Damin Strydom Leads Texas Cup by One Stroke at 4-Under-Par
FORT WORTH – Kingwood’s Damin Strydom played his game in the windy conditions for Saturday’s first round of the Legends Junior Tour Texas Cup Invitational. Strydom made three birdies and an eagle en route to his 4-under 67 at Ridglea Country Club.
Ridglea Country Club is hosting the Texas Cup for the first time. The tournament is being contested on the club’s North Course, which is playing to 6,477 yards on the par-71 layout. The tournament was previously held at Mira Vista Country Club for the past four years. The bermuda greens at Ridglea CC were rolling great on Saturday, giving the field fits with its subtle breaks and hilly terrains.
Strydom, who started his round on No. 10, got off to a hot start with back-to-back birdies on Nos. 11 and 12, which played into the wind with gusts upwards of 30 miles per hour. After a par on No. 13, the 2017 Bluebonnet Champion walked up to the 280-yard par-4 14th and piped a driver on to the green. He snaked in his 12-foot eagle putt to get to 4-under through his first six holes.
“I’m usually a good player in the wind and today I just played my game,” said Strydom after his round. “The eagle putt on No. 14 was huge for my confidence as well as the birdies on 11 and 12.”
A bogey on No. 17 was his only blemish of the day, but a bounce-back birdie on No. 1 got him back to his mark of 4-under, which would be his final score for the day.
“Tomorrow I’m going to look to keep playing my game,” replied Strydom about Sunday’s final round. “Winning the Bluebonnet Championship gave me the confidence to trust my game heading into the final round.”
Sitting one stroke back of Strydom is Austin’s Matthew Denton, who won the Lanny Wadkins Junior Championship earlier this year. Denton started off his round with a bogey on No. 10, but got back to even-par on No. 18 with a birdie. After making the turn, the 2019 graduate played the next nine holes at 3-under, making birdie on the par-5 first, the par-3 fourth and the par-3 seventh.
Padraic Sim of Spanish Fort, Ala. sits tied with Fort Worth and Ridglea Country Club’s own Brandon Massey and Prosper’s Matthew Griggs. All three players shot 2-under 69 on Saturday and are two strokes back.
Sim is competing in the Texas Cup by virtue of the invitation he received for winning the 72nd Boys State Junior Championship in Alabama earlier this year. Sim is coming off a fourth-place finish at South Carolina Junior Golf Association’s 23rd Bobby Chapman Invitational.
“I like playing in Texas because my golf ball goes further,” replied Sim when asked about the difference between playing in Texas versus Alabama. “I have to adjust some of the lines I take and account for the ball rolling out in the fairways.”
Sim made six birdies on the day, but started with three bogeys in his first five holes. He said that No. 6 was where he turned it around and played the final 13 holes at 4-under. Massey made three birdies to one bogey in his first round, taking advantage of the 530-yard No. 9 and the 385-yard No. 10. Griggs made the turn with three straight birdies on Nos. 16-18 after starting his day on No. 10.
Nathan Petronzio of Bee Cave sits in sixth place heading into Sunday’s final round at 1-under, while League City’s Andre Jacobs, Austin’s Trey Bosco, Frisco’s Dawson Ovard and Austin’s Brandon Hoff are in a tie for seventh at even-par.
Jack Randle, Tommy Boone, Hanseung Chang and Trace Martin are tied for 11th at 1-over, while nine other players are tied for 15th at 2-over.
Saturday’s first round saw 179 birdies by the 78-player field along with 12 eagles to just 187 bogeys. No. 18 saw six eagles on the 500-yard par 5 along with 30 birdies to only eight bogeys and one double bogey. The 430-yard 13th hole played as the toughest of the day, seeing only three birdies and 24 pars to 51 scores over par.
The Texas Cup Invitational is a boys-only event and the last major event on the LJT schedule. This is the last event that boys have a chance to earn player of the year points, which determine the teams for the Jackie Burke Cup. This year’s Jackie Burke Cup is being contested at The Cascades Club in Tyler on Nov. 11-12.
Tee times for the final round of the Texas Cup Invitational are scheduled to begin at 7:30 am on Sunday, Nov. 5. Players will tee off the No. 1 and 10 tees in the morning until 9:30 am. For more information about the Texas Cup Invitational, click here.
- The 2021 Texas Golf Association Amateur Championship to begin this weekend! Hear from our very own John Cochran about the #SouthAm taking place this weekend at Galveston Country Club.
