Andersen, McCrary to Play for 96th WTGA State Am Title
BRYAN – Allie Andersen refused to lose Thursday in her Semifinals Match against No. 1 seed Annika Clark at the 96th WTGA State Amateur Championship. After facing elimination on the 17th hole, Andersen rallied to beat Clark, the 94th WTGA State Am champion, in 20 holes at the Jack Nicklaus and Jack Nicklaus II-designed Traditions Club.
The University of Houston senior advanced to play Oklahoma State senior Maddie McCrary, who outlasted Texas A&M freshman Amber Park, 1 up, in the other Semifinals Match.
“I just tried to stick to the process and hit fairways and greens,” said Andersen, who lost to Clark at Ridgewood Country Club in Waco during the 2015 Semifinals. “I kept fighting and tried to make putts. It was a fight, but it was fun.”
Clark had chances to win the match on the 17th and 18th holes. She missed a 15-footer for par on 17 that would’ve ended it. Then Clark then missed a 4-footer on 18 that also would’ve won the match. After matching pars on the 19th hole, Clark missed the green on the 20th hole. She failed to get up-and-down for par. Andersen two-putted for the victory.
“I’m a believer in all things happen for a reason,” said Clark, who celebrates her 20th birthday on Friday. “It wasn’t meant to be for me this week. I’m happy with the way I played, just not happy with the way it ended.”
McCrary, meanwhile, also orchestrated a comeback in the other Semifinal Match. Hers just took longer to come together. Park came out on fire playing on her college team’s home course. The freshman birdied three of the first five holes in the match to stake a commanding 3-up lead.
That’s when McCrary, the veteran upperclassman ranked 88th in the World Amateur Golf Rankings, began chipping away at her deficit. McCrary capitalized on a Park bogey on the par-3 seventh hole to get to 2 down. The match stayed that way through the turn, but Park made a messy double-bogey on the par-5 10th hole. Park conceded McCrary’s short birdie putt, and McCrary crept closer at 1 down.
McCrary squared the match when she drained a 20-foot birdie on the par-4 14th. Park bogeyed the next hole; McCrary made her par to go 1 up. With three more pars on the closing stretch, McCrary held off Park for the victory.
It sets up a titanic match between Andersen and McCrary, two of the longest-hitting competitors in the 88-player field.
“I’ve played with Maddie before,” Andersen said. “I know she’s long. It’s going to be competitive, and it’s going to be fun.”
Thursday morning’s marquee Quarterfinals match could’ve been dubbed the “Cougar Clash.” Andersen faced her UH teammate Megan Thothong. The match was all square through 17 holes when Andersen flushed a 3-wood from 202 yards to about 20 feet on the 18th hole. She two-putted from there and scored a 1-up victory.
Andersen, who transferred to Houston after two years at Colorado State, never led in the match until it was over. Thothong, winner of the 2015 Texas Women’s Stroke Play Championship, held three 1-up leads, but the two friends were deadlocked for the final seven holes. After a drive into the fairway of the uphill-then-downhill par-5 18th, Andersen and her caddie – boyfriend Justin Jeggle – decided to get aggressive.
“We said, ‘Let’s just go for it. It’s all or nothing here,’” Andersen said. “I pulled 3-wood and it was right at the pin, tracking the whole way. It was tough today, though. Megan played great and she had me down all day.”
In the other Quarterfinals Matches, No. 1 seed Clark survived a gutsy effort by North Texas sophomore Lauren Cox to win 3 and 2. Clark was 3 up through eight holes, but Cox battled back. After a nifty par-save on the ninth hole and birdies on the 11th and 13th, Cox evened the match. Clark responded with a birdie on the 14th and eventually pulled away for good. It was an impressive showing for Cox, who not only played in her first WTGA State Amateur; this was only her second career match play event.
“I thought I did well,” Cox said. “Match play is tricky. I like the competition, and this course really set up well for my game – and for Annika’s game.”
McCrary, the No. 3 seed, held off UT-San Antonio sophomore Madison Kidd for a 3-and-2 victory in the Quarterfinals. Park, the Aggie freshman playing on her school’s home course, defeated Erin Fahey, 2 and 1, in final Quarterfinals Match.
Friday’s 18-hole Championship Match begins at 10:20 a.m. For more information on the 96th WTGA State Amateur, including complete results and the outcomes of the seven flights that were determined by GHIN Handicap Indexes after Tuesday’s Qualifying Round, please click here.
- The 2021 Texas Golf Association Amateur Championship to begin this weekend! Hear from our very own John Cochran about the #SouthAm taking place this weekend at Galveston Country Club.
ℹ️ Follow along here: https://t.co/tCvFKgk5XL
📽 via FOX 26 Houston
https://www-fox26houston-com.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/www.fox26houston.com/video/963263.amp 23 Likes
- Texas Golf Association on Twitter 🚨MIXER ALERT🚨 Join us for #HappyHour! Register solo or up to a team of six! Price includes 2hrs of #Topgolf, buffet & more! Compete for raffles & prizes. Guests 21+ enjoy a round of beer/wine on us! SPACE IS LIMITED. ... 1 Likes
- It is with deep sadness that the TGA announces the passing of John Semander. The longtime TGA volunteer and Past Director passed away on July 27. He was 89 years old.
Read More: https://bit.ly/3xiWlB0 13 CommentsOh man so sorry to hear. He was an incredible man!!! I’m glad that I had the privilege to work ...A good man with such a warm demeanor and servants heart. He was that rare person who could put a ...A lovely man, was so kind to me when I worked over there. Have such positive memories of him. RIP John33 Likes
- TGA Par-Tee | TopGolf Dallas Come Par-Tee with the TGA for #HappyHour at #Topgolf #Dallas! Enjoy a buffet of food, drinks, snacks & desserts, plus 2 hours of 🏌️♂️! Bays will compete for #SwagBags & a #FunGolf Play Day for two! Did we mention the ... 1 Likes
- Pairings and starting times for the Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play have been released! More info 👇
⏰Starting times: https://www.txga.org/2021-texas-mid-amateur-match-play-leaderboard/
Texas Golf Association is at Trinity Forest Golf Club. 1 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Congratulations to the 93rd West Texas Amateur Champion Garrett Leek🏆
🏆Senior Champion: Mike Booker
🏆Super Senior Champion: Craig Urban
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 24 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jansen Smith of San Angelo and Garrett Leek of Brock share the lead through two rounds at the #WestTexasAm 🏜
18 holes remain at Abilene Country Club (South Course)
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - ... 6 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🪣 🪣 bucket hats are out in full force. Round 2 of the #WestTexasAm is in action.
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/west-texas-amateur-leaderboard-2021
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 7 Likes
- Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play Set for July 22-25 The Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play is set for July 22-25 pitting the top amateur golfers age 25+ against one another at Trinity Forest Golf Club, one of the most unique venues in Texas. Follow the link for more! 7 Likes
- TGA Players Box #TGAMembers Check your email inboxes for your exclusive #TexasTuesday deal, brought to you by the #TGAPlayersBox X @shortpar4. Save on men's and women's G/FORE shoes available for only $145 and 4 doz. TaylorMade balls for only $144! Want more deals? ...
- EMMA MCMYLER is your 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur Champion! #rivercrestcountryclub #100texasamateur
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 23 CommentsWay to go, Emma! 👏⛳️🎊Congratulations Emma! So proud of you!!Congrats Emma. Great result. Up Louisburgh!!64 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post The four semifinalists competing to advance to the championship round of the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur have began their matches!
live scoring: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 9 Likes
- We want to thank all of our amazing volunteers who came out to help at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur!
This wouldn’t be possible without you guys
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 1 CommentsThank you! USGA Volunteers!15 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post After 2 rounds of match play, these elite 8 players will compete tomorrow in the quarterfinals.
scores from this afternoon: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 8 Likes
- The day is not over yet 🤯 The 16 winners of this morning’s matches are going back out again!
The second round of matches is underway at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur #rivercrestcountryclub #100texasamateur
Texas Golf Association is at River ... 1 CommentsWatching and cheering the women golfers on from Fair Oaks Ranch!10 Likes
- The TGA sincerely thanks the all River Crest Country Club staff and grounds crew. The 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur couldn’t happen without you and we are grateful for all your hard work.
Texas Golf Association is at River ... 3 CommentsWe couldn’t have wonderful courses without them-thanks!!At every course this is the group of men/women that make it possible for their members to enjoy the sport ...River Crest is so beautiful!26 Likes
- and just like that, match 1 is over 😱 with no. 1 seed Kenlie Barrett defeating no. 32 seed Cari Denson at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur
(8 & 7)!!
keep following along: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is ... 3 Likes