David Bolen Wins West Texas Amateur
David Bolen Wins West Texas Amateur
LUBBOCK – David Bolen of Lubbock coasts to a nine-shot victory at his home course of Lubbock Country Club to win the 89th West Texas Amateur. He carded a 4-under-par 68 in the final round to etch his name onto the West Texas Golf Association trophy.
“Individual golf is hard to win,” Bolen said. “It is fun to come out on top and you don’t take it for granted certainly because it doesn’t happen very often.”
Bolen, 38, began the final round with a five-shot lead over the field but felt some pressure early from both of his playing competitors. Baxter Ward of Nacogdoches cut the lead down to two shots through his first two holes. He eagled the par-5 first hole and birdied the par-3 second. Andrew Wyatt, the third member of the final pairing, opened his final round with a pair of birdies to also cut into Bolen’s lead.
However, the Lubbock Country Club member stayed patient. Bolen made par on his first five holes and found his rhythm on the par-5 sixth. He made birdie and followed it with another on the par-4 sixth after stuffing his approach shot to within three feet.
Bolen turned at 1-under par and played the back nine stress free. He carded three birdies on his closing loop to post a bogey free 3-under-par 33. Bolen’s final round 68 concluded his week at 16-under par. He said all facets of the game clicked for him throughout the 54-hole tournament.
“I made those putts that you have to make inside that five to six-foot range,” said Bolen, a 2002 Texas Tech University graduate. “I put that together and it turned out to be a pretty good week.”
Baxter Ward and Andrew Wyatt finished tied second overall at 7-under par. Bolen, Ward and Wyatt will earn exemption into the 109th Texas Amateur at Whispering Pines GC in 2018.
John Pierce of San Antonio won the Senior Division after a 4-under-par 68. He started the day three shots behind the lead, but a 4-under-par closing nine 32 clinched a two-shot victory.
Patrick Pritchett of Lubbock began the final round with a five-shot lead in the Super Senior Division. The reigning Lubbock Country Club Senior Club Champion carded a 1-under-par 71 to win the title by six strokes.
The Texas Golf Association extends its warmest and most sincere appreciation to the staff and members of Lubbock Country Club, as well as our volunteers, for their integral part in making the 89th West Texas Amateur a memorable and successful event. For more information about this championship click here.
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🏆 Preston Stout and Matthew Comegys are crowned co-champions of the Legends Junior Tour #LJTNorthTXClassic after posting 11-under-par 133 through 36 holes. Ryann Honea and MacKenzie Moore also took home co-champion honors with a one-stroke victory in the Girls 12-18 ... 6 Likes
- 404: Page Not Found | Mailchimp #SaveTheDate: #FunGolf Events are now open in #Houston & #SanAntonio!
Come play in our 2-person scramble at TPC San Antonio (AT&T Oaks Course) on Oct. 14 (gross & net) & Walden on Lake Conroe on Oct. 17 (gross with flights).
- Texas Golf Association Registration Event Portal :: Master Roster Registration The #Fun continues with our most sought after event, the annual #TexasShamble!
📍 Tapatio Springs Hill Country Resort
🏌️♂️ October 30: Practice Round
🏌️♂️ October 31: Round 1 (Includes Lunch)
🏆 November 1: Round 2 (Prizes/Awards/Includes lunch)
There will ... 1 Likes
- 🚨Registration for the #USWomensFourBall Qualifying closes Sept. 9th!
🏆U.S. Women’s Four-Ball Championship
⛳️Maridoe Golf Club
🗓April 24-28, 2021
Local Qualifying Sites:
Rangers Golf Club - Arlington - Sept. 23
Magnolia Creek GC - League City-Nov. 12
Apply to ...
- TGA Announces Fall Event Series for Men and Women 📢 TGA Announces Fall Series Events - a slate of new competitive tournaments for men & women with at least one new event conducted in Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and the Austin-San Antonio Hill Country area. Follow the link to learn ... 14 Likes
- Timeline Photos We have two more volunteer days coming up this fall with The Spirit Golf Association at the Houston Food Bank! Follow the links to volunteer:
Monday, September 14
Saturday, October 10
https://buff.ly/2QCnuvG 3 Likes
- Jim Brown Honored with Bob Wells Volunteerism Award We are pleased to announce longtime director & past president Jim Brown has received the Bob Wells Distinguished Service Award, the TGA’s highest honor for individuals who’ve contributed to the growth of the game through volunteerism & meritorious service. 23 CommentsRavi Shah Congratulations from the Shahs. Your service to junior golf has and will continue to leave a profound legacy..Anna Schultz Congratulations Jim!! You are very deserving of this award!Chhaya Shah Congratulations Jim. Couldn’t think of a better person who deserves this recognition.52 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jason Schultz of Allen and Prosper’s Russell Williams card a final round 6-under-par 66 to go wire-to-wire and win the #Texas4Ball by three strokes at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course. The were 26-under for the championship.
In the ... 2 CommentsMark Ellis Congratulations Russell! That little course in Crockett churns out some excellent players! 😊Clay Hughey Way to go Russell Williams. Congrats to Sparky and Kennedy too. You guys represented East Texas well.21 Likes
- Following their brilliant 12-under-par 60 in Round 1, Russell Williams and Jason Schultz card an 8-under-par 64 in Round 2 at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course to post 20-under through 36 holes and lead the field by three.
... 1 CommentsJeff Atkinson Congrats, heck of a tournament!8 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Russell Williams & Jason Schultz have known each other since competing as collegiate golfers in the ‘90s. On Friday, they teamed up to card an opening round 12-under-par 60 at the Texas Four-Ball and lead the field by two strokes.
... 16 Likes
- The Spirit Golf Association Announces Appointment of Charlie Epps, PGA, as Interim President The Spirit Golf Association announced today that long-time PGA Professional Charlie Epps will serve as interim president. Epps has served on the SGA Board of Directors since January 2020. Get the full details by clicking the link below. 5 Likes
- Teammates Faith Delagarza and Amari Smith win back to back #WomensFourBall Championship 🏆
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/womens-four-ball-championship-2020-leaderboard 4 Likes
- 🎥 Sunday at the #TexasAmateur! What a great week @bootranchtx!
A new champion has been crowned! Congratulations, @treybosco! The TGA extends its sincere appreciation to the @bootranchtx staff and membership for their efforts in making the 111th Texas Amateur ... 9 Likes