANTONIO – Mission’s Jun Min Lee and San Angelo’s Jansen Smith both shot a stellar 6-under-par 66 Monday afternoon at Briggs Ranch Golf Club to lead the Boys 15-18 division at the Alamo Shootout. The duo lead by one over Corpus Christi’s Billy Teichman.
Dallas’ Hailey Jones, two-time defending Girls LJT Player of the Year, and Montgomery’s Iliana Stowers are tied atop the Girls 12-18 division after a pair of 1-over-par 73s. San Antonio native, Patrick Kahanek leads the Boys 14 & Under division after an even-par 72.
The Legends Junior Tour is conducting the Alamo Shootout for the first time since 2011 when it was held at historic Brackenridge Golf Course. This year’s event is being held at Briggs Ranch Golf Club, one of the top private courses in the San Antonio Area. The Tom Fazio designed Briggs Ranch is nestled in the heart of the hill country, winding through the rolling hills some 20 miles from downtown San Antonio.
The players are treated to spectacular view of the city and surrounding areas, while also trying to focus their short game on the difficult, but perfect bent grass green complexes. The perfect weather conditions – upper 80’s with minimal wind – allowed for ideal scores.
Lee, currently second on the 2017 LJT Player of the Year Points List, carded seven birdies and an eagle in his round. His eagle came on the short par-4, 14th hole, and capped off a stellar start, 5-under-par through his first five holes (he started on the tenth hole). He settled down and then had a double-bogey at the difficult 413-yard second hole. He had two closing birdies though, on the eighth and ninth holes, his 17th and 18th of the day.
Smith started on the 442-yard, par 4 first hole, and promptly was 1-under through one. He played mistake free in his round, carding five more birdies and no bogeys. He had three birdies in a five-hole stretch in the middle of his round to get him to 5-under through 12 holes. He birdied the par-3 17th to get his sixth and final birdie of the day.
Lee and Smith only lead by one shot heading into Tuesday over Teichman. The 2017 James A. Ragan champion, Teichman started on No. 10 and closed his front nine with four straight birdies. Granbury’s Tucker Allen, current LJT Player of the Year Points List leader sits in 4th place, just two shots back of the leaders. Riley Griffin, Austin Chung, Hunter McDonough, and William Moll are all three shots back and tied for fifth.
In the Girls 12-18 division, Stowers played consistently, carding three birdies against four bogeys. She had back-to-back birdies on the par-5 11th hole and the long par-4 12th. Jones, started out 2-under through her first 13 holes, but a double bogey on the short, par-4 14th put her back at even for her round. She had one more closing bogey on the par-3 17th hole.
Stowers and Jones lead by two strokes over Temple’s Julia Garcia and Austin’s Lauren Hinkle heading into Tuesday’s final round. Both carded 3-over 75s Monday afternoon. Cedar Park’s Caylnne Rosholt sits in solo fifth after a 5-over-par 77 in Monday’s opening round.
In the Boys 14 & Under division, Kahanek, leads by one stroke over Matthew Spaulding after an even-par 72. He carded three birdies and three bogeys. When he made a mistake, a bogey, he immediately followed it up with a birdie all three times. He played the four par-3s 2-under par on the day.
Matthew Spaulding, who won the James A. Ragan Memorial in February, sits in second place heading into Sunday. His brother Andrew Spaulding is tied with Braeden Hoyt for third place at 2-over-par 72. Jack Watson and Shaheen Momin are tied for fifth place.
Tuesday’s final round is scheduled to begin at 7:30 AM off the first and 10th tees. For more information on the Alamo Shootout
or Legends Junior Tour, please visit www.TXGA.org.
For full first round results, click here.
- The 2021 Texas Golf Association Amateur Championship to begin this weekend! Hear from our very own John Cochran about the #SouthAm taking place this weekend at Galveston Country Club.
