Luke Dossey Wins Bryon Nelson Junior Championship
Luke Dossey Wins Byron Nelson Junior Championship
DALLAS – Luke Dossey stood on the first tee box Thursday at Lakewood Country Club with a one-shot lead in the Byron Nelson Junior Championship. His older brother and caddie, Cooper, wrapped his arm around him minutes before his opening tee shot. Nearly five hours later, Dossey was embraced by his older brother once again. This time on the 18th green as the 2017 Byron Nelson Junior Champion.
“It means a lot,” Dossey said. “There are a lot of great names up on that champions board and just to join them is really special.”
Dossey, 17, opened his final round with three straight pars; however, bogeys on the par-5 fourth and par-3 fifth quickly dropped him into a share for the lead. Not fazed, Dossey birdied three of his closing four holes to card 1-under 35 on the front side. He made the turn with a one-shot lead over Nathan Petronzio of Austin.
Petronzio, 15, showed the most poise early. The rising sophomore at Lake Travis High School closed his bogey free front nine with an 8-foot birdie on the par-5 ninth.
Sam Bennett of Madisonville was the third member of the final group. He bogeyed three of his first five holes, but birdied the par-4 sixth and the par-3 seventh to turn in 1-over 37.
The back nine became the story of Dossey versus Bennett. Petronzio played steady, but the pin-seeking display from the future Big 12 opponents was unmatched. Bennett made the first move with back-to-back birdies on the par-4 11th and par-3 12th. Dossey responded. He joined Bennett for birdie on the par-3 14th and again on the par-4 15th.
Dossey, a 2019 Baylor commit, led Bennet, a 2018 Texas A&M commit, by one shot heading into the final three holes. Bennett parred 16. Dossey parred 16. The leaderboard was untouched with two holes to play.
Bennett made some noise on the par-5 17th. He played his third shot from underneath a tree to within inches and proceeded to tap in for birdie. Dossey would have the chance answer with a birdie of his own. Just two and a half feet separated his ball from the hole. He stroked back and through. The ball caught the right edge of the cup and spun out. Bennett and Dossey were tied at 4-under-par for the tournament heading into the final hole.
Both found the fairway on the par-4 18th and spun their approach shots off the green and down the false front. Dossey and Bennett stood over similar chip shots for their third. Dossey played first and left himself four feet for par. Bennett’s chip ran out past the pin to just under 10-feet.
Bennett missed his par putt. Dossey immediately received some words of encouragement from his older brother. He stepped up to the ball, gave it one last look and poured in the biggest putt of his young golf career.
“When I three-putted for par on 17 my heart just sunk,” Dossey said. “He (Cooper) just told me your still in this and just go hit a good shot and that’s what we did.”
Dossey joins PGA Tour winners Jordan Spieth and Cody Gribble along with a host of other talented past champions of the Byron Nelson Junior Championship.
Petronzio carded a final round 1-under 70 to clinch solo third overall. Jack Randle of The Woodlands, Trey Bosco of Austin, Turner Hosch and Sam Clayman of Dallas, Paul Gonzalez of Waxahachie, Jansen Smith of San Angelo and Houston’s Grant Lincecum rounded out this year’s top ten.
Peggy Nelson congratulated each of the top-10 finishers and presented the Byron Nelson Junior Championship trophy to Dossey. She expressed her gratitude for Lakewood Country Club, the Legends Junior Tour and the entire 2017 field.
The Legends Junior Tour extends its warmest and most sincere appreciation to the staff and members of Lakewood Country Club, as well as our volunteers, for their integral part in making the 2017 Byron Nelson Junior Championship a memorable and successful event. For more information about this championship click here.
- The 2021 Texas Golf Association Amateur Championship to begin this weekend! Hear from our very own John Cochran about the #SouthAm taking place this weekend at Galveston Country Club.
