Locals Shine as Field is Trimmed to Eight
Local knowledge is important on any golf course, but at San Antonio Country Club this week, being familiar with the course is proving to be more of an advantage than previously thought. As the 2017 Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play field was trimmed from 32 players to eight, half of the remaining players hail from San Antonio.
Unsurprisingly, No. 1 seed Colby Harwell leads the way for the four San Antonians. He cemented his place in the quarterfinals with a 4 and 2 victory against Kevin Doskocil in their afternoon match. But it wasn’t always easy for Harwell on Friday. He had to play 21 holes in the morning wave to defeat Ted Waldrip after a poor start to the round. He also fell behind in his afternoon match with Doskocil. Shaky ball-striking was to blame for the poor starts.
“I wasn’t hitting quite as many fairways as I was yesterday,” Harwell said. “I found myself playing out of the rough – not hitting short irons into the greens. I had to make four and five footers for par. That’s not a good way to start the round.”
Harwell’s opponent in the quarterfinals also hails from San Antonio, and his path to the final eight might be the biggest surprise from day two. Gene Williams blitzed both his opponents – Adam Lowe in the morning and Anthony Estorga in the afternoon — as he breezed his way to a date with Harwell in the quarterfinals.
Williams began the day 2-down through two holes in his early-morning match. He then proceeded to win 16 of his next 22 holes – both matches ending before the 15th hole.
“Whenever I had opportunities to make birdies, I made them,” Williams said. “Just a good putting afternoon.”
The longtime San Antonio resident has lots of tournament experience at San Antonio Country Club. He has played in numerous USGA qualifiers on the links, which has helped him gain valuable knowledge on the grainy Bermuda greens.
“I’ve played a lot of golf out here,” Williams said. “I’ve got a bit of history out here.”
In the other half of the top bracket, No. 5 seed, and San Antonio resident, Danny Simmerman will match up with No. 6 seed Will Osborne. The match should be one of the most competitive of the day with numerous accolades between the two golfers. Osborne won the Texas Four-Ball earlier this summer and Simmerman is the reigning TGA South Regional Player of the Year.
No. 2 seed Scott Abbott will play No. 7 seed Barrett Sandefur in an all-chalk match-up for the two highly ranked players. Abbott cruised during his morning match winning 6 and 4, but needed 20 holes to defeat Nikolai Esau in the afternoon. Sandefur had a smoother path to the quarterfinals, winning 3 and 2 in the morning, and then 5 and 4 in the afternoon.
Another San Antonian, No. 14 seed Ross Wilhelm, upset No. 3 seed John Pierce 3 and 2 to advance to Saturday. He will face off with No. 22 seed Dave Davis. Davis needed 20 holes to take down San Antonio Country Club member Mikey Vaughan to keep San Antonio from another quarterfinal participant.
The biggest key from players on having a successful quarterfinal match? Hitting fairways and taking advantage on the greens. But being from San Antonio can’t hurt.
Starting times for the quarterfinal matches will begin at 7:30 a.m. on the 1st tee. After all the morning matches are complete, the semifinals will begin at approximately noon. For complete results and updated brackets, click here.
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🏆 Preston Stout and Matthew Comegys are crowned co-champions of the Legends Junior Tour #LJTNorthTXClassic after posting 11-under-par 133 through 36 holes. Ryann Honea and MacKenzie Moore also took home co-champion honors with a one-stroke victory in the Girls 12-18 ... 6 Likes
- 404: Page Not Found | Mailchimp #SaveTheDate: #FunGolf Events are now open in #Houston & #SanAntonio!
Come play in our 2-person scramble at TPC San Antonio (AT&T Oaks Course) on Oct. 14 (gross & net) & Walden on Lake Conroe on Oct. 17 (gross with flights).
- Texas Golf Association Registration Event Portal :: Master Roster Registration The #Fun continues with our most sought after event, the annual #TexasShamble!
📍 Tapatio Springs Hill Country Resort
🏌️♂️ October 30: Practice Round
🏌️♂️ October 31: Round 1 (Includes Lunch)
🏆 November 1: Round 2 (Prizes/Awards/Includes lunch)
There will ... 1 Likes
- 🚨Registration for the #USWomensFourBall Qualifying closes Sept. 9th!
🏆U.S. Women’s Four-Ball Championship
⛳️Maridoe Golf Club
🗓April 24-28, 2021
Local Qualifying Sites:
Rangers Golf Club - Arlington - Sept. 23
Magnolia Creek GC - League City-Nov. 12
Apply to ...
- TGA Announces Fall Event Series for Men and Women 📢 TGA Announces Fall Series Events - a slate of new competitive tournaments for men & women with at least one new event conducted in Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and the Austin-San Antonio Hill Country area. Follow the link to learn ... 14 Likes
- Timeline Photos We have two more volunteer days coming up this fall with The Spirit Golf Association at the Houston Food Bank! Follow the links to volunteer:
Monday, September 14
Saturday, October 10
https://buff.ly/2QCnuvG 3 Likes
- Jim Brown Honored with Bob Wells Volunteerism Award We are pleased to announce longtime director & past president Jim Brown has received the Bob Wells Distinguished Service Award, the TGA’s highest honor for individuals who’ve contributed to the growth of the game through volunteerism & meritorious service. 23 CommentsRavi Shah Congratulations from the Shahs. Your service to junior golf has and will continue to leave a profound legacy..Anna Schultz Congratulations Jim!! You are very deserving of this award!Chhaya Shah Congratulations Jim. Couldn’t think of a better person who deserves this recognition.52 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jason Schultz of Allen and Prosper’s Russell Williams card a final round 6-under-par 66 to go wire-to-wire and win the #Texas4Ball by three strokes at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course. The were 26-under for the championship.
In the ... 2 CommentsMark Ellis Congratulations Russell! That little course in Crockett churns out some excellent players! 😊Clay Hughey Way to go Russell Williams. Congrats to Sparky and Kennedy too. You guys represented East Texas well.21 Likes
- Following their brilliant 12-under-par 60 in Round 1, Russell Williams and Jason Schultz card an 8-under-par 64 in Round 2 at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course to post 20-under through 36 holes and lead the field by three.
... 1 CommentsJeff Atkinson Congrats, heck of a tournament!8 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Russell Williams & Jason Schultz have known each other since competing as collegiate golfers in the ‘90s. On Friday, they teamed up to card an opening round 12-under-par 60 at the Texas Four-Ball and lead the field by two strokes.
... 16 Likes
- The Spirit Golf Association Announces Appointment of Charlie Epps, PGA, as Interim President The Spirit Golf Association announced today that long-time PGA Professional Charlie Epps will serve as interim president. Epps has served on the SGA Board of Directors since January 2020. Get the full details by clicking the link below. 5 Likes
- Teammates Faith Delagarza and Amari Smith win back to back #WomensFourBall Championship 🏆
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/womens-four-ball-championship-2020-leaderboard 4 Likes
- 🎥 Sunday at the #TexasAmateur! What a great week @bootranchtx!
A new champion has been crowned! Congratulations, @treybosco! The TGA extends its sincere appreciation to the @bootranchtx staff and membership for their efforts in making the 111th Texas Amateur ... 9 Likes