Wolfdancer Golf Club Set to Host George Hannon Junior Invitational
DALLAS — LJT Player of the Year races heat up as penultimate major on the tour schedule heads to Wolfdancer Golf Club on Aug. 14-15. The field is set for the eighth George Hannon Junior Invitational. The tournament offers a true “Tour Championship” feel and serves to identify the state’s best junior golfer in each division.
The LJT Player of the Year Standings awards points to the top finishers in all LJT events and Texas Junior Golf Alliance partner tournaments. The four major championships on the LJT schedule award double points, meaning the winners of the George Hannon Junior Invitational will receive 2,000 points.
In the Boys 15-18 Player of the Year Standings, San Angelo’s Jansen Smith leads Mission’s Jun Min Lee by just under 1,000 points. Byron Nelson Junior Champion Luke Dossey sits in third, just 2,000 points behind Smith. San Antonio’s John Keefer and Granbury’s Tucker Allen round out the top five in the standings.
Two-time defending player of the year Hailey Jones leads the Girls 12-18 Division heading into the George Hannon Junior Invitational. The Dallas native has two wins on the season as well as two runner-up finishes, including recently at the Texas State Junior Championship. Houston’s Zoe Slaughter trails Jones, but has narrowed the gap following her win at the Lanny Wadkins Junior Championship earlier this month. Austin’s Sara Camarena sits in third place in the standings.
Only 12 points separate the Boys 14 & Under Player of the Year leader, Shaheen Momin, from second place’s Andrew Spaulding. Momin has a win at the Jimmy Demaret Junior Classic earlier this year as well as three more top-3 finishes. Spaulding won at the Alamo Shootout and finished third at the James A. Ragan Memorial in February.
The Hannon Cup Society created the event in 2009. Since then the LJT has conducted the prominent invitational. It brings together the top 99 boys and girls in the state, either through invitation or based off the current year’s Player of the Year Standings. Three divisions compete separately: Boys 15-18, Boys 14 & Under and Girls 12-18.
George Hannon was born in Kemp, Texas and served a 59-year PGA career including an 18-year term as the University of Texas’ Men’s Golf Coach. Hannon’s career at UT included NCAA Champion teams in 1971 and 1972 as well as 12 Southwest Conference titles. Hannon coached golf legends such as Ben Crenshaw, Tom Kite, Mark Brooks, Phil Blackmar, Brandel Chamblee, Warren Chancellor, Rik Massengale and Paul Thomas. Hannon was inducted into the Texas Golf Hall of Fame in 1991 and was the Golf Coaches Associations’ 2001 Lifetime Achievement Award recipient.
Last year’s invitational at Omni Barton Creek Resort & Spa’s Cliffside Course was cancelled due to heavy rains and severe lightning in the Austin area. In 2015, San Antonio’s Nicholas Duggan won the Boys 15-18 Division at Spanish Oaks Golf Club. Dallas’ Turner Hosch won the Boys 14 & Under Division, while Austin’s Sadie Englemann won the Girls 12-18 Division.
This will be Wolfdancer Golf Club’s first time hosting the George Hannon Junior Invitational. Wolfdancer joins an elite group of golf courses that have hosted the event including Austin Country Club, UT Golf Club, Spanish Oaks Golf Club and The Hills Country Club.
Past Champions of this event include Max Miller, Joe and Julia Beck, Scottie and Callie Scheffler, Brendan Redfern, Cole Hammer, Thomas Critch, Levi Valadez, Alexandra Rossi, Chandler Phillips and Hailee Cooper.
For more information about the George Hannon Junior Invitational, click here.
To see all the standings for the Player of the Year Points, click here.
