Macy Holliday Wins Women's Stroke Play in Play-Off
LEAGUE CITY – Despite feeling light-headed on the putt she needed to make in order to secure her spot in a play-off, Macy Holliday of Dallas was victorious at the 2018 Women’s Stroke Play Championship at Magnolia Creek Golf Club.
(Click here for scoring.)
Holliday’s birdie putt on 18 sent her into a 2-hole play-off with Kingwood’s Hanna Alberto and Madison Luitwieler of Katy.
“It was all nerves standing over my putt,” said the Ole Miss sophomore. “I felt like I couldn’t even see the ground, but I knew I had made it this far and that I really wanted to be in contention to win this championship.”
Holliday, Alberto, and Luitwieler each held the lead at different points throughout the final round.
All three players continued to show poise as they all made birdies on their first play-off hole, the par-5 9th of the England course. But the tournament was won on the second play-off hole, hole-one of England, when Holliday was the only player to hit the green.
Alberto, who was honored as the Southland Conference Women’s Golfer of the Year, hit an impressive bunker shot giving herself a solid opportunity to make par. University of Texas senior Luitwieler, who was just short of the green on her approach shot, barely missed her chip shot for birdie, ensuring a tap-in par.
Holliday took a deep breath and drained her 10-foot birdie putt to become the 2018 champion.
“Coming off my freshman year it wasn’t the freshman year that I wanted and I came into this summer thinking that summer golf could be special for me,” said the four-time TAPPS 5A All-State selection.
This elite win may be just what Holliday needed in order to kick-start her special summer.
The champion in the first flight was Kingwood’s Marybeth Bellnap who shot a final round 77 to finish the tournament with a 19-over-par total.
Connor Howard of Hallsville won the second flight in her debut TGA Major Championship. She shot a final round 77 to finish with a tournament total of 33-over-par.
Melissa Loh of Dallas won Low Mid-Amateur honors after a final round 4-over-par to finish at a 12-over 228 tournament total.
Magnolia Creek Golf Club is a 27-hole links-style course. The three sets of nine-holes were strongly influenced by St. Andrews, North Berwick, and Royal County Down and capture the best of the British Isles. With spacious fairways, countless pot bunkers, wind that always seems to blow, and a world-class, 22-acre practice facility Magnolia Creek is an ideal spot to host a championship.
The Texas Golf Association extends its sincere appreciation to Magnolia Creek Golf Club, the welcoming membership, and hard-working staff, as well as our volunteers, for all their dedication and efforts in making the 2018 Women’s Stroke Play a memorable event.
For more information on this year’s championship, including complete scoring, click here.
- TPC San Antonio Play Day Event Portal :: Welcome Play where the Pros play as we head south to play TPC San Antonio's AT&T Oak's Course.⠀
📍 TPC San Antonio
📆 Wed., October 14 @ 12PM
🏌️ 2-Person Scramble (Gross & Net)
🏆 Includes Golf & Prizes⠀
... 1 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🏆 Preston Stout and Matthew Comegys are crowned co-champions of the Legends Junior Tour #LJTNorthTXClassic after posting 11-under-par 133 through 36 holes. Ryann Honea and MacKenzie Moore also took home co-champion honors with a one-stroke victory in the Girls 12-18 ... 6 Likes
- 404: Page Not Found | Mailchimp #SaveTheDate: #FunGolf Events are now open in #Houston & #SanAntonio!
Come play in our 2-person scramble at TPC San Antonio (AT&T Oaks Course) on Oct. 14 (gross & net) & Walden on Lake Conroe on Oct. 17 (gross with flights).
- Texas Golf Association Registration Event Portal :: Master Roster Registration The #Fun continues with our most sought after event, the annual #TexasShamble!
📍 Tapatio Springs Hill Country Resort
🏌️♂️ October 30: Practice Round
🏌️♂️ October 31: Round 1 (Includes Lunch)
🏆 November 1: Round 2 (Prizes/Awards/Includes lunch)
There will ... 1 Likes
- 🚨Registration for the #USWomensFourBall Qualifying closes Sept. 9th!
🏆U.S. Women’s Four-Ball Championship
⛳️Maridoe Golf Club
🗓April 24-28, 2021
Local Qualifying Sites:
Rangers Golf Club - Arlington - Sept. 23
Magnolia Creek GC - League City-Nov. 12
Apply to ...
- TGA Announces Fall Event Series for Men and Women 📢 TGA Announces Fall Series Events - a slate of new competitive tournaments for men & women with at least one new event conducted in Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and the Austin-San Antonio Hill Country area. Follow the link to learn ... 14 Likes
- Timeline Photos We have two more volunteer days coming up this fall with The Spirit Golf Association at the Houston Food Bank! Follow the links to volunteer:
Monday, September 14
Saturday, October 10
https://buff.ly/2QCnuvG 3 Likes
- Jim Brown Honored with Bob Wells Volunteerism Award We are pleased to announce longtime director & past president Jim Brown has received the Bob Wells Distinguished Service Award, the TGA’s highest honor for individuals who’ve contributed to the growth of the game through volunteerism & meritorious service. 23 CommentsRavi Shah Congratulations from the Shahs. Your service to junior golf has and will continue to leave a profound legacy..Anna Schultz Congratulations Jim!! You are very deserving of this award!Chhaya Shah Congratulations Jim. Couldn’t think of a better person who deserves this recognition.52 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jason Schultz of Allen and Prosper’s Russell Williams card a final round 6-under-par 66 to go wire-to-wire and win the #Texas4Ball by three strokes at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course. The were 26-under for the championship.
In the ... 2 CommentsMark Ellis Congratulations Russell! That little course in Crockett churns out some excellent players! 😊Clay Hughey Way to go Russell Williams. Congrats to Sparky and Kennedy too. You guys represented East Texas well.21 Likes
- Following their brilliant 12-under-par 60 in Round 1, Russell Williams and Jason Schultz card an 8-under-par 64 in Round 2 at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course to post 20-under through 36 holes and lead the field by three.
... 1 CommentsJeff Atkinson Congrats, heck of a tournament!8 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Russell Williams & Jason Schultz have known each other since competing as collegiate golfers in the ‘90s. On Friday, they teamed up to card an opening round 12-under-par 60 at the Texas Four-Ball and lead the field by two strokes.
... 16 Likes
- The Spirit Golf Association Announces Appointment of Charlie Epps, PGA, as Interim President The Spirit Golf Association announced today that long-time PGA Professional Charlie Epps will serve as interim president. Epps has served on the SGA Board of Directors since January 2020. Get the full details by clicking the link below. 5 Likes
- Teammates Faith Delagarza and Amari Smith win back to back #WomensFourBall Championship 🏆
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/womens-four-ball-championship-2020-leaderboard 4 Likes