Spaulding, Olson, Kingsland Win LJT Jimmy Demaret
LAKEWAY, Texas – Spring’s Matthew Spaulding came from behind to capture his first victory in the Boys 15-18 division at the Jimmy Demaret Junior Classic. He shot even-par 72, to win by one stroke at the Hills Country Club’s Live Oak course.
Abilene’s Maddi Olson captured her first LJT victory after posting an even-par 144 tournament total in the Girls 12-18 division. Zachary Kingsland posted a second under-par round to run away with the Boys 14 & Under division for his second straight LJT victory.
Nestled in the hill country with views of Lake Travis, the Live Oak course at The Hills Country Club winds through the Lakeway neighborhoods and features narrow fairways with small, turtleback greens that challenge players. This is the first time the Live Oak course hosted a Legends Junior Tour event. The course played 6,717 yards for the Boys 15-18 division, 6,234 yards for the Boys 14 & Under division and 6,076 yards for all girls.
Spaulding, playing in the second to last grouping, played consistent golf, carding seven straight pars to open his round before making a birdie on the par-5 eighth. He made a par on the difficult par-4 ninth to go out in 1-under 35. He made bogeys on the par-4 14th and par-3 17th before making a closing birdie on the 18th to edge out two others by one shot.
Sean-Karl Dobson of Austin shot a final round even-par 72 to jump from a tie for ninth to a tie for second place. Temple’s Dallas Hankamer, one of the three first round leaders, shot a closing 3-over 75 to tie for second place also.
Casey Cull shot a 4-over 76 to finish in fourth place. Spicewood’s Hunter McDonough finished in fifth place after a 4-over 76 as well. Felix van Kleef shot the low round of the tournament with a 3-under 69 to jump into a tie for sixth place with Chance Mulligan and Advait Chutke.
Heading into Friday’s final round in the Girls 12-18 division, Olson sat one shot back of Spring’s Madison Freeman. Playing in the same group, they started on the 10th hole. Both players struggled out of the gate, both carding a double bogey within the first three holes. Freeman continued to struggle, going 6-over on her opening nine.
Olson, on the other hand, carded three birdies in her last four holes on her opening loop to shoot even-par 36. She played consistently from there, shooting a final-round, 1-over 73. Freeman came back on their back nine, shooting a 1-under 35, but couldn’t make up enough ground.
Behind Olson, Elise Parel of Kingwood finished in second place, two shots back at 2-over 146. Freeman finished in third place at 147. Chandler Rosholt finished in fourth and Denise Pan rounded out the top five.
In the Boys 14 & Under division, Kingsland was the only player to post both rounds under par with a 2-under 70 in Thursday’s first round and a 1-under 71 in Friday’s final round. He played a very consistent final round, making only two bogeys with three birdies. He had bogeys on 13 and 14, his fourth and fifth holes of the day. He followed that up with back-to-back birdies on 16 and 17 to turn in even-par. He posted one birdie to no bogeys on his back nine to win by 10 strokes.
The current LJT Boys 14 & Under Player of the Year points leader, Keaton Vo, finished tied for second place after a 3-over 75. He tied with Sebastian Moss, who carded a 6-over 78 in Friday’s final round. Carson Ezell finished in fourth place and Grant Yerger rounded out the top 5.
The Legends Junior Tour’s next event will take place May 5-6 at Brownwood Country Club for the Bluebonnet Championship.
For final results, click here.
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post All 😃’s as Round 1 of the #Texas4Ball gets underway from Horseshoe Bay Resort Apple Rock! ⏰
ℹ️ More info: https://www.txga.org/tga-texas-four-ball-texas-golf-association-2021/
🔢 Leaderboard: golfgenius.com/pages/2863285
Texas Golf Association is at AppleRock Golf Course. 11 Likes
- Texas Four-Ball Set for Aug. 27-29 Texas Four-Ball Set for Aug. 27-29
“We are extremely excited to have the opportunity to return to Horseshoe Bay Resort for this year’s Texas Four-Ball Championship.” -Chris Untiedt, TGA Tournament Director
Follow the 🔗 for more. 5 Likes
- The 2021 Texas Golf Association Amateur Championship to begin this weekend! Hear from our very own John Cochran about the #SouthAm taking place this weekend at Galveston Country Club.
ℹ️ Follow along here: https://t.co/tCvFKgk5XL
📽 via FOX 26 Houston
https://www-fox26houston-com.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/www.fox26houston.com/video/963263.amp 23 Likes
- Texas Golf Association on Twitter 🚨MIXER ALERT🚨 Join us for #HappyHour! Register solo or up to a team of six! Price includes 2hrs of #Topgolf, buffet & more! Compete for raffles & prizes. Guests 21+ enjoy a round of beer/wine on us! SPACE IS LIMITED. ... 1 Likes
- It is with deep sadness that the TGA announces the passing of John Semander. The longtime TGA volunteer and Past Director passed away on July 27. He was 89 years old.
Read More: https://bit.ly/3xiWlB0 13 CommentsThank you TGA for a beautiful tribute to such an amazing man. John was simply the BEST! He will be ...Oh man so sorry to hear. He was an incredible man!!! I’m glad that I had the privilege to work ...A good man with such a warm demeanor and servants heart. He was that rare person who could put a ...33 Likes
- TGA Par-Tee | TopGolf Dallas Come Par-Tee with the TGA for #HappyHour at #Topgolf #Dallas! Enjoy a buffet of food, drinks, snacks & desserts, plus 2 hours of 🏌️♂️! Bays will compete for #SwagBags & a #FunGolf Play Day for two! Did we mention the ... 1 Likes
- Pairings and starting times for the Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play have been released! More info 👇
⏰Starting times: https://www.txga.org/2021-texas-mid-amateur-match-play-leaderboard/
Texas Golf Association is at Trinity Forest Golf Club. 1 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Congratulations to the 93rd West Texas Amateur Champion Garrett Leek🏆
🏆Senior Champion: Mike Booker
🏆Super Senior Champion: Craig Urban
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 24 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jansen Smith of San Angelo and Garrett Leek of Brock share the lead through two rounds at the #WestTexasAm 🏜
18 holes remain at Abilene Country Club (South Course)
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - ... 6 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🪣 🪣 bucket hats are out in full force. Round 2 of the #WestTexasAm is in action.
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/west-texas-amateur-leaderboard-2021
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 7 Likes
- Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play Set for July 22-25 The Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play is set for July 22-25 pitting the top amateur golfers age 25+ against one another at Trinity Forest Golf Club, one of the most unique venues in Texas. Follow the link for more! 7 Likes
- TGA Players Box #TGAMembers Check your email inboxes for your exclusive #TexasTuesday deal, brought to you by the #TGAPlayersBox X @shortpar4. Save on men's and women's G/FORE shoes available for only $145 and 4 doz. TaylorMade balls for only $144! Want more deals? ...