Moll Leads 109th Texas Amateur at Halfway Point
TRINITY – William Moll came into the 109th Texas Amateur with relatively modest expectations. The Memorial High School senior from Houston said he hoped to get in four good rounds and maybe score a top-20 finish. After 36 holes, he’s in position to do a heck of a lot better than that.
With his second consecutive 3-under-par 69 on Friday at Whispering Pines Golf Club, Moll finds himself in the lead of the oldest and most prestigious championship in Texas. His 6-under 138 total gives him a one-shot advantage over a pair of Texas A&M teammates, junior Chandler Phillips from Huntsville and sophomore Reese Ramsey from Austin.
(For complete scores, click here.)
Moll racked up seven birdies in his second round – including three in a row on Holes 12-14 – thanks to a hot putter and deft short game. He had nine one-putts on the day and added a chip-in for birdie for good measure.
“I didn’t hit it too good, but I had 25 putts,” said Moll, who won the 2017 Jones Cup Junior Invitational last December. “I was chipping and putting really good. I had a bunch of good up-and-downs and one-putts for birdie and par.”
Moll, who has verbally committed to Vanderbilt, suffered a bogey on the par-5 17th hole when he nearly lost his ball and pushed a 3-wood into the tall fescue grass right of the green. He bounced back right away, however, by draining a 35-footer for birdie on the treacherous par-4 18th hole.
“It feels great,” Moll said about his position atop the leaderboard. “Tomorrow, though, I probably won’t think about it and treat it like a regular round of golf.”
He’ll be paired together with Phillips and Reece, who are tied for second place at 5-under 139. Phillips, who holds the Aggies’ record for career victories with six college wins, shot 3-under 69 in the second round. He called it a “boring round of golf.” Apparently his version of boring is a bogey-free, three-birdie trip around the No. 1-ranked course in the state.
“Everything was mediocre, but I don’t care. I like boring golf,” said Phillips, who counts the 2018 NCAA Regional Championship at Traditions Club as his biggest collegiate victory to date. “It was a pretty solid day; I just couldn’t read the greens today to save my life.”
Phillips kept his round together with an all-world par on the sixth hole, which was his 15th of the day. He pulled his 2-iron left off the tee, which led to a brief ball search in the trees and high grass. When it looked like all he had available was a punch-out back to the fairway, Phillips instead rifled a 7-iron from 191 yards onto the green. He two-putted from 35 feet to walk away with par.
“I had a flyer lie out of there,” he said with a smile. “I’m an idiot. I am an idiot, but I look like a hero on that hole. I’ll take it.”
Reese, for his part, shot out of the gates like a rocket for the second straight day. He was 4-under through six holes in Thursday’s first round when he posted 69. On Friday, he upped the ante and started birdie-birdie-eagle. He finished with a 2-under 70 to grab a share of second place.
“I started off and hit an iron shot on my first hole to 2 feet,” said Ramsey, who started his round on the 10th hole. “Then on my second hole, I hit it to about 3 feet. Then I hit a 5-iron on Hole 12, the par-5, to about a foot. So I had about 5 feet of putts on my first three holes. All kick-ins. A good way to start, I guess.”
Trip Carter from Dallas and San Antonio’s Levi Valadez, who was a runner-up in last summer’s 108th Texas Amateur, are tied for fourth place at 3-under 141. Carter rolled in three birdies in the second round and fired a 2-under 70. Valadez also made three birdies Friday. He posted a 1-under 71.
Tied for sixth place at 2-under 142 are Kyle Hogan from Cypress, Wes Artec from Kingwood and Pierceson Coody from Plano. Mitchell Meissner from San Antonio holds ninth place alone at 1-under 143. Four players are tied for 10th place, including Mitchell’s brother McClure Meissner.
