Hole-in-One Propels Harrison to Lead at Winter Classic
DALLAS – David Harrison of Trophy Club, Texas, hit a 6-iron from 176 yards on the par-3 fourth hole and when he saw it go in for his first hole-in-one, he couldn’t believe it. That shot propelled him to the top of the leaderboard at the Winter Classic, the first event of the 2018 Legends Junior Tour season. He leads by two strokes in the Boys 15-18 division.
Lubbock’s Logan Vargas carded a 2-over 74 to lead by two shots in the Boys 14 & Under division at Dallas Athletic Club’s Blue course. Houston’s Zoe Slaughter leads the Girls 12-18 division after a 3-over 75.
The Jack Nicklaus Signature Design Blue course at Dallas Athletic Club challenged the players in the tough conditions. With the temperatures hovering in the low 50’s and constant 20 mph winds with gusts up to 35, only one player was able to manage an under-par round. That belonged to Harrison at 1-under 71.
Harrison was the last tee time off #1 and started out hot with back-to-back birdies on the opening par-5 first and par-4 second. He got to the tee at the fourth, hit his 6-iron and thought it was good. He saw it go in, but he couldn’t believe it.
“I had to ask someone to make sure that it actually went in,” Harrison said. “That was my first ever hole-in-one so I just didn’t believe it.”
Harrison played steady the rest of the day, and managed to come in at 1-under 71. He sits two shots ahead Shayler Dance of Dallas. Hunter Bott and Matthew Griggs are three shots back of Harrison and in a tie for third. Jake Holbrook, Holden Wisener, Brendan Powers and Brian Boles sit a tie for fifth place heading into Sunday’s final round.
In the Boys 14 & Under division, Logan Vargas started slow, carding a bogey on the second hole, followed by a double bogey on the par-3 fourth hole. He came right back with three birdies in six holes to settle down. He had five birdies on the day.
Vargas leads by two shots over Spring’s Matthew Spaulding. Spaulding will be looking for his second victory in the Boys 14 & Under division after winning the 2017 James A. Ragan Memorial. Tyler Lee of Dallas sits in third place.
In the Girls 12-18 division, Zoe Slaughter looks to capture her first victory of 2018 and second overall. She won the 2017 Lanny Wadkins Junior Championship. She sits one shot ahead of three others. Her up and down round included three birdies against four bogeys and a double bogey. She had back-to-back birdies on the difficult par-4 fifth hole and par-4 sixth.
Delany Martin of Boerne, Kaylee Vesely of Austin, and Ellie Roth of Plano sit in a tie for second place after carding 4-over 76’s in their opening rounds. Dallas Athletic Club member, defending champion, and reigning three time LJT Girls Player of the Year, Hailey Jones sits in a tie for fifth place, three shots back of Slaughter. Jones is tied with Richardson’s Meagan Winans.
Final Round tee times are scheduled to begin at 8:00 AM off the first and 10th tees. For full first round results, click here.
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🏆 Preston Stout and Matthew Comegys are crowned co-champions of the Legends Junior Tour #LJTNorthTXClassic after posting 11-under-par 133 through 36 holes. Ryann Honea and MacKenzie Moore also took home co-champion honors with a one-stroke victory in the Girls 12-18 ... 6 Likes
- 404: Page Not Found | Mailchimp #SaveTheDate: #FunGolf Events are now open in #Houston & #SanAntonio!
Come play in our 2-person scramble at TPC San Antonio (AT&T Oaks Course) on Oct. 14 (gross & net) & Walden on Lake Conroe on Oct. 17 (gross with flights).
- Texas Golf Association Registration Event Portal :: Master Roster Registration The #Fun continues with our most sought after event, the annual #TexasShamble!
📍 Tapatio Springs Hill Country Resort
🏌️♂️ October 30: Practice Round
🏌️♂️ October 31: Round 1 (Includes Lunch)
🏆 November 1: Round 2 (Prizes/Awards/Includes lunch)
There will ... 1 Likes
- 🚨Registration for the #USWomensFourBall Qualifying closes Sept. 9th!
🏆U.S. Women’s Four-Ball Championship
⛳️Maridoe Golf Club
🗓April 24-28, 2021
Local Qualifying Sites:
Rangers Golf Club - Arlington - Sept. 23
Magnolia Creek GC - League City-Nov. 12
Apply to ...
- TGA Announces Fall Event Series for Men and Women 📢 TGA Announces Fall Series Events - a slate of new competitive tournaments for men & women with at least one new event conducted in Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and the Austin-San Antonio Hill Country area. Follow the link to learn ... 14 Likes
- Timeline Photos We have two more volunteer days coming up this fall with The Spirit Golf Association at the Houston Food Bank! Follow the links to volunteer:
Monday, September 14
Saturday, October 10
https://buff.ly/2QCnuvG 3 Likes
- Jim Brown Honored with Bob Wells Volunteerism Award We are pleased to announce longtime director & past president Jim Brown has received the Bob Wells Distinguished Service Award, the TGA’s highest honor for individuals who’ve contributed to the growth of the game through volunteerism & meritorious service. 23 CommentsRavi Shah Congratulations from the Shahs. Your service to junior golf has and will continue to leave a profound legacy..Anna Schultz Congratulations Jim!! You are very deserving of this award!Chhaya Shah Congratulations Jim. Couldn’t think of a better person who deserves this recognition.52 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jason Schultz of Allen and Prosper’s Russell Williams card a final round 6-under-par 66 to go wire-to-wire and win the #Texas4Ball by three strokes at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course. The were 26-under for the championship.
In the ... 2 CommentsMark Ellis Congratulations Russell! That little course in Crockett churns out some excellent players! 😊Clay Hughey Way to go Russell Williams. Congrats to Sparky and Kennedy too. You guys represented East Texas well.21 Likes
- Following their brilliant 12-under-par 60 in Round 1, Russell Williams and Jason Schultz card an 8-under-par 64 in Round 2 at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course to post 20-under through 36 holes and lead the field by three.
... 1 CommentsJeff Atkinson Congrats, heck of a tournament!8 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Russell Williams & Jason Schultz have known each other since competing as collegiate golfers in the ‘90s. On Friday, they teamed up to card an opening round 12-under-par 60 at the Texas Four-Ball and lead the field by two strokes.
... 16 Likes
- The Spirit Golf Association Announces Appointment of Charlie Epps, PGA, as Interim President The Spirit Golf Association announced today that long-time PGA Professional Charlie Epps will serve as interim president. Epps has served on the SGA Board of Directors since January 2020. Get the full details by clicking the link below. 5 Likes
- Teammates Faith Delagarza and Amari Smith win back to back #WomensFourBall Championship 🏆
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/womens-four-ball-championship-2020-leaderboard 4 Likes
- 🎥 Sunday at the #TexasAmateur! What a great week @bootranchtx!
A new champion has been crowned! Congratulations, @treybosco! The TGA extends its sincere appreciation to the @bootranchtx staff and membership for their efforts in making the 111th Texas Amateur ... 9 Likes