Grace Leads after Day One of Super Senior Amateur
GEORGETOWN – John Grace of Fort Worth leads a crowded leaderboard after the first round of the Texas Super Senior Amateur at White Wing Golf Club. The 2012 Texas Golf Hall of Fame inductee shot a 2-under-par 70 to take a one-stroke lead in the 54-hole championship for seniors ages 65 and older.
Gary Kirwan sits alone in second place after shooting a 1-under 71. Mickey Jones and Wayne Wright are tied for third at even-par 72; Tom Melcher rounds out the top five at 1-over 73.
A quiet but fiery competitor, Grace is as close to amateur golf royalty as you can get in Texas. In addition to his 40-plus USGA Championships pedigree, he’s won every statewide championship at least once.
Grace won the 1994 Texas Amateur at Mira Vista Country Club; he took the Texas Mid-Amateur title four years straight (1991-94), and won the inaugural Texas Super Senior in 2015. He started strong Friday with a birdie on the par-5 second hole, but gave a stroke back on the par-4 sixth hole. Then he caught fire and dropped birdies on four of his next five holes to get to 4-under after 12 holes. After the momentum wore off, he dropped two strokes over his final six holes to finish with his 70.
Gary Kirwan attributed his score to success on the greens today.
“It was a good putting round and a decent ball-striking round,” Kirwan said. “I stayed out of trouble and I finally made some putts on the back nine.”
Kirwan said the course forces you to drive the ball well to stay in contention. Other than one errant tee shot he was able to drive it well enough to stay near the top of the leaderboard. He double-bogeyed No. 7, but three birdies on the back nine took him into the clubhouse with a 71. He said he’s ready to get back out tomorrow and try to build on his first round success.
In the Legends Division for competitors ages 75 and older, Don Grider took advantage of playing on his home course. His 1-under 71 leads Mike Rice, the 2005 U.S. Senior Amateur champion, by six strokes.
Grider is the defending Legends Division champion and holds the course record of 62 at White Wing. He said being the defending champion “without a doubt” gives a little extra motivation to play well this weekend. He said he wasn’t feeling 100 percent, but that didn’t hold him back. “I’ve been under the weather,” Grider said. “And I think it really made me concentrate more.”
Grider started his round on No. 10 and made the turn at 2-under. Back-to-back bogeys on Nos. 3 and 4 brought him back to even-par, but he birdied the fifth hole to finish at 1-under. He admitted to having a little luck in saving par on No. 9 help with his score though.
“I topped it into the creek, and it bounced back out,” Grider said with a chuckle.
Both Grider and Kirwan referenced strong putting in round one and they will hope to continue that trend when round two tees off Saturday at 8 a.m. Click here for the full leaderboard and more information.
- TPC San Antonio Play Day Event Portal :: Welcome Play where the Pros play as we head south to play TPC San Antonio's AT&T Oak's Course.⠀
📍 TPC San Antonio
📆 Wed., October 14 @ 12PM
🏌️ 2-Person Scramble (Gross & Net)
🏆 Includes Golf & Prizes⠀
... 1 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🏆 Preston Stout and Matthew Comegys are crowned co-champions of the Legends Junior Tour #LJTNorthTXClassic after posting 11-under-par 133 through 36 holes. Ryann Honea and MacKenzie Moore also took home co-champion honors with a one-stroke victory in the Girls 12-18 ... 6 Likes
- 404: Page Not Found | Mailchimp #SaveTheDate: #FunGolf Events are now open in #Houston & #SanAntonio!
Come play in our 2-person scramble at TPC San Antonio (AT&T Oaks Course) on Oct. 14 (gross & net) & Walden on Lake Conroe on Oct. 17 (gross with flights).
- Texas Golf Association Registration Event Portal :: Master Roster Registration The #Fun continues with our most sought after event, the annual #TexasShamble!
📍 Tapatio Springs Hill Country Resort
🏌️♂️ October 30: Practice Round
🏌️♂️ October 31: Round 1 (Includes Lunch)
🏆 November 1: Round 2 (Prizes/Awards/Includes lunch)
There will ... 1 Likes
- 🚨Registration for the #USWomensFourBall Qualifying closes Sept. 9th!
🏆U.S. Women’s Four-Ball Championship
⛳️Maridoe Golf Club
🗓April 24-28, 2021
Local Qualifying Sites:
Rangers Golf Club - Arlington - Sept. 23
Magnolia Creek GC - League City-Nov. 12
Apply to ...
- TGA Announces Fall Event Series for Men and Women 📢 TGA Announces Fall Series Events - a slate of new competitive tournaments for men & women with at least one new event conducted in Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and the Austin-San Antonio Hill Country area. Follow the link to learn ... 14 Likes
- Timeline Photos We have two more volunteer days coming up this fall with The Spirit Golf Association at the Houston Food Bank! Follow the links to volunteer:
Monday, September 14
Saturday, October 10
https://buff.ly/2QCnuvG 3 Likes
- Jim Brown Honored with Bob Wells Volunteerism Award We are pleased to announce longtime director & past president Jim Brown has received the Bob Wells Distinguished Service Award, the TGA’s highest honor for individuals who’ve contributed to the growth of the game through volunteerism & meritorious service. 23 CommentsRavi Shah Congratulations from the Shahs. Your service to junior golf has and will continue to leave a profound legacy..Anna Schultz Congratulations Jim!! You are very deserving of this award!Chhaya Shah Congratulations Jim. Couldn’t think of a better person who deserves this recognition.52 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jason Schultz of Allen and Prosper’s Russell Williams card a final round 6-under-par 66 to go wire-to-wire and win the #Texas4Ball by three strokes at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course. The were 26-under for the championship.
In the ... 2 CommentsMark Ellis Congratulations Russell! That little course in Crockett churns out some excellent players! 😊Clay Hughey Way to go Russell Williams. Congrats to Sparky and Kennedy too. You guys represented East Texas well.21 Likes
- Following their brilliant 12-under-par 60 in Round 1, Russell Williams and Jason Schultz card an 8-under-par 64 in Round 2 at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course to post 20-under through 36 holes and lead the field by three.
... 1 CommentsJeff Atkinson Congrats, heck of a tournament!8 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Russell Williams & Jason Schultz have known each other since competing as collegiate golfers in the ‘90s. On Friday, they teamed up to card an opening round 12-under-par 60 at the Texas Four-Ball and lead the field by two strokes.
... 16 Likes
- The Spirit Golf Association Announces Appointment of Charlie Epps, PGA, as Interim President The Spirit Golf Association announced today that long-time PGA Professional Charlie Epps will serve as interim president. Epps has served on the SGA Board of Directors since January 2020. Get the full details by clicking the link below. 5 Likes
- Teammates Faith Delagarza and Amari Smith win back to back #WomensFourBall Championship 🏆
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/womens-four-ball-championship-2020-leaderboard 4 Likes