Overnight leaders Pryce Beshoory from Pearland and Angelo Leyvani from San Antonio both fell back a bit on Friday. Beshoory, a junior at the University of Houston, shot 77. He’s tied for 14th place. Leyvani, a senior at Stephen F. Austin, posted a 79. He’s tied for 22nd place.
Fifty-five players made the 36-hole cut at 8-over 152 or better.
The third round of the 109th Texas Amateur starts Saturday at 8 a.m. For more information, click here.
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post All 😃’s as Round 1 of the #Texas4Ball gets underway from Horseshoe Bay Resort Apple Rock! ⏰
ℹ️ More info: https://www.txga.org/tga-texas-four-ball-texas-golf-association-2021/
🔢 Leaderboard: golfgenius.com/pages/2863285
Texas Golf Association is at AppleRock Golf Course. 10 Likes
- Texas Four-Ball Set for Aug. 27-29 Texas Four-Ball Set for Aug. 27-29
“We are extremely excited to have the opportunity to return to Horseshoe Bay Resort for this year’s Texas Four-Ball Championship.” -Chris Untiedt, TGA Tournament Director
Follow the 🔗 for more. 5 Likes
- The 2021 Texas Golf Association Amateur Championship to begin this weekend! Hear from our very own John Cochran about the #SouthAm taking place this weekend at Galveston Country Club.
ℹ️ Follow along here: https://t.co/tCvFKgk5XL
📽 via FOX 26 Houston
https://www-fox26houston-com.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/www.fox26houston.com/video/963263.amp 23 Likes
- Texas Golf Association on Twitter 🚨MIXER ALERT🚨 Join us for #HappyHour! Register solo or up to a team of six! Price includes 2hrs of #Topgolf, buffet & more! Compete for raffles & prizes. Guests 21+ enjoy a round of beer/wine on us! SPACE IS LIMITED. ... 1 Likes
- It is with deep sadness that the TGA announces the passing of John Semander. The longtime TGA volunteer and Past Director passed away on July 27. He was 89 years old.
Read More: https://bit.ly/3xiWlB0 13 CommentsThank you TGA for a beautiful tribute to such an amazing man. John was simply the BEST! He will be ...Oh man so sorry to hear. He was an incredible man!!! I’m glad that I had the privilege to work ...A good man with such a warm demeanor and servants heart. He was that rare person who could put a ...33 Likes
- TGA Par-Tee | TopGolf Dallas Come Par-Tee with the TGA for #HappyHour at #Topgolf #Dallas! Enjoy a buffet of food, drinks, snacks & desserts, plus 2 hours of 🏌️♂️! Bays will compete for #SwagBags & a #FunGolf Play Day for two! Did we mention the ... 1 Likes
- Pairings and starting times for the Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play have been released! More info 👇
⏰Starting times: https://www.txga.org/2021-texas-mid-amateur-match-play-leaderboard/
Texas Golf Association is at Trinity Forest Golf Club. 1 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Congratulations to the 93rd West Texas Amateur Champion Garrett Leek🏆
🏆Senior Champion: Mike Booker
🏆Super Senior Champion: Craig Urban
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 24 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jansen Smith of San Angelo and Garrett Leek of Brock share the lead through two rounds at the #WestTexasAm 🏜
18 holes remain at Abilene Country Club (South Course)
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - ... 6 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🪣 🪣 bucket hats are out in full force. Round 2 of the #WestTexasAm is in action.
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/west-texas-amateur-leaderboard-2021
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 7 Likes
- Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play Set for July 22-25 The Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play is set for July 22-25 pitting the top amateur golfers age 25+ against one another at Trinity Forest Golf Club, one of the most unique venues in Texas. Follow the link for more! 7 Likes
- TGA Players Box #TGAMembers Check your email inboxes for your exclusive #TexasTuesday deal, brought to you by the #TGAPlayersBox X @shortpar4. Save on men's and women's G/FORE shoes available for only $145 and 4 doz. TaylorMade balls for only $144! Want more deals? ...