Tim Hamm Wins in Dramatic Fashion at South Amateur
HORSESHOE BAY — Tim Hamm holed a 70-yard wedge shot on the first playoff hole to win the South Amateur presented by Impact Precision Golf in dramatic fashion. Hamm fired a 5-under 67 in the final round to force a playoff with 36-hole leader Nick Costello at 11-under 205.
Both players hit their drives into favorable spots in the playoff, but Hamm was a bit further back and played his approach first. His wedge shot hit two feet short of the hole, took a short hop, zipped back like a yo-yo on a string, and disappeared.
“I knew I needed to get it close,” Hamm said. “When it was in the air it looked good, and there you’re just hoping that it does something good. And luckily it did.”
Hamm had an up-and-down final round on Horseshoe Bay Resort’s Slick Rock Course. The 34-year-old had six birdies and an eagle, but also made three costly bogeys, including one on No. 18 that forced the tournament to go to extra holes.
“That (bogey on 18) hurt a little bit,” Hamm said. He was forced to wait for the final group to finish before learning about his playoff fate. “Then that (hole out) happened so quickly. It made me feel really good.”
The Austin resident got off to a hot start in the penultimate grouping. He birdied his first two holes and then eagled No. 5 to get to 4-under for the day. But the rest of the day was a grind as the winds picked up and the course dried out.
Costello, of Austin, once again got off to a hot start on the front nine. He birdied No. 2, 3 and 8 and turned at 3-under for the day. But he also struggled coming down the stretch and played his final nine holes at 1-over par. The rising-sophomore at the University of Texas did not make a bogey on the front nine all week — playing the side at 10-under total on the week — but the back nine gave him some trouble as he was only able to play them 1-under par.
Former champion Tony Soerries, of Montgomery, finished a shot behind the leaders after shooting 69 to miss out on the playoff by a shot. Robert Quinilty, of Cypress, and Jake Goodman, of San Antonio, finished at 9- and 8-under, respectively, to round out the top five.
This isn’t the first time Hamm has won in this manner, in fact, he seems to have a flair for the dramatic. As a kid he recorded a hole-in-one to win a tournament. But this still ranks as one of his proudest accomplishments in golf.
“This shot is right up there,” Hamm said about his hole out. “I moved here probably five years ago and haven’t done anything too significant in the tournaments. So it’s pretty cool to get a win.”
The Texas Golf Association extends its warmest and most sincere appreciation to the staff of Horseshoe Bay Resort’s Slick Rock Course, as well as our volunteers, for their integral part in making the tournament a success. The Texas Golf Association would also like to thank our South Regional series sponsor, Impact Precision Golf.
The South Amateur presented by Impact Precision Golf provided a memorable and successful close to the competition of the 2017 South Regional Series. For complete championship, click here.
- The 2021 Texas Golf Association Amateur Championship to begin this weekend! Hear from our very own John Cochran about the #SouthAm taking place this weekend at Galveston Country Club.
ℹ️ Follow along here: https://t.co/tCvFKgk5XL
📽 via FOX 26 Houston
https://www-fox26houston-com.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/www.fox26houston.com/video/963263.amp 23 Likes
- Texas Golf Association on Twitter 🚨MIXER ALERT🚨 Join us for #HappyHour! Register solo or up to a team of six! Price includes 2hrs of #Topgolf, buffet & more! Compete for raffles & prizes. Guests 21+ enjoy a round of beer/wine on us! SPACE IS LIMITED. ... 1 Likes
- It is with deep sadness that the TGA announces the passing of John Semander. The longtime TGA volunteer and Past Director passed away on July 27. He was 89 years old.
Read More: https://bit.ly/3xiWlB0 13 CommentsOh man so sorry to hear. He was an incredible man!!! I’m glad that I had the privilege to work ...A good man with such a warm demeanor and servants heart. He was that rare person who could put a ...A lovely man, was so kind to me when I worked over there. Have such positive memories of him. RIP John33 Likes
- TGA Par-Tee | TopGolf Dallas Come Par-Tee with the TGA for #HappyHour at #Topgolf #Dallas! Enjoy a buffet of food, drinks, snacks & desserts, plus 2 hours of 🏌️♂️! Bays will compete for #SwagBags & a #FunGolf Play Day for two! Did we mention the ... 1 Likes
- Pairings and starting times for the Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play have been released! More info 👇
⏰Starting times: https://www.txga.org/2021-texas-mid-amateur-match-play-leaderboard/
Texas Golf Association is at Trinity Forest Golf Club. 1 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Congratulations to the 93rd West Texas Amateur Champion Garrett Leek🏆
🏆Senior Champion: Mike Booker
🏆Super Senior Champion: Craig Urban
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 24 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jansen Smith of San Angelo and Garrett Leek of Brock share the lead through two rounds at the #WestTexasAm 🏜
18 holes remain at Abilene Country Club (South Course)
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - ... 6 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🪣 🪣 bucket hats are out in full force. Round 2 of the #WestTexasAm is in action.
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/west-texas-amateur-leaderboard-2021
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 7 Likes
- Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play Set for July 22-25 The Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play is set for July 22-25 pitting the top amateur golfers age 25+ against one another at Trinity Forest Golf Club, one of the most unique venues in Texas. Follow the link for more! 7 Likes
- TGA Players Box #TGAMembers Check your email inboxes for your exclusive #TexasTuesday deal, brought to you by the #TGAPlayersBox X @shortpar4. Save on men's and women's G/FORE shoes available for only $145 and 4 doz. TaylorMade balls for only $144! Want more deals? ...
- EMMA MCMYLER is your 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur Champion! #rivercrestcountryclub #100texasamateur
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 23 CommentsWay to go, Emma! 👏⛳️🎊Congratulations Emma! So proud of you!!Congrats Emma. Great result. Up Louisburgh!!64 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post The four semifinalists competing to advance to the championship round of the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur have began their matches!
live scoring: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 9 Likes
- We want to thank all of our amazing volunteers who came out to help at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur!
This wouldn’t be possible without you guys
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 1 CommentsThank you! USGA Volunteers!15 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post After 2 rounds of match play, these elite 8 players will compete tomorrow in the quarterfinals.
scores from this afternoon: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 8 Likes
- The day is not over yet 🤯 The 16 winners of this morning’s matches are going back out again!
The second round of matches is underway at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur #rivercrestcountryclub #100texasamateur
Texas Golf Association is at River ... 1 CommentsWatching and cheering the women golfers on from Fair Oaks Ranch!10 Likes
- The TGA sincerely thanks the all River Crest Country Club staff and grounds crew. The 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur couldn’t happen without you and we are grateful for all your hard work.
Texas Golf Association is at River ... 3 CommentsWe couldn’t have wonderful courses without them-thanks!!At every course this is the group of men/women that make it possible for their members to enjoy the sport ...River Crest is so beautiful!26 Likes
- and just like that, match 1 is over 😱 with no. 1 seed Kenlie Barrett defeating no. 32 seed Cari Denson at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur
(8 & 7)!!
keep following along: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is ... 3 Likes