Cooper, Alberto, Houston Win Women's Stroke Play Championship
Cooper, Alberto, Houston Win Women’s Stroke Play Championship
KINGWOOD – Julie Houston of Allen, Hailee Cooper of Montgomery and Kingwood’s Hanna Alberto win the 2017 Women’s Stroke Play Championship after finishing in a tie at 3-under-par thru 36-holes. Dangerous weather characterized Saturday morning at The Clubs of Kingwood – Island Course. The TGA staff delayed the final round of the championship at 7:44 a.m. and ultimately called off competition at 12:30 p.m.
Steady showers throughout the afternoon and electricity in the sky ruled out a potential sudden death playoff. Cooper, Houston and Alberto will be awarded the same amount of TGA Women’s Player of the Year points as individual state champions.
Houston, the 2016 WTGA State Amateur runner-up, began the Women’s Stroke Play with a 4-under-par 69 to lead the field. She carded a 1-over-par 74 yesterday to finish the 36-hole championship tied at the top.
“We have competed for a long time against each other, so being able to play side by side in this tournament was amazing,” said Houston, the 2015 Eclectic champion. “Winning with these girls is an honor.”
It’s been quite the week for the UTSA men’s and women’s golf teams. On Sunday, Zander Lozano, a two-time winner on the men’s team, won the 108th Texas Amateur by four shots at historic Lakewood Country Club in Dallas. The next day, incoming freshman Chad Sewell won medalist honors and qualified for the U.S. Junior Amateur at Champions Golf Club. Now Houston, a UTSA junior, finishes co-medalist at the season’s first TGA Women’s major championship.
“Picking small targets was really big for me this week,” Houston said. “I just tried to play smart.”
Cooper, 17, carded rounds of 75-68 en route to posting 3-under-par for the tournament. The Legends Junior Tour standout and 2018 University of Texas commit now etches her name into TGA Women’s history.
“Texas is such a great golf state because were so competitive,” Cooper said. “It was great competition all week, so it is awesome finish on top with them.”
Cooper, the 2015 UIL State Champion, will begin her senior year at Montgomery High School in the fall.
Alberto, a sophomore at Sam Houston State, grew up playing The Clubs of Kingwood. She had many family members following her throughout the tournament and they were there to celebrate her victory. The Kingwood Park High School alum posted 70-73 en route to co-medalist honors.
“There is so many great players in this state and I am glad I got to compete with them,” Alberto said. “On this golf course you must pin point where you are going to leave your ball, and I tried to manage that difficultly.”
Alberto and Houston are scheduled to compete in the 96th WTGA State Amateur Championship at Traditions Club in Bryan July 18-21.
Megan Thothong, the 2016 Women’s Stroke Play champion, finished solo fourth at 1-under-par after rounds of 71-74. Rounding out the top-5 was Oklahoma State senior Maddie McCrary at 2-over-par 148.
Lucy Nunn, the University of Houston assistant women’s golf coach, finished as the low mid-amateur. She posted rounds of 74-76 to finish 3-over and tied for seventh place overall.
The TGA extends its warmest and most sincere appreciation to the staff and members of The Clubs of Kingwood, as well as our volunteers, for their integral part in making the 2017 Women’s Stroke Play a memorable and successful event. For more information about this championship click here.
- TPC San Antonio Play Day Event Portal :: Welcome Play where the Pros play as we head south to play TPC San Antonio's AT&T Oak's Course.⠀
📍 TPC San Antonio
📆 Wed., October 14 @ 12PM
🏌️ 2-Person Scramble (Gross & Net)
🏆 Includes Golf & Prizes⠀
... 1 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🏆 Preston Stout and Matthew Comegys are crowned co-champions of the Legends Junior Tour #LJTNorthTXClassic after posting 11-under-par 133 through 36 holes. Ryann Honea and MacKenzie Moore also took home co-champion honors with a one-stroke victory in the Girls 12-18 ... 6 Likes
- 404: Page Not Found | Mailchimp #SaveTheDate: #FunGolf Events are now open in #Houston & #SanAntonio!
Come play in our 2-person scramble at TPC San Antonio (AT&T Oaks Course) on Oct. 14 (gross & net) & Walden on Lake Conroe on Oct. 17 (gross with flights).
- Texas Golf Association Registration Event Portal :: Master Roster Registration The #Fun continues with our most sought after event, the annual #TexasShamble!
📍 Tapatio Springs Hill Country Resort
🏌️♂️ October 30: Practice Round
🏌️♂️ October 31: Round 1 (Includes Lunch)
🏆 November 1: Round 2 (Prizes/Awards/Includes lunch)
There will ... 1 Likes
- 🚨Registration for the #USWomensFourBall Qualifying closes Sept. 9th!
🏆U.S. Women’s Four-Ball Championship
⛳️Maridoe Golf Club
🗓April 24-28, 2021
Local Qualifying Sites:
Rangers Golf Club - Arlington - Sept. 23
Magnolia Creek GC - League City-Nov. 12
Apply to ...
- TGA Announces Fall Event Series for Men and Women 📢 TGA Announces Fall Series Events - a slate of new competitive tournaments for men & women with at least one new event conducted in Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and the Austin-San Antonio Hill Country area. Follow the link to learn ... 14 Likes
- Timeline Photos We have two more volunteer days coming up this fall with The Spirit Golf Association at the Houston Food Bank! Follow the links to volunteer:
Monday, September 14
Saturday, October 10
https://buff.ly/2QCnuvG 3 Likes
- Jim Brown Honored with Bob Wells Volunteerism Award We are pleased to announce longtime director & past president Jim Brown has received the Bob Wells Distinguished Service Award, the TGA’s highest honor for individuals who’ve contributed to the growth of the game through volunteerism & meritorious service. 23 CommentsRavi Shah Congratulations from the Shahs. Your service to junior golf has and will continue to leave a profound legacy..Anna Schultz Congratulations Jim!! You are very deserving of this award!Chhaya Shah Congratulations Jim. Couldn’t think of a better person who deserves this recognition.52 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jason Schultz of Allen and Prosper’s Russell Williams card a final round 6-under-par 66 to go wire-to-wire and win the #Texas4Ball by three strokes at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course. The were 26-under for the championship.
In the ... 2 CommentsMark Ellis Congratulations Russell! That little course in Crockett churns out some excellent players! 😊Clay Hughey Way to go Russell Williams. Congrats to Sparky and Kennedy too. You guys represented East Texas well.21 Likes
- Following their brilliant 12-under-par 60 in Round 1, Russell Williams and Jason Schultz card an 8-under-par 64 in Round 2 at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course to post 20-under through 36 holes and lead the field by three.
... 1 CommentsJeff Atkinson Congrats, heck of a tournament!8 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Russell Williams & Jason Schultz have known each other since competing as collegiate golfers in the ‘90s. On Friday, they teamed up to card an opening round 12-under-par 60 at the Texas Four-Ball and lead the field by two strokes.
... 16 Likes
- The Spirit Golf Association Announces Appointment of Charlie Epps, PGA, as Interim President The Spirit Golf Association announced today that long-time PGA Professional Charlie Epps will serve as interim president. Epps has served on the SGA Board of Directors since January 2020. Get the full details by clicking the link below. 5 Likes
- Teammates Faith Delagarza and Amari Smith win back to back #WomensFourBall Championship 🏆
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/womens-four-ball-championship-2020-leaderboard 4 Likes