Sewell Retains Lead After Second Round of South Amateur presented by Impact Precision Golf
Fair Oaks Ranch – Chad Sewell fired a second round 2-under-par 70 on Saturday to maintain a slim lead after moving day at the South Amateur presented by Impact Precision Golf. Sewell holds a one stroke lead over a very tight leaderboard. The 54-hole event looks to conclude on Sunday on the Live Oak course at Fair Oaks Ranch Golf & Country Club.
Sewell, of Conroe, once again started quickly with four birdies in his first nine holes to help him turn at 3-under. However, he stumbled a little down the stretch with two bogeys in his final four holes. He played a strong enough round to hold off a charging field on moving day, though.
Sewell leads John Keefer and Jacob Davis each by one stroke. Keefer, of San Antonio, cut Sewell’s overnight lead in half after carding a 3-under-par 69. After a bogey-free 66 on Friday, Keefer carded only one bogey on Saturday on his way to his 69. The lone bogey came on his first hole of the day, the par-4 10th. He recovered to rattle off four birdies from there and pick up a stroke on Sewell.
Davis, of Cibolo, backed up his strong opening-round 67 with a 68 on Saturday. Davis only recorded two bogeys on his way to his 4-under-par 68. That moved him up to share a tie for second at 9-under-par, 135 overall. Keefer and Davis are paired together with Sewell and will start the final round at 9:21.
Calvin Ross tied for the low round of the day with a 66 to help him surge up the leaderboard into fourth place at 137 overall heading into Sunday’s final round. Jack Randle rounds out the top five at 138 overall, just four strokes off the lead.
Players had to navigate a different set of playing conditions on Saturday after thunderstorms rolled through Fair Oaks Ranch overnight. Heavy rain soaked the course making it softer than Friday’s first round. The overnight rain softened the greens, which rewarded strong wedge play and putting. Although the fairways had less run to them, players were still able to attack the Live Oak course. Many players saw rewards to their aggressiveness, with 15 players scoring in red numbers.
Sunday’s final round looks to be action packed with six players within five strokes of the leader. And with No. 18 scoring so favorably all weekend, the tournament could very well come down to the last putt on Sunday.
The final round of the South Amateur presented by Impact Precision Golf starts off Sunday morning at 8:00 am. The leaders will tee off last from Hole 1 at 9:21 am. Click here for more information, pairings, and the full leaderboard.
- TPC San Antonio Play Day Event Portal :: Welcome Play where the Pros play as we head south to play TPC San Antonio's AT&T Oak's Course.⠀
📍 TPC San Antonio
📆 Wed., October 14 @ 12PM
🏌️ 2-Person Scramble (Gross & Net)
🏆 Includes Golf & Prizes⠀
... 2 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🏆 Preston Stout and Matthew Comegys are crowned co-champions of the Legends Junior Tour #LJTNorthTXClassic after posting 11-under-par 133 through 36 holes. Ryann Honea and MacKenzie Moore also took home co-champion honors with a one-stroke victory in the Girls 12-18 ... 6 Likes
- 404: Page Not Found | Mailchimp #SaveTheDate: #FunGolf Events are now open in #Houston & #SanAntonio!
Come play in our 2-person scramble at TPC San Antonio (AT&T Oaks Course) on Oct. 14 (gross & net) & Walden on Lake Conroe on Oct. 17 (gross with flights).
- Texas Golf Association Registration Event Portal :: Master Roster Registration The #Fun continues with our most sought after event, the annual #TexasShamble!
📍 Tapatio Springs Hill Country Resort
🏌️♂️ October 30: Practice Round
🏌️♂️ October 31: Round 1 (Includes Lunch)
🏆 November 1: Round 2 (Prizes/Awards/Includes lunch)
There will ... 1 Likes
- 🚨Registration for the #USWomensFourBall Qualifying closes Sept. 9th!
🏆U.S. Women’s Four-Ball Championship
⛳️Maridoe Golf Club
🗓April 24-28, 2021
Local Qualifying Sites:
Rangers Golf Club - Arlington - Sept. 23
Magnolia Creek GC - League City-Nov. 12
Apply to ...
- TGA Announces Fall Event Series for Men and Women 📢 TGA Announces Fall Series Events - a slate of new competitive tournaments for men & women with at least one new event conducted in Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and the Austin-San Antonio Hill Country area. Follow the link to learn ... 14 Likes
- Timeline Photos We have two more volunteer days coming up this fall with The Spirit Golf Association at the Houston Food Bank! Follow the links to volunteer:
Monday, September 14
Saturday, October 10
https://buff.ly/2QCnuvG 3 Likes
- Jim Brown Honored with Bob Wells Volunteerism Award We are pleased to announce longtime director & past president Jim Brown has received the Bob Wells Distinguished Service Award, the TGA’s highest honor for individuals who’ve contributed to the growth of the game through volunteerism & meritorious service. 23 CommentsRavi Shah Congratulations from the Shahs. Your service to junior golf has and will continue to leave a profound legacy..Anna Schultz Congratulations Jim!! You are very deserving of this award!Chhaya Shah Congratulations Jim. Couldn’t think of a better person who deserves this recognition.52 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jason Schultz of Allen and Prosper’s Russell Williams card a final round 6-under-par 66 to go wire-to-wire and win the #Texas4Ball by three strokes at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course. The were 26-under for the championship.
In the ... 2 CommentsMark Ellis Congratulations Russell! That little course in Crockett churns out some excellent players! 😊Clay Hughey Way to go Russell Williams. Congrats to Sparky and Kennedy too. You guys represented East Texas well.21 Likes
- Following their brilliant 12-under-par 60 in Round 1, Russell Williams and Jason Schultz card an 8-under-par 64 in Round 2 at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course to post 20-under through 36 holes and lead the field by three.
... 1 CommentsJeff Atkinson Congrats, heck of a tournament!8 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Russell Williams & Jason Schultz have known each other since competing as collegiate golfers in the ‘90s. On Friday, they teamed up to card an opening round 12-under-par 60 at the Texas Four-Ball and lead the field by two strokes.
... 16 Likes
- The Spirit Golf Association Announces Appointment of Charlie Epps, PGA, as Interim President The Spirit Golf Association announced today that long-time PGA Professional Charlie Epps will serve as interim president. Epps has served on the SGA Board of Directors since January 2020. Get the full details by clicking the link below. 5 Likes
- Teammates Faith Delagarza and Amari Smith win back to back #WomensFourBall Championship 🏆
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/womens-four-ball-championship-2020-leaderboard 4 Likes