Davis Wins South Amateur presented by Impact Precision Golf
Fair Oaks Ranch – Jacob Davis, of Cibolo, birdied the first playoff hole to clinch a comeback victory in the 2018 South Amateur presented by Impact Precision Golf with a final score of 67-68-70—205. Davis trailed Conroe’s Chad Sewell by one stroke entering the final round of the 54-hole tournament. Davis shot a final-round 2-under-par 70, while Sewell finished with a 71.
San Antonio’s John Keefer shot a final-round 71 to finish one stroke behind the leaders. Jack Randle of Shenandoah and Brandon Rougeau of Washington finished at fourth and fifth, respectively. Rougeau stormed back with a final-round 66, but came up just short.
“This just means a lot more because last year I had my colon removed,” Davis said.
He spent two months in the hospital and dropped down to 110 pounds, but he says that helped him gain a deeper appreciation for golf. “It just feels different now,” Davis said. “I sort of fell in love with the game all over again.”
An attitude like that helped him navigate conditions that were the most difficult of the weekend. After relatively little wind during the first two rounds, the wind picked up during Sunday’s final round.
“The wind swirled like crazy today,” Davis said. “I struggled picking clubs.”
He credits a hot putter throughout the weekend for helping him cover up a few mistakes. He drained a few long putts on Sunday to help him make up some ground.
After being tied at the turn, Davis and second-round leader Chad Sewell each fired a 33 on their back nine to force a sudden-death playoff. Each player birdied No.18 on their final hole of regulation, but Davis was the one who was able to repeat that feat to clinch the championship in the playoff. Sewell missed his birdie chance and made par.
“All I told myself was ‘I can do all things through Christ,’” Davis said of his mindset going into the playoff hole. “I even said it out loud on the fairway.”
It seemed only fitting that tournament would come down to No. 18, a hole that Davis and Sewell each played at 3-under over the weekend. Davis just happened to get the last birdie of the weekend.
“Chad is obviously a great player, but I guess somebody had to win,” Davis said.
The Texas Golf Association extends sincere gratitude to the membership, Director of Golf Phil Wiese and his staff at Fair Oaks Ranch Golf & Country Club for their gracious hospitality throughout the week. The Live Oak Course provided a true test of golf for the competitors.
This concludes the 2018 South Regional Series presented by Impact Precision Golf. Impact Precision Golf is a premier club fitter located in Spring, TX. The other three events, the South Four-Ball, South Mid-Amateur, and South Senior Amateur were all contested earlier on in the season. Players must reside in the southern part of Texas (31st parallel, Salado, TX) to be able to compete in the South Regional Series presented by Impact Precision Golf. The Texas Golf Association would like to thank our partners, Impact Precision Golf, for their commitment to amateur golf.
Click here for the full leaderboard and complete tournament information.
- TPC San Antonio Play Day Event Portal :: Welcome Play where the Pros play as we head south to play TPC San Antonio's AT&T Oak's Course.⠀
📍 TPC San Antonio
📆 Wed., October 14 @ 12PM
🏌️ 2-Person Scramble (Gross & Net)
🏆 Includes Golf & Prizes⠀
... 1 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🏆 Preston Stout and Matthew Comegys are crowned co-champions of the Legends Junior Tour #LJTNorthTXClassic after posting 11-under-par 133 through 36 holes. Ryann Honea and MacKenzie Moore also took home co-champion honors with a one-stroke victory in the Girls 12-18 ... 6 Likes
- 404: Page Not Found | Mailchimp #SaveTheDate: #FunGolf Events are now open in #Houston & #SanAntonio!
Come play in our 2-person scramble at TPC San Antonio (AT&T Oaks Course) on Oct. 14 (gross & net) & Walden on Lake Conroe on Oct. 17 (gross with flights).
- Texas Golf Association Registration Event Portal :: Master Roster Registration The #Fun continues with our most sought after event, the annual #TexasShamble!
📍 Tapatio Springs Hill Country Resort
🏌️♂️ October 30: Practice Round
🏌️♂️ October 31: Round 1 (Includes Lunch)
🏆 November 1: Round 2 (Prizes/Awards/Includes lunch)
There will ... 1 Likes
- 🚨Registration for the #USWomensFourBall Qualifying closes Sept. 9th!
🏆U.S. Women’s Four-Ball Championship
⛳️Maridoe Golf Club
🗓April 24-28, 2021
Local Qualifying Sites:
Rangers Golf Club - Arlington - Sept. 23
Magnolia Creek GC - League City-Nov. 12
Apply to ...
- TGA Announces Fall Event Series for Men and Women 📢 TGA Announces Fall Series Events - a slate of new competitive tournaments for men & women with at least one new event conducted in Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and the Austin-San Antonio Hill Country area. Follow the link to learn ... 14 Likes
- Timeline Photos We have two more volunteer days coming up this fall with The Spirit Golf Association at the Houston Food Bank! Follow the links to volunteer:
Monday, September 14
Saturday, October 10
https://buff.ly/2QCnuvG 3 Likes
- Jim Brown Honored with Bob Wells Volunteerism Award We are pleased to announce longtime director & past president Jim Brown has received the Bob Wells Distinguished Service Award, the TGA’s highest honor for individuals who’ve contributed to the growth of the game through volunteerism & meritorious service. 23 CommentsRavi Shah Congratulations from the Shahs. Your service to junior golf has and will continue to leave a profound legacy..Anna Schultz Congratulations Jim!! You are very deserving of this award!Chhaya Shah Congratulations Jim. Couldn’t think of a better person who deserves this recognition.52 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jason Schultz of Allen and Prosper’s Russell Williams card a final round 6-under-par 66 to go wire-to-wire and win the #Texas4Ball by three strokes at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course. The were 26-under for the championship.
In the ... 2 CommentsMark Ellis Congratulations Russell! That little course in Crockett churns out some excellent players! 😊Clay Hughey Way to go Russell Williams. Congrats to Sparky and Kennedy too. You guys represented East Texas well.21 Likes
- Following their brilliant 12-under-par 60 in Round 1, Russell Williams and Jason Schultz card an 8-under-par 64 in Round 2 at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course to post 20-under through 36 holes and lead the field by three.
... 1 CommentsJeff Atkinson Congrats, heck of a tournament!8 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Russell Williams & Jason Schultz have known each other since competing as collegiate golfers in the ‘90s. On Friday, they teamed up to card an opening round 12-under-par 60 at the Texas Four-Ball and lead the field by two strokes.
... 16 Likes
- The Spirit Golf Association Announces Appointment of Charlie Epps, PGA, as Interim President The Spirit Golf Association announced today that long-time PGA Professional Charlie Epps will serve as interim president. Epps has served on the SGA Board of Directors since January 2020. Get the full details by clicking the link below. 5 Likes
- Teammates Faith Delagarza and Amari Smith win back to back #WomensFourBall Championship 🏆
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/womens-four-ball-championship-2020-leaderboard 4 Likes