ℹ️ Follow along here: https://t.co/tCvFKgk5XL
📽 via FOX 26 Houston
https://www-fox26houston-com.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/www.fox26houston.com/video/963263.amp 23 Likes
- Texas Golf Association on Twitter 🚨MIXER ALERT🚨 Join us for #HappyHour! Register solo or up to a team of six! Price includes 2hrs of #Topgolf, buffet & more! Compete for raffles & prizes. Guests 21+ enjoy a round of beer/wine on us! SPACE IS LIMITED. ... 1 Likes
- It is with deep sadness that the TGA announces the passing of John Semander. The longtime TGA volunteer and Past Director passed away on July 27. He was 89 years old.
Read More: https://bit.ly/3xiWlB0 13 CommentsOh man so sorry to hear. He was an incredible man!!! I’m glad that I had the privilege to work ...A good man with such a warm demeanor and servants heart. He was that rare person who could put a ...A lovely man, was so kind to me when I worked over there. Have such positive memories of him. RIP John33 Likes
- TGA Par-Tee | TopGolf Dallas Come Par-Tee with the TGA for #HappyHour at #Topgolf #Dallas! Enjoy a buffet of food, drinks, snacks & desserts, plus 2 hours of 🏌️♂️! Bays will compete for #SwagBags & a #FunGolf Play Day for two! Did we mention the ... 1 Likes
- Pairings and starting times for the Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play have been released! More info 👇
⏰Starting times: https://www.txga.org/2021-texas-mid-amateur-match-play-leaderboard/
Texas Golf Association is at Trinity Forest Golf Club. 1 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Congratulations to the 93rd West Texas Amateur Champion Garrett Leek🏆
🏆Senior Champion: Mike Booker
🏆Super Senior Champion: Craig Urban
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 24 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jansen Smith of San Angelo and Garrett Leek of Brock share the lead through two rounds at the #WestTexasAm 🏜
18 holes remain at Abilene Country Club (South Course)
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - ... 6 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🪣 🪣 bucket hats are out in full force. Round 2 of the #WestTexasAm is in action.
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/west-texas-amateur-leaderboard-2021
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 7 Likes
- Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play Set for July 22-25 The Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play is set for July 22-25 pitting the top amateur golfers age 25+ against one another at Trinity Forest Golf Club, one of the most unique venues in Texas. Follow the link for more! 7 Likes
- TGA Players Box #TGAMembers Check your email inboxes for your exclusive #TexasTuesday deal, brought to you by the #TGAPlayersBox X @shortpar4. Save on men's and women's G/FORE shoes available for only $145 and 4 doz. TaylorMade balls for only $144! Want more deals? ...
- EMMA MCMYLER is your 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur Champion! #rivercrestcountryclub #100texasamateur
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 23 CommentsWay to go, Emma! 👏⛳️🎊Congratulations Emma! So proud of you!!Congrats Emma. Great result. Up Louisburgh!!64 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post The four semifinalists competing to advance to the championship round of the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur have began their matches!
live scoring: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 9 Likes
- We want to thank all of our amazing volunteers who came out to help at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur!
This wouldn’t be possible without you guys
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 1 CommentsThank you! USGA Volunteers!15 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post After 2 rounds of match play, these elite 8 players will compete tomorrow in the quarterfinals.
scores from this afternoon: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 8 Likes
- The day is not over yet 🤯 The 16 winners of this morning’s matches are going back out again!
The second round of matches is underway at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur #rivercrestcountryclub #100texasamateur
Texas Golf Association is at River ... 1 CommentsWatching and cheering the women golfers on from Fair Oaks Ranch!10 Likes
- The TGA sincerely thanks the all River Crest Country Club staff and grounds crew. The 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur couldn’t happen without you and we are grateful for all your hard work.
Texas Golf Association is at River ... 3 CommentsWe couldn’t have wonderful courses without them-thanks!!At every course this is the group of men/women that make it possible for their members to enjoy the sport ...River Crest is so beautiful!26 Likes
- and just like that, match 1 is over 😱 with no. 1 seed Kenlie Barrett defeating no. 32 seed Cari Denson at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur
(8 & 7)!!
keep following along: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is ... 3 Likes
- We’re just getting started! Round 2 of the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur is underway! #rivercrestcountryclub #100texasamateur
for live scores, match pairings and more: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 1 Likes