Denton Comes From Behind to Win Lanny Wadkins
PROSPER, Texas – Austin’s Matthew Denton came from behind to win the Lanny Wadkins Junior Championship after a second consecutive 3-under 69 Tuesday afternoon at Gentle Creek Country C lub.
Houston’s Zoe Slaughter captured the Girls 12-18 division after carding a 2-under-par 142 tournament total. Carrollton’s Greg Seo was victorious in the Boys 14 & Under division, winning by two shots.
Gentle Creek Country Club hosted the Lanny Wadkins Junior Championship for the fifth consecutive year. The D.A. Weibring designed golf course winds through the new residential neighborhoods of Prosper. The Boys 15-18 division played the golf course at 7,044 yards, while the Boys 14 & Under division played 6,496 yards and all girls played 5,948 yards.
Denton, 16, birdied the par-5 second hole to get off to a good start, but an ensuing double bogey on the difficult, 456-yard par-4 fourth brought him back to 1-over for the day. He carded two more birdies against a bogey on his front nine to get back to even-par. His closing loop is where the birdies started pouring in. He had four birdies in his final six holes to secure a two shot victory for his first of his career.
Frisco’s Jensen Rogenes fired a final round 4-under 68, including an eagle on the closing par-5 18th hole, to jump into second place. Samuel Kim, the leader after Monday’s first round just couldn’t get anything going and closed with a 1-over 73 that dropped him back to third place. Garrett Martin and Caleb Hicks both shot 3-under 69s to jump into a tie for fourth place Tuesday afternoon. Drake Davidson also finished tied for fourth place after a 1-over 73.
In the Girls 12-18 division, Slaughter, currently second on the LJT Girls Player of the Year Points List, started off her final round hot. She birdied the par-5 second hole, and followed it up with two more birdies on the front side before closing her nine with a double-bogey on the scenic par-3, ninth. She righted the ship before making a few bogeys coming home, but by that time, it was all but over.
Kingwood’s Elise Parel finished one shot back of Slaughter after carding a final round 1-under-par 71. Playing in the group in front of Slaughter, she birdied three of her final four holes trying to play catch up. All she could do was watch the last hole, one in which Slaughter made a par to claim her first LJT victory.
Madigan Murray finished in third place, seven shots back of Slaughter. Haley Vargas and Taylor Mieras finished tied for fourth place.
In the Boys 14 & Under division, Seo won his first Legends Junior Tour event. He finished two strokes ahead of Evan Kugle. Jake Bendetti rounded out the top three.
The Legends Junior Tour will head to Wolfdancer Golf Club August 14-15 for the George Hannon Junior Invitational, the final event of the summer on the LJT schedule.
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🏆 Preston Stout and Matthew Comegys are crowned co-champions of the Legends Junior Tour #LJTNorthTXClassic after posting 11-under-par 133 through 36 holes. Ryann Honea and MacKenzie Moore also took home co-champion honors with a one-stroke victory in the Girls 12-18 ... 6 Likes
- 404: Page Not Found | Mailchimp #SaveTheDate: #FunGolf Events are now open in #Houston & #SanAntonio!
Come play in our 2-person scramble at TPC San Antonio (AT&T Oaks Course) on Oct. 14 (gross & net) & Walden on Lake Conroe on Oct. 17 (gross with flights).
- Texas Golf Association Registration Event Portal :: Master Roster Registration The #Fun continues with our most sought after event, the annual #TexasShamble!
📍 Tapatio Springs Hill Country Resort
🏌️♂️ October 30: Practice Round
🏌️♂️ October 31: Round 1 (Includes Lunch)
🏆 November 1: Round 2 (Prizes/Awards/Includes lunch)
There will ... 1 Likes
- 🚨Registration for the #USWomensFourBall Qualifying closes Sept. 9th!
🏆U.S. Women’s Four-Ball Championship
⛳️Maridoe Golf Club
🗓April 24-28, 2021
Local Qualifying Sites:
Rangers Golf Club - Arlington - Sept. 23
Magnolia Creek GC - League City-Nov. 12
Apply to ...
- TGA Announces Fall Event Series for Men and Women 📢 TGA Announces Fall Series Events - a slate of new competitive tournaments for men & women with at least one new event conducted in Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and the Austin-San Antonio Hill Country area. Follow the link to learn ... 14 Likes
- Timeline Photos We have two more volunteer days coming up this fall with The Spirit Golf Association at the Houston Food Bank! Follow the links to volunteer:
Monday, September 14
Saturday, October 10
https://buff.ly/2QCnuvG 3 Likes
- Jim Brown Honored with Bob Wells Volunteerism Award We are pleased to announce longtime director & past president Jim Brown has received the Bob Wells Distinguished Service Award, the TGA’s highest honor for individuals who’ve contributed to the growth of the game through volunteerism & meritorious service. 23 CommentsRavi Shah Congratulations from the Shahs. Your service to junior golf has and will continue to leave a profound legacy..Anna Schultz Congratulations Jim!! You are very deserving of this award!Chhaya Shah Congratulations Jim. Couldn’t think of a better person who deserves this recognition.52 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jason Schultz of Allen and Prosper’s Russell Williams card a final round 6-under-par 66 to go wire-to-wire and win the #Texas4Ball by three strokes at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course. The were 26-under for the championship.
In the ... 2 CommentsMark Ellis Congratulations Russell! That little course in Crockett churns out some excellent players! 😊Clay Hughey Way to go Russell Williams. Congrats to Sparky and Kennedy too. You guys represented East Texas well.21 Likes
- Following their brilliant 12-under-par 60 in Round 1, Russell Williams and Jason Schultz card an 8-under-par 64 in Round 2 at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course to post 20-under through 36 holes and lead the field by three.
... 1 CommentsJeff Atkinson Congrats, heck of a tournament!8 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Russell Williams & Jason Schultz have known each other since competing as collegiate golfers in the ‘90s. On Friday, they teamed up to card an opening round 12-under-par 60 at the Texas Four-Ball and lead the field by two strokes.
... 16 Likes
- The Spirit Golf Association Announces Appointment of Charlie Epps, PGA, as Interim President The Spirit Golf Association announced today that long-time PGA Professional Charlie Epps will serve as interim president. Epps has served on the SGA Board of Directors since January 2020. Get the full details by clicking the link below. 5 Likes
- Teammates Faith Delagarza and Amari Smith win back to back #WomensFourBall Championship 🏆
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/womens-four-ball-championship-2020-leaderboard 4 Likes
- 🎥 Sunday at the #TexasAmateur! What a great week @bootranchtx!
A new champion has been crowned! Congratulations, @treybosco! The TGA extends its sincere appreciation to the @bootranchtx staff and membership for their efforts in making the 111th Texas Amateur ... 9 Likes