Trio Ready for USGA Women's State Team
DALLAS—A trio of USGA veterans will represent the Lone Star State in the final playing of the U.S. Women’s State Team Championship from Sept. 26-28 at The Club at Las Campanas in Santa Fe, N.M. Carolyn Creekmore from Dallas, Marian Barker of Lubbock and Mansfield’s Rachel Smith comprise the Texas team.
Since 1995, the USGA has conducted State Team competitions biennially for men and women, in which three-player teams from all 50 states, plus the District of Columbia and Puerto Rico, compete in 54-hole team stroke play formats. This is the last year for the event, which will be replaced in 2018 with the inaugural U.S. Senior Women’s Open.
In the event’s 12-year history, the Texas Women twice have finished as runners-up (1995, 2011). The Texas Men won the event a record four times (1999, 2005, ’07, ’14).
One of the most decorated Texas amateurs in the modern era, Creekmore already has one USGA gold medal and would love to add to it. Winner of the 2004 U.S. Senior Women’s Amateur and four-time U.S. Women’s Mid-Amateur Quarterfinalist, Creekmore has been a model of consistency over the years. She’s in the unique position of playing in the final U.S. Women’s State Team Championship after also being a member of the first team back in 1995.
“First of all, I was totally surprised that I made the team,” said Creekmore, the 1995 WTGA State Amateur champion and a six-time winner of the Texas Women’s Senior Stroke Play Championship who was inducted into the Texas Golf Hall of Fame in 2010. “Nothing is better than playing on a team, except maybe playing for the great State of Texas! I am honored. Toni Wiesner, Robin Burke and I played in the first USGA State Team Championship at Disney World in 1995, so to also be playing in the last one with an equally talented team with Rachel Smith and Marian Barker is very special.”
Along with Creekmore’s extensive USGA experience, Barker has qualified for multiple U.S. Senior Women’s Amateur Championships and Smith has played in several U.S. Women’s Mid-Amateurs. A collegiate volleyball player at New Mexico State and former high school golf coach, Barker is a 10-time winner of the Women’s West Texas Golf Association Championship. She won the Texas Women’s Senior Stroke Play Championship in 2008 and ’09, and teamed with Ryann White to win the 2011 Texas Women’s Four-Ball Championship.
Smith, meanwhile, will make her second appearance in the Women’s State Team Championship. She also represented Texas in 2015. Smith played collegiately at Winthrop University in South Carolina and won the Texas Pinehurst in 2014 with partner Becky Neal. A former Central Texas Women’s Amateur champion, Smith advanced to the Round of 16 at the 95th WTGA State Amateur in 2016.
Perched nearly 7,200 feet above sea level, Las Campanas sports two Jack Nicklaus Signature Courses. The classic desert venue opened in 1991 and features a 48,000-square-foot hacienda-style clubhouse, which is one of the largest abode-constructed buildings in the country. The U.S. Women’s State Team Championship uses a 3-count-2 format to determine team scores for each round of the 54-hole event. For more information, click here.
- TPC San Antonio Play Day Event Portal :: Welcome Play where the Pros play as we head south to play TPC San Antonio's AT&T Oak's Course.⠀
📍 TPC San Antonio
📆 Wed., October 14 @ 12PM
🏌️ 2-Person Scramble (Gross & Net)
🏆 Includes Golf & Prizes⠀
... 2 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🏆 Preston Stout and Matthew Comegys are crowned co-champions of the Legends Junior Tour #LJTNorthTXClassic after posting 11-under-par 133 through 36 holes. Ryann Honea and MacKenzie Moore also took home co-champion honors with a one-stroke victory in the Girls 12-18 ... 6 Likes
- 404: Page Not Found | Mailchimp #SaveTheDate: #FunGolf Events are now open in #Houston & #SanAntonio!
Come play in our 2-person scramble at TPC San Antonio (AT&T Oaks Course) on Oct. 14 (gross & net) & Walden on Lake Conroe on Oct. 17 (gross with flights).
- Texas Golf Association Registration Event Portal :: Master Roster Registration The #Fun continues with our most sought after event, the annual #TexasShamble!
📍 Tapatio Springs Hill Country Resort
🏌️♂️ October 30: Practice Round
🏌️♂️ October 31: Round 1 (Includes Lunch)
🏆 November 1: Round 2 (Prizes/Awards/Includes lunch)
There will ... 1 Likes
- 🚨Registration for the #USWomensFourBall Qualifying closes Sept. 9th!
🏆U.S. Women’s Four-Ball Championship
⛳️Maridoe Golf Club
🗓April 24-28, 2021
Local Qualifying Sites:
Rangers Golf Club - Arlington - Sept. 23
Magnolia Creek GC - League City-Nov. 12
Apply to ...
- TGA Announces Fall Event Series for Men and Women 📢 TGA Announces Fall Series Events - a slate of new competitive tournaments for men & women with at least one new event conducted in Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and the Austin-San Antonio Hill Country area. Follow the link to learn ... 14 Likes
- Timeline Photos We have two more volunteer days coming up this fall with The Spirit Golf Association at the Houston Food Bank! Follow the links to volunteer:
Monday, September 14
Saturday, October 10
https://buff.ly/2QCnuvG 3 Likes
- Jim Brown Honored with Bob Wells Volunteerism Award We are pleased to announce longtime director & past president Jim Brown has received the Bob Wells Distinguished Service Award, the TGA’s highest honor for individuals who’ve contributed to the growth of the game through volunteerism & meritorious service. 23 CommentsRavi Shah Congratulations from the Shahs. Your service to junior golf has and will continue to leave a profound legacy..Anna Schultz Congratulations Jim!! You are very deserving of this award!Chhaya Shah Congratulations Jim. Couldn’t think of a better person who deserves this recognition.52 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jason Schultz of Allen and Prosper’s Russell Williams card a final round 6-under-par 66 to go wire-to-wire and win the #Texas4Ball by three strokes at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course. The were 26-under for the championship.
In the ... 2 CommentsMark Ellis Congratulations Russell! That little course in Crockett churns out some excellent players! 😊Clay Hughey Way to go Russell Williams. Congrats to Sparky and Kennedy too. You guys represented East Texas well.21 Likes
- Following their brilliant 12-under-par 60 in Round 1, Russell Williams and Jason Schultz card an 8-under-par 64 in Round 2 at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course to post 20-under through 36 holes and lead the field by three.
... 1 CommentsJeff Atkinson Congrats, heck of a tournament!8 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Russell Williams & Jason Schultz have known each other since competing as collegiate golfers in the ‘90s. On Friday, they teamed up to card an opening round 12-under-par 60 at the Texas Four-Ball and lead the field by two strokes.
... 16 Likes
- The Spirit Golf Association Announces Appointment of Charlie Epps, PGA, as Interim President The Spirit Golf Association announced today that long-time PGA Professional Charlie Epps will serve as interim president. Epps has served on the SGA Board of Directors since January 2020. Get the full details by clicking the link below. 5 Likes
- Teammates Faith Delagarza and Amari Smith win back to back #WomensFourBall Championship 🏆
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/womens-four-ball-championship-2020-leaderboard 4 Likes