ℹ️ Follow along here: https://t.co/tCvFKgk5XL
📽 via FOX 26 Houston
https://www-fox26houston-com.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/www.fox26houston.com/video/963263.amp 23 Likes
- Texas Golf Association on Twitter 🚨MIXER ALERT🚨 Join us for #HappyHour! Register solo or up to a team of six! Price includes 2hrs of #Topgolf, buffet & more! Compete for raffles & prizes. Guests 21+ enjoy a round of beer/wine on us! SPACE IS LIMITED. ... 1 Likes
- It is with deep sadness that the TGA announces the passing of John Semander. The longtime TGA volunteer and Past Director passed away on July 27. He was 89 years old.
Read More: https://bit.ly/3xiWlB0 13 CommentsOh man so sorry to hear. He was an incredible man!!! I’m glad that I had the privilege to work ...A good man with such a warm demeanor and servants heart. He was that rare person who could put a ...A lovely man, was so kind to me when I worked over there. Have such positive memories of him. RIP John33 Likes
- TGA Par-Tee | TopGolf Dallas Come Par-Tee with the TGA for #HappyHour at #Topgolf #Dallas! Enjoy a buffet of food, drinks, snacks & desserts, plus 2 hours of 🏌️♂️! Bays will compete for #SwagBags & a #FunGolf Play Day for two! Did we mention the ... 1 Likes
- Pairings and starting times for the Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play have been released! More info 👇
⏰Starting times: https://www.txga.org/2021-texas-mid-amateur-match-play-leaderboard/
Texas Golf Association is at Trinity Forest Golf Club. 1 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Congratulations to the 93rd West Texas Amateur Champion Garrett Leek🏆
🏆Senior Champion: Mike Booker
🏆Super Senior Champion: Craig Urban
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 24 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jansen Smith of San Angelo and Garrett Leek of Brock share the lead through two rounds at the #WestTexasAm 🏜
18 holes remain at Abilene Country Club (South Course)
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - ... 6 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🪣 🪣 bucket hats are out in full force. Round 2 of the #WestTexasAm is in action.
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/west-texas-amateur-leaderboard-2021
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 7 Likes
- Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play Set for July 22-25 The Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play is set for July 22-25 pitting the top amateur golfers age 25+ against one another at Trinity Forest Golf Club, one of the most unique venues in Texas. Follow the link for more! 7 Likes
- TGA Players Box #TGAMembers Check your email inboxes for your exclusive #TexasTuesday deal, brought to you by the #TGAPlayersBox X @shortpar4. Save on men's and women's G/FORE shoes available for only $145 and 4 doz. TaylorMade balls for only $144! Want more deals? ...
- EMMA MCMYLER is your 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur Champion! #rivercrestcountryclub #100texasamateur
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 23 CommentsWay to go, Emma! 👏⛳️🎊Congratulations Emma! So proud of you!!Congrats Emma. Great result. Up Louisburgh!!64 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post The four semifinalists competing to advance to the championship round of the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur have began their matches!
live scoring: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 9 Likes
- We want to thank all of our amazing volunteers who came out to help at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur!
This wouldn’t be possible without you guys
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 1 CommentsThank you! USGA Volunteers!15 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post After 2 rounds of match play, these elite 8 players will compete tomorrow in the quarterfinals.
scores from this afternoon: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 8 Likes
- The day is not over yet 🤯 The 16 winners of this morning’s matches are going back out again!
The second round of matches is underway at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur #rivercrestcountryclub #100texasamateur
Texas Golf Association is at River ... 1 CommentsWatching and cheering the women golfers on from Fair Oaks Ranch!10 Likes
- The TGA sincerely thanks the all River Crest Country Club staff and grounds crew. The 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur couldn’t happen without you and we are grateful for all your hard work.
Texas Golf Association is at River ... 3 CommentsWe couldn’t have wonderful courses without them-thanks!!At every course this is the group of men/women that make it possible for their members to enjoy the sport ...River Crest is so beautiful!26 Likes
- and just like that, match 1 is over 😱 with no. 1 seed Kenlie Barrett defeating no. 32 seed Cari Denson at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur
(8 & 7)!!
keep following along: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is ... 3 Likes