Trio Ready for USGA Women's State Team
DALLAS—A trio of USGA veterans will represent the Lone Star State in the final playing of the U.S. Women’s State Team Championship from Sept. 26-28 at The Club at Las Campanas in Santa Fe, N.M. Carolyn Creekmore from Dallas, Marian Barker of Lubbock and Mansfield’s Rachel Smith comprise the Texas team.
Since 1995, the USGA has conducted State Team competitions biennially for men and women, in which three-player teams from all 50 states, plus the District of Columbia and Puerto Rico, compete in 54-hole team stroke play formats. This is the last year for the event, which will be replaced in 2018 with the inaugural U.S. Senior Women’s Open.
In the event’s 12-year history, the Texas Women twice have finished as runners-up (1995, 2011). The Texas Men won the event a record four times (1999, 2005, ’07, ’14).
One of the most decorated Texas amateurs in the modern era, Creekmore already has one USGA gold medal and would love to add to it. Winner of the 2004 U.S. Senior Women’s Amateur and four-time U.S. Women’s Mid-Amateur Quarterfinalist, Creekmore has been a model of consistency over the years. She’s in the unique position of playing in the final U.S. Women’s State Team Championship after also being a member of the first team back in 1995.
“First of all, I was totally surprised that I made the team,” said Creekmore, the 1995 WTGA State Amateur champion and a six-time winner of the Texas Women’s Senior Stroke Play Championship who was inducted into the Texas Golf Hall of Fame in 2010. “Nothing is better than playing on a team, except maybe playing for the great State of Texas! I am honored. Toni Wiesner, Robin Burke and I played in the first USGA State Team Championship at Disney World in 1995, so to also be playing in the last one with an equally talented team with Rachel Smith and Marian Barker is very special.”
Along with Creekmore’s extensive USGA experience, Barker has qualified for multiple U.S. Senior Women’s Amateur Championships and Smith has played in several U.S. Women’s Mid-Amateurs. A collegiate volleyball player at New Mexico State and former high school golf coach, Barker is a 10-time winner of the Women’s West Texas Golf Association Championship. She won the Texas Women’s Senior Stroke Play Championship in 2008 and ’09, and teamed with Ryann White to win the 2011 Texas Women’s Four-Ball Championship.
Smith, meanwhile, will make her second appearance in the Women’s State Team Championship. She also represented Texas in 2015. Smith played collegiately at Winthrop University in South Carolina and won the Texas Pinehurst in 2014 with partner Becky Neal. A former Central Texas Women’s Amateur champion, Smith advanced to the Round of 16 at the 95th WTGA State Amateur in 2016.
Perched nearly 7,200 feet above sea level, Las Campanas sports two Jack Nicklaus Signature Courses. The classic desert venue opened in 1991 and features a 48,000-square-foot hacienda-style clubhouse, which is one of the largest abode-constructed buildings in the country. The U.S. Women’s State Team Championship uses a 3-count-2 format to determine team scores for each round of the 54-hole event. For more information, click here.
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post All 😃’s as Round 1 of the #Texas4Ball gets underway from Horseshoe Bay Resort Apple Rock! ⏰
ℹ️ More info: https://www.txga.org/tga-texas-four-ball-texas-golf-association-2021/
🔢 Leaderboard: golfgenius.com/pages/2863285
Texas Golf Association is at AppleRock Golf Course. 11 Likes
- Texas Four-Ball Set for Aug. 27-29 Texas Four-Ball Set for Aug. 27-29
“We are extremely excited to have the opportunity to return to Horseshoe Bay Resort for this year’s Texas Four-Ball Championship.” -Chris Untiedt, TGA Tournament Director
Follow the 🔗 for more. 5 Likes
- The 2021 Texas Golf Association Amateur Championship to begin this weekend! Hear from our very own John Cochran about the #SouthAm taking place this weekend at Galveston Country Club.
ℹ️ Follow along here: https://t.co/tCvFKgk5XL
📽 via FOX 26 Houston
https://www-fox26houston-com.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/www.fox26houston.com/video/963263.amp 23 Likes
- Texas Golf Association on Twitter 🚨MIXER ALERT🚨 Join us for #HappyHour! Register solo or up to a team of six! Price includes 2hrs of #Topgolf, buffet & more! Compete for raffles & prizes. Guests 21+ enjoy a round of beer/wine on us! SPACE IS LIMITED. ... 1 Likes
- It is with deep sadness that the TGA announces the passing of John Semander. The longtime TGA volunteer and Past Director passed away on July 27. He was 89 years old.
Read More: https://bit.ly/3xiWlB0 13 CommentsThank you TGA for a beautiful tribute to such an amazing man. John was simply the BEST! He will be ...Oh man so sorry to hear. He was an incredible man!!! I’m glad that I had the privilege to work ...A good man with such a warm demeanor and servants heart. He was that rare person who could put a ...33 Likes
- TGA Par-Tee | TopGolf Dallas Come Par-Tee with the TGA for #HappyHour at #Topgolf #Dallas! Enjoy a buffet of food, drinks, snacks & desserts, plus 2 hours of 🏌️♂️! Bays will compete for #SwagBags & a #FunGolf Play Day for two! Did we mention the ... 1 Likes
- Pairings and starting times for the Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play have been released! More info 👇
⏰Starting times: https://www.txga.org/2021-texas-mid-amateur-match-play-leaderboard/
Texas Golf Association is at Trinity Forest Golf Club. 1 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Congratulations to the 93rd West Texas Amateur Champion Garrett Leek🏆
🏆Senior Champion: Mike Booker
🏆Super Senior Champion: Craig Urban
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 24 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jansen Smith of San Angelo and Garrett Leek of Brock share the lead through two rounds at the #WestTexasAm 🏜
18 holes remain at Abilene Country Club (South Course)
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - ... 6 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🪣 🪣 bucket hats are out in full force. Round 2 of the #WestTexasAm is in action.
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/west-texas-amateur-leaderboard-2021
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 7 Likes
- Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play Set for July 22-25 The Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play is set for July 22-25 pitting the top amateur golfers age 25+ against one another at Trinity Forest Golf Club, one of the most unique venues in Texas. Follow the link for more! 7 Likes
- TGA Players Box #TGAMembers Check your email inboxes for your exclusive #TexasTuesday deal, brought to you by the #TGAPlayersBox X @shortpar4. Save on men's and women's G/FORE shoes available for only $145 and 4 doz. TaylorMade balls for only $144! Want more deals? ...