Englemann Shoots 6-under to Lead Girls 15-18 Division
HORSESHOE BAY, TX – Austin’s Sadie Englemann carded a 6-under-par 66 in Wednesday’s first round action at Slick Rock Golf Course to lead the Girls 15-18 Division of the 91st Texas State Junior Championship. Katy’s Lauren Nguyen leads the Girls 14 & Under Division, while Gaven Lane leads the Boys 14 & Under Division.
Englemann played a bogey-free round of golf on Wednesday, making five birdies in her final eight holes. The 2016 Winter Classic champ made birdie on the 330-yard 11th, carded three straight birdies on holes 13-15 and added another on 17. The 66 puts her three strokes ahead of two-time defending Texas State Junior Champion Hailey Jones, who shot 3-under 69 in her opening round.
Jones made four birdies in her first nine holes including the 345-yard ninth hole. The Dallas native shot 1-over on the back to get to 3-under overall for the tournament. The two-time LJT Girls 15-18 Player of the Year is seeking her third win on the Legends Junior Tour in 2017, claiming victories at the Winter Classic in January and the Alamo Shootout in June.
San Antonio’s Camryn Carreon was the third player to score under par in the first round. Carreon shot 1-under 71 at Slick Rock and sits in third place heading into Thursday’s second round. Elise Parel and Kennedy Pedigo are tied for fourth at even-par, while seven other players are tied for sixth at 1-over.
The shot of the day in the Girls 15-18 Division came from Rockport’s Murphy McDermott, who aced the 140-yard second hole. McDermott hit a seven iron for her first ever hole in one.
In the Girls 14 & Under Division, Nguyen posted a 2-under 70 and leads Austin’s Ally Black by two strokes heading into Thursday’s final round. Nguyen made five birdies on the day, including the par-4 18th, which was her last hole. Black made five birdies as well on the day, including three in a row on holes 12-14.
Spicewood’s Brooke McDonough sits in third in the division, while Natalie Cao and Emma Costa round out the top five.
In the Boys 14 & Under Division, Gaven Lane leads after shooting 3-under 69. The Argyle native made four birdies to only one bogey on Wednesday and leads by three strokes over a trio at even-par.
Zach Kingsland, Jase Summy and Shaheen Momin are tied for second after shooting 72 in the first round. Jacob Cole, Sebastian Moss, Greg Seo and Jackson Naeger are tied for fifth heading into the second and final round in the Boys 14 & Under Division.
Play continues Thursday at Slick Rock Golf Course for the championship. Boys and Girls 14 & Under will tee off in the morning wave, starting at 7:30 am. The Girls 15-18 Division will tee off in the afternoon wave, starting at 12:00 am.
Horseshoe Bay Resort is hosting the Texas State Junior Championship for the fifth time in the last six years. Slick Rock has hosted the Girls 15-18 Division and the Boys and Girls 14 & Under Divisions during that span.
For more information about the Girls 15-18 Division at the Texas State Junior Championship, click here. For more information about the Boys and Girls 14 & Under Divisions at the championship, click here.
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🏆 Preston Stout and Matthew Comegys are crowned co-champions of the Legends Junior Tour #LJTNorthTXClassic after posting 11-under-par 133 through 36 holes. Ryann Honea and MacKenzie Moore also took home co-champion honors with a one-stroke victory in the Girls 12-18 ... 6 Likes
- 404: Page Not Found | Mailchimp #SaveTheDate: #FunGolf Events are now open in #Houston & #SanAntonio!
Come play in our 2-person scramble at TPC San Antonio (AT&T Oaks Course) on Oct. 14 (gross & net) & Walden on Lake Conroe on Oct. 17 (gross with flights).
- Texas Golf Association Registration Event Portal :: Master Roster Registration The #Fun continues with our most sought after event, the annual #TexasShamble!
📍 Tapatio Springs Hill Country Resort
🏌️♂️ October 30: Practice Round
🏌️♂️ October 31: Round 1 (Includes Lunch)
🏆 November 1: Round 2 (Prizes/Awards/Includes lunch)
There will ... 1 Likes
- 🚨Registration for the #USWomensFourBall Qualifying closes Sept. 9th!
🏆U.S. Women’s Four-Ball Championship
⛳️Maridoe Golf Club
🗓April 24-28, 2021
Local Qualifying Sites:
Rangers Golf Club - Arlington - Sept. 23
Magnolia Creek GC - League City-Nov. 12
Apply to ...
- TGA Announces Fall Event Series for Men and Women 📢 TGA Announces Fall Series Events - a slate of new competitive tournaments for men & women with at least one new event conducted in Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and the Austin-San Antonio Hill Country area. Follow the link to learn ... 14 Likes
- Timeline Photos We have two more volunteer days coming up this fall with The Spirit Golf Association at the Houston Food Bank! Follow the links to volunteer:
Monday, September 14
Saturday, October 10
https://buff.ly/2QCnuvG 3 Likes
- Jim Brown Honored with Bob Wells Volunteerism Award We are pleased to announce longtime director & past president Jim Brown has received the Bob Wells Distinguished Service Award, the TGA’s highest honor for individuals who’ve contributed to the growth of the game through volunteerism & meritorious service. 23 CommentsRavi Shah Congratulations from the Shahs. Your service to junior golf has and will continue to leave a profound legacy..Anna Schultz Congratulations Jim!! You are very deserving of this award!Chhaya Shah Congratulations Jim. Couldn’t think of a better person who deserves this recognition.52 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jason Schultz of Allen and Prosper’s Russell Williams card a final round 6-under-par 66 to go wire-to-wire and win the #Texas4Ball by three strokes at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course. The were 26-under for the championship.
In the ... 2 CommentsMark Ellis Congratulations Russell! That little course in Crockett churns out some excellent players! 😊Clay Hughey Way to go Russell Williams. Congrats to Sparky and Kennedy too. You guys represented East Texas well.21 Likes
- Following their brilliant 12-under-par 60 in Round 1, Russell Williams and Jason Schultz card an 8-under-par 64 in Round 2 at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course to post 20-under through 36 holes and lead the field by three.
... 1 CommentsJeff Atkinson Congrats, heck of a tournament!8 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Russell Williams & Jason Schultz have known each other since competing as collegiate golfers in the ‘90s. On Friday, they teamed up to card an opening round 12-under-par 60 at the Texas Four-Ball and lead the field by two strokes.
... 16 Likes
- The Spirit Golf Association Announces Appointment of Charlie Epps, PGA, as Interim President The Spirit Golf Association announced today that long-time PGA Professional Charlie Epps will serve as interim president. Epps has served on the SGA Board of Directors since January 2020. Get the full details by clicking the link below. 5 Likes
- Teammates Faith Delagarza and Amari Smith win back to back #WomensFourBall Championship 🏆
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/womens-four-ball-championship-2020-leaderboard 4 Likes
- 🎥 Sunday at the #TexasAmateur! What a great week @bootranchtx!
A new champion has been crowned! Congratulations, @treybosco! The TGA extends its sincere appreciation to the @bootranchtx staff and membership for their efforts in making the 111th Texas Amateur ... 9 Likes