South Team Lead by Four Points after First Day of Texas Shootout
South Team Leads by Four Points after First Day of Texas Shootout
Carrollton, TX – The South Team leads the Texas Shootout by four points over the North Team at Maridoe Golf Club. The South team took control early in the Foursomes Matches but the North Team rallied in the afternoon Four-Ball matches.
The Texas Shootout pits 24 of the best Mid-Amateurs and Seniors in the state against each other with players representing North and South region. Of the 12 team members, four places on the team are reserved for the top point earners in the Texas Golf Association’s Senior Player of the Year Points. Mid-Amateurs are comprised of Regional and Statewide Player of the Year points.
The format for the shootout leads with six Foursome matches Saturday Morning, six Four-Ball matches in afternoon and 12 Singles matches Sunday. Using a Nassau scoring format, points are earned from the Front Nine, Back Nine and Overall. The first team to total 36 ½ points are champions.
After an hour and fifteen minute frost delay, the morning foursome matches got underway. Rob Couture and Scott Volpitto started for the North Team got off to a fast start but Randy Lance and Tony Soerries of the South Team battled back and earned a hard fought point for the front side. Lance and Sorries continued to maintain control and locked down a point for the back nine and overall.
Bryant Lach and Trevor Sauntry of the South Team jumped out to a lead on the first hole and never looked back, earning all three points available.
In the first Senior Match, South Team members Alan Hill and John McClure took the front nine match but failed to maintain the lead. Chuck Palmer and Dave Davis came from behind and took the back nine as well as halving the overall portion. Each team took home a point and half.
South Team members, John Pierce and Chris Hartenstein lead for most of the front nine but fought to get a half point. They continued to press and closed out the North Team for all three points.
Tim Hamm and Ed Sanchez kept the South Team pressure on the North when they took all three points. However, they were answered when the North Team got their first sweep with three points from Josh Irving and Scott Abbott.
After the Foursome Matches, the South Team led, 13 points to 5.
In the afternoon Four-Ball Matches, the South came out firing once again. Bryant Lach and Randy Lance took two and half in the first match out.
In the following Match, Brad Gibson and Rob Couture for the North though earned all three points to keep pace with the South Team.
North Team Captain Lewis Stephenson and Dave Davis took the front side in their match but were caught when South Team captain John Pierce and John McClure rallied to earn a full two points on the back.
In the last Senior match of the day, the North Team of Chuck Palmer and Jerry Hudgins halved each of the three matches with their South Team counterparts Chris Hartenstein and Alan Hill.
2017 Texas Four-Ball Champions Josh Irving and Will Osborne of the North Team won their front side and overall for two point but the South Team of Tim Hamm and Stephen Paterson earned a point on the last hole, to take a back nine point.
Earning the last three points in the twilight of the first day was the North Team’s Scott Abott and Kevin Doskocil.
Despite the North Team’s comeback, the South Team will maintain their lead headed in the Sunday Single Matches at a score of 20 points to 16. With an additional 36 points still on the table in singles matches, either side is positioned to claim the 2017 Texas Shootout.
For match results, Sunday Singles Pairings and information, please click here
- TPC San Antonio Play Day Event Portal :: Welcome Play where the Pros play as we head south to play TPC San Antonio's AT&T Oak's Course.⠀
📍 TPC San Antonio
📆 Wed., October 14 @ 12PM
🏌️ 2-Person Scramble (Gross & Net)
🏆 Includes Golf & Prizes⠀
... 1 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🏆 Preston Stout and Matthew Comegys are crowned co-champions of the Legends Junior Tour #LJTNorthTXClassic after posting 11-under-par 133 through 36 holes. Ryann Honea and MacKenzie Moore also took home co-champion honors with a one-stroke victory in the Girls 12-18 ... 6 Likes
- 404: Page Not Found | Mailchimp #SaveTheDate: #FunGolf Events are now open in #Houston & #SanAntonio!
Come play in our 2-person scramble at TPC San Antonio (AT&T Oaks Course) on Oct. 14 (gross & net) & Walden on Lake Conroe on Oct. 17 (gross with flights).
- Texas Golf Association Registration Event Portal :: Master Roster Registration The #Fun continues with our most sought after event, the annual #TexasShamble!
📍 Tapatio Springs Hill Country Resort
🏌️♂️ October 30: Practice Round
🏌️♂️ October 31: Round 1 (Includes Lunch)
🏆 November 1: Round 2 (Prizes/Awards/Includes lunch)
There will ... 1 Likes
- 🚨Registration for the #USWomensFourBall Qualifying closes Sept. 9th!
🏆U.S. Women’s Four-Ball Championship
⛳️Maridoe Golf Club
🗓April 24-28, 2021
Local Qualifying Sites:
Rangers Golf Club - Arlington - Sept. 23
Magnolia Creek GC - League City-Nov. 12
Apply to ...
- TGA Announces Fall Event Series for Men and Women 📢 TGA Announces Fall Series Events - a slate of new competitive tournaments for men & women with at least one new event conducted in Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and the Austin-San Antonio Hill Country area. Follow the link to learn ... 14 Likes
- Timeline Photos We have two more volunteer days coming up this fall with The Spirit Golf Association at the Houston Food Bank! Follow the links to volunteer:
Monday, September 14
Saturday, October 10
https://buff.ly/2QCnuvG 3 Likes
- Jim Brown Honored with Bob Wells Volunteerism Award We are pleased to announce longtime director & past president Jim Brown has received the Bob Wells Distinguished Service Award, the TGA’s highest honor for individuals who’ve contributed to the growth of the game through volunteerism & meritorious service. 23 CommentsRavi Shah Congratulations from the Shahs. Your service to junior golf has and will continue to leave a profound legacy..Anna Schultz Congratulations Jim!! You are very deserving of this award!Chhaya Shah Congratulations Jim. Couldn’t think of a better person who deserves this recognition.52 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jason Schultz of Allen and Prosper’s Russell Williams card a final round 6-under-par 66 to go wire-to-wire and win the #Texas4Ball by three strokes at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course. The were 26-under for the championship.
In the ... 2 CommentsMark Ellis Congratulations Russell! That little course in Crockett churns out some excellent players! 😊Clay Hughey Way to go Russell Williams. Congrats to Sparky and Kennedy too. You guys represented East Texas well.21 Likes
- Following their brilliant 12-under-par 60 in Round 1, Russell Williams and Jason Schultz card an 8-under-par 64 in Round 2 at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course to post 20-under through 36 holes and lead the field by three.
... 1 CommentsJeff Atkinson Congrats, heck of a tournament!8 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Russell Williams & Jason Schultz have known each other since competing as collegiate golfers in the ‘90s. On Friday, they teamed up to card an opening round 12-under-par 60 at the Texas Four-Ball and lead the field by two strokes.
... 16 Likes
- The Spirit Golf Association Announces Appointment of Charlie Epps, PGA, as Interim President The Spirit Golf Association announced today that long-time PGA Professional Charlie Epps will serve as interim president. Epps has served on the SGA Board of Directors since January 2020. Get the full details by clicking the link below. 5 Likes
- Teammates Faith Delagarza and Amari Smith win back to back #WomensFourBall Championship 🏆
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/womens-four-ball-championship-2020-leaderboard 4 Likes