Browns Win Father-Son Back-to-Back
FRISCO – Cameron and Dean Brown knew it would take a couple of low scores to defend their title in the final round of the Father-Son at The Westin Stonebriar Hotel & Golf Club Fazio course. So Cameron went ahead and shot 68, leading the duo to a combined score total of 2-over 146 on Sunday, which tied for the low-combined score of the day.
(Click here for scores.)
The father-son team who won this championship last year and finished runner-up in 2016 not only knows what it takes to win, but they also know how to have fun and enjoy each other’s company.
“I have really enjoyed being able to play with my son these past few years and letting him carry me a little bit,” said Dean.
“This tournament is a lot of fun and I’ve been looking forward to it since school let out,” said Cameron. “I love playing with my dad.”
Consistent golf and grit from the two Browns proved successful in the final round of the Texas Father-Son. Cameron had three birdies and an eagle in his 4-under round.
There was a two-way tie for first in the Presidents Flight. Steve and Scott Gill had four birdies which led them to a 3-under 69 and a 4-under tournament total. Travis and Johnny Ola also put together four birdies finishing at 3-under for the day and 4-under overall. Both teams shot the same exact score all three days.
Jeff and Walker White were able to secure their victory in the Hogan Flight with a final round net 7-under 65. Their consistent play led them to a tournament total net 24-under-par which placed them three strokes ahead of Randy Mattingley and Trey Rowe who finished at a net 21-under-par. Garon and Chris Goodspeed posted an impressive net 10-under 62 in the final round to launch themselves up the leaderboard to a net 20-under par third-place finish.
The Nelson Flight was won by Derek and Eddie Bell who held onto their lead by shooting a final round net 5-under 67 to finish at a net 25-under total. Clay and Connor Keene gave it a run but came up one stroke short after a final round 8-under 64.
Mike and Chip Block fought back to win the Crenshaw Flight after a final round net 8-under. Michael and Mike Dejacomo shot up the leaderboard after firing a final round net 12-under-par. The Dejacomos tied for second with Adam and Andre Villarrial at a net 22-under par total.
Trevor Baugh who played in the Nelson Flight had an albatross (double-eagle) on the par 5-hole number 12. He dunked a 5-iron from 245 yards out. It was his first time ever making an albatross.
The Championship Division consists of the low 23 teams after 36 holes. These teams played combined score (individual stroke play using both players’ scores) in the final round. The three-day total is the team's score for the championship.
The teams that did not make the 36-hole cut in the Championship Flight competed in the Presidents Flight and played another round of four-ball stroke play. The format for all other flights is 54-hole net four-ball stroke play.
The Westin Stonebriar Hotel & Golf Club Fazio course is hosting the Texas Father-Son for the second time in the tournament’s 38-year history. The course, which is located on-site of The Westin Stonebriar Hotel, was designed by Tom Fazio and showcases dramatic landforms, subtly contoured greens and is bordered by native grass and masterful bunkering.
The Texas Golf Association extends its sincere appreciation to The Westin Stonebriar Hotel & Golf Club, the welcoming membership, and hard-working staff, as well as our volunteers, for all their dedication and efforts in making the 2018 Texas Father-Son a memorable event.
For more information on this year’s Father-Son, including complete scoring click here.
- TPC San Antonio Play Day Event Portal :: Welcome Play where the Pros play as we head south to play TPC San Antonio's AT&T Oak's Course.⠀
📍 TPC San Antonio
📆 Wed., October 14 @ 12PM
🏌️ 2-Person Scramble (Gross & Net)
🏆 Includes Golf & Prizes⠀
... 2 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🏆 Preston Stout and Matthew Comegys are crowned co-champions of the Legends Junior Tour #LJTNorthTXClassic after posting 11-under-par 133 through 36 holes. Ryann Honea and MacKenzie Moore also took home co-champion honors with a one-stroke victory in the Girls 12-18 ... 6 Likes
- 404: Page Not Found | Mailchimp #SaveTheDate: #FunGolf Events are now open in #Houston & #SanAntonio!
Come play in our 2-person scramble at TPC San Antonio (AT&T Oaks Course) on Oct. 14 (gross & net) & Walden on Lake Conroe on Oct. 17 (gross with flights).
- Texas Golf Association Registration Event Portal :: Master Roster Registration The #Fun continues with our most sought after event, the annual #TexasShamble!
📍 Tapatio Springs Hill Country Resort
🏌️♂️ October 30: Practice Round
🏌️♂️ October 31: Round 1 (Includes Lunch)
🏆 November 1: Round 2 (Prizes/Awards/Includes lunch)
There will ... 1 Likes
- 🚨Registration for the #USWomensFourBall Qualifying closes Sept. 9th!
🏆U.S. Women’s Four-Ball Championship
⛳️Maridoe Golf Club
🗓April 24-28, 2021
Local Qualifying Sites:
Rangers Golf Club - Arlington - Sept. 23
Magnolia Creek GC - League City-Nov. 12
Apply to ...
- TGA Announces Fall Event Series for Men and Women 📢 TGA Announces Fall Series Events - a slate of new competitive tournaments for men & women with at least one new event conducted in Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and the Austin-San Antonio Hill Country area. Follow the link to learn ... 14 Likes
- Timeline Photos We have two more volunteer days coming up this fall with The Spirit Golf Association at the Houston Food Bank! Follow the links to volunteer:
Monday, September 14
Saturday, October 10
https://buff.ly/2QCnuvG 3 Likes
- Jim Brown Honored with Bob Wells Volunteerism Award We are pleased to announce longtime director & past president Jim Brown has received the Bob Wells Distinguished Service Award, the TGA’s highest honor for individuals who’ve contributed to the growth of the game through volunteerism & meritorious service. 23 CommentsRavi Shah Congratulations from the Shahs. Your service to junior golf has and will continue to leave a profound legacy..Anna Schultz Congratulations Jim!! You are very deserving of this award!Chhaya Shah Congratulations Jim. Couldn’t think of a better person who deserves this recognition.52 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jason Schultz of Allen and Prosper’s Russell Williams card a final round 6-under-par 66 to go wire-to-wire and win the #Texas4Ball by three strokes at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course. The were 26-under for the championship.
In the ... 2 CommentsMark Ellis Congratulations Russell! That little course in Crockett churns out some excellent players! 😊Clay Hughey Way to go Russell Williams. Congrats to Sparky and Kennedy too. You guys represented East Texas well.21 Likes
- Following their brilliant 12-under-par 60 in Round 1, Russell Williams and Jason Schultz card an 8-under-par 64 in Round 2 at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course to post 20-under through 36 holes and lead the field by three.
... 1 CommentsJeff Atkinson Congrats, heck of a tournament!8 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Russell Williams & Jason Schultz have known each other since competing as collegiate golfers in the ‘90s. On Friday, they teamed up to card an opening round 12-under-par 60 at the Texas Four-Ball and lead the field by two strokes.
... 16 Likes
- The Spirit Golf Association Announces Appointment of Charlie Epps, PGA, as Interim President The Spirit Golf Association announced today that long-time PGA Professional Charlie Epps will serve as interim president. Epps has served on the SGA Board of Directors since January 2020. Get the full details by clicking the link below. 5 Likes