Jacobe and Curiel Take Early Lead at South Amateur presented by Impact Precision Golf
HORSESHOE BAY – Andrew Jacobe and Arnoldo Curiel each shot rounds of 5-under-par 67 on Friday to take the early lead in the South Amateur presented by Impact Precision Golf. This year’s championship is being contested on the Slick Rock Course at Horseshoe Bay Resort, in Horseshoe Bay, TX.
Jacobe, of Houston, was never in much trouble during the first round. His 67 was bogey-free as he poured in five birdies on the day.
“I thought it was good. I was just pretty solid all around,” said Jacobe, a rising-junior at Vanderbilt University. “I just kind of made some putts. I didn’t really do anything great… Hit a lot of greens and made a few birdies.”
A couple of “key par saves” early in his round kept Jacobe’s momentum going after his fast start that included birdies on his first two holes.
“It was all just pretty steady throughout the whole round” Jacobe said.
Course knowledge had little to do with Jacobe’s success during round one. He has not played the course since a tournament five years ago, although he also produced a 67 during that round.
Curiel’s round was not blemish-free like his fellow co-leader, but the final result was all the same. Curiel, of Mission, bogeyed his first hole of the day, but he made six birdies over his final 17 holes to post at 5-under.
A cohort of players sit just one shot back. Brady Price, Tyler Uhlig, Robert Quinilty and 2013 South Amateur champion Tony Soerries each posted 4-under 68s for their opening 18. Price was the 36-hole leader of last year’s event at Wolfdancer Golf Club. He eventually finished in a three-way tie for third place as Danny Simmerman took the crown. Fourteen other players sit within four shots of the lead.
Heavy rain throughout the week softened the Slick Rock Course, and players certainly took advantage as 20 players broke par.
“The greens were pretty soft,” Jacobe said. “If you’re hitting good shots, you can get pretty close to the hole. It gives you some good scoring opportunities, you’ve just got to convert on them.”
The second round of the South Amateur begins at 8:00 a.m. on Saturday. Click here for tee times, scoring and additional information.
- The 2021 Texas Golf Association Amateur Championship to begin this weekend! Hear from our very own John Cochran about the #SouthAm taking place this weekend at Galveston Country Club.
ℹ️ Follow along here: https://t.co/tCvFKgk5XL
📽 via FOX 26 Houston
https://www-fox26houston-com.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/www.fox26houston.com/video/963263.amp 23 Likes
- Texas Golf Association on Twitter 🚨MIXER ALERT🚨 Join us for #HappyHour! Register solo or up to a team of six! Price includes 2hrs of #Topgolf, buffet & more! Compete for raffles & prizes. Guests 21+ enjoy a round of beer/wine on us! SPACE IS LIMITED. ... 1 Likes
- It is with deep sadness that the TGA announces the passing of John Semander. The longtime TGA volunteer and Past Director passed away on July 27. He was 89 years old.
Read More: https://bit.ly/3xiWlB0 13 CommentsThank you TGA for a beautiful tribute to such an amazing man. John was simply the BEST! He will be ...Oh man so sorry to hear. He was an incredible man!!! I’m glad that I had the privilege to work ...A good man with such a warm demeanor and servants heart. He was that rare person who could put a ...33 Likes
- TGA Par-Tee | TopGolf Dallas Come Par-Tee with the TGA for #HappyHour at #Topgolf #Dallas! Enjoy a buffet of food, drinks, snacks & desserts, plus 2 hours of 🏌️♂️! Bays will compete for #SwagBags & a #FunGolf Play Day for two! Did we mention the ... 1 Likes
- Pairings and starting times for the Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play have been released! More info 👇
⏰Starting times: https://www.txga.org/2021-texas-mid-amateur-match-play-leaderboard/
Texas Golf Association is at Trinity Forest Golf Club. 1 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Congratulations to the 93rd West Texas Amateur Champion Garrett Leek🏆
🏆Senior Champion: Mike Booker
🏆Super Senior Champion: Craig Urban
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 24 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jansen Smith of San Angelo and Garrett Leek of Brock share the lead through two rounds at the #WestTexasAm 🏜
18 holes remain at Abilene Country Club (South Course)
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - ... 6 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🪣 🪣 bucket hats are out in full force. Round 2 of the #WestTexasAm is in action.
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/west-texas-amateur-leaderboard-2021
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 7 Likes
- Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play Set for July 22-25 The Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play is set for July 22-25 pitting the top amateur golfers age 25+ against one another at Trinity Forest Golf Club, one of the most unique venues in Texas. Follow the link for more! 7 Likes
- TGA Players Box #TGAMembers Check your email inboxes for your exclusive #TexasTuesday deal, brought to you by the #TGAPlayersBox X @shortpar4. Save on men's and women's G/FORE shoes available for only $145 and 4 doz. TaylorMade balls for only $144! Want more deals? ...
- EMMA MCMYLER is your 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur Champion! #rivercrestcountryclub #100texasamateur
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 23 CommentsWay to go, Emma! 👏⛳️🎊Congratulations Emma! So proud of you!!Congrats Emma. Great result. Up Louisburgh!!64 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post The four semifinalists competing to advance to the championship round of the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur have began their matches!
live scoring: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 9 Likes