Scott Roden Leads Texas State Junior
2020 Texas Commit Cards 6-Under 66
HORSESHOE BAY – Scott Roden of Dallas never let the one hour and 40-minute suspension of play rattle him. He fired an unblemished 6-under-par 66 and leads the 91st Texas State Junior Championship by one stroke at Summit Rock Golf Club.
Roden, 15, glanced at the electronic leaderboard behind the 18th green as the players were escorted off the golf course due to dangerous weather at 2:50 p.m. He saw his name atop the field tied with his U.S. Four-Ball teammate Jake Kuwitzky at 5-under par. Roden spent nearly the next two hours waiting to finish his final two holes.
“It is mental when you come in,” said Roden, a rising sophomore at Highland Park High School. “Obviously, everyone is talking about the leaderboard and you see the leaderboard, but I just try not to think about it.”
When Round 1 resumed play, Roden gathered himself. He closed with an up-and-down par save on the par-4 17th hole and birdied the par-5 18th to post 6-under 66.
“I kind of found something in my swing the last couple of weeks and I just felt really comfortable on the course,” said Roden, a 2020 University of Texas commit. “It really made it pretty stress free.”
The reigning 5A UIL State Champion hit all 14 fairways and missed only two greens en route to a bogey-free round. Roden birdied the par-5 second hole and closed his opening loop with three straight birdies on seven, eight and nine to go out in 4-under 32. He said his birdie on the par-4 13th sustained his momentum throughout the closing stretch.
Roden won the 2016 AJGA Junior All-Star in Lubbock as well as several times in the Boys 14 & Under division on the Legends Junior Tour. He finished outside the top-40 in last years’ Texas State Junior Championship but is now well within contention to add to his decorated junior golf career.
Jake Kuwitzky of McKinney held the early lead after a 5-under-par 67. The 2018 Texas Tech commit played a near flawless round himself despite a closing bogey on the par-5 18th. Jansen Smith of San Angelo, a future Red Raider as well, carded a 4-under-par 68. He is solo third overall and just two shots back of the lead.
Summit Rock Golf Club at Horseshoe Bay Resort is playing host to the Texas State Junior Championship for the first time in the events history. The Jack Nicklaus design opened in 2012 and features forgiving fairways and large bent grass greens. The Nicklaus Signature and Summit Rock development spreads across 716 acres and features dramatic elevation changes. The par-72 track demands patience and stamina throughout the undulating landscape.
Round 1 was suspended due to darkness with three groups left on the golf course. The second round and completion of Round 1 begins Tuesday at 7:30 a.m. For more information on the 2017 Texas State Junior Championship click here.
- TPC San Antonio Play Day Event Portal :: Welcome Play where the Pros play as we head south to play TPC San Antonio's AT&T Oak's Course.⠀
📍 TPC San Antonio
📆 Wed., October 14 @ 12PM
🏌️ 2-Person Scramble (Gross & Net)
🏆 Includes Golf & Prizes⠀
... 1 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🏆 Preston Stout and Matthew Comegys are crowned co-champions of the Legends Junior Tour #LJTNorthTXClassic after posting 11-under-par 133 through 36 holes. Ryann Honea and MacKenzie Moore also took home co-champion honors with a one-stroke victory in the Girls 12-18 ... 6 Likes
- 404: Page Not Found | Mailchimp #SaveTheDate: #FunGolf Events are now open in #Houston & #SanAntonio!
Come play in our 2-person scramble at TPC San Antonio (AT&T Oaks Course) on Oct. 14 (gross & net) & Walden on Lake Conroe on Oct. 17 (gross with flights).
- Texas Golf Association Registration Event Portal :: Master Roster Registration The #Fun continues with our most sought after event, the annual #TexasShamble!
📍 Tapatio Springs Hill Country Resort
🏌️♂️ October 30: Practice Round
🏌️♂️ October 31: Round 1 (Includes Lunch)
🏆 November 1: Round 2 (Prizes/Awards/Includes lunch)
There will ... 1 Likes
- 🚨Registration for the #USWomensFourBall Qualifying closes Sept. 9th!
🏆U.S. Women’s Four-Ball Championship
⛳️Maridoe Golf Club
🗓April 24-28, 2021
Local Qualifying Sites:
Rangers Golf Club - Arlington - Sept. 23
Magnolia Creek GC - League City-Nov. 12
Apply to ...
- TGA Announces Fall Event Series for Men and Women 📢 TGA Announces Fall Series Events - a slate of new competitive tournaments for men & women with at least one new event conducted in Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and the Austin-San Antonio Hill Country area. Follow the link to learn ... 14 Likes
- Timeline Photos We have two more volunteer days coming up this fall with The Spirit Golf Association at the Houston Food Bank! Follow the links to volunteer:
Monday, September 14
Saturday, October 10
https://buff.ly/2QCnuvG 3 Likes
- Jim Brown Honored with Bob Wells Volunteerism Award We are pleased to announce longtime director & past president Jim Brown has received the Bob Wells Distinguished Service Award, the TGA’s highest honor for individuals who’ve contributed to the growth of the game through volunteerism & meritorious service. 23 CommentsRavi Shah Congratulations from the Shahs. Your service to junior golf has and will continue to leave a profound legacy..Anna Schultz Congratulations Jim!! You are very deserving of this award!Chhaya Shah Congratulations Jim. Couldn’t think of a better person who deserves this recognition.52 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jason Schultz of Allen and Prosper’s Russell Williams card a final round 6-under-par 66 to go wire-to-wire and win the #Texas4Ball by three strokes at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course. The were 26-under for the championship.
In the ... 2 CommentsMark Ellis Congratulations Russell! That little course in Crockett churns out some excellent players! 😊Clay Hughey Way to go Russell Williams. Congrats to Sparky and Kennedy too. You guys represented East Texas well.21 Likes
- Following their brilliant 12-under-par 60 in Round 1, Russell Williams and Jason Schultz card an 8-under-par 64 in Round 2 at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course to post 20-under through 36 holes and lead the field by three.
... 1 CommentsJeff Atkinson Congrats, heck of a tournament!8 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Russell Williams & Jason Schultz have known each other since competing as collegiate golfers in the ‘90s. On Friday, they teamed up to card an opening round 12-under-par 60 at the Texas Four-Ball and lead the field by two strokes.
... 16 Likes
- The Spirit Golf Association Announces Appointment of Charlie Epps, PGA, as Interim President The Spirit Golf Association announced today that long-time PGA Professional Charlie Epps will serve as interim president. Epps has served on the SGA Board of Directors since January 2020. Get the full details by clicking the link below. 5 Likes
- Teammates Faith Delagarza and Amari Smith win back to back #WomensFourBall Championship 🏆
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/womens-four-ball-championship-2020-leaderboard 4 Likes