Brandon Massey Wins Texas Cup at 5-Under-Par
FORT WORTH – Brandon Massey shot 3-under 68 in the final round to win the Legends Junior Tour’s Texas Cup Invitational at Ridglea Country Club’s North Course.
Massey, a Ridglea Country Club member, finished at 5-under-par overall and two strokes ahead of the field. Massey started the day two strokes back of the leader and got his second round going with a birdie on the par-5 first. He played up and down through the rest of the front nine, carding two birdies along with three bogeys, including the par-5 ninth where he watched two chip shots roll back to him.
Walking up to the 10th tee however, the Fort Worth native struck a 3-wood on the 385-yard par 4 and dialed in a wedge shot to six feet and made the putt for a bounce-back birdie. Four pars followed the birdie on 10 and then Massey made a birdie on the par-3 15th and another birdie on the par-5 18th to get to 5-under overall.
“That was a big bounce-back birdie on No. 10,” said Massey, “I was pretty heated with myself after making bogey on No. 9."
Playing in the penultimate group on Sunday, Massey took advantage of the par threes by making birdie on three of the four holes on the par-71 layout. This is Massey’s first win on the Legends Junior Tour and his second time playing in the Texas Cup. He finished tied for eighth in last year’s event at Mira Vista Country Club.
“It was nice playing at my home course and getting to sleep in my own bed each night,” answered Massey when asked about playing at his club. “The greens are very tricky and subtle out here. You have to pick your spots on the greens and not go past the hole.”
Austin’s Trey Bosco and Kingwood’s Damin Strydom finished in a tie for second at the Texas Cup. Bosco tied the low score on Sunday with a 3-under 68. The Baylor commit was 1-over heading to No. 9, but made three consecutive birdies on holes nine through 11.
“I just stayed aggressive today and hit the ball really well,” said Bosco after his round. “I hit two good 3-irons on Nos. 10 and 11 and made birdie putts of eight and 10 feet.”
Bosco added two more birdies on his round, including the 500-yard 18th to finish at 3-under 139 overall.
First-round leader Strydom matched his scores under par from the first round, but saw more bogeys on his card in the second round. Strydom was 1-over through seven holes, but back-to-back birdies on eight and nine got him back under par on the day at the turn. The Kingwood native bogeyed No. 10 and No. 13, but made birdie on the 280-yard 14th. Three straight pars and a bogey on No. 18 dropped him back to 3-under overall and into a tie for second.
Flower Mound’s Dawson Lewis matched the low round of 3-under on Sunday and finished tied with Granbury’s Jake Holbrook for fourth place. Lewis made four birdies to only one bogey in the final round, while Holbrook scattered five birdies and three bogeys in his round.
Austin’s Matthew Denton finished sixth at 1-over 143, while Dallas’ Shayler Dance, San Antonio’s John Keefer, League City’s Andre Jacobs, Bee Cave’s Nathan Petronzio, Prosper’s Matthew Griggs and Spanish Fort, Ala.’s Padraic Sim finished tied for seventh at 2-over 144.
This was the first year Ridglea Country Club has hosted the Texas Cup Invitational. The event spent the last four years at Mira Vista Country Club, just south of Ridglea CC’s location in Fort Worth. Ridglea’s North Course spans out to 6,477 yards with bermuda greens that have subtle breaks all throughout.
The Texas Cup is ranked by Junior Golf Scoreboard and Golfweek. Players finishing in the top half of the field will earn points towards the LJT Player of the Year standings and top finishers will earn performance stars for the American Junior Golf Association.
The Legends Junior Tour finishes up its 2017 season with the Jackie Burke Cup matches at The Cascades on Nov. 11-12. The Jackie Burke Cup features 24 players competing for the north Texas squad and the south Texas squad. Players earned their way into the matches by earning points in the Player of the Year standings. The matches will start on Saturday, Nov. 11 at 7:20 am.
