Tim Hamm Wins in Dramatic Fashion at South Amateur
HORSESHOE BAY — Tim Hamm holed a 70-yard wedge shot on the first playoff hole to win the South Amateur presented by Impact Precision Golf in dramatic fashion. Hamm fired a 5-under 67 in the final round to force a playoff with 36-hole leader Nick Costello at 11-under 205.
Both players hit their drives into favorable spots in the playoff, but Hamm was a bit further back and played his approach first. His wedge shot hit two feet short of the hole, took a short hop, zipped back like a yo-yo on a string, and disappeared.
“I knew I needed to get it close,” Hamm said. “When it was in the air it looked good, and there you’re just hoping that it does something good. And luckily it did.”
Hamm had an up-and-down final round on Horseshoe Bay Resort’s Slick Rock Course. The 34-year-old had six birdies and an eagle, but also made three costly bogeys, including one on No. 18 that forced the tournament to go to extra holes.
“That (bogey on 18) hurt a little bit,” Hamm said. He was forced to wait for the final group to finish before learning about his playoff fate. “Then that (hole out) happened so quickly. It made me feel really good.”
The Austin resident got off to a hot start in the penultimate grouping. He birdied his first two holes and then eagled No. 5 to get to 4-under for the day. But the rest of the day was a grind as the winds picked up and the course dried out.
Costello, of Austin, once again got off to a hot start on the front nine. He birdied No. 2, 3 and 8 and turned at 3-under for the day. But he also struggled coming down the stretch and played his final nine holes at 1-over par. The rising-sophomore at the University of Texas did not make a bogey on the front nine all week — playing the side at 10-under total on the week — but the back nine gave him some trouble as he was only able to play them 1-under par.
Former champion Tony Soerries, of Montgomery, finished a shot behind the leaders after shooting 69 to miss out on the playoff by a shot. Robert Quinilty, of Cypress, and Jake Goodman, of San Antonio, finished at 9- and 8-under, respectively, to round out the top five.
This isn’t the first time Hamm has won in this manner, in fact, he seems to have a flair for the dramatic. As a kid he recorded a hole-in-one to win a tournament. But this still ranks as one of his proudest accomplishments in golf.
“This shot is right up there,” Hamm said about his hole out. “I moved here probably five years ago and haven’t done anything too significant in the tournaments. So it’s pretty cool to get a win.”
The Texas Golf Association extends its warmest and most sincere appreciation to the staff of Horseshoe Bay Resort’s Slick Rock Course, as well as our volunteers, for their integral part in making the tournament a success. The Texas Golf Association would also like to thank our South Regional series sponsor, Impact Precision Golf.
The South Amateur presented by Impact Precision Golf provided a memorable and successful close to the competition of the 2017 South Regional Series. For complete championship, click here.
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🏆 Preston Stout and Matthew Comegys are crowned co-champions of the Legends Junior Tour #LJTNorthTXClassic after posting 11-under-par 133 through 36 holes. Ryann Honea and MacKenzie Moore also took home co-champion honors with a one-stroke victory in the Girls 12-18 ... 6 Likes
- 404: Page Not Found | Mailchimp #SaveTheDate: #FunGolf Events are now open in #Houston & #SanAntonio!
Come play in our 2-person scramble at TPC San Antonio (AT&T Oaks Course) on Oct. 14 (gross & net) & Walden on Lake Conroe on Oct. 17 (gross with flights).
- Texas Golf Association Registration Event Portal :: Master Roster Registration The #Fun continues with our most sought after event, the annual #TexasShamble!
📍 Tapatio Springs Hill Country Resort
🏌️♂️ October 30: Practice Round
🏌️♂️ October 31: Round 1 (Includes Lunch)
🏆 November 1: Round 2 (Prizes/Awards/Includes lunch)
There will ... 1 Likes
- 🚨Registration for the #USWomensFourBall Qualifying closes Sept. 9th!
🏆U.S. Women’s Four-Ball Championship
⛳️Maridoe Golf Club
🗓April 24-28, 2021
Local Qualifying Sites:
Rangers Golf Club - Arlington - Sept. 23
Magnolia Creek GC - League City-Nov. 12
Apply to ...
- TGA Announces Fall Event Series for Men and Women 📢 TGA Announces Fall Series Events - a slate of new competitive tournaments for men & women with at least one new event conducted in Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and the Austin-San Antonio Hill Country area. Follow the link to learn ... 14 Likes
- Timeline Photos We have two more volunteer days coming up this fall with The Spirit Golf Association at the Houston Food Bank! Follow the links to volunteer:
Monday, September 14
Saturday, October 10
https://buff.ly/2QCnuvG 3 Likes
- Jim Brown Honored with Bob Wells Volunteerism Award We are pleased to announce longtime director & past president Jim Brown has received the Bob Wells Distinguished Service Award, the TGA’s highest honor for individuals who’ve contributed to the growth of the game through volunteerism & meritorious service. 23 CommentsRavi Shah Congratulations from the Shahs. Your service to junior golf has and will continue to leave a profound legacy..Anna Schultz Congratulations Jim!! You are very deserving of this award!Chhaya Shah Congratulations Jim. Couldn’t think of a better person who deserves this recognition.52 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jason Schultz of Allen and Prosper’s Russell Williams card a final round 6-under-par 66 to go wire-to-wire and win the #Texas4Ball by three strokes at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course. The were 26-under for the championship.
In the ... 2 CommentsMark Ellis Congratulations Russell! That little course in Crockett churns out some excellent players! 😊Clay Hughey Way to go Russell Williams. Congrats to Sparky and Kennedy too. You guys represented East Texas well.21 Likes
- Following their brilliant 12-under-par 60 in Round 1, Russell Williams and Jason Schultz card an 8-under-par 64 in Round 2 at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course to post 20-under through 36 holes and lead the field by three.
... 1 CommentsJeff Atkinson Congrats, heck of a tournament!8 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Russell Williams & Jason Schultz have known each other since competing as collegiate golfers in the ‘90s. On Friday, they teamed up to card an opening round 12-under-par 60 at the Texas Four-Ball and lead the field by two strokes.
... 16 Likes
- The Spirit Golf Association Announces Appointment of Charlie Epps, PGA, as Interim President The Spirit Golf Association announced today that long-time PGA Professional Charlie Epps will serve as interim president. Epps has served on the SGA Board of Directors since January 2020. Get the full details by clicking the link below. 5 Likes
- Teammates Faith Delagarza and Amari Smith win back to back #WomensFourBall Championship 🏆
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/womens-four-ball-championship-2020-leaderboard 4 Likes
- 🎥 Sunday at the #TexasAmateur! What a great week @bootranchtx!
A new champion has been crowned! Congratulations, @treybosco! The TGA extends its sincere appreciation to the @bootranchtx staff and membership for their efforts in making the 111th Texas Amateur ... 9 Likes