Atkinson Wins North Mid-Amateur in Playoff
Atkinson Wins North Mid-Amateur in Playoff
Fort Worth – Zach Atkinson won in a playoff against Brad Gibson after the final round of the 2018 North Mid-Amateur to complete his wire-to-wire victory at Diamond Oaks Country Club on Sunday.
Colleyville’s Atkinson played level golf on Sunday, making four birdies and four bogeys. He finished at 7-under overall after posting rounds of 65-68-70. The former University of North Texas golfer picked up his first win of 2018 and his third North Mid-Amateur title, winning also in 2013 and 2015.
Joining Atkinson in the playoff was his former North Texas teammate, Brad Gibson. Gibson blitzed the front nine at Diamond Oaks with five birdies. The Lewisville native played the back nine at 1-over, equaling a final round 66 and matching Atkinson’s 7-under total.
In the playoff, Atkinson and Gibson both left themselves with good look at birdie on the par-4 17th. Atkinson, playing first, ran his attempt two feet past the hole, which left Gibson an opportunity for the win from 15 feet from the fringe of the green. His putt rolled past the hole five feet before it came to rest. Needing to make a putt to continue the playoff, Gibson hit the lip of the hole and ball stayed out. Atkinson converted his two footer and the title was his.
Rounding out the top three was Will Osborne of Fort Worth, who finished third in the championship at 6-under. Osborne was part of the winning team at the North Four-Ball at Texas Star Golf Course on February 24-25.
Addison’s Chris Wheeler and Tyler’s Aaron Hickman both shot 2-under-par, 68. Wheeler’s day was highlighted by an eagle from 131 yards on the ninth hole. His 9-iron checked to two feet in front of the hole and on the last revolution of the ball dropped in the hole. Hickman, used a stretch of three birdies in a row on holes 16 through 18 to tie Wheeler.
Lewis Stephenson from Mansfield propelled up the leaderboard in the Mid-Master recognition with a back-nine score of 29. Stephenson’s final round of 3-under, 67 eclipsed Aledo’s Wayne Wright by three. Besides the Mid-Master title, Stephenson earned an exemption into the Texas Mid-Amateur on September 14-16 at River Oaks Country Club in Houston.
Diamond Oaks Country Club was designed by Charles Akey and opened in 1961. The course has hosted numerous amateur events for the Texas Golf Association as well as the USGA. Diamond Oaks stretches out to 6,800 yards and features massive oak trees throughout the Fort Worth property.
The North Regional Series will be back in action in three weeks with the North Senior Amateur at The Lakes at Castle Hills in Lewisville. Wayne Wright will look to defend his title on April 11-12.
The Texas Golf Association would like to thank the entire professional and maintenance staff of Diamond Oaks Country Club. The course provided a fair and great test to all players.
- The 2021 Texas Golf Association Amateur Championship to begin this weekend! Hear from our very own John Cochran about the #SouthAm taking place this weekend at Galveston Country Club.
ℹ️ Follow along here: https://t.co/tCvFKgk5XL
📽 via FOX 26 Houston
https://www-fox26houston-com.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/www.fox26houston.com/video/963263.amp 23 Likes
- Texas Golf Association on Twitter 🚨MIXER ALERT🚨 Join us for #HappyHour! Register solo or up to a team of six! Price includes 2hrs of #Topgolf, buffet & more! Compete for raffles & prizes. Guests 21+ enjoy a round of beer/wine on us! SPACE IS LIMITED. ... 1 Likes
- It is with deep sadness that the TGA announces the passing of John Semander. The longtime TGA volunteer and Past Director passed away on July 27. He was 89 years old.
Read More: https://bit.ly/3xiWlB0 13 CommentsThank you TGA for a beautiful tribute to such an amazing man. John was simply the BEST! He will be ...Oh man so sorry to hear. He was an incredible man!!! I’m glad that I had the privilege to work ...A good man with such a warm demeanor and servants heart. He was that rare person who could put a ...33 Likes
- TGA Par-Tee | TopGolf Dallas Come Par-Tee with the TGA for #HappyHour at #Topgolf #Dallas! Enjoy a buffet of food, drinks, snacks & desserts, plus 2 hours of 🏌️♂️! Bays will compete for #SwagBags & a #FunGolf Play Day for two! Did we mention the ... 1 Likes
- Pairings and starting times for the Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play have been released! More info 👇
⏰Starting times: https://www.txga.org/2021-texas-mid-amateur-match-play-leaderboard/
Texas Golf Association is at Trinity Forest Golf Club. 1 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Congratulations to the 93rd West Texas Amateur Champion Garrett Leek🏆
🏆Senior Champion: Mike Booker
🏆Super Senior Champion: Craig Urban
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 24 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jansen Smith of San Angelo and Garrett Leek of Brock share the lead through two rounds at the #WestTexasAm 🏜
18 holes remain at Abilene Country Club (South Course)
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - ... 6 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🪣 🪣 bucket hats are out in full force. Round 2 of the #WestTexasAm is in action.
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/west-texas-amateur-leaderboard-2021
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 7 Likes
- Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play Set for July 22-25 The Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play is set for July 22-25 pitting the top amateur golfers age 25+ against one another at Trinity Forest Golf Club, one of the most unique venues in Texas. Follow the link for more! 7 Likes
- TGA Players Box #TGAMembers Check your email inboxes for your exclusive #TexasTuesday deal, brought to you by the #TGAPlayersBox X @shortpar4. Save on men's and women's G/FORE shoes available for only $145 and 4 doz. TaylorMade balls for only $144! Want more deals? ...
- EMMA MCMYLER is your 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur Champion! #rivercrestcountryclub #100texasamateur
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 23 CommentsWay to go, Emma! 👏⛳️🎊Congratulations Emma! So proud of you!!Congrats Emma. Great result. Up Louisburgh!!64 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post The four semifinalists competing to advance to the championship round of the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur have began their matches!
live scoring: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 9 Likes