McDonough Leads LJT Lanny Wadkins
PROSPER – Spicewood’s Hunter McDonough leads the Lanny Wadkins Junior Championship after firing a 5-under 67 in the first round at Gentle Creek Country Club.
Tanner Wardlaw shot a 2-under 70 and leads the Boys 14 & Under division heading into Tuesday’s final round. In the Girls 12-18 division, Halle Whitney and Gabbi Bentancourt sit atop the leaderboard after carding 1-under 71’s Monday afternoon.
Located in Prosper, a suburb of Dallas, Gentle Creek is hosting the Lanny Wadkins Junior Championship for the fifth straight year. The D.A. Weibring designed course meanders through the upscale residential neighborhoods. The course features intriguing elevation changes, picturesque water hazards and large, undulating greens that will challenge all 120 players in this year’s field.
McDonough leads a crowded leaderboard heading into the final round. He started out hot Monday, making birdies on his first two holes, the difficult opening par-4, and the easier par-5 second. He played steady until the middle of his back nine. He then caught fire, carding four birdies in a row on holes 12 through 15 on his way to a 4-under 32 on his closing nine.
McDonough leads by one shot over a trio of players. McKinney’s Alex Kopenhaver, The Woodlands’ Brayden Ingebrigtsen, and Austin’s Thomas Bockholt III, the current LJT Points List leader, all shot 4-under 68’s in their opening round. Junwoo Park and Nico Nebout sit in a tie for fifth place, two shots back of McDonough.
In all, 14 players shot under-par or better in their first round, which will make for an interesting Tuesday afternoon at Gentle Creek.
In the Boys 14 & Under division, Dripping Springs’ Wardlaw leads by two shots. Wardlaw started hot too, making birdie two of his first five holes. Unfortunately, he gave those two back right away on holes six and seven, but bounced back with a birdie at the difficult par-4 eighth. He had three birdies on his back nine also, but closed with a disappointing bogey on the par-5 18th.
His two shot lead is over Ben Delarosa, who shot an even-par 72. Delarosa had a bogey-free opening nine, including two birdies, but struggled down the stretch with two bogeys in his last six holes.
Driftwood’s Grant Yerger sits alone in third place, just three shots back of Wardlaw. Nathan Pheng sits in fourth after a 2-over 74. Mason McClure and Marcus Williams are tied for fifth place.
In the Girls 12-18 division, Frisco’s Bentancourt and Magnolia’s Whitney were in the last few groups to finish, but that didn’t stop them. Bentancourt started slow with a bogey on the opening hole, but followed it up with two birdies in three holes on her opening nine. She played her closing nine bogey-free and added in a birdie on the par-3 15th.
Whitney, on the other hand, played her opening nine bogey-free and had a birdie on the picturesque par-3 ninth. She had two birdies and two bogeys, including the par-5 18th, on her closing nine, but still sits in a tie for the lead.
McKinney’s Amari Smith sits in a third place after a 1-over 73. Dallas’ Courtney Kang, Allen’s Taylor Mieras, and Houston’s Zoe Slaughter sit in a three-way tie for fourth place heading into Tuesday.
The final round of the Lanny Wadkins Junior Championship is scheduled to begin at 7:30 AM off the first tee Tuesday morning.
For first round results, click here.
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🏆 Preston Stout and Matthew Comegys are crowned co-champions of the Legends Junior Tour #LJTNorthTXClassic after posting 11-under-par 133 through 36 holes. Ryann Honea and MacKenzie Moore also took home co-champion honors with a one-stroke victory in the Girls 12-18 ... 6 Likes
- 404: Page Not Found | Mailchimp #SaveTheDate: #FunGolf Events are now open in #Houston & #SanAntonio!
Come play in our 2-person scramble at TPC San Antonio (AT&T Oaks Course) on Oct. 14 (gross & net) & Walden on Lake Conroe on Oct. 17 (gross with flights).
- Texas Golf Association Registration Event Portal :: Master Roster Registration The #Fun continues with our most sought after event, the annual #TexasShamble!
📍 Tapatio Springs Hill Country Resort
🏌️♂️ October 30: Practice Round
🏌️♂️ October 31: Round 1 (Includes Lunch)
🏆 November 1: Round 2 (Prizes/Awards/Includes lunch)
There will ... 1 Likes
- 🚨Registration for the #USWomensFourBall Qualifying closes Sept. 9th!
🏆U.S. Women’s Four-Ball Championship
⛳️Maridoe Golf Club
🗓April 24-28, 2021
Local Qualifying Sites:
Rangers Golf Club - Arlington - Sept. 23
Magnolia Creek GC - League City-Nov. 12
Apply to ...
- TGA Announces Fall Event Series for Men and Women 📢 TGA Announces Fall Series Events - a slate of new competitive tournaments for men & women with at least one new event conducted in Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and the Austin-San Antonio Hill Country area. Follow the link to learn ... 14 Likes
- Timeline Photos We have two more volunteer days coming up this fall with The Spirit Golf Association at the Houston Food Bank! Follow the links to volunteer:
Monday, September 14
Saturday, October 10
https://buff.ly/2QCnuvG 3 Likes
- Jim Brown Honored with Bob Wells Volunteerism Award We are pleased to announce longtime director & past president Jim Brown has received the Bob Wells Distinguished Service Award, the TGA’s highest honor for individuals who’ve contributed to the growth of the game through volunteerism & meritorious service. 23 CommentsRavi Shah Congratulations from the Shahs. Your service to junior golf has and will continue to leave a profound legacy..Anna Schultz Congratulations Jim!! You are very deserving of this award!Chhaya Shah Congratulations Jim. Couldn’t think of a better person who deserves this recognition.52 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jason Schultz of Allen and Prosper’s Russell Williams card a final round 6-under-par 66 to go wire-to-wire and win the #Texas4Ball by three strokes at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course. The were 26-under for the championship.
In the ... 2 CommentsMark Ellis Congratulations Russell! That little course in Crockett churns out some excellent players! 😊Clay Hughey Way to go Russell Williams. Congrats to Sparky and Kennedy too. You guys represented East Texas well.21 Likes
- Following their brilliant 12-under-par 60 in Round 1, Russell Williams and Jason Schultz card an 8-under-par 64 in Round 2 at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course to post 20-under through 36 holes and lead the field by three.
... 1 CommentsJeff Atkinson Congrats, heck of a tournament!8 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Russell Williams & Jason Schultz have known each other since competing as collegiate golfers in the ‘90s. On Friday, they teamed up to card an opening round 12-under-par 60 at the Texas Four-Ball and lead the field by two strokes.
... 16 Likes
- The Spirit Golf Association Announces Appointment of Charlie Epps, PGA, as Interim President The Spirit Golf Association announced today that long-time PGA Professional Charlie Epps will serve as interim president. Epps has served on the SGA Board of Directors since January 2020. Get the full details by clicking the link below. 5 Likes
- Teammates Faith Delagarza and Amari Smith win back to back #WomensFourBall Championship 🏆
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/womens-four-ball-championship-2020-leaderboard 4 Likes
- 🎥 Sunday at the #TexasAmateur! What a great week @bootranchtx!
A new champion has been crowned! Congratulations, @treybosco! The TGA extends its sincere appreciation to the @bootranchtx staff and membership for their efforts in making the 111th Texas Amateur ... 9 Likes