Cooper, Alberto, Houston Win Women's Stroke Play Championship
Cooper, Alberto, Houston Win Women’s Stroke Play Championship
KINGWOOD – Julie Houston of Allen, Hailee Cooper of Montgomery and Kingwood’s Hanna Alberto win the 2017 Women’s Stroke Play Championship after finishing in a tie at 3-under-par thru 36-holes. Dangerous weather characterized Saturday morning at The Clubs of Kingwood – Island Course. The TGA staff delayed the final round of the championship at 7:44 a.m. and ultimately called off competition at 12:30 p.m.
Steady showers throughout the afternoon and electricity in the sky ruled out a potential sudden death playoff. Cooper, Houston and Alberto will be awarded the same amount of TGA Women’s Player of the Year points as individual state champions.
Houston, the 2016 WTGA State Amateur runner-up, began the Women’s Stroke Play with a 4-under-par 69 to lead the field. She carded a 1-over-par 74 yesterday to finish the 36-hole championship tied at the top.
“We have competed for a long time against each other, so being able to play side by side in this tournament was amazing,” said Houston, the 2015 Eclectic champion. “Winning with these girls is an honor.”
It’s been quite the week for the UTSA men’s and women’s golf teams. On Sunday, Zander Lozano, a two-time winner on the men’s team, won the 108th Texas Amateur by four shots at historic Lakewood Country Club in Dallas. The next day, incoming freshman Chad Sewell won medalist honors and qualified for the U.S. Junior Amateur at Champions Golf Club. Now Houston, a UTSA junior, finishes co-medalist at the season’s first TGA Women’s major championship.
“Picking small targets was really big for me this week,” Houston said. “I just tried to play smart.”
Cooper, 17, carded rounds of 75-68 en route to posting 3-under-par for the tournament. The Legends Junior Tour standout and 2018 University of Texas commit now etches her name into TGA Women’s history.
“Texas is such a great golf state because were so competitive,” Cooper said. “It was great competition all week, so it is awesome finish on top with them.”
Cooper, the 2015 UIL State Champion, will begin her senior year at Montgomery High School in the fall.
Alberto, a sophomore at Sam Houston State, grew up playing The Clubs of Kingwood. She had many family members following her throughout the tournament and they were there to celebrate her victory. The Kingwood Park High School alum posted 70-73 en route to co-medalist honors.
“There is so many great players in this state and I am glad I got to compete with them,” Alberto said. “On this golf course you must pin point where you are going to leave your ball, and I tried to manage that difficultly.”
Alberto and Houston are scheduled to compete in the 96th WTGA State Amateur Championship at Traditions Club in Bryan July 18-21.
Megan Thothong, the 2016 Women’s Stroke Play champion, finished solo fourth at 1-under-par after rounds of 71-74. Rounding out the top-5 was Oklahoma State senior Maddie McCrary at 2-over-par 148.
Lucy Nunn, the University of Houston assistant women’s golf coach, finished as the low mid-amateur. She posted rounds of 74-76 to finish 3-over and tied for seventh place overall.
The TGA extends its warmest and most sincere appreciation to the staff and members of The Clubs of Kingwood, as well as our volunteers, for their integral part in making the 2017 Women’s Stroke Play a memorable and successful event. For more information about this championship click here.
- The 2021 Texas Golf Association Amateur Championship to begin this weekend! Hear from our very own John Cochran about the #SouthAm taking place this weekend at Galveston Country Club.
ℹ️ Follow along here: https://t.co/tCvFKgk5XL
📽 via FOX 26 Houston
https://www-fox26houston-com.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/www.fox26houston.com/video/963263.amp 23 Likes
- Texas Golf Association on Twitter 🚨MIXER ALERT🚨 Join us for #HappyHour! Register solo or up to a team of six! Price includes 2hrs of #Topgolf, buffet & more! Compete for raffles & prizes. Guests 21+ enjoy a round of beer/wine on us! SPACE IS LIMITED. ... 1 Likes
- It is with deep sadness that the TGA announces the passing of John Semander. The longtime TGA volunteer and Past Director passed away on July 27. He was 89 years old.
Read More: https://bit.ly/3xiWlB0 13 CommentsOh man so sorry to hear. He was an incredible man!!! I’m glad that I had the privilege to work ...A good man with such a warm demeanor and servants heart. He was that rare person who could put a ...A lovely man, was so kind to me when I worked over there. Have such positive memories of him. RIP John33 Likes
- TGA Par-Tee | TopGolf Dallas Come Par-Tee with the TGA for #HappyHour at #Topgolf #Dallas! Enjoy a buffet of food, drinks, snacks & desserts, plus 2 hours of 🏌️♂️! Bays will compete for #SwagBags & a #FunGolf Play Day for two! Did we mention the ... 1 Likes
- Pairings and starting times for the Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play have been released! More info 👇
⏰Starting times: https://www.txga.org/2021-texas-mid-amateur-match-play-leaderboard/
Texas Golf Association is at Trinity Forest Golf Club. 1 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Congratulations to the 93rd West Texas Amateur Champion Garrett Leek🏆
🏆Senior Champion: Mike Booker
🏆Super Senior Champion: Craig Urban
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 24 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jansen Smith of San Angelo and Garrett Leek of Brock share the lead through two rounds at the #WestTexasAm 🏜
18 holes remain at Abilene Country Club (South Course)
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - ... 6 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🪣 🪣 bucket hats are out in full force. Round 2 of the #WestTexasAm is in action.
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/west-texas-amateur-leaderboard-2021
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 7 Likes
- Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play Set for July 22-25 The Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play is set for July 22-25 pitting the top amateur golfers age 25+ against one another at Trinity Forest Golf Club, one of the most unique venues in Texas. Follow the link for more! 7 Likes
- TGA Players Box #TGAMembers Check your email inboxes for your exclusive #TexasTuesday deal, brought to you by the #TGAPlayersBox X @shortpar4. Save on men's and women's G/FORE shoes available for only $145 and 4 doz. TaylorMade balls for only $144! Want more deals? ...
- EMMA MCMYLER is your 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur Champion! #rivercrestcountryclub #100texasamateur
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 23 CommentsWay to go, Emma! 👏⛳️🎊Congratulations Emma! So proud of you!!Congrats Emma. Great result. Up Louisburgh!!64 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post The four semifinalists competing to advance to the championship round of the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur have began their matches!
live scoring: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 9 Likes
- We want to thank all of our amazing volunteers who came out to help at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur!
This wouldn’t be possible without you guys
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 1 CommentsThank you! USGA Volunteers!15 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post After 2 rounds of match play, these elite 8 players will compete tomorrow in the quarterfinals.
scores from this afternoon: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 8 Likes
- The day is not over yet 🤯 The 16 winners of this morning’s matches are going back out again!
The second round of matches is underway at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur #rivercrestcountryclub #100texasamateur
Texas Golf Association is at River ... 1 CommentsWatching and cheering the women golfers on from Fair Oaks Ranch!10 Likes
- The TGA sincerely thanks the all River Crest Country Club staff and grounds crew. The 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur couldn’t happen without you and we are grateful for all your hard work.
Texas Golf Association is at River ... 3 CommentsWe couldn’t have wonderful courses without them-thanks!!At every course this is the group of men/women that make it possible for their members to enjoy the sport ...River Crest is so beautiful!26 Likes
- and just like that, match 1 is over 😱 with no. 1 seed Kenlie Barrett defeating no. 32 seed Cari Denson at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur
(8 & 7)!!
keep following along: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is ... 3 Likes