Ryan Johnson Grabs Lead at North Amateur After Second Round
Southlake, TX – Ryan Johnson grabbed the lead at the North Amateur from first round leader, Devin Jackson after shooting a two-under-par 70 on Saturday at Timarron Country Club. First round leader, Devin Jackson sits in solo second, one stroke behind Johnson after carding an even round for round two.
Johnson, of Trophy Club, carded his second consecutive under par round at the North Amateur on Saturday and will head into the final round leading a crowded leaderboard by one stroke. Starting his second round off the 10th hole, Johnson tallied his first birdie on the par five 15th measuring 548 yards. The 13th has played as the easiest hole on the golf course this week at Timarron Country Club with a two-day average of 4.75.
After turning on to the front nine (his inward nine) with a one-under-par 35, Johnson carded two more birdies on the first and sixth holes before bogeying his final hole for the day, the treacherous par four ninth. Measuring at only 390 yards, the par four ninth has played the toughest for the first and second rounds due to the green complex and risky hazard covering the entire right side and front of the green.
What may be the biggest highlight of Johnson’s week so far isn’t that he is currently the North Amateur after 36 holes, but rather that he has birdied every par five, both days. With this stat, it is no wonder Johnson leads the North Amateur. He will hope to continue this impressive stat going into tomorrow’s action packed day. Nine players currently sit within five shots of Johnson.
Devin Jackson finds himself sitting in solo second place, one stroke behind leader Ryan Johnson as he prepares for the final round of North Amateur on Sunday. Jackson’s day started off right where he left it on Friday as he carded three lone birdies on the front and turned in three-under-par 33. However, after hitting his tee shot out of bounds on the 12th, Johnson surrendered his lead carding his second double bogey of the nine on the short par four, 15th. He managed to finish the day on a high note after birdieing the 18th.
Players were graced another gorgeous day at Timarron Country Club for “moving day” as players looked to position themselves for Sunday’s final round. With the wind speeds making a presence in the latter parts of the morning and into the afternoon, the scoring average rose to 77.6. Players teeing it up early had an advantage but 13 players carded a red figure during their second round at the North Amateur.
Max Kettler was one of those players that teed off late in the morning and had to battle much of the wind, mostly on his inward nine. Kettler posted a very respectable one-under-par 71 to obtain solo third and a position in the final grouping for the final round. Kettler tallied four birdies and three bogeys.
As this week is the last opportunity to gain North Regional Player of the Year points, Joshua Irving and Will Osborne will battle it out for the title as they tee off at 9:48am off #1 tee. Irving currently sits 100 points behind Osborne for the title. 1000 Regional Player of the Year points are awarded for the overall champion. Also in the field and in contention for the Regional Player of the Year award is the current North Mid-Amateur champion, Gant Bills. Bills managed to come from behind during the final round of the North Mid-Amateur at Tierra Verde Golf Club to defeat both Irving and Osborne. Bills trails Osborne by 137.5 points and can make a move with another impressive finish.
Timarron Country Club played to 7,005 yards for the second round of the North Amateur.
Tee times for the final round of the North Amateur will begin at 8:00am off #1 and #10 tees. Jackson and Kettler will try and catch Johnson as they tee off at 9:57am off #1 tee. For complete results, click here.
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post All 😃’s as Round 1 of the #Texas4Ball gets underway from Horseshoe Bay Resort Apple Rock! ⏰
ℹ️ More info: https://www.txga.org/tga-texas-four-ball-texas-golf-association-2021/
🔢 Leaderboard: golfgenius.com/pages/2863285
Texas Golf Association is at AppleRock Golf Course. 10 Likes
- Texas Four-Ball Set for Aug. 27-29 Texas Four-Ball Set for Aug. 27-29
“We are extremely excited to have the opportunity to return to Horseshoe Bay Resort for this year’s Texas Four-Ball Championship.” -Chris Untiedt, TGA Tournament Director
Follow the 🔗 for more. 5 Likes
- The 2021 Texas Golf Association Amateur Championship to begin this weekend! Hear from our very own John Cochran about the #SouthAm taking place this weekend at Galveston Country Club.
ℹ️ Follow along here: https://t.co/tCvFKgk5XL
📽 via FOX 26 Houston
https://www-fox26houston-com.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/www.fox26houston.com/video/963263.amp 23 Likes
- Texas Golf Association on Twitter 🚨MIXER ALERT🚨 Join us for #HappyHour! Register solo or up to a team of six! Price includes 2hrs of #Topgolf, buffet & more! Compete for raffles & prizes. Guests 21+ enjoy a round of beer/wine on us! SPACE IS LIMITED. ... 1 Likes
- It is with deep sadness that the TGA announces the passing of John Semander. The longtime TGA volunteer and Past Director passed away on July 27. He was 89 years old.
Read More: https://bit.ly/3xiWlB0 13 CommentsThank you TGA for a beautiful tribute to such an amazing man. John was simply the BEST! He will be ...Oh man so sorry to hear. He was an incredible man!!! I’m glad that I had the privilege to work ...A good man with such a warm demeanor and servants heart. He was that rare person who could put a ...33 Likes
- TGA Par-Tee | TopGolf Dallas Come Par-Tee with the TGA for #HappyHour at #Topgolf #Dallas! Enjoy a buffet of food, drinks, snacks & desserts, plus 2 hours of 🏌️♂️! Bays will compete for #SwagBags & a #FunGolf Play Day for two! Did we mention the ... 1 Likes
- Pairings and starting times for the Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play have been released! More info 👇
⏰Starting times: https://www.txga.org/2021-texas-mid-amateur-match-play-leaderboard/
Texas Golf Association is at Trinity Forest Golf Club. 1 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Congratulations to the 93rd West Texas Amateur Champion Garrett Leek🏆
🏆Senior Champion: Mike Booker
🏆Super Senior Champion: Craig Urban
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 24 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jansen Smith of San Angelo and Garrett Leek of Brock share the lead through two rounds at the #WestTexasAm 🏜
18 holes remain at Abilene Country Club (South Course)
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - ... 6 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🪣 🪣 bucket hats are out in full force. Round 2 of the #WestTexasAm is in action.
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/west-texas-amateur-leaderboard-2021
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 7 Likes
- Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play Set for July 22-25 The Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play is set for July 22-25 pitting the top amateur golfers age 25+ against one another at Trinity Forest Golf Club, one of the most unique venues in Texas. Follow the link for more! 7 Likes
- TGA Players Box #TGAMembers Check your email inboxes for your exclusive #TexasTuesday deal, brought to you by the #TGAPlayersBox X @shortpar4. Save on men's and women's G/FORE shoes available for only $145 and 4 doz. TaylorMade balls for only $144! Want more deals? ...