Woolf Captures 2018 North Amateur in Playoff
McKinney, TX – Travis Woolf went wire to wire to win the North Amateur after defeating Christopher Wheeler in a one hole playoff. Woolf and Wheeler finished the 54 hole tournament tied at 1-over par 217. Jay Csipkes finishes in a two way tie for third place after shooting a final round 3-over par 75 for a 6-over par total, 222.
Woolf’s 36-hole lead of four strokes was immediately cut in half after Wheeler holed his second shot on the first hole for an eagle 2. Both players would go on shoot a 2-under 34 on the front nine and brought Woolf’s lead back up to four. But after Woolf carded his first bogey of the day on the par 5 13th which he followed up by hitting it out of bounds on the par 4 14th, his lead began to vanish as Wheeler had birdied the 10th and 13th with a bogey on the intimidating par 3, 12th over water.
Standing on the demanding par 3, 17th, Woolf held a one shot advantage over Wheeler but that quickly turned after Woolf missed the green to the right and couldn’t get up and down for par. Wheeler found the green, 25 feet away and two putt for par and come square with Woolf as they walked to the 18th tee.
Woolf managed to the find the fairway while Wheeler missed his to the right and found the deep rough. Both players missed the green as the hole was positioned tightly against the Later Water Hazard that sits between #9 and #18 of the Dye Course. Wheeler hit an excellent flop shot from a steep slope to 10 feet while Woolf left his short greenside chip short to eight feet. Both players missed their putts which ultimately sent them back to the 9th hole for a playoff.
The 451 yard par 4 wrapped around the other side of the lateral water hazard from hole 18 with a left to right wind. Knowing that if they found the hazard, their hopes of becoming the 2018 North Amateur Champion would surely be diminished so as a result, both players missed their tee shots into the left rough and found themselves with long seconds in the green.
With Pete Dye’s lush rough and wet conditions, Woolf found himself with roughly 220 yards left into the hole. Woolf was able to get a clean strike on the ball and advanced it just short of the green. Wheeler was unlucky and his ball hung up on the downslope of a hill in the rough but he was able to hit it to short right of green, only feet from finding the hazard and a sure defeat.
Woolf almost immediately smashed those hopes of getting up and down and forcing a second playoff but his bump and run from just in front of the green found the bottom of the cup. He almost couldn’t believe it went in but when asked if he was trying to make it, Woolf responded with, “No, I was just hoping to get the ball close to the ball so I could have a tap in par.”
After seeing the ball disappear in the bottom of the cup, Wheeler couldn’t believe what just had happened but he had to focus and try to follow suit if he wanted to force another hole with Woolf. His chip teased the hole but as it went by, Travis Woolf became the North Amateur Champion.
The North Amateur is the first Championship Woolf has won with the Texas Golf Association in his many years of competing. With their finishes, both players have received an automatic exemption into the 110th Texas Amateur Championship to be contested at Dallas Athletic Club next June.
Jay Csipkes shot a final round 3-over par 75 to grab a tie for third place for the Championship. Csipkes carded two birdies on the day.
Located in McKinney, a suburb in North Dallas, Stonebridge Ranch Country Club – Dye Course is hosting the Texas Golf Associations North Regional Amateur for the first time since the Regional Series inception in 2003. Opening in 1988, Stonebridge Ranch