Van Zandts and Lindbergs Lead Texas Father-Son
GALVESTON – Defending champions Mark and Andrew Lindberg teamed up to card an 8-under 64 Friday at the Texas Father-Son. They were joined at the top by Scott and Matthew Van Zandt who fired a bogey-free 64 in the first round at Moody Gardens Golf Course. The Lindbergs and Van Zandts hold a one-shot lead in the Championship Division. The father-son duos combined for 17 birdies in their opening round as they climbed to the top of the leaderboard on a wind-blown afternoon.
The Van Zandt duo, playing in their fourth Texas Father-Son, had little expectations for the weekend heading into the event. Scott, the “eternal optimist,” always hopes to take home the trophy at the end of the week, but they both simply enjoy the time together on the course.
“It’s really special for my Dad,” said former Texas A&M golfer Matthew Van Zandt. “I always joke and say this is his major. It’s fun to get out and compete together and have fun together.”
Matthew said finding fairways was key to conquering Moody Gardens. The strategy paid off during round one as he fired eight birdies alone – including four in a five-hole stretch to close the front nine.
The Lindberg team was more balanced as they navigated the bayous lining the paspalum grass golf course. Mark accounted for four birdies while his son Andrew added five of his own en route to their round of 64.
The Texas Father-Son has 78 teams which are divided into a Championship Division and four other flights — the Hogan, Nelson, Crenshaw and Kite. The Championship Division consists of 33 teams who play a gross score format – the actual number of strokes taken during the round. The Net Flights have teams whose gross scores are adjusted by subtracting 80 percent of their handicap (a system used to level competition in competitive golf) to calculate their score.
A four-ball format is used during the first two rounds, with the lowest score between the two players on each team being counted. During the final round, the Championship Division is cut into two separate flights. The top half of the division will play a combined-score format in the final round. The bottom half will continue with the four-ball format.
Jack and John Kennedy of Lufkin, Texas sit atop the Hogan Flight, firing 61 during the opening round. The two combined for 10 birdies during the round and have a two-stroke lead heading to round two.
The team of Darrell and Tim Bowe benefited from an early tee time and were able to score well in the favorable conditions. Tim was particularly successful as he had five birdies in round one. The pair is in the lead of the Nelson Flight after their 10-under 62.
The Crenshaw Flight is led by Hal and Peyton Cook after a bogey-free 61 leaves them at 11-under par. Peyton accounted for six birdies by himself as he shot 66 on his own ball.
David and David Cash, members at Moody Gardens Golf Course, lead the Kite Flight with a score of 15-under par following round one. David and David teamed up to card three natural birdies – each counting as eagles according to the handicap scoring system.
Round two of the Texas Father-Son begins at 7:30 a.m. on Saturday. Click here for tee times, live scoring and more information.
- The 2021 Texas Golf Association Amateur Championship to begin this weekend! Hear from our very own John Cochran about the #SouthAm taking place this weekend at Galveston Country Club.
ℹ️ Follow along here: https://t.co/tCvFKgk5XL
📽 via FOX 26 Houston
https://www-fox26houston-com.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/www.fox26houston.com/video/963263.amp 23 Likes
- Texas Golf Association on Twitter 🚨MIXER ALERT🚨 Join us for #HappyHour! Register solo or up to a team of six! Price includes 2hrs of #Topgolf, buffet & more! Compete for raffles & prizes. Guests 21+ enjoy a round of beer/wine on us! SPACE IS LIMITED. ... 1 Likes
- It is with deep sadness that the TGA announces the passing of John Semander. The longtime TGA volunteer and Past Director passed away on July 27. He was 89 years old.
Read More: https://bit.ly/3xiWlB0 13 CommentsOh man so sorry to hear. He was an incredible man!!! I’m glad that I had the privilege to work ...A good man with such a warm demeanor and servants heart. He was that rare person who could put a ...A lovely man, was so kind to me when I worked over there. Have such positive memories of him. RIP John33 Likes
- TGA Par-Tee | TopGolf Dallas Come Par-Tee with the TGA for #HappyHour at #Topgolf #Dallas! Enjoy a buffet of food, drinks, snacks & desserts, plus 2 hours of 🏌️♂️! Bays will compete for #SwagBags & a #FunGolf Play Day for two! Did we mention the ... 1 Likes
- Pairings and starting times for the Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play have been released! More info 👇
⏰Starting times: https://www.txga.org/2021-texas-mid-amateur-match-play-leaderboard/
Texas Golf Association is at Trinity Forest Golf Club. 1 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Congratulations to the 93rd West Texas Amateur Champion Garrett Leek🏆
🏆Senior Champion: Mike Booker
🏆Super Senior Champion: Craig Urban
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 24 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jansen Smith of San Angelo and Garrett Leek of Brock share the lead through two rounds at the #WestTexasAm 🏜
18 holes remain at Abilene Country Club (South Course)
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - ... 6 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🪣 🪣 bucket hats are out in full force. Round 2 of the #WestTexasAm is in action.
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/west-texas-amateur-leaderboard-2021
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 7 Likes
- Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play Set for July 22-25 The Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play is set for July 22-25 pitting the top amateur golfers age 25+ against one another at Trinity Forest Golf Club, one of the most unique venues in Texas. Follow the link for more! 7 Likes
- TGA Players Box #TGAMembers Check your email inboxes for your exclusive #TexasTuesday deal, brought to you by the #TGAPlayersBox X @shortpar4. Save on men's and women's G/FORE shoes available for only $145 and 4 doz. TaylorMade balls for only $144! Want more deals? ...
- EMMA MCMYLER is your 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur Champion! #rivercrestcountryclub #100texasamateur
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 23 CommentsWay to go, Emma! 👏⛳️🎊Congratulations Emma! So proud of you!!Congrats Emma. Great result. Up Louisburgh!!64 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post The four semifinalists competing to advance to the championship round of the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur have began their matches!
live scoring: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 9 Likes
- We want to thank all of our amazing volunteers who came out to help at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur!
This wouldn’t be possible without you guys
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 1 CommentsThank you! USGA Volunteers!15 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post After 2 rounds of match play, these elite 8 players will compete tomorrow in the quarterfinals.
scores from this afternoon: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 8 Likes
- The day is not over yet 🤯 The 16 winners of this morning’s matches are going back out again!
The second round of matches is underway at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur #rivercrestcountryclub #100texasamateur
Texas Golf Association is at River ... 1 CommentsWatching and cheering the women golfers on from Fair Oaks Ranch!10 Likes
- The TGA sincerely thanks the all River Crest Country Club staff and grounds crew. The 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur couldn’t happen without you and we are grateful for all your hard work.
Texas Golf Association is at River ... 3 CommentsWe couldn’t have wonderful courses without them-thanks!!At every course this is the group of men/women that make it possible for their members to enjoy the sport ...River Crest is so beautiful!26 Likes
- and just like that, match 1 is over 😱 with no. 1 seed Kenlie Barrett defeating no. 32 seed Cari Denson at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur
(8 & 7)!!
keep following along: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is ... 3 Likes