ℹ️ Follow along here: https://t.co/tCvFKgk5XL
📽 via FOX 26 Houston
https://www-fox26houston-com.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/www.fox26houston.com/video/963263.amp 23 Likes
- Texas Golf Association on Twitter 🚨MIXER ALERT🚨 Join us for #HappyHour! Register solo or up to a team of six! Price includes 2hrs of #Topgolf, buffet & more! Compete for raffles & prizes. Guests 21+ enjoy a round of beer/wine on us! SPACE IS LIMITED. ... 1 Likes
- It is with deep sadness that the TGA announces the passing of John Semander. The longtime TGA volunteer and Past Director passed away on July 27. He was 89 years old.
Read More: https://bit.ly/3xiWlB0 13 CommentsThank you TGA for a beautiful tribute to such an amazing man. John was simply the BEST! He will be ...Oh man so sorry to hear. He was an incredible man!!! I’m glad that I had the privilege to work ...A good man with such a warm demeanor and servants heart. He was that rare person who could put a ...33 Likes
- TGA Par-Tee | TopGolf Dallas Come Par-Tee with the TGA for #HappyHour at #Topgolf #Dallas! Enjoy a buffet of food, drinks, snacks & desserts, plus 2 hours of 🏌️♂️! Bays will compete for #SwagBags & a #FunGolf Play Day for two! Did we mention the ... 1 Likes
- Pairings and starting times for the Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play have been released! More info 👇
⏰Starting times: https://www.txga.org/2021-texas-mid-amateur-match-play-leaderboard/
Texas Golf Association is at Trinity Forest Golf Club. 1 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Congratulations to the 93rd West Texas Amateur Champion Garrett Leek🏆
🏆Senior Champion: Mike Booker
🏆Super Senior Champion: Craig Urban
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 24 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jansen Smith of San Angelo and Garrett Leek of Brock share the lead through two rounds at the #WestTexasAm 🏜
18 holes remain at Abilene Country Club (South Course)
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - ... 6 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🪣 🪣 bucket hats are out in full force. Round 2 of the #WestTexasAm is in action.
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/west-texas-amateur-leaderboard-2021
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 7 Likes
- Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play Set for July 22-25 The Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play is set for July 22-25 pitting the top amateur golfers age 25+ against one another at Trinity Forest Golf Club, one of the most unique venues in Texas. Follow the link for more! 7 Likes
- TGA Players Box #TGAMembers Check your email inboxes for your exclusive #TexasTuesday deal, brought to you by the #TGAPlayersBox X @shortpar4. Save on men's and women's G/FORE shoes available for only $145 and 4 doz. TaylorMade balls for only $144! Want more deals? ...
- EMMA MCMYLER is your 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur Champion! #rivercrestcountryclub #100texasamateur
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 23 CommentsWay to go, Emma! 👏⛳️🎊Congratulations Emma! So proud of you!!Congrats Emma. Great result. Up Louisburgh!!64 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post The four semifinalists competing to advance to the championship round of the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur have began their matches!
live scoring: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 9 Likes
- We want to thank all of our amazing volunteers who came out to help at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur!
This wouldn’t be possible without you guys
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 1 CommentsThank you! USGA Volunteers!15 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post After 2 rounds of match play, these elite 8 players will compete tomorrow in the quarterfinals.
scores from this afternoon: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 8 Likes
- The day is not over yet 🤯 The 16 winners of this morning’s matches are going back out again!
The second round of matches is underway at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur #rivercrestcountryclub #100texasamateur
Texas Golf Association is at River ... 1 CommentsWatching and cheering the women golfers on from Fair Oaks Ranch!10 Likes
- The TGA sincerely thanks the all River Crest Country Club staff and grounds crew. The 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur couldn’t happen without you and we are grateful for all your hard work.
Texas Golf Association is at River ... 3 CommentsWe couldn’t have wonderful courses without them-thanks!!At every course this is the group of men/women that make it possible for their members to enjoy the sport ...River Crest is so beautiful!26 Likes
- and just like that, match 1 is over 😱 with no. 1 seed Kenlie Barrett defeating no. 32 seed Cari Denson at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur
(8 & 7)!!
keep following along: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is ... 3 Likes