Niblett's Final-Round 72 Secures Texas Girls' Invitational Victory
LUFKIN, Texas – Makenzie Niblett’s final round of even-par 72 vaulted her up the leaderboard to capture the eighth annual Texas Girls’ Invitational Sunday afternoon at Crown Colony Country Club. This was the first Legends Junior Tour victory of her young career.
Without one score under par for the tournament, Crown Colony proved to be a very difficult challenge for 50 of the top girls in the state. A score of 1-over 73 led the championship after the first round, and two even-par 72’s were carded in the final round, one of which was Niblett’s, the other belonged to Richardson’s Libby Winans.
Crown Colony, once heralded as the top golf course in the state of Texas, is nestled in the tall pine trees of east Texas. The course’s tight fairways, elevated greens and numerous hazards proved a challenge for all players.
Playing in the third to last group, Niblett had no idea where she stood. After an even-par 36 opening nine, she had moved from tied for sixth place up to second place, only behind her playing partner and high school teammate, Kaylee Vesely.
“I didn’t know where I stood,” Niblett said. “I just wanted to keep playing one shot at a time and stay calm and focused.”
She stayed focused except for one blip on her scorecard, a double-bogey on the 352-yard, par-4 11th hole. Following that double bogey, she got back to what she was doing well before that.
“I kept it calm and steady, making putts and hitting a lot of fairways. That allowed me to stay focused throughout the round all the way through.”
Following her round, Vesely’s dad, and caddie, told Niblett she deserved to win this tournament more than anyone.
“I thought he was just telling me that because I played well and my attitude was good all day, but then I realized I was actually in the lead once we finished and just had to hang on.”
She survived those final two groups behind her and was able to claim the ‘Nez Muhleman Trophy. She won by the slimmest of margins over Winans, who played in the group in front of her. Winans’ final round 72 vaulted her from a tie for ninth to start the day all the way to second place Sunday afternoon.
Vesely, who was leading after making the turn, struggled down the stretch, but was able to finish in third place, only two shots back of Niblett. Boerne’s Delaney Martin finished in fourth place, carding a final-round 74 that included a back-nine 4-under 32. Hailey Jones and Zoe Slaughter, who sit first and second, respectively, on the LJT Girls Player of the Year Points List, finished in a tie for fifth place, four shots back of Niblett.
The Legends Junior Tour created the Texas Girls’ Invitational in 2010. The inaugural event had 12 girls. The championship was at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club for the previous five years before moving to Crown Colony in 2017. All girls played 5,968 yards.
The Tour would like to thank Crown Colony’s staff and membership for making this event a memorable one for the players, families and guests.
For more information on the Texas Girls’ Invitational or the Legends Junior Tour, please visit www.TXGA.org.
For final results, click here.
- TPC San Antonio Play Day Event Portal :: Welcome Play where the Pros play as we head south to play TPC San Antonio's AT&T Oak's Course.⠀
📍 TPC San Antonio
📆 Wed., October 14 @ 12PM
🏌️ 2-Person Scramble (Gross & Net)
🏆 Includes Golf & Prizes⠀
... 1 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🏆 Preston Stout and Matthew Comegys are crowned co-champions of the Legends Junior Tour #LJTNorthTXClassic after posting 11-under-par 133 through 36 holes. Ryann Honea and MacKenzie Moore also took home co-champion honors with a one-stroke victory in the Girls 12-18 ... 6 Likes
- 404: Page Not Found | Mailchimp #SaveTheDate: #FunGolf Events are now open in #Houston & #SanAntonio!
Come play in our 2-person scramble at TPC San Antonio (AT&T Oaks Course) on Oct. 14 (gross & net) & Walden on Lake Conroe on Oct. 17 (gross with flights).
- Texas Golf Association Registration Event Portal :: Master Roster Registration The #Fun continues with our most sought after event, the annual #TexasShamble!
📍 Tapatio Springs Hill Country Resort
🏌️♂️ October 30: Practice Round
🏌️♂️ October 31: Round 1 (Includes Lunch)
🏆 November 1: Round 2 (Prizes/Awards/Includes lunch)
There will ... 1 Likes
- 🚨Registration for the #USWomensFourBall Qualifying closes Sept. 9th!
🏆U.S. Women’s Four-Ball Championship
⛳️Maridoe Golf Club
🗓April 24-28, 2021
Local Qualifying Sites:
Rangers Golf Club - Arlington - Sept. 23
Magnolia Creek GC - League City-Nov. 12
Apply to ...
- TGA Announces Fall Event Series for Men and Women 📢 TGA Announces Fall Series Events - a slate of new competitive tournaments for men & women with at least one new event conducted in Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and the Austin-San Antonio Hill Country area. Follow the link to learn ... 14 Likes
- Timeline Photos We have two more volunteer days coming up this fall with The Spirit Golf Association at the Houston Food Bank! Follow the links to volunteer:
Monday, September 14
Saturday, October 10
https://buff.ly/2QCnuvG 3 Likes
- Jim Brown Honored with Bob Wells Volunteerism Award We are pleased to announce longtime director & past president Jim Brown has received the Bob Wells Distinguished Service Award, the TGA’s highest honor for individuals who’ve contributed to the growth of the game through volunteerism & meritorious service. 23 CommentsRavi Shah Congratulations from the Shahs. Your service to junior golf has and will continue to leave a profound legacy..Anna Schultz Congratulations Jim!! You are very deserving of this award!Chhaya Shah Congratulations Jim. Couldn’t think of a better person who deserves this recognition.52 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jason Schultz of Allen and Prosper’s Russell Williams card a final round 6-under-par 66 to go wire-to-wire and win the #Texas4Ball by three strokes at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course. The were 26-under for the championship.
In the ... 2 CommentsMark Ellis Congratulations Russell! That little course in Crockett churns out some excellent players! 😊Clay Hughey Way to go Russell Williams. Congrats to Sparky and Kennedy too. You guys represented East Texas well.21 Likes
- Following their brilliant 12-under-par 60 in Round 1, Russell Williams and Jason Schultz card an 8-under-par 64 in Round 2 at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course to post 20-under through 36 holes and lead the field by three.
... 1 CommentsJeff Atkinson Congrats, heck of a tournament!8 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Russell Williams & Jason Schultz have known each other since competing as collegiate golfers in the ‘90s. On Friday, they teamed up to card an opening round 12-under-par 60 at the Texas Four-Ball and lead the field by two strokes.
... 16 Likes
- The Spirit Golf Association Announces Appointment of Charlie Epps, PGA, as Interim President The Spirit Golf Association announced today that long-time PGA Professional Charlie Epps will serve as interim president. Epps has served on the SGA Board of Directors since January 2020. Get the full details by clicking the link below. 5 Likes
- Teammates Faith Delagarza and Amari Smith win back to back #WomensFourBall Championship 🏆
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/womens-four-ball-championship-2020-leaderboard 4 Likes