Julie Houston Leads Women's Stroke Play
Julie Houston Leads Women’s Stroke Play
KINGWOOD – Julie Houston of Allen leads the Women’s Stroke Play after firing a 4-under-par 69 on Thursday at The Clubs of Kingwood – Island Course. Soft conditions complimented Houston’s ball-striking as she attacked flagsticks throughout Round 1.
Houston’s lone bogey of the day came on the par-4 second hole. Despite falling to 1-over-par through two holes, she stuck to an aggressive game plan. Houston birdied the par-5 sixth and the par-4 seventh to make the turn at 1-under. She followed suit on the back nine, on which three more birdies defined a bogey-free closing loop.
“I was I able to attack pins and after a few holes used that to fuel my fire,” said Houston, who was runner-up in last summer’s 95th WTGA State Amateur. “I just tried to stay steady.”
The UT-San Antonio junior said she plans to carry the same mentality into Round 2.
“I plan on being aggressive and staying even keel throughout my round,” Houston said.
Rylee Pedigo of Fort Worth and Kingwood’s Hanna Alberto both carded rounds of 3-under-par 70 to share second place after one round of the 54-hole championship.
Pedigo referred to the Island Course as a “beast.” However, the daunting course defined by narrow fairways and small landing areas did not faze the Oklahoma senior. She closed with a birdie on the difficult par-5 18th hole and sits one shot back of the lead.
Alberto, a 2016 graduate of Kingwood High School, utilized her local knowledge en route to a 3-under-par 34 on the back nine. She birdied holes 10 and 11 and eagled the par-5 15th. A bogey on the par-4 16th coming home leaves her T2 with Pedigo.
Megan Thothong, 2016 Women’s Stroke Play champion, Madison Kidd of Lake Jackson and Christine Wang of Houston all finished at 2-under-par and tied for fourth place.
The Island Course was built by Joe Finger in 1974. The women played the track that winds through heavy timber and features quick, Bermuda grass greens from 5,947 yards.
Kingwood expected three inches of rain today due to tropical storm Cindy. However, as of Thursday morning only 0.6 inches of precipitation was recorded. Light showers greeted the morning, but play continued and finished in dry, partly cloudy conditions.
The 2017 Women’s Stroke Play Championship features a 71-player field, which will be divided into three flights following Round 2 tomorrow.
The second round begins Friday at 8 a.m. For more information on the Women’s Stroke Play click here.
- TPC San Antonio Play Day Event Portal :: Welcome Play where the Pros play as we head south to play TPC San Antonio's AT&T Oak's Course.⠀
📍 TPC San Antonio
📆 Wed., October 14 @ 12PM
🏌️ 2-Person Scramble (Gross & Net)
🏆 Includes Golf & Prizes⠀
... 2 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🏆 Preston Stout and Matthew Comegys are crowned co-champions of the Legends Junior Tour #LJTNorthTXClassic after posting 11-under-par 133 through 36 holes. Ryann Honea and MacKenzie Moore also took home co-champion honors with a one-stroke victory in the Girls 12-18 ... 6 Likes
- 404: Page Not Found | Mailchimp #SaveTheDate: #FunGolf Events are now open in #Houston & #SanAntonio!
Come play in our 2-person scramble at TPC San Antonio (AT&T Oaks Course) on Oct. 14 (gross & net) & Walden on Lake Conroe on Oct. 17 (gross with flights).
- Texas Golf Association Registration Event Portal :: Master Roster Registration The #Fun continues with our most sought after event, the annual #TexasShamble!
📍 Tapatio Springs Hill Country Resort
🏌️♂️ October 30: Practice Round
🏌️♂️ October 31: Round 1 (Includes Lunch)
🏆 November 1: Round 2 (Prizes/Awards/Includes lunch)
There will ... 1 Likes
- 🚨Registration for the #USWomensFourBall Qualifying closes Sept. 9th!
🏆U.S. Women’s Four-Ball Championship
⛳️Maridoe Golf Club
🗓April 24-28, 2021
Local Qualifying Sites:
Rangers Golf Club - Arlington - Sept. 23
Magnolia Creek GC - League City-Nov. 12
Apply to ...
- TGA Announces Fall Event Series for Men and Women 📢 TGA Announces Fall Series Events - a slate of new competitive tournaments for men & women with at least one new event conducted in Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and the Austin-San Antonio Hill Country area. Follow the link to learn ... 14 Likes
- Timeline Photos We have two more volunteer days coming up this fall with The Spirit Golf Association at the Houston Food Bank! Follow the links to volunteer:
Monday, September 14
Saturday, October 10
https://buff.ly/2QCnuvG 3 Likes
- Jim Brown Honored with Bob Wells Volunteerism Award We are pleased to announce longtime director & past president Jim Brown has received the Bob Wells Distinguished Service Award, the TGA’s highest honor for individuals who’ve contributed to the growth of the game through volunteerism & meritorious service. 23 CommentsRavi Shah Congratulations from the Shahs. Your service to junior golf has and will continue to leave a profound legacy..Anna Schultz Congratulations Jim!! You are very deserving of this award!Chhaya Shah Congratulations Jim. Couldn’t think of a better person who deserves this recognition.52 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jason Schultz of Allen and Prosper’s Russell Williams card a final round 6-under-par 66 to go wire-to-wire and win the #Texas4Ball by three strokes at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course. The were 26-under for the championship.
In the ... 2 CommentsMark Ellis Congratulations Russell! That little course in Crockett churns out some excellent players! 😊Clay Hughey Way to go Russell Williams. Congrats to Sparky and Kennedy too. You guys represented East Texas well.21 Likes
- Following their brilliant 12-under-par 60 in Round 1, Russell Williams and Jason Schultz card an 8-under-par 64 in Round 2 at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course to post 20-under through 36 holes and lead the field by three.
... 1 CommentsJeff Atkinson Congrats, heck of a tournament!8 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Russell Williams & Jason Schultz have known each other since competing as collegiate golfers in the ‘90s. On Friday, they teamed up to card an opening round 12-under-par 60 at the Texas Four-Ball and lead the field by two strokes.
... 16 Likes
- The Spirit Golf Association Announces Appointment of Charlie Epps, PGA, as Interim President The Spirit Golf Association announced today that long-time PGA Professional Charlie Epps will serve as interim president. Epps has served on the SGA Board of Directors since January 2020. Get the full details by clicking the link below. 5 Likes
- Teammates Faith Delagarza and Amari Smith win back to back #WomensFourBall Championship 🏆
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/womens-four-ball-championship-2020-leaderboard 4 Likes