Dossey Leads Byron Nelson Junior Championship
Dossey Leads Byron Nelson Junior Championship
DALLAS – Luke Dossey of Austin said 72 was the worst score he could have shot after yesterday’s opening round. He hit 17 greens but could not get the ball to drop on the putting surfaces. On Wednesday, however, Dossey’s ball-striking was complimented by an improved effort on the greens. He fired a 3-under-par 68 to post 2-under 140 through 36 holes and leads the Byron Nelson Junior Championship by one stroke.
“The putts dropped today,” said Dossey, a 2019 Baylor University commit. “I still struck the ball really well.”
Dossey, 17, backed up to start the second round with a bogey on the par-4 third hole. He bounced back with a birdie on the par-5 fourth. Dossey’s tee shot on the par-3 fifth finished 25 feet to the right of the hole. He stood over the downhill putt, gave one last look and poured in his birdie. Dossey closed his opening nine holes with a birdie on the par-5 ninth to go out in 2-under 34.
The back nine followed suit. Dossey’s bogey free closing loop was highlighted by an up and down for birdie out of the right greenside bunker on the par-5 17th. He was greeted by a fist bump from his older brother and caddie, Cooper Dossey.
Dossey’s older brother helped to slow him down throughout the round. Cooper, a sophomore at Baylor, leaned on his own experience as he caddied for Luke.
“He has been in a lot of situations like this before,” Dossey said. “He just did a great job today of calming me down, slowing me down and making sure I was not getting quick over the ball or even in my pre-shot routine.”
Dossey missed the cut by two shots at last year’s Byron Nelson Junior Championship. This year, the Vandergrift High School junior holds the 36-hole lead and said he plans to simply stick to his game plan.
“I am just going to go out there and keep on hitting the ball like I am,” Dossey said. “Hopefully me and Cooper can match our read with my speed tomorrow on those putts.”
Mike McGraw, the Baylor Men’s Golf head coach, and Ryan Blagg, a Baylor assistant coach, followed their 2019 commit throughout Round 2. They were not alone. More than 25 coaches from across the nation were in attendance at Lakewood Country Club.
The Texas A&M assistant golf coach, Brian Kortan, was among them. He followed 2018 commit, Sam Bennett, who made a statement of his own Wednesday.
Bennett fired a 4-under-par 67 to climb the leaderboard into solo second. After bogeying the par-4 second hole, Bennett played his final 16 holes bogey free. He cashed in five birdies, including a near hole out from the fairway on the par-4 15th.
Bennett, who posted 3-over 74 yesterday, said he leaned on the late evening advice from his brother, Marcus.
“He texted me, ‘play safe but swing aggressive,’” Bennett said. “I was really just playing good the whole way through.”
The senior at Madisonville High School finished T10 in the 2015 Byron Nelson Junior Championship. He said he plans to stay relaxed and come into the final round with the same “safe, yet aggressive” mentality.
Nathan Petronzio of Bee Cave, Jack Randle of The Woodlands and Temple’s William Paysse will begin the final round at even par. They all share third place, just two shots off the lead.
Thirty-three players made the cut. They will tee it up in the final round starting Thursday at 8 a.m. For more information on the Byron Nelson Junior Championship click here.
- The 2021 Texas Golf Association Amateur Championship to begin this weekend! Hear from our very own John Cochran about the #SouthAm taking place this weekend at Galveston Country Club.
ℹ️ Follow along here: https://t.co/tCvFKgk5XL
📽 via FOX 26 Houston
https://www-fox26houston-com.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/www.fox26houston.com/video/963263.amp 23 Likes
- Texas Golf Association on Twitter 🚨MIXER ALERT🚨 Join us for #HappyHour! Register solo or up to a team of six! Price includes 2hrs of #Topgolf, buffet & more! Compete for raffles & prizes. Guests 21+ enjoy a round of beer/wine on us! SPACE IS LIMITED. ... 1 Likes
- It is with deep sadness that the TGA announces the passing of John Semander. The longtime TGA volunteer and Past Director passed away on July 27. He was 89 years old.
Read More: https://bit.ly/3xiWlB0 13 CommentsOh man so sorry to hear. He was an incredible man!!! I’m glad that I had the privilege to work ...A good man with such a warm demeanor and servants heart. He was that rare person who could put a ...A lovely man, was so kind to me when I worked over there. Have such positive memories of him. RIP John33 Likes
- TGA Par-Tee | TopGolf Dallas Come Par-Tee with the TGA for #HappyHour at #Topgolf #Dallas! Enjoy a buffet of food, drinks, snacks & desserts, plus 2 hours of 🏌️♂️! Bays will compete for #SwagBags & a #FunGolf Play Day for two! Did we mention the ... 1 Likes
- Pairings and starting times for the Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play have been released! More info 👇
⏰Starting times: https://www.txga.org/2021-texas-mid-amateur-match-play-leaderboard/
Texas Golf Association is at Trinity Forest Golf Club. 1 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Congratulations to the 93rd West Texas Amateur Champion Garrett Leek🏆
🏆Senior Champion: Mike Booker
🏆Super Senior Champion: Craig Urban
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 24 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jansen Smith of San Angelo and Garrett Leek of Brock share the lead through two rounds at the #WestTexasAm 🏜
18 holes remain at Abilene Country Club (South Course)
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - ... 6 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🪣 🪣 bucket hats are out in full force. Round 2 of the #WestTexasAm is in action.
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/west-texas-amateur-leaderboard-2021
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 7 Likes
- Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play Set for July 22-25 The Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play is set for July 22-25 pitting the top amateur golfers age 25+ against one another at Trinity Forest Golf Club, one of the most unique venues in Texas. Follow the link for more! 7 Likes
- TGA Players Box #TGAMembers Check your email inboxes for your exclusive #TexasTuesday deal, brought to you by the #TGAPlayersBox X @shortpar4. Save on men's and women's G/FORE shoes available for only $145 and 4 doz. TaylorMade balls for only $144! Want more deals? ...
- EMMA MCMYLER is your 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur Champion! #rivercrestcountryclub #100texasamateur
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 23 CommentsWay to go, Emma! 👏⛳️🎊Congratulations Emma! So proud of you!!Congrats Emma. Great result. Up Louisburgh!!64 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post The four semifinalists competing to advance to the championship round of the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur have began their matches!
live scoring: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 9 Likes
- We want to thank all of our amazing volunteers who came out to help at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur!
This wouldn’t be possible without you guys
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 1 CommentsThank you! USGA Volunteers!15 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post After 2 rounds of match play, these elite 8 players will compete tomorrow in the quarterfinals.
scores from this afternoon: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 8 Likes
- The day is not over yet 🤯 The 16 winners of this morning’s matches are going back out again!
The second round of matches is underway at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur #rivercrestcountryclub #100texasamateur
Texas Golf Association is at River ... 1 CommentsWatching and cheering the women golfers on from Fair Oaks Ranch!10 Likes
- The TGA sincerely thanks the all River Crest Country Club staff and grounds crew. The 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur couldn’t happen without you and we are grateful for all your hard work.
Texas Golf Association is at River ... 3 CommentsWe couldn’t have wonderful courses without them-thanks!!At every course this is the group of men/women that make it possible for their members to enjoy the sport ...River Crest is so beautiful!26 Likes
- and just like that, match 1 is over 😱 with no. 1 seed Kenlie Barrett defeating no. 32 seed Cari Denson at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur
(8 & 7)!!
keep following along: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is ... 3 Likes