Ryan Johnson Grabs Lead at North Amateur After Second Round
Southlake, TX – Ryan Johnson grabbed the lead at the North Amateur from first round leader, Devin Jackson after shooting a two-under-par 70 on Saturday at Timarron Country Club. First round leader, Devin Jackson sits in solo second, one stroke behind Johnson after carding an even round for round two.
Johnson, of Trophy Club, carded his second consecutive under par round at the North Amateur on Saturday and will head into the final round leading a crowded leaderboard by one stroke. Starting his second round off the 10th hole, Johnson tallied his first birdie on the par five 15th measuring 548 yards. The 13th has played as the easiest hole on the golf course this week at Timarron Country Club with a two-day average of 4.75.
After turning on to the front nine (his inward nine) with a one-under-par 35, Johnson carded two more birdies on the first and sixth holes before bogeying his final hole for the day, the treacherous par four ninth. Measuring at only 390 yards, the par four ninth has played the toughest for the first and second rounds due to the green complex and risky hazard covering the entire right side and front of the green.
What may be the biggest highlight of Johnson’s week so far isn’t that he is currently the North Amateur after 36 holes, but rather that he has birdied every par five, both days. With this stat, it is no wonder Johnson leads the North Amateur. He will hope to continue this impressive stat going into tomorrow’s action packed day. Nine players currently sit within five shots of Johnson.
Devin Jackson finds himself sitting in solo second place, one stroke behind leader Ryan Johnson as he prepares for the final round of North Amateur on Sunday. Jackson’s day started off right where he left it on Friday as he carded three lone birdies on the front and turned in three-under-par 33. However, after hitting his tee shot out of bounds on the 12th, Johnson surrendered his lead carding his second double bogey of the nine on the short par four, 15th. He managed to finish the day on a high note after birdieing the 18th.
Players were graced another gorgeous day at Timarron Country Club for “moving day” as players looked to position themselves for Sunday’s final round. With the wind speeds making a presence in the latter parts of the morning and into the afternoon, the scoring average rose to 77.6. Players teeing it up early had an advantage but 13 players carded a red figure during their second round at the North Amateur.
Max Kettler was one of those players that teed off late in the morning and had to battle much of the wind, mostly on his inward nine. Kettler posted a very respectable one-under-par 71 to obtain solo third and a position in the final grouping for the final round. Kettler tallied four birdies and three bogeys.
As this week is the last opportunity to gain North Regional Player of the Year points, Joshua Irving and Will Osborne will battle it out for the title as they tee off at 9:48am off #1 tee. Irving currently sits 100 points behind Osborne for the title. 1000 Regional Player of the Year points are awarded for the overall champion. Also in the field and in contention for the Regional Player of the Year award is the current North Mid-Amateur champion, Gant Bills. Bills managed to come from behind during the final round of the North Mid-Amateur at Tierra Verde Golf Club to defeat both Irving and Osborne. Bills trails Osborne by 137.5 points and can make a move with another impressive finish.
Timarron Country Club played to 7,005 yards for the second round of the North Amateur.
Tee times for the final round of the North Amateur will begin at 8:00am off #1 and #10 tees. Jackson and Kettler will try and catch Johnson as they tee off at 9:57am off #1 tee. For complete results, click here.
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🏆 Preston Stout and Matthew Comegys are crowned co-champions of the Legends Junior Tour #LJTNorthTXClassic after posting 11-under-par 133 through 36 holes. Ryann Honea and MacKenzie Moore also took home co-champion honors with a one-stroke victory in the Girls 12-18 ... 6 Likes
- 404: Page Not Found | Mailchimp #SaveTheDate: #FunGolf Events are now open in #Houston & #SanAntonio!
Come play in our 2-person scramble at TPC San Antonio (AT&T Oaks Course) on Oct. 14 (gross & net) & Walden on Lake Conroe on Oct. 17 (gross with flights).
- Texas Golf Association Registration Event Portal :: Master Roster Registration The #Fun continues with our most sought after event, the annual #TexasShamble!
📍 Tapatio Springs Hill Country Resort
🏌️♂️ October 30: Practice Round
🏌️♂️ October 31: Round 1 (Includes Lunch)
🏆 November 1: Round 2 (Prizes/Awards/Includes lunch)
There will ... 1 Likes
- 🚨Registration for the #USWomensFourBall Qualifying closes Sept. 9th!
🏆U.S. Women’s Four-Ball Championship
⛳️Maridoe Golf Club
🗓April 24-28, 2021
Local Qualifying Sites:
Rangers Golf Club - Arlington - Sept. 23
Magnolia Creek GC - League City-Nov. 12
Apply to ...
- TGA Announces Fall Event Series for Men and Women 📢 TGA Announces Fall Series Events - a slate of new competitive tournaments for men & women with at least one new event conducted in Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and the Austin-San Antonio Hill Country area. Follow the link to learn ... 14 Likes
- Timeline Photos We have two more volunteer days coming up this fall with The Spirit Golf Association at the Houston Food Bank! Follow the links to volunteer:
Monday, September 14
Saturday, October 10
https://buff.ly/2QCnuvG 3 Likes
- Jim Brown Honored with Bob Wells Volunteerism Award We are pleased to announce longtime director & past president Jim Brown has received the Bob Wells Distinguished Service Award, the TGA’s highest honor for individuals who’ve contributed to the growth of the game through volunteerism & meritorious service. 23 CommentsRavi Shah Congratulations from the Shahs. Your service to junior golf has and will continue to leave a profound legacy..Anna Schultz Congratulations Jim!! You are very deserving of this award!Chhaya Shah Congratulations Jim. Couldn’t think of a better person who deserves this recognition.52 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jason Schultz of Allen and Prosper’s Russell Williams card a final round 6-under-par 66 to go wire-to-wire and win the #Texas4Ball by three strokes at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course. The were 26-under for the championship.
In the ... 2 CommentsMark Ellis Congratulations Russell! That little course in Crockett churns out some excellent players! 😊Clay Hughey Way to go Russell Williams. Congrats to Sparky and Kennedy too. You guys represented East Texas well.21 Likes
- Following their brilliant 12-under-par 60 in Round 1, Russell Williams and Jason Schultz card an 8-under-par 64 in Round 2 at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course to post 20-under through 36 holes and lead the field by three.
... 1 CommentsJeff Atkinson Congrats, heck of a tournament!8 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Russell Williams & Jason Schultz have known each other since competing as collegiate golfers in the ‘90s. On Friday, they teamed up to card an opening round 12-under-par 60 at the Texas Four-Ball and lead the field by two strokes.
... 16 Likes
- The Spirit Golf Association Announces Appointment of Charlie Epps, PGA, as Interim President The Spirit Golf Association announced today that long-time PGA Professional Charlie Epps will serve as interim president. Epps has served on the SGA Board of Directors since January 2020. Get the full details by clicking the link below. 5 Likes
- Teammates Faith Delagarza and Amari Smith win back to back #WomensFourBall Championship 🏆
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/womens-four-ball-championship-2020-leaderboard 4 Likes