- TPC San Antonio Play Day Event Portal :: Welcome Play where the Pros play as we head south to play TPC San Antonio's AT&T Oak's Course.⠀
📍 TPC San Antonio
📆 Wed., October 14 @ 12PM
🏌️ 2-Person Scramble (Gross & Net)
🏆 Includes Golf & Prizes⠀
... 1 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🏆 Preston Stout and Matthew Comegys are crowned co-champions of the Legends Junior Tour #LJTNorthTXClassic after posting 11-under-par 133 through 36 holes. Ryann Honea and MacKenzie Moore also took home co-champion honors with a one-stroke victory in the Girls 12-18 ... 6 Likes
- 404: Page Not Found | Mailchimp #SaveTheDate: #FunGolf Events are now open in #Houston & #SanAntonio!
Come play in our 2-person scramble at TPC San Antonio (AT&T Oaks Course) on Oct. 14 (gross & net) & Walden on Lake Conroe on Oct. 17 (gross with flights).
- Texas Golf Association Registration Event Portal :: Master Roster Registration The #Fun continues with our most sought after event, the annual #TexasShamble!
📍 Tapatio Springs Hill Country Resort
🏌️♂️ October 30: Practice Round
🏌️♂️ October 31: Round 1 (Includes Lunch)
🏆 November 1: Round 2 (Prizes/Awards/Includes lunch)
There will ... 1 Likes
- 🚨Registration for the #USWomensFourBall Qualifying closes Sept. 9th!
🏆U.S. Women’s Four-Ball Championship
⛳️Maridoe Golf Club
🗓April 24-28, 2021
Local Qualifying Sites:
Rangers Golf Club - Arlington - Sept. 23
Magnolia Creek GC - League City-Nov. 12
Apply to ...
- TGA Announces Fall Event Series for Men and Women 📢 TGA Announces Fall Series Events - a slate of new competitive tournaments for men & women with at least one new event conducted in Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and the Austin-San Antonio Hill Country area. Follow the link to learn ... 14 Likes
- Timeline Photos We have two more volunteer days coming up this fall with The Spirit Golf Association at the Houston Food Bank! Follow the links to volunteer:
Monday, September 14
Saturday, October 10
https://buff.ly/2QCnuvG 3 Likes
- Jim Brown Honored with Bob Wells Volunteerism Award We are pleased to announce longtime director & past president Jim Brown has received the Bob Wells Distinguished Service Award, the TGA’s highest honor for individuals who’ve contributed to the growth of the game through volunteerism & meritorious service. 23 CommentsRavi Shah Congratulations from the Shahs. Your service to junior golf has and will continue to leave a profound legacy..Anna Schultz Congratulations Jim!! You are very deserving of this award!Chhaya Shah Congratulations Jim. Couldn’t think of a better person who deserves this recognition.52 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jason Schultz of Allen and Prosper’s Russell Williams card a final round 6-under-par 66 to go wire-to-wire and win the #Texas4Ball by three strokes at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course. The were 26-under for the championship.
In the ... 2 CommentsMark Ellis Congratulations Russell! That little course in Crockett churns out some excellent players! 😊Clay Hughey Way to go Russell Williams. Congrats to Sparky and Kennedy too. You guys represented East Texas well.21 Likes
- Following their brilliant 12-under-par 60 in Round 1, Russell Williams and Jason Schultz card an 8-under-par 64 in Round 2 at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course to post 20-under through 36 holes and lead the field by three.
... 1 CommentsJeff Atkinson Congrats, heck of a tournament!8 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Russell Williams & Jason Schultz have known each other since competing as collegiate golfers in the ‘90s. On Friday, they teamed up to card an opening round 12-under-par 60 at the Texas Four-Ball and lead the field by two strokes.
... 16 Likes
- The Spirit Golf Association Announces Appointment of Charlie Epps, PGA, as Interim President The Spirit Golf Association announced today that long-time PGA Professional Charlie Epps will serve as interim president. Epps has served on the SGA Board of Directors since January 2020. Get the full details by clicking the link below. 5 Likes
- Teammates Faith Delagarza and Amari Smith win back to back #WomensFourBall Championship 🏆
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/womens-four-ball-championship-2020-leaderboard 4 Likes