Women's Stroke Play Receives High Rating from WAGR
The Texas Golf Association is proud to report last week’s third annual Women’s Stroke Play Championship received a “C” rating from the World Amateur Golf Rankings. This was the strongest field in the short life of the event; several competitors ranked in the top 400 in the world rankings.
The definitive resource used worldwide for rankings of amateur golfers and competitions, WAGR grades qualified events on an eight-point scale (from “Elite” down to “G”). A “C” rating falls in the upper-half of the spectrum and placed the strength of the 2017 Women’s Stroke Play Championship field on equal footing with several well-established annual events. The Women’s Southern Amateur, Women’s South Atlantic Amateur (“The Sally”) and the Australian Women’s Amateur Championship routinely receive “C” ratings.
Several collegiate tournaments throughout the schoolyear also fall in the “C” range. The WAGR tournament ratings are derived through a formula based on the number of players in the field ranked inside the WAGR’s top 1,250 for women (WAGR uses the top 1,500 for men’s event ratings) and their positions in the polls.
Wylie’s Maddie McCrary, a senior at Oklahoma State, was the top-ranked player in the Women’s Stroke Play Championship. Winner of the 2015 Texas Women’s Open, McCrary is the world’s 89th-ranked amateur. She finished fifth at the Women’s Stroke Play.
Unfortunately, heavy rains washed out the final round at the Clubs of Kingwood’s Island Course. The TGA crowned three co-champions, each ranked in the WAGR’s top 400. Hanna Alberto from Kingwood (229th), Hailee Cooper from Montgomery (328th) and Julie Houston from Allen (269th) shared the victory at 3-under-par 143.
“Of course we were disappointed with the fact that the weather kept us from finishing the 54-hole championship,” said Katie O’Donnell, the TGA’s Director of Women’s Operations. “We knew we had a solid field with a number of great players. Hearing the news of our ‘C’ rating from WAGR was really exciting. This event has grown quite a bit in a short time, and this success is something we can build on for an even better championship next year.”
For more information on the 2017 Women’s Stroke Play, including complete results, click here.
- TPC San Antonio Play Day Event Portal :: Welcome Play where the Pros play as we head south to play TPC San Antonio's AT&T Oak's Course.⠀
📍 TPC San Antonio
📆 Wed., October 14 @ 12PM
🏌️ 2-Person Scramble (Gross & Net)
🏆 Includes Golf & Prizes⠀
... 1 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🏆 Preston Stout and Matthew Comegys are crowned co-champions of the Legends Junior Tour #LJTNorthTXClassic after posting 11-under-par 133 through 36 holes. Ryann Honea and MacKenzie Moore also took home co-champion honors with a one-stroke victory in the Girls 12-18 ... 6 Likes
- 404: Page Not Found | Mailchimp #SaveTheDate: #FunGolf Events are now open in #Houston & #SanAntonio!
Come play in our 2-person scramble at TPC San Antonio (AT&T Oaks Course) on Oct. 14 (gross & net) & Walden on Lake Conroe on Oct. 17 (gross with flights).
- Texas Golf Association Registration Event Portal :: Master Roster Registration The #Fun continues with our most sought after event, the annual #TexasShamble!
📍 Tapatio Springs Hill Country Resort
🏌️♂️ October 30: Practice Round
🏌️♂️ October 31: Round 1 (Includes Lunch)
🏆 November 1: Round 2 (Prizes/Awards/Includes lunch)
There will ... 1 Likes
- 🚨Registration for the #USWomensFourBall Qualifying closes Sept. 9th!
🏆U.S. Women’s Four-Ball Championship
⛳️Maridoe Golf Club
🗓April 24-28, 2021
Local Qualifying Sites:
Rangers Golf Club - Arlington - Sept. 23
Magnolia Creek GC - League City-Nov. 12
Apply to ...
- TGA Announces Fall Event Series for Men and Women 📢 TGA Announces Fall Series Events - a slate of new competitive tournaments for men & women with at least one new event conducted in Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and the Austin-San Antonio Hill Country area. Follow the link to learn ... 14 Likes
- Timeline Photos We have two more volunteer days coming up this fall with The Spirit Golf Association at the Houston Food Bank! Follow the links to volunteer:
Monday, September 14
Saturday, October 10
https://buff.ly/2QCnuvG 3 Likes
- Jim Brown Honored with Bob Wells Volunteerism Award We are pleased to announce longtime director & past president Jim Brown has received the Bob Wells Distinguished Service Award, the TGA’s highest honor for individuals who’ve contributed to the growth of the game through volunteerism & meritorious service. 23 CommentsRavi Shah Congratulations from the Shahs. Your service to junior golf has and will continue to leave a profound legacy..Anna Schultz Congratulations Jim!! You are very deserving of this award!Chhaya Shah Congratulations Jim. Couldn’t think of a better person who deserves this recognition.52 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jason Schultz of Allen and Prosper’s Russell Williams card a final round 6-under-par 66 to go wire-to-wire and win the #Texas4Ball by three strokes at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course. The were 26-under for the championship.
In the ... 2 CommentsMark Ellis Congratulations Russell! That little course in Crockett churns out some excellent players! 😊Clay Hughey Way to go Russell Williams. Congrats to Sparky and Kennedy too. You guys represented East Texas well.21 Likes
- Following their brilliant 12-under-par 60 in Round 1, Russell Williams and Jason Schultz card an 8-under-par 64 in Round 2 at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course to post 20-under through 36 holes and lead the field by three.
... 1 CommentsJeff Atkinson Congrats, heck of a tournament!8 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Russell Williams & Jason Schultz have known each other since competing as collegiate golfers in the ‘90s. On Friday, they teamed up to card an opening round 12-under-par 60 at the Texas Four-Ball and lead the field by two strokes.
... 16 Likes
- The Spirit Golf Association Announces Appointment of Charlie Epps, PGA, as Interim President The Spirit Golf Association announced today that long-time PGA Professional Charlie Epps will serve as interim president. Epps has served on the SGA Board of Directors since January 2020. Get the full details by clicking the link below. 5 Likes
- Teammates Faith Delagarza and Amari Smith win back to back #WomensFourBall Championship 🏆
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/womens-four-ball-championship-2020-leaderboard 4 Likes