Browns Win Father-Son Back-to-Back
FRISCO – Cameron and Dean Brown knew it would take a couple of low scores to defend their title in the final round of the Father-Son at The Westin Stonebriar Hotel & Golf Club Fazio course. So Cameron went ahead and shot 68, leading the duo to a combined score total of 2-over 146 on Sunday, which tied for the low-combined score of the day.
(Click here for scores.)
The father-son team who won this championship last year and finished runner-up in 2016 not only knows what it takes to win, but they also know how to have fun and enjoy each other’s company.
“I have really enjoyed being able to play with my son these past few years and letting him carry me a little bit,” said Dean.
“This tournament is a lot of fun and I’ve been looking forward to it since school let out,” said Cameron. “I love playing with my dad.”
Consistent golf and grit from the two Browns proved successful in the final round of the Texas Father-Son. Cameron had three birdies and an eagle in his 4-under round.
There was a two-way tie for first in the Presidents Flight. Steve and Scott Gill had four birdies which led them to a 3-under 69 and a 4-under tournament total. Travis and Johnny Ola also put together four birdies finishing at 3-under for the day and 4-under overall. Both teams shot the same exact score all three days.
Jeff and Walker White were able to secure their victory in the Hogan Flight with a final round net 7-under 65. Their consistent play led them to a tournament total net 24-under-par which placed them three strokes ahead of Randy Mattingley and Trey Rowe who finished at a net 21-under-par. Garon and Chris Goodspeed posted an impressive net 10-under 62 in the final round to launch themselves up the leaderboard to a net 20-under par third-place finish.
The Nelson Flight was won by Derek and Eddie Bell who held onto their lead by shooting a final round net 5-under 67 to finish at a net 25-under total. Clay and Connor Keene gave it a run but came up one stroke short after a final round 8-under 64.
Mike and Chip Block fought back to win the Crenshaw Flight after a final round net 8-under. Michael and Mike Dejacomo shot up the leaderboard after firing a final round net 12-under-par. The Dejacomos tied for second with Adam and Andre Villarrial at a net 22-under par total.
Trevor Baugh who played in the Nelson Flight had an albatross (double-eagle) on the par 5-hole number 12. He dunked a 5-iron from 245 yards out. It was his first time ever making an albatross.
The Championship Division consists of the low 23 teams after 36 holes. These teams played combined score (individual stroke play using both players’ scores) in the final round. The three-day total is the team's score for the championship.
The teams that did not make the 36-hole cut in the Championship Flight competed in the Presidents Flight and played another round of four-ball stroke play. The format for all other flights is 54-hole net four-ball stroke play.
The Westin Stonebriar Hotel & Golf Club Fazio course is hosting the Texas Father-Son for the second time in the tournament’s 38-year history. The course, which is located on-site of The Westin Stonebriar Hotel, was designed by Tom Fazio and showcases dramatic landforms, subtly contoured greens and is bordered by native grass and masterful bunkering.
The Texas Golf Association extends its sincere appreciation to The Westin Stonebriar Hotel & Golf Club, the welcoming membership, and hard-working staff, as well as our volunteers, for all their dedication and efforts in making the 2018 Texas Father-Son a memorable event.
For more information on this year’s Father-Son, including complete scoring click here.
- The 2021 Texas Golf Association Amateur Championship to begin this weekend! Hear from our very own John Cochran about the #SouthAm taking place this weekend at Galveston Country Club.
ℹ️ Follow along here: https://t.co/tCvFKgk5XL
📽 via FOX 26 Houston
https://www-fox26houston-com.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/www.fox26houston.com/video/963263.amp 23 Likes
- Texas Golf Association on Twitter 🚨MIXER ALERT🚨 Join us for #HappyHour! Register solo or up to a team of six! Price includes 2hrs of #Topgolf, buffet & more! Compete for raffles & prizes. Guests 21+ enjoy a round of beer/wine on us! SPACE IS LIMITED. ... 1 Likes
- It is with deep sadness that the TGA announces the passing of John Semander. The longtime TGA volunteer and Past Director passed away on July 27. He was 89 years old.
Read More: https://bit.ly/3xiWlB0 13 CommentsThank you TGA for a beautiful tribute to such an amazing man. John was simply the BEST! He will be ...Oh man so sorry to hear. He was an incredible man!!! I’m glad that I had the privilege to work ...A good man with such a warm demeanor and servants heart. He was that rare person who could put a ...33 Likes
- TGA Par-Tee | TopGolf Dallas Come Par-Tee with the TGA for #HappyHour at #Topgolf #Dallas! Enjoy a buffet of food, drinks, snacks & desserts, plus 2 hours of 🏌️♂️! Bays will compete for #SwagBags & a #FunGolf Play Day for two! Did we mention the ... 1 Likes
- Pairings and starting times for the Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play have been released! More info 👇
⏰Starting times: https://www.txga.org/2021-texas-mid-amateur-match-play-leaderboard/
Texas Golf Association is at Trinity Forest Golf Club. 1 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Congratulations to the 93rd West Texas Amateur Champion Garrett Leek🏆
🏆Senior Champion: Mike Booker
🏆Super Senior Champion: Craig Urban
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 24 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jansen Smith of San Angelo and Garrett Leek of Brock share the lead through two rounds at the #WestTexasAm 🏜
18 holes remain at Abilene Country Club (South Course)
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - ... 6 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🪣 🪣 bucket hats are out in full force. Round 2 of the #WestTexasAm is in action.
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/west-texas-amateur-leaderboard-2021
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 7 Likes
- Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play Set for July 22-25 The Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play is set for July 22-25 pitting the top amateur golfers age 25+ against one another at Trinity Forest Golf Club, one of the most unique venues in Texas. Follow the link for more! 7 Likes
- TGA Players Box #TGAMembers Check your email inboxes for your exclusive #TexasTuesday deal, brought to you by the #TGAPlayersBox X @shortpar4. Save on men's and women's G/FORE shoes available for only $145 and 4 doz. TaylorMade balls for only $144! Want more deals? ...
- EMMA MCMYLER is your 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur Champion! #rivercrestcountryclub #100texasamateur
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 23 CommentsWay to go, Emma! 👏⛳️🎊Congratulations Emma! So proud of you!!Congrats Emma. Great result. Up Louisburgh!!64 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post The four semifinalists competing to advance to the championship round of the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur have began their matches!
live scoring: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 9 Likes
- We want to thank all of our amazing volunteers who came out to help at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur!
This wouldn’t be possible without you guys
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 1 CommentsThank you! USGA Volunteers!14 Likes