Borow Maintains Lead at 92nd Texas Junior Amateur
HORSESHOE BAY, Texas – Lake Jackson’s Jacob Borow continues to lead the 92nd Texas Junior Amateur at Horseshoe Bay Resort’s Summit Rock Golf Club after a steady 3-under 69 in Tuesday’s second round. He will head into the final round with a one-shot lead.
One of the oldest and largest state junior championships in the country, the Texas Junior Amateur hosts 240 kids in 4 divisions on two golf courses. Horseshoe Bay Resort is hosting the event for the eighth time in the last nine years. For the second consecutive year, the Jack Nicklaus Signature Design Summit Rock Golf Club is hosting the Boys Division.
The course highlights the natural terrain of the hill country, with elevation changes, beautiful views and native areas surrounding the golf course. Borow has managed to stay out of those native areas that can cost players multiple shots and hopes to do so in Wednesday’s final round.
“I’m going to stick to my plan, and continue to hit the same clubs off the tee boxes and hope to avoid the thick stuff,” Borow said.
He started off his round hot Tuesday, making back-to-back birdies on the third and fourth holes, but just couldn’t get a putt to drop after that.
“My putting was definitely not as good as yesterday. I had a three-putt on 17. It was pretty easy, but just missed it.”
Borow’s bogey on the difficult 17th hole was his lone one of the day to go along with four birdies. His 3-under 69 will get him in the last pairing of the day with his two closest chasers, San Antonio’s Shoichiro Kato and Austin’s Cole Sherwood. Both players sit one back of Borow.
Kato tied for the lowest round of the day with a 5-under 67 and moved his way up the leaderboard all because of a hot start.
“I made a 50-foot birdie putt on the first hole and that kind of got me going,” Kato said.
He recorded four other birdies on the front nine for a 5-under 31. He carded an even-par back nine and will look to capture his first victory on the Legends Junior Tour Wednesday.
Sherwood posted a second 4-under 68 en route to being tied for second. He also got off to a hot start with a birdie on the first hole. He had a hot stretch on the difficult part of the golf course, holes 10-14, carding three birdies in those five holes. He will look to capture his first victory in the Boys division on the Legends Junior Tour.
Fort Worth’s Brandon Massey sits alone in fourth place at 5-under 139 for the tournament after a 4-under 68 Tuesday. Christian Hernandez and Jacob Sosa sit in a tie for fifth place at 3-under 141 heading into the final round.
The 54-hole stroke play event was cut to the low 45 and ties following the second round, which was +6, 150 and included 49 players.
Final round tee times are scheduled to begin Wednesday at 7:30 AM. For more information on the 92nd Texas Junior Amateur,
please visit www.TXGA.org.
For second round results, please click here.
- TPC San Antonio Play Day Event Portal :: Welcome Play where the Pros play as we head south to play TPC San Antonio's AT&T Oak's Course.⠀
📍 TPC San Antonio
📆 Wed., October 14 @ 12PM
🏌️ 2-Person Scramble (Gross & Net)
🏆 Includes Golf & Prizes⠀
... 2 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🏆 Preston Stout and Matthew Comegys are crowned co-champions of the Legends Junior Tour #LJTNorthTXClassic after posting 11-under-par 133 through 36 holes. Ryann Honea and MacKenzie Moore also took home co-champion honors with a one-stroke victory in the Girls 12-18 ... 6 Likes
- 404: Page Not Found | Mailchimp #SaveTheDate: #FunGolf Events are now open in #Houston & #SanAntonio!
Come play in our 2-person scramble at TPC San Antonio (AT&T Oaks Course) on Oct. 14 (gross & net) & Walden on Lake Conroe on Oct. 17 (gross with flights).
- Texas Golf Association Registration Event Portal :: Master Roster Registration The #Fun continues with our most sought after event, the annual #TexasShamble!
📍 Tapatio Springs Hill Country Resort
🏌️♂️ October 30: Practice Round
🏌️♂️ October 31: Round 1 (Includes Lunch)
🏆 November 1: Round 2 (Prizes/Awards/Includes lunch)
There will ... 1 Likes
- 🚨Registration for the #USWomensFourBall Qualifying closes Sept. 9th!
🏆U.S. Women’s Four-Ball Championship
⛳️Maridoe Golf Club
🗓April 24-28, 2021
Local Qualifying Sites:
Rangers Golf Club - Arlington - Sept. 23
Magnolia Creek GC - League City-Nov. 12
Apply to ...
- TGA Announces Fall Event Series for Men and Women 📢 TGA Announces Fall Series Events - a slate of new competitive tournaments for men & women with at least one new event conducted in Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and the Austin-San Antonio Hill Country area. Follow the link to learn ... 14 Likes
- Timeline Photos We have two more volunteer days coming up this fall with The Spirit Golf Association at the Houston Food Bank! Follow the links to volunteer:
Monday, September 14
Saturday, October 10
https://buff.ly/2QCnuvG 3 Likes
- Jim Brown Honored with Bob Wells Volunteerism Award We are pleased to announce longtime director & past president Jim Brown has received the Bob Wells Distinguished Service Award, the TGA’s highest honor for individuals who’ve contributed to the growth of the game through volunteerism & meritorious service. 23 CommentsRavi Shah Congratulations from the Shahs. Your service to junior golf has and will continue to leave a profound legacy..Anna Schultz Congratulations Jim!! You are very deserving of this award!Chhaya Shah Congratulations Jim. Couldn’t think of a better person who deserves this recognition.52 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jason Schultz of Allen and Prosper’s Russell Williams card a final round 6-under-par 66 to go wire-to-wire and win the #Texas4Ball by three strokes at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course. The were 26-under for the championship.
In the ... 2 CommentsMark Ellis Congratulations Russell! That little course in Crockett churns out some excellent players! 😊Clay Hughey Way to go Russell Williams. Congrats to Sparky and Kennedy too. You guys represented East Texas well.21 Likes
- Following their brilliant 12-under-par 60 in Round 1, Russell Williams and Jason Schultz card an 8-under-par 64 in Round 2 at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course to post 20-under through 36 holes and lead the field by three.
... 1 CommentsJeff Atkinson Congrats, heck of a tournament!8 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Russell Williams & Jason Schultz have known each other since competing as collegiate golfers in the ‘90s. On Friday, they teamed up to card an opening round 12-under-par 60 at the Texas Four-Ball and lead the field by two strokes.
... 16 Likes
- The Spirit Golf Association Announces Appointment of Charlie Epps, PGA, as Interim President The Spirit Golf Association announced today that long-time PGA Professional Charlie Epps will serve as interim president. Epps has served on the SGA Board of Directors since January 2020. Get the full details by clicking the link below. 5 Likes