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🏆 Preston Stout and Matthew Comegys are crowned co-champions of the Legends Junior Tour #LJTNorthTXClassic after posting 11-under-par 133 through 36 holes. Ryann Honea and MacKenzie Moore also took home co-champion honors with a one-stroke victory in the Girls 12-18 ... 6 Likes
- 404: Page Not Found | Mailchimp #SaveTheDate: #FunGolf Events are now open in #Houston & #SanAntonio!
Come play in our 2-person scramble at TPC San Antonio (AT&T Oaks Course) on Oct. 14 (gross & net) & Walden on Lake Conroe on Oct. 17 (gross with flights).
- Texas Golf Association Registration Event Portal :: Master Roster Registration The #Fun continues with our most sought after event, the annual #TexasShamble!
📍 Tapatio Springs Hill Country Resort
🏌️♂️ October 30: Practice Round
🏌️♂️ October 31: Round 1 (Includes Lunch)
🏆 November 1: Round 2 (Prizes/Awards/Includes lunch)
There will ... 1 Likes
- 🚨Registration for the #USWomensFourBall Qualifying closes Sept. 9th!
🏆U.S. Women’s Four-Ball Championship
⛳️Maridoe Golf Club
🗓April 24-28, 2021
Local Qualifying Sites:
Rangers Golf Club - Arlington - Sept. 23
Magnolia Creek GC - League City-Nov. 12
Apply to ...
- TGA Announces Fall Event Series for Men and Women 📢 TGA Announces Fall Series Events - a slate of new competitive tournaments for men & women with at least one new event conducted in Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and the Austin-San Antonio Hill Country area. Follow the link to learn ... 14 Likes
- Timeline Photos We have two more volunteer days coming up this fall with The Spirit Golf Association at the Houston Food Bank! Follow the links to volunteer:
Monday, September 14
Saturday, October 10
https://buff.ly/2QCnuvG 3 Likes
- Jim Brown Honored with Bob Wells Volunteerism Award We are pleased to announce longtime director & past president Jim Brown has received the Bob Wells Distinguished Service Award, the TGA’s highest honor for individuals who’ve contributed to the growth of the game through volunteerism & meritorious service. 23 CommentsRavi Shah Congratulations from the Shahs. Your service to junior golf has and will continue to leave a profound legacy..Anna Schultz Congratulations Jim!! You are very deserving of this award!Chhaya Shah Congratulations Jim. Couldn’t think of a better person who deserves this recognition.52 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jason Schultz of Allen and Prosper’s Russell Williams card a final round 6-under-par 66 to go wire-to-wire and win the #Texas4Ball by three strokes at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course. The were 26-under for the championship.
In the ... 2 CommentsMark Ellis Congratulations Russell! That little course in Crockett churns out some excellent players! 😊Clay Hughey Way to go Russell Williams. Congrats to Sparky and Kennedy too. You guys represented East Texas well.21 Likes
- Following their brilliant 12-under-par 60 in Round 1, Russell Williams and Jason Schultz card an 8-under-par 64 in Round 2 at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course to post 20-under through 36 holes and lead the field by three.
... 1 CommentsJeff Atkinson Congrats, heck of a tournament!8 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Russell Williams & Jason Schultz have known each other since competing as collegiate golfers in the ‘90s. On Friday, they teamed up to card an opening round 12-under-par 60 at the Texas Four-Ball and lead the field by two strokes.
... 16 Likes
- The Spirit Golf Association Announces Appointment of Charlie Epps, PGA, as Interim President The Spirit Golf Association announced today that long-time PGA Professional Charlie Epps will serve as interim president. Epps has served on the SGA Board of Directors since January 2020. Get the full details by clicking the link below. 5 Likes
- Teammates Faith Delagarza and Amari Smith win back to back #WomensFourBall Championship 🏆
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/womens-four-ball-championship-2020-leaderboard 4 Likes
- 🎥 Sunday at the #TexasAmateur! What a great week @bootranchtx!
A new champion has been crowned! Congratulations, @treybosco! The TGA extends its sincere appreciation to the @bootranchtx staff and membership for their efforts in making the 111th Texas Amateur ... 9 Likes