Atkinson Wins North Mid-Amateur in Playoff
Atkinson Wins North Mid-Amateur in Playoff
Fort Worth – Zach Atkinson won in a playoff against Brad Gibson after the final round of the 2018 North Mid-Amateur to complete his wire-to-wire victory at Diamond Oaks Country Club on Sunday.
Colleyville’s Atkinson played level golf on Sunday, making four birdies and four bogeys. He finished at 7-under overall after posting rounds of 65-68-70. The former University of North Texas golfer picked up his first win of 2018 and his third North Mid-Amateur title, winning also in 2013 and 2015.
Joining Atkinson in the playoff was his former North Texas teammate, Brad Gibson. Gibson blitzed the front nine at Diamond Oaks with five birdies. The Lewisville native played the back nine at 1-over, equaling a final round 66 and matching Atkinson’s 7-under total.
In the playoff, Atkinson and Gibson both left themselves with good look at birdie on the par-4 17th. Atkinson, playing first, ran his attempt two feet past the hole, which left Gibson an opportunity for the win from 15 feet from the fringe of the green. His putt rolled past the hole five feet before it came to rest. Needing to make a putt to continue the playoff, Gibson hit the lip of the hole and ball stayed out. Atkinson converted his two footer and the title was his.
Rounding out the top three was Will Osborne of Fort Worth, who finished third in the championship at 6-under. Osborne was part of the winning team at the North Four-Ball at Texas Star Golf Course on February 24-25.
Addison’s Chris Wheeler and Tyler’s Aaron Hickman both shot 2-under-par, 68. Wheeler’s day was highlighted by an eagle from 131 yards on the ninth hole. His 9-iron checked to two feet in front of the hole and on the last revolution of the ball dropped in the hole. Hickman, used a stretch of three birdies in a row on holes 16 through 18 to tie Wheeler.
Lewis Stephenson from Mansfield propelled up the leaderboard in the Mid-Master recognition with a back-nine score of 29. Stephenson’s final round of 3-under, 67 eclipsed Aledo’s Wayne Wright by three. Besides the Mid-Master title, Stephenson earned an exemption into the Texas Mid-Amateur on September 14-16 at River Oaks Country Club in Houston.
Diamond Oaks Country Club was designed by Charles Akey and opened in 1961. The course has hosted numerous amateur events for the Texas Golf Association as well as the USGA. Diamond Oaks stretches out to 6,800 yards and features massive oak trees throughout the Fort Worth property.
The North Regional Series will be back in action in three weeks with the North Senior Amateur at The Lakes at Castle Hills in Lewisville. Wayne Wright will look to defend his title on April 11-12.
The Texas Golf Association would like to thank the entire professional and maintenance staff of Diamond Oaks Country Club. The course provided a fair and great test to all players.
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🏆 Preston Stout and Matthew Comegys are crowned co-champions of the Legends Junior Tour #LJTNorthTXClassic after posting 11-under-par 133 through 36 holes. Ryann Honea and MacKenzie Moore also took home co-champion honors with a one-stroke victory in the Girls 12-18 ... 6 Likes
- 404: Page Not Found | Mailchimp #SaveTheDate: #FunGolf Events are now open in #Houston & #SanAntonio!
Come play in our 2-person scramble at TPC San Antonio (AT&T Oaks Course) on Oct. 14 (gross & net) & Walden on Lake Conroe on Oct. 17 (gross with flights).
- Texas Golf Association Registration Event Portal :: Master Roster Registration The #Fun continues with our most sought after event, the annual #TexasShamble!
📍 Tapatio Springs Hill Country Resort
🏌️♂️ October 30: Practice Round
🏌️♂️ October 31: Round 1 (Includes Lunch)
🏆 November 1: Round 2 (Prizes/Awards/Includes lunch)
There will ... 1 Likes
- 🚨Registration for the #USWomensFourBall Qualifying closes Sept. 9th!
🏆U.S. Women’s Four-Ball Championship
⛳️Maridoe Golf Club
🗓April 24-28, 2021
Local Qualifying Sites:
Rangers Golf Club - Arlington - Sept. 23
Magnolia Creek GC - League City-Nov. 12
Apply to ...
- TGA Announces Fall Event Series for Men and Women 📢 TGA Announces Fall Series Events - a slate of new competitive tournaments for men & women with at least one new event conducted in Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and the Austin-San Antonio Hill Country area. Follow the link to learn ... 14 Likes
- Timeline Photos We have two more volunteer days coming up this fall with The Spirit Golf Association at the Houston Food Bank! Follow the links to volunteer:
Monday, September 14
Saturday, October 10
https://buff.ly/2QCnuvG 3 Likes
- Jim Brown Honored with Bob Wells Volunteerism Award We are pleased to announce longtime director & past president Jim Brown has received the Bob Wells Distinguished Service Award, the TGA’s highest honor for individuals who’ve contributed to the growth of the game through volunteerism & meritorious service. 23 CommentsRavi Shah Congratulations from the Shahs. Your service to junior golf has and will continue to leave a profound legacy..Anna Schultz Congratulations Jim!! You are very deserving of this award!Chhaya Shah Congratulations Jim. Couldn’t think of a better person who deserves this recognition.52 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jason Schultz of Allen and Prosper’s Russell Williams card a final round 6-under-par 66 to go wire-to-wire and win the #Texas4Ball by three strokes at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course. The were 26-under for the championship.
In the ... 2 CommentsMark Ellis Congratulations Russell! That little course in Crockett churns out some excellent players! 😊Clay Hughey Way to go Russell Williams. Congrats to Sparky and Kennedy too. You guys represented East Texas well.21 Likes
- Following their brilliant 12-under-par 60 in Round 1, Russell Williams and Jason Schultz card an 8-under-par 64 in Round 2 at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course to post 20-under through 36 holes and lead the field by three.
... 1 CommentsJeff Atkinson Congrats, heck of a tournament!8 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Russell Williams & Jason Schultz have known each other since competing as collegiate golfers in the ‘90s. On Friday, they teamed up to card an opening round 12-under-par 60 at the Texas Four-Ball and lead the field by two strokes.
... 16 Likes
- The Spirit Golf Association Announces Appointment of Charlie Epps, PGA, as Interim President The Spirit Golf Association announced today that long-time PGA Professional Charlie Epps will serve as interim president. Epps has served on the SGA Board of Directors since January 2020. Get the full details by clicking the link below. 5 Likes
- Teammates Faith Delagarza and Amari Smith win back to back #WomensFourBall Championship 🏆
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/womens-four-ball-championship-2020-leaderboard 4 Likes
- 🎥 Sunday at the #TexasAmateur! What a great week @bootranchtx!
A new champion has been crowned! Congratulations, @treybosco! The TGA extends its sincere appreciation to the @bootranchtx staff and membership for their efforts in making the 111th Texas Amateur ... 9 Likes