Hanna Alberto Leads Women's Stroke Play after 36 Holes
LEAGUE CITY – Hanna Alberto of Kingwood leads the 2018 Women’s Stroke Play Championship at 5-under-par 139 after a long, hot day at Magnolia Creek Golf Club.
(Click here for scoring.)
Due to severe weather conditions, the first round that was scheduled to be played on Thursday was postponed. Instead, the 55-player field endured a 36-hole marathon on Friday for Rounds 1 and 2.
With a heat index reaching 107 degrees, Alberto proved to have stamina after firing a bogey-free 4-under second round.
“I was speeding up a lot because it was hot,” said Alberto, the Sam Houston State junior, who was one of three co-champions in the 2017 edition of the Women’s Stroke Play Championship. “Keeping a good, fast pace helped me out a lot.”
Macy Holliday of Dallas, the leader after Round 1, rallied on her back nine to get herself within one shot of Alberto. After starting out 3-over after 5 holes, she was able to switch gears and finish her round at 1-under. Katy’s Madison Luitwieler holds third place after rounds of 70-72 on the wind-blown, links-style course. The 2-under 142 total has her just three shots off the lead.
Also in contention through 36 holes in Hailee Cooper, the incoming University of Texas freshman who shared co-champion honors with Alberto in this championship last year sits at even-par 144 after rounds of 71-73. Cooper is five shots off the lead, but she has the winning pedigree to mount a final round charge. Back in 2016, Cooper teamed with current Texas sophomore Kaitlyn Papp to win the U.S. Women’s Four-Ball Championship.
Mission’s Stephanie Blount leads the race for Low Mid-Amateur honors through 36 holes at 5-over 149.
After the morning’s first round, Holliday led with a 3-under 69. She carded four birdies, three of which were on her back nine.
“In the practice round I thought that the back nine was a little bit easier,” Holliday said. “So after the first nine was done, I knew that the back nine was going to be an easier set of holes.”
The Ole Miss freshman chipped in for birdie on the par-4 15thhole, and followed that up with another birdie on the 18thhole to turn in the low round of the morning.
Luitwieler and Kendall Wisenbaker of Spring were one shot behind Holliday at 2-under par after the morning session concluded.
Magnolia Creek Golf Club is a 27-hole links-style course. The three sets of nine-holes were strongly influenced by St. Andrews, North Berwick, and Royal County Down and capture the best of the British Isles. With spacious fairways, countless pot bunkers, wind that always seems to blow, and a world-class, 22-acre practice facility Magnolia Creek is an ideal spot to host a championship.
The final round of the Women’s Stroke Play Championship will start tomorrow at 8 a.m. For more information, click here.
- TPC San Antonio Play Day Event Portal :: Welcome Play where the Pros play as we head south to play TPC San Antonio's AT&T Oak's Course.⠀
📍 TPC San Antonio
📆 Wed., October 14 @ 12PM
🏌️ 2-Person Scramble (Gross & Net)
🏆 Includes Golf & Prizes⠀
... 1 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🏆 Preston Stout and Matthew Comegys are crowned co-champions of the Legends Junior Tour #LJTNorthTXClassic after posting 11-under-par 133 through 36 holes. Ryann Honea and MacKenzie Moore also took home co-champion honors with a one-stroke victory in the Girls 12-18 ... 6 Likes
- 404: Page Not Found | Mailchimp #SaveTheDate: #FunGolf Events are now open in #Houston & #SanAntonio!
Come play in our 2-person scramble at TPC San Antonio (AT&T Oaks Course) on Oct. 14 (gross & net) & Walden on Lake Conroe on Oct. 17 (gross with flights).
- Texas Golf Association Registration Event Portal :: Master Roster Registration The #Fun continues with our most sought after event, the annual #TexasShamble!
📍 Tapatio Springs Hill Country Resort
🏌️♂️ October 30: Practice Round
🏌️♂️ October 31: Round 1 (Includes Lunch)
🏆 November 1: Round 2 (Prizes/Awards/Includes lunch)
There will ... 1 Likes
- 🚨Registration for the #USWomensFourBall Qualifying closes Sept. 9th!
🏆U.S. Women’s Four-Ball Championship
⛳️Maridoe Golf Club
🗓April 24-28, 2021
Local Qualifying Sites:
Rangers Golf Club - Arlington - Sept. 23
Magnolia Creek GC - League City-Nov. 12
Apply to ...
- TGA Announces Fall Event Series for Men and Women 📢 TGA Announces Fall Series Events - a slate of new competitive tournaments for men & women with at least one new event conducted in Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and the Austin-San Antonio Hill Country area. Follow the link to learn ... 14 Likes
- Timeline Photos We have two more volunteer days coming up this fall with The Spirit Golf Association at the Houston Food Bank! Follow the links to volunteer:
Monday, September 14
Saturday, October 10
https://buff.ly/2QCnuvG 3 Likes
- Jim Brown Honored with Bob Wells Volunteerism Award We are pleased to announce longtime director & past president Jim Brown has received the Bob Wells Distinguished Service Award, the TGA’s highest honor for individuals who’ve contributed to the growth of the game through volunteerism & meritorious service. 23 CommentsRavi Shah Congratulations from the Shahs. Your service to junior golf has and will continue to leave a profound legacy..Anna Schultz Congratulations Jim!! You are very deserving of this award!Chhaya Shah Congratulations Jim. Couldn’t think of a better person who deserves this recognition.52 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jason Schultz of Allen and Prosper’s Russell Williams card a final round 6-under-par 66 to go wire-to-wire and win the #Texas4Ball by three strokes at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course. The were 26-under for the championship.
In the ... 2 CommentsMark Ellis Congratulations Russell! That little course in Crockett churns out some excellent players! 😊Clay Hughey Way to go Russell Williams. Congrats to Sparky and Kennedy too. You guys represented East Texas well.21 Likes
- Following their brilliant 12-under-par 60 in Round 1, Russell Williams and Jason Schultz card an 8-under-par 64 in Round 2 at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course to post 20-under through 36 holes and lead the field by three.
... 1 CommentsJeff Atkinson Congrats, heck of a tournament!8 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Russell Williams & Jason Schultz have known each other since competing as collegiate golfers in the ‘90s. On Friday, they teamed up to card an opening round 12-under-par 60 at the Texas Four-Ball and lead the field by two strokes.
... 16 Likes
- The Spirit Golf Association Announces Appointment of Charlie Epps, PGA, as Interim President The Spirit Golf Association announced today that long-time PGA Professional Charlie Epps will serve as interim president. Epps has served on the SGA Board of Directors since January 2020. Get the full details by clicking the link below. 5 Likes
- Teammates Faith Delagarza and Amari Smith win back to back #WomensFourBall Championship 🏆
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/womens-four-ball-championship-2020-leaderboard 4 Likes