Two Tied for Texas Senior Amateur First Round Lead
DALLAS – Ed Brooks from Fort Worth and Kyle Kelting from Amarillo shot matching 2-under-par 69s on Friday and share the first round lead of the 2017 Texas Senior Amateur Championship at Royal Oaks Country Club.
A steady rain persisted throughout much of the day at the beautifully manicured course near downtown Dallas. Brooks and Kelting played the entirety of their rounds in the rain, and both handled the elements like veterans. Brooks, who won the 1997 Texas Amateur, bogeyed his first hole and proceeded to play the next 17 bogey-free with three birdies. Kelting, a newly minted 55-year-old playing in his first senior amateur event, made four birdies on the day.
They hold one-shot lead over Alan Hill from Spring Branch and San Antonio’s John Pierce. Hill, the 2003 Texas Player of the Year, birdied three of his final five holes to get in at 1-under 70. Pierce, the 2016 runner-up, made three birdies on the day. Dallas native Chuck Palmer – a Royal Oaks Member who has won 16 club championships – is tied for fifth place with Jon Freeman of Flour Mound at even-par 71.
Brooks, who finished third at the 2016 Texas Senior Amateur, said he’s been working on a swing change to fight a nagging hook. It’s a work in progress, he said, but he managed his game well enough in Round 1.
“I was just steady all day,” said Brooks, who also won the 1997 Southern Amateur. “I didn’t make any big mistakes along the way. So that helped.”
Kelting, a two-time winner of Amarillo’s Tournament of Champions, played his final seven holes at 3-under.
“I pride myself on ball-striking, and I have been putting the ball much better lately,” Kelting said. “Of course, on greens like these, you’re going to putt well. They’re perfect, and I love them.”
Even with the wet conditions, players raved about the conditioning of the golf course. Originally designed by J. Press Maxwell, Don January and Billy Martindale in 1969, the family focused club was renovated in 2014. During the course upgrades, the putting surfaces went from bentgrass to the Mini Verde Ultradwarf Bermuda, and they roll perfectly.
The seniors are playing the tree-lined, shot-makers course this week as a par 71 at approximately 6,650. The 144-player field posted a stroke average of 78.50 in the first round. The back nine (39.69) played slightly more difficult than the front (38.80). The 451-yard, par-4 13th hole provided the greatest challenge and played to an average of 4.76. Players were able to rebound immediately, however. The 516-yard, par-5 14th hole played the easiest on the course at 5.15.
The field will be cut to the low 54 scores and ties following Saturday’s second round.
Regarded as one of the state’s supreme ball-striker’s layouts, Royal Oaks is playing host to its fourth TGA major championship. Previously, the club was the site of the 2015 Texas Mid-Amateur and the 2010 and 1974 Texas Amateurs.
Lewis Stephenson, the defending champion from Mansfield, put himself in good position with a 1-over 72 in the first round. He’s one of six players tied for seventh place. Stephenson started the day with eight straight pars before he made bogeys on the ninth and 13th holes. A birdie on the par-4 17th gives him some momentum headed into Saturday.
On Thursday night’s player reception at Royal Oaks, Stephenson picked up the 2016 Texas Senior Player of the Year award. In addition to his Texas Senior Amateur victory last fall at Escondido, the Mansfield resident was a runner-up at the 2016 North Senior Amateur, T25 at the Texas Mid-Amateur and T15 in the Senior Division of the Texas Four-Ball Championship with partner Doug Hopton-Jones.
The second round of the 2017 Texas Senior Amateur begins Saturday at 8 a.m. For more information, including complete results, click here.
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post All 😃’s as Round 1 of the #Texas4Ball gets underway from Horseshoe Bay Resort Apple Rock! ⏰
ℹ️ More info: https://www.txga.org/tga-texas-four-ball-texas-golf-association-2021/
🔢 Leaderboard: golfgenius.com/pages/2863285
Texas Golf Association is at AppleRock Golf Course. 10 Likes
- Texas Four-Ball Set for Aug. 27-29 Texas Four-Ball Set for Aug. 27-29
“We are extremely excited to have the opportunity to return to Horseshoe Bay Resort for this year’s Texas Four-Ball Championship.” -Chris Untiedt, TGA Tournament Director
Follow the 🔗 for more. 5 Likes
- The 2021 Texas Golf Association Amateur Championship to begin this weekend! Hear from our very own John Cochran about the #SouthAm taking place this weekend at Galveston Country Club.
ℹ️ Follow along here: https://t.co/tCvFKgk5XL
📽 via FOX 26 Houston
https://www-fox26houston-com.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/www.fox26houston.com/video/963263.amp 23 Likes
- Texas Golf Association on Twitter 🚨MIXER ALERT🚨 Join us for #HappyHour! Register solo or up to a team of six! Price includes 2hrs of #Topgolf, buffet & more! Compete for raffles & prizes. Guests 21+ enjoy a round of beer/wine on us! SPACE IS LIMITED. ... 1 Likes
- It is with deep sadness that the TGA announces the passing of John Semander. The longtime TGA volunteer and Past Director passed away on July 27. He was 89 years old.
Read More: https://bit.ly/3xiWlB0 13 CommentsThank you TGA for a beautiful tribute to such an amazing man. John was simply the BEST! He will be ...Oh man so sorry to hear. He was an incredible man!!! I’m glad that I had the privilege to work ...A good man with such a warm demeanor and servants heart. He was that rare person who could put a ...33 Likes
- TGA Par-Tee | TopGolf Dallas Come Par-Tee with the TGA for #HappyHour at #Topgolf #Dallas! Enjoy a buffet of food, drinks, snacks & desserts, plus 2 hours of 🏌️♂️! Bays will compete for #SwagBags & a #FunGolf Play Day for two! Did we mention the ... 1 Likes
- Pairings and starting times for the Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play have been released! More info 👇
⏰Starting times: https://www.txga.org/2021-texas-mid-amateur-match-play-leaderboard/
Texas Golf Association is at Trinity Forest Golf Club. 1 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Congratulations to the 93rd West Texas Amateur Champion Garrett Leek🏆
🏆Senior Champion: Mike Booker
🏆Super Senior Champion: Craig Urban
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 24 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jansen Smith of San Angelo and Garrett Leek of Brock share the lead through two rounds at the #WestTexasAm 🏜
18 holes remain at Abilene Country Club (South Course)
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - ... 6 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🪣 🪣 bucket hats are out in full force. Round 2 of the #WestTexasAm is in action.
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/west-texas-amateur-leaderboard-2021
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 7 Likes
- Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play Set for July 22-25 The Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play is set for July 22-25 pitting the top amateur golfers age 25+ against one another at Trinity Forest Golf Club, one of the most unique venues in Texas. Follow the link for more! 7 Likes
- TGA Players Box #TGAMembers Check your email inboxes for your exclusive #TexasTuesday deal, brought to you by the #TGAPlayersBox X @shortpar4. Save on men's and women's G/FORE shoes available for only $145 and 4 doz. TaylorMade balls for only $144! Want more deals? ...