DeCordova Bend Country Club Wins Texas League Play Playoffs
DeCordova Bend Country Club Wins Texas League Play Playoffs
Horseshoe Bay, TX – De Cordova Bend Country Club came from behind to clinch the 2018 Texas League Play Playoffs over Odessa Country Club. De Cordova Bend trailed 3 points to 1 after all matches completed nine holes. The League Play Playoff victory was their 2nd in the 14 year history with the last one coming in 2008.
De Cordova Bend Country Club’s title run began with a bit of fortune when their Round of 16 opponent Dallas Athletic Club could not attend the Playoffs. The number six overall seed De Cordova Bend was granted a bye and had a matchup with Ridglea Country Club in the Quarterfinals.
That match was tied six to six after all matches completed 18 holes and a sudden death playoff was needed to determine who would advance. De Cordova Bend’s first player hit his tee shot out of bounds and they were left with one player competing against two of Ridglea’s. That player was Dustin Nelson, the Professional from De Cordova Bned, and his birdie on the par-five, tenth at the Slick Rock course secured their semi-final berth.
Playing on Horseshoe Bay Resort’s Apple Rock Course, De Cordova Bend handled their opponent Colonial Country Club with a final score of nine to three. There was redemption on the line for De Cordova Bend as they were eliminated from the Playoffs in 2017 in the semi-final round by Tierra Verde Golf Club.
In the Championship Match, Odessa Country Club got off to a fast start with three points from the front nine of an available four. However, except for the match in which De Cordova Bend got one point on the front nine all the other matches were within a 2-up lead.
Sid Vincent and John Booth lost the front nine point by being one down but earned the next two points as the pair won the 16th and 17th hole switching it from being 1 down to 1-up overall and 2-up on the back nine.
Odessa answered when Jeff Munden and Jim Bob McNeil claimed all three points. Their match concluded on the 17th hole when Munden and McNeil won the back nine 2-up.
In the match in which De Cordova Bend won their lone point on the front nine, Jeffrey Frye and Colby Ditto capture the remaining two points. Ditto and Frye’s sweep brought the Overall Score of the match to five points for De Cordova Bend and five points for Odessa.
The last match of the day were the best players on the course for both teams and De Cordova Bend’s Chase Johnson and Dustin Nelson proved that by making four birdies in their last six holes as they approached the 17th tee.
Johnson and Nelson had a 1-up lead overall and the honor on the tee on the 17th hole. All four players in the group had found the green and no one was closer than Dustin Nelson who had a 15 foot downhill putt.
Playing first was Odessa’s Brian Scherer whose 35 foot effort carried a lot of pace and struck the hole but wouldn’t drop. His next putt was conceded and it was time for Nelson to shine.
In what must have felt like an eternity to him, Nelson’s downhill putt slowly tracked to the hole and found the bottom of the club securing at very worst for De Cordova Bend, another sudden death playoff.
Blake Parks had a birdie putt for Odessa but when putt didn’t break as much as he had thought, De Cordova Bend Country Club had won the overall match as well and were 2018 Texas League Play Playoff Champions.
De Cordova Bend Country Club was captained by both Chase Johnson and Kevin Grimes throughout the regular season as well as the Playoffs. For De Cordova Bend and Grimes, this was their second Texas League Play Playoff Victory.
The Texas Golf Association would like to thank everyone at Horseshoe Bay Resort for their outside staff that made the event a true success. The event featured two golf courses and multiple tees which made it a challenge for everyone but the hard working staff performed perfectly to execute the tournament. For complete results from the Texas League Play Playoffs, click here
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🏆 Preston Stout and Matthew Comegys are crowned co-champions of the Legends Junior Tour #LJTNorthTXClassic after posting 11-under-par 133 through 36 holes. Ryann Honea and MacKenzie Moore also took home co-champion honors with a one-stroke victory in the Girls 12-18 ... 6 Likes
- 404: Page Not Found | Mailchimp #SaveTheDate: #FunGolf Events are now open in #Houston & #SanAntonio!
Come play in our 2-person scramble at TPC San Antonio (AT&T Oaks Course) on Oct. 14 (gross & net) & Walden on Lake Conroe on Oct. 17 (gross with flights).
- Texas Golf Association Registration Event Portal :: Master Roster Registration The #Fun continues with our most sought after event, the annual #TexasShamble!
📍 Tapatio Springs Hill Country Resort
🏌️♂️ October 30: Practice Round
🏌️♂️ October 31: Round 1 (Includes Lunch)
🏆 November 1: Round 2 (Prizes/Awards/Includes lunch)
There will ... 1 Likes
- 🚨Registration for the #USWomensFourBall Qualifying closes Sept. 9th!
🏆U.S. Women’s Four-Ball Championship
⛳️Maridoe Golf Club
🗓April 24-28, 2021
Local Qualifying Sites:
Rangers Golf Club - Arlington - Sept. 23
Magnolia Creek GC - League City-Nov. 12
Apply to ...
- TGA Announces Fall Event Series for Men and Women 📢 TGA Announces Fall Series Events - a slate of new competitive tournaments for men & women with at least one new event conducted in Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and the Austin-San Antonio Hill Country area. Follow the link to learn ... 14 Likes
- Timeline Photos We have two more volunteer days coming up this fall with The Spirit Golf Association at the Houston Food Bank! Follow the links to volunteer:
Monday, September 14
Saturday, October 10
https://buff.ly/2QCnuvG 3 Likes
- Jim Brown Honored with Bob Wells Volunteerism Award We are pleased to announce longtime director & past president Jim Brown has received the Bob Wells Distinguished Service Award, the TGA’s highest honor for individuals who’ve contributed to the growth of the game through volunteerism & meritorious service. 23 CommentsRavi Shah Congratulations from the Shahs. Your service to junior golf has and will continue to leave a profound legacy..Anna Schultz Congratulations Jim!! You are very deserving of this award!Chhaya Shah Congratulations Jim. Couldn’t think of a better person who deserves this recognition.52 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jason Schultz of Allen and Prosper’s Russell Williams card a final round 6-under-par 66 to go wire-to-wire and win the #Texas4Ball by three strokes at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course. The were 26-under for the championship.
In the ... 2 CommentsMark Ellis Congratulations Russell! That little course in Crockett churns out some excellent players! 😊Clay Hughey Way to go Russell Williams. Congrats to Sparky and Kennedy too. You guys represented East Texas well.21 Likes
- Following their brilliant 12-under-par 60 in Round 1, Russell Williams and Jason Schultz card an 8-under-par 64 in Round 2 at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course to post 20-under through 36 holes and lead the field by three.
... 1 CommentsJeff Atkinson Congrats, heck of a tournament!8 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Russell Williams & Jason Schultz have known each other since competing as collegiate golfers in the ‘90s. On Friday, they teamed up to card an opening round 12-under-par 60 at the Texas Four-Ball and lead the field by two strokes.
... 16 Likes
- The Spirit Golf Association Announces Appointment of Charlie Epps, PGA, as Interim President The Spirit Golf Association announced today that long-time PGA Professional Charlie Epps will serve as interim president. Epps has served on the SGA Board of Directors since January 2020. Get the full details by clicking the link below. 5 Likes
- Teammates Faith Delagarza and Amari Smith win back to back #WomensFourBall Championship 🏆
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/womens-four-ball-championship-2020-leaderboard 4 Likes
- 🎥 Sunday at the #TexasAmateur! What a great week @bootranchtx!
A new champion has been crowned! Congratulations, @treybosco! The TGA extends its sincere appreciation to the @bootranchtx staff and membership for their efforts in making the 111th Texas Amateur ... 9 Likes