Lakewood Country Club Set to Host 18th Byron Nelson Junior Championship
DALLAS– The Byron Nelson Junior Championship returns to Lakewood Country Club on June 27-29 and the Legends Junior Tour’s first major tournament features another stellar field.
Byron Nelson once said, “Winners are different. They’re a different breed of cat.” The Byron Nelson Junior Championship has seen its fair share of winners, which have gone on to great success at the collegiate and the professional level.
Three-time champion Jordan Spieth, 2008-2010, played at the University of Texas and has seen success at the highest level, winning the 2015 Masters and United States Open Championship. Cody Gribble, 2007, also went on to play collegiately at the University of Texas and won his first PGA Tour event in 2016 at the Sanderson Farms Championship.
Hunter Shattuck, 2013, helped Baylor University climb to No. 1 in the Golfweek rankings in 2017 and its first No. 1 ranking in the Big XII tournament. Chandler Phillips, 2014, is in his second year at Texas A&M and was named the program’s Most Valuable Player and Newcomer of the Year in 2016.
Other past champions include Ryan Baca, 2000-01, Justin Fraley, 2002, K.T. Livingston, 2003, Charlie Holland, 2004, Alex Moon, 2006, Benjamin Arnett, 2012, and Vincent Martino, 2011, all of which went on to play golf at the collegiate level.
Last year’s champion, Levi Valadez, just finished up his first season at Kansas State University, playing 18 rounds over six events. San Antonio’s Valadez won in a playoff in 2016, edging Parker Coody with a par on the first playoff hole. His rounds of 69-66-72 got him to 6-under overall.
In 2015, Lewisville’s Ryan Grider beat Pierceson Coody in a two-hole playoff. Grider and Coody finished the 54-hole event all square at 1-under 212 overall and needed two more holes to settle the score. Grider is competing in this year’s Byron Nelson Junior Championship, looking to become the third multi-winner of this event and the first since Jordan Spieth’s three-peat.
The 78-player field will play 54 holes of stroke play competition. After 36 holes, the field is cut to the low 30 players and ties for the final round. The tournament is World Amateur Golf, Golfweek and Junior Golf Scoreboard ranked. Numerous AJGA performance stars will be handed out to the top finishers, including “Fully Exempt” status.
Players in the field earned exemptions from previous LJT Tournaments, the North and South Texas PGA and the Houston Golf Association, which are members of the Texas Junior Golf Alliance or by their rankings.
This is the third major event in the last month that Lakewood Country Club has hosted. The club hosted the U.S. Open Sectional Qualifier on June 5 and then followed that up with the 108th Texas Amateur Championship on June 15-18. Designed by Thomas Bendelow in 1912, Lakewood Country Club is hosting the Byron Nelson Junior Championship for the 16th time.
“Our membership gets behind these kinds of events,” said Gilbert Freeman, Lakewood’s esteemed Director of Golf since 1994. “This club supports golf and the golf community.”
Located in the heart of Dallas, Lakewood Country Club has shown a knack for hosting great tournaments throughout the years. Byron Nelson himself won the Texas Victory Open at Lakewood Country Club in 1944, which was the start of his remarkable two-year run of 26 tournaments wins. The tournament would change names a couple of times before becoming the AT&T Byron Nelson.
The tournament will commence on Tuesday, June 27, with the second round following on Wednesday, June 28. A cut to the low 30 players and ties will be made after 36 holes and the final round will start on Thursday, June 29.
For more information about the 2017 Byron Nelson Junior Championship, click here.
- TPC San Antonio Play Day Event Portal :: Welcome Play where the Pros play as we head south to play TPC San Antonio's AT&T Oak's Course.⠀
📍 TPC San Antonio
📆 Wed., October 14 @ 12PM
🏌️ 2-Person Scramble (Gross & Net)
🏆 Includes Golf & Prizes⠀
... 1 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🏆 Preston Stout and Matthew Comegys are crowned co-champions of the Legends Junior Tour #LJTNorthTXClassic after posting 11-under-par 133 through 36 holes. Ryann Honea and MacKenzie Moore also took home co-champion honors with a one-stroke victory in the Girls 12-18 ... 6 Likes
- 404: Page Not Found | Mailchimp #SaveTheDate: #FunGolf Events are now open in #Houston & #SanAntonio!
Come play in our 2-person scramble at TPC San Antonio (AT&T Oaks Course) on Oct. 14 (gross & net) & Walden on Lake Conroe on Oct. 17 (gross with flights).
- Texas Golf Association Registration Event Portal :: Master Roster Registration The #Fun continues with our most sought after event, the annual #TexasShamble!
📍 Tapatio Springs Hill Country Resort
🏌️♂️ October 30: Practice Round
🏌️♂️ October 31: Round 1 (Includes Lunch)
🏆 November 1: Round 2 (Prizes/Awards/Includes lunch)
There will ... 1 Likes
- 🚨Registration for the #USWomensFourBall Qualifying closes Sept. 9th!
🏆U.S. Women’s Four-Ball Championship
⛳️Maridoe Golf Club
🗓April 24-28, 2021
Local Qualifying Sites:
Rangers Golf Club - Arlington - Sept. 23
Magnolia Creek GC - League City-Nov. 12
Apply to ...
- TGA Announces Fall Event Series for Men and Women 📢 TGA Announces Fall Series Events - a slate of new competitive tournaments for men & women with at least one new event conducted in Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and the Austin-San Antonio Hill Country area. Follow the link to learn ... 14 Likes
- Timeline Photos We have two more volunteer days coming up this fall with The Spirit Golf Association at the Houston Food Bank! Follow the links to volunteer:
Monday, September 14
Saturday, October 10
https://buff.ly/2QCnuvG 3 Likes
- Jim Brown Honored with Bob Wells Volunteerism Award We are pleased to announce longtime director & past president Jim Brown has received the Bob Wells Distinguished Service Award, the TGA’s highest honor for individuals who’ve contributed to the growth of the game through volunteerism & meritorious service. 23 CommentsRavi Shah Congratulations from the Shahs. Your service to junior golf has and will continue to leave a profound legacy..Anna Schultz Congratulations Jim!! You are very deserving of this award!Chhaya Shah Congratulations Jim. Couldn’t think of a better person who deserves this recognition.52 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jason Schultz of Allen and Prosper’s Russell Williams card a final round 6-under-par 66 to go wire-to-wire and win the #Texas4Ball by three strokes at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course. The were 26-under for the championship.
In the ... 2 CommentsMark Ellis Congratulations Russell! That little course in Crockett churns out some excellent players! 😊Clay Hughey Way to go Russell Williams. Congrats to Sparky and Kennedy too. You guys represented East Texas well.21 Likes
- Following their brilliant 12-under-par 60 in Round 1, Russell Williams and Jason Schultz card an 8-under-par 64 in Round 2 at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course to post 20-under through 36 holes and lead the field by three.
... 1 CommentsJeff Atkinson Congrats, heck of a tournament!8 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Russell Williams & Jason Schultz have known each other since competing as collegiate golfers in the ‘90s. On Friday, they teamed up to card an opening round 12-under-par 60 at the Texas Four-Ball and lead the field by two strokes.
... 16 Likes
- The Spirit Golf Association Announces Appointment of Charlie Epps, PGA, as Interim President The Spirit Golf Association announced today that long-time PGA Professional Charlie Epps will serve as interim president. Epps has served on the SGA Board of Directors since January 2020. Get the full details by clicking the link below. 5 Likes
- Teammates Faith Delagarza and Amari Smith win back to back #WomensFourBall Championship 🏆
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/womens-four-ball-championship-2020-leaderboard 4 Likes