Andrew Hudson Leads West Texas Amateur
Andrew Hudson Leads West Texas Amateur
LUBBOCK – Andrew Hudson of Fort Worth missed the cut at The Rawls Course last year by one shot. Nearly 365 days later, he leads the 89th West Texas Amateur by a shot after an opening round 4-under-par 68 at Lubbock Country Club.
Hudson, 22, birdied three of his first six holes and made the turn at 3-under 33. He followed a “sloppy” bogey on the par-4 10th with a birdie on the uphill par-5 11th. Hudson sandwiched a bogey on the par-4 15th with birdies on par-4 14th and 16th.
“I hit most of my fairways, and then when it was loose I was able to get up and down and make a bunch of saves,” said Hudson, a senior at University of North Texas. “I have been playing really well for the last couple months and it was nice to see it all come together.”
Hudson leads a field stacked with notable names near the top of the leaderboard. Lubbock local and 1998 West Texas Amateur champion Michael Pruitt fired a 3-under 69. He is tied second overall with Baxter Ward of Nacogdoches. Devin Jackson of Longview, Beau Burgess and David Bolen of Lubbock and the defending champion, Andrew Wyatt, all posted 2-under 70 and are tied fourth.
Eli Tran, 13, is the youngest in the field. The Lubbock native plays regularly at Lubbock Country Club and sits well within contention after Round 1. He carded two birdies and a bogey in his opening 18 holes to finish at 1-under-par. He is currently three shots back and tied eighth overall.
“I played a really steady round today,” Tran said.
Mike Peck of Irving and Albany’s Mike Cotter lead the Senior Division after rounds of 3-under 69. Peck, the 2013 West Texas Amateur senior champion, bogeyed the par-4 14th (his fifth hole of the day), but played his closing 13 holes in 4-under-par.
Patrick Pritchett of Lubbock and Mike Arnold of Windcrest lead the Super Senior Division. Pritchett and Arnold shot 1-over 73 to lead the field by three strokes.
Lubbock Country Club is playing host to the West Texas Amateur for the for the first time in 30 years. The 160-acre landscape has been home to one of West Texas’ finest golf courses since 1921. In the mid-1950s, Warren Cantrell redesigned the tree-lined course and it underwent its latest renovation in 2008 by Craig Schreiner. Over the years, the classic and traditional look has never left Lubbock Country Club.
The second round of the 89th West Texas Amateur begins Saturday at 7:30 a.m. For more information click here.
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🏆 Preston Stout and Matthew Comegys are crowned co-champions of the Legends Junior Tour #LJTNorthTXClassic after posting 11-under-par 133 through 36 holes. Ryann Honea and MacKenzie Moore also took home co-champion honors with a one-stroke victory in the Girls 12-18 ... 6 Likes
- 404: Page Not Found | Mailchimp #SaveTheDate: #FunGolf Events are now open in #Houston & #SanAntonio!
Come play in our 2-person scramble at TPC San Antonio (AT&T Oaks Course) on Oct. 14 (gross & net) & Walden on Lake Conroe on Oct. 17 (gross with flights).
- Texas Golf Association Registration Event Portal :: Master Roster Registration The #Fun continues with our most sought after event, the annual #TexasShamble!
📍 Tapatio Springs Hill Country Resort
🏌️♂️ October 30: Practice Round
🏌️♂️ October 31: Round 1 (Includes Lunch)
🏆 November 1: Round 2 (Prizes/Awards/Includes lunch)
There will ... 1 Likes
- 🚨Registration for the #USWomensFourBall Qualifying closes Sept. 9th!
🏆U.S. Women’s Four-Ball Championship
⛳️Maridoe Golf Club
🗓April 24-28, 2021
Local Qualifying Sites:
Rangers Golf Club - Arlington - Sept. 23
Magnolia Creek GC - League City-Nov. 12
Apply to ...
- TGA Announces Fall Event Series for Men and Women 📢 TGA Announces Fall Series Events - a slate of new competitive tournaments for men & women with at least one new event conducted in Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and the Austin-San Antonio Hill Country area. Follow the link to learn ... 14 Likes
- Timeline Photos We have two more volunteer days coming up this fall with The Spirit Golf Association at the Houston Food Bank! Follow the links to volunteer:
Monday, September 14
Saturday, October 10
https://buff.ly/2QCnuvG 3 Likes
- Jim Brown Honored with Bob Wells Volunteerism Award We are pleased to announce longtime director & past president Jim Brown has received the Bob Wells Distinguished Service Award, the TGA’s highest honor for individuals who’ve contributed to the growth of the game through volunteerism & meritorious service. 23 CommentsRavi Shah Congratulations from the Shahs. Your service to junior golf has and will continue to leave a profound legacy..Anna Schultz Congratulations Jim!! You are very deserving of this award!Chhaya Shah Congratulations Jim. Couldn’t think of a better person who deserves this recognition.52 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jason Schultz of Allen and Prosper’s Russell Williams card a final round 6-under-par 66 to go wire-to-wire and win the #Texas4Ball by three strokes at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course. The were 26-under for the championship.
In the ... 2 CommentsMark Ellis Congratulations Russell! That little course in Crockett churns out some excellent players! 😊Clay Hughey Way to go Russell Williams. Congrats to Sparky and Kennedy too. You guys represented East Texas well.21 Likes
- Following their brilliant 12-under-par 60 in Round 1, Russell Williams and Jason Schultz card an 8-under-par 64 in Round 2 at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course to post 20-under through 36 holes and lead the field by three.
... 1 CommentsJeff Atkinson Congrats, heck of a tournament!8 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Russell Williams & Jason Schultz have known each other since competing as collegiate golfers in the ‘90s. On Friday, they teamed up to card an opening round 12-under-par 60 at the Texas Four-Ball and lead the field by two strokes.
... 16 Likes
- The Spirit Golf Association Announces Appointment of Charlie Epps, PGA, as Interim President The Spirit Golf Association announced today that long-time PGA Professional Charlie Epps will serve as interim president. Epps has served on the SGA Board of Directors since January 2020. Get the full details by clicking the link below. 5 Likes
- Teammates Faith Delagarza and Amari Smith win back to back #WomensFourBall Championship 🏆
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/womens-four-ball-championship-2020-leaderboard 4 Likes
- 🎥 Sunday at the #TexasAmateur! What a great week @bootranchtx!
A new champion has been crowned! Congratulations, @treybosco! The TGA extends its sincere appreciation to the @bootranchtx staff and membership for their efforts in making the 111th Texas Amateur ... 9 Likes