Locals Shine as Field is Trimmed to Eight
Local knowledge is important on any golf course, but at San Antonio Country Club this week, being familiar with the course is proving to be more of an advantage than previously thought. As the 2017 Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play field was trimmed from 32 players to eight, half of the remaining players hail from San Antonio.
Unsurprisingly, No. 1 seed Colby Harwell leads the way for the four San Antonians. He cemented his place in the quarterfinals with a 4 and 2 victory against Kevin Doskocil in their afternoon match. But it wasn’t always easy for Harwell on Friday. He had to play 21 holes in the morning wave to defeat Ted Waldrip after a poor start to the round. He also fell behind in his afternoon match with Doskocil. Shaky ball-striking was to blame for the poor starts.
“I wasn’t hitting quite as many fairways as I was yesterday,” Harwell said. “I found myself playing out of the rough – not hitting short irons into the greens. I had to make four and five footers for par. That’s not a good way to start the round.”
Harwell’s opponent in the quarterfinals also hails from San Antonio, and his path to the final eight might be the biggest surprise from day two. Gene Williams blitzed both his opponents – Adam Lowe in the morning and Anthony Estorga in the afternoon — as he breezed his way to a date with Harwell in the quarterfinals.
Williams began the day 2-down through two holes in his early-morning match. He then proceeded to win 16 of his next 22 holes – both matches ending before the 15th hole.
“Whenever I had opportunities to make birdies, I made them,” Williams said. “Just a good putting afternoon.”
The longtime San Antonio resident has lots of tournament experience at San Antonio Country Club. He has played in numerous USGA qualifiers on the links, which has helped him gain valuable knowledge on the grainy Bermuda greens.
“I’ve played a lot of golf out here,” Williams said. “I’ve got a bit of history out here.”
In the other half of the top bracket, No. 5 seed, and San Antonio resident, Danny Simmerman will match up with No. 6 seed Will Osborne. The match should be one of the most competitive of the day with numerous accolades between the two golfers. Osborne won the Texas Four-Ball earlier this summer and Simmerman is the reigning TGA South Regional Player of the Year.
No. 2 seed Scott Abbott will play No. 7 seed Barrett Sandefur in an all-chalk match-up for the two highly ranked players. Abbott cruised during his morning match winning 6 and 4, but needed 20 holes to defeat Nikolai Esau in the afternoon. Sandefur had a smoother path to the quarterfinals, winning 3 and 2 in the morning, and then 5 and 4 in the afternoon.
Another San Antonian, No. 14 seed Ross Wilhelm, upset No. 3 seed John Pierce 3 and 2 to advance to Saturday. He will face off with No. 22 seed Dave Davis. Davis needed 20 holes to take down San Antonio Country Club member Mikey Vaughan to keep San Antonio from another quarterfinal participant.
The biggest key from players on having a successful quarterfinal match? Hitting fairways and taking advantage on the greens. But being from San Antonio can’t hurt.
Starting times for the quarterfinal matches will begin at 7:30 a.m. on the 1st tee. After all the morning matches are complete, the semifinals will begin at approximately noon. For complete results and updated brackets, click here.
- Texas Four-Ball Set for Aug. 27-29 Texas Four-Ball Set for Aug. 27-29
“We are extremely excited to have the opportunity to return to Horseshoe Bay Resort for this year’s Texas Four-Ball Championship.” -Chris Untiedt, TGA Tournament Director
Follow the 🔗 for more. 5 Likes
- The 2021 Texas Golf Association Amateur Championship to begin this weekend! Hear from our very own John Cochran about the #SouthAm taking place this weekend at Galveston Country Club.
ℹ️ Follow along here: https://t.co/tCvFKgk5XL
📽 via FOX 26 Houston
https://www-fox26houston-com.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/www.fox26houston.com/video/963263.amp 23 Likes
- Texas Golf Association on Twitter 🚨MIXER ALERT🚨 Join us for #HappyHour! Register solo or up to a team of six! Price includes 2hrs of #Topgolf, buffet & more! Compete for raffles & prizes. Guests 21+ enjoy a round of beer/wine on us! SPACE IS LIMITED. ... 1 Likes
- It is with deep sadness that the TGA announces the passing of John Semander. The longtime TGA volunteer and Past Director passed away on July 27. He was 89 years old.
Read More: https://bit.ly/3xiWlB0 13 CommentsThank you TGA for a beautiful tribute to such an amazing man. John was simply the BEST! He will be ...Oh man so sorry to hear. He was an incredible man!!! I’m glad that I had the privilege to work ...A good man with such a warm demeanor and servants heart. He was that rare person who could put a ...33 Likes
- TGA Par-Tee | TopGolf Dallas Come Par-Tee with the TGA for #HappyHour at #Topgolf #Dallas! Enjoy a buffet of food, drinks, snacks & desserts, plus 2 hours of 🏌️♂️! Bays will compete for #SwagBags & a #FunGolf Play Day for two! Did we mention the ... 1 Likes
- Pairings and starting times for the Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play have been released! More info 👇
⏰Starting times: https://www.txga.org/2021-texas-mid-amateur-match-play-leaderboard/
Texas Golf Association is at Trinity Forest Golf Club. 1 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Congratulations to the 93rd West Texas Amateur Champion Garrett Leek🏆
🏆Senior Champion: Mike Booker
🏆Super Senior Champion: Craig Urban
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 24 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jansen Smith of San Angelo and Garrett Leek of Brock share the lead through two rounds at the #WestTexasAm 🏜
18 holes remain at Abilene Country Club (South Course)
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - ... 6 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🪣 🪣 bucket hats are out in full force. Round 2 of the #WestTexasAm is in action.
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/west-texas-amateur-leaderboard-2021
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 7 Likes
- Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play Set for July 22-25 The Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play is set for July 22-25 pitting the top amateur golfers age 25+ against one another at Trinity Forest Golf Club, one of the most unique venues in Texas. Follow the link for more! 7 Likes
- TGA Players Box #TGAMembers Check your email inboxes for your exclusive #TexasTuesday deal, brought to you by the #TGAPlayersBox X @shortpar4. Save on men's and women's G/FORE shoes available for only $145 and 4 doz. TaylorMade balls for only $144! Want more deals? ...
- EMMA MCMYLER is your 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur Champion! #rivercrestcountryclub #100texasamateur
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 23 CommentsWay to go, Emma! 👏⛳️🎊Congratulations Emma! So proud of you!!Congrats Emma. Great result. Up Louisburgh!!64 Likes