Colby Harwell Paces Field at Mid-Amateur Match Play
One year ago, Colby Harwell shared medalist honors with three others during stroke-play qualifying for the Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play at Northwood Club in Dallas. This year at San Antonio Country Club, he again finds himself atop the leaderboard after stroke-play qualifying. This time, he is alone. Harwell fired a 5-under-par 67 on Thursday, using five birdies to pace the 2017 Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play field.
“I was really driving the ball well,” Harwell said. “I don’t think I played outside the center of the fairway but just the one time. Makes it kind of nice on a short golf course to hit a lot of wedges and short irons in.”
Harwell, a San Antonio resident, is familiar with the rolling hills and tree-lined fairways of the Alex Findlay-designed track. He plays San Antonio Country Club at least twice a week, and his comfort on the course was reflected on the scoreboard as he posted a score four shots better than his nearest competitors.
Scott Abbott and John Pierce each shot 1-under-par 71 to nab the second and third seeds, respectively, for the match play tournament. Both players recorded four birdies and three bogeys to finish as the only competitors under par other than Harwell.
A trio of players finished at even par – Chris Headen, Danny Simmerman and Will Osborne – to round out the top six seeds for match play.
The top 32 players from stroke-play qualifying advance to the single-elimination match play portion of the event. Thirty-two players fired scores of 5-over-par 77 or better on Thursday to secure their spot in the bracket.
Last year, Harwell kept up his momentum from stroke play and advanced all the way to the championship match. He hopes he can replicate those results this time around. But his hot play was not enough to carve his name into the trophy last July. Harwell fell in the championship match to Zach Atkinson – a result that fuels him this year.
“It just kind of lights a little fire underneath me,” Harwell said. “I’d like to win – cause Zach and I both played really well (last year). I’d like to play well again and have a chance to hold the trophy at the end of it.”
Starting times for the Round of 32 for match play will begin at 7:30 a.m. on the 1st tee, with No. 1 seed Colby Harwell facing No. 32 seed Ted Waldrip. After all the morning matches are complete, the Round of 16 will begin at approximately 1:00 p.m. For complete results and updated brackets, click here.
- TPC San Antonio Play Day Event Portal :: Welcome Play where the Pros play as we head south to play TPC San Antonio's AT&T Oak's Course.⠀
📍 TPC San Antonio
📆 Wed., October 14 @ 12PM
🏌️ 2-Person Scramble (Gross & Net)
🏆 Includes Golf & Prizes⠀
... 2 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🏆 Preston Stout and Matthew Comegys are crowned co-champions of the Legends Junior Tour #LJTNorthTXClassic after posting 11-under-par 133 through 36 holes. Ryann Honea and MacKenzie Moore also took home co-champion honors with a one-stroke victory in the Girls 12-18 ... 6 Likes
- 404: Page Not Found | Mailchimp #SaveTheDate: #FunGolf Events are now open in #Houston & #SanAntonio!
Come play in our 2-person scramble at TPC San Antonio (AT&T Oaks Course) on Oct. 14 (gross & net) & Walden on Lake Conroe on Oct. 17 (gross with flights).
- Texas Golf Association Registration Event Portal :: Master Roster Registration The #Fun continues with our most sought after event, the annual #TexasShamble!
📍 Tapatio Springs Hill Country Resort
🏌️♂️ October 30: Practice Round
🏌️♂️ October 31: Round 1 (Includes Lunch)
🏆 November 1: Round 2 (Prizes/Awards/Includes lunch)
There will ... 1 Likes
- 🚨Registration for the #USWomensFourBall Qualifying closes Sept. 9th!
🏆U.S. Women’s Four-Ball Championship
⛳️Maridoe Golf Club
🗓April 24-28, 2021
Local Qualifying Sites:
Rangers Golf Club - Arlington - Sept. 23
Magnolia Creek GC - League City-Nov. 12
Apply to ...
- TGA Announces Fall Event Series for Men and Women 📢 TGA Announces Fall Series Events - a slate of new competitive tournaments for men & women with at least one new event conducted in Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and the Austin-San Antonio Hill Country area. Follow the link to learn ... 14 Likes
- Timeline Photos We have two more volunteer days coming up this fall with The Spirit Golf Association at the Houston Food Bank! Follow the links to volunteer:
Monday, September 14
Saturday, October 10
https://buff.ly/2QCnuvG 3 Likes
- Jim Brown Honored with Bob Wells Volunteerism Award We are pleased to announce longtime director & past president Jim Brown has received the Bob Wells Distinguished Service Award, the TGA’s highest honor for individuals who’ve contributed to the growth of the game through volunteerism & meritorious service. 23 CommentsRavi Shah Congratulations from the Shahs. Your service to junior golf has and will continue to leave a profound legacy..Anna Schultz Congratulations Jim!! You are very deserving of this award!Chhaya Shah Congratulations Jim. Couldn’t think of a better person who deserves this recognition.52 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jason Schultz of Allen and Prosper’s Russell Williams card a final round 6-under-par 66 to go wire-to-wire and win the #Texas4Ball by three strokes at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course. The were 26-under for the championship.
In the ... 2 CommentsMark Ellis Congratulations Russell! That little course in Crockett churns out some excellent players! 😊Clay Hughey Way to go Russell Williams. Congrats to Sparky and Kennedy too. You guys represented East Texas well.21 Likes
- Following their brilliant 12-under-par 60 in Round 1, Russell Williams and Jason Schultz card an 8-under-par 64 in Round 2 at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course to post 20-under through 36 holes and lead the field by three.
... 1 CommentsJeff Atkinson Congrats, heck of a tournament!8 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Russell Williams & Jason Schultz have known each other since competing as collegiate golfers in the ‘90s. On Friday, they teamed up to card an opening round 12-under-par 60 at the Texas Four-Ball and lead the field by two strokes.
... 16 Likes
- The Spirit Golf Association Announces Appointment of Charlie Epps, PGA, as Interim President The Spirit Golf Association announced today that long-time PGA Professional Charlie Epps will serve as interim president. Epps has served on the SGA Board of Directors since January 2020. Get the full details by clicking the link below. 5 Likes
- Teammates Faith Delagarza and Amari Smith win back to back #WomensFourBall Championship 🏆
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/womens-four-ball-championship-2020-leaderboard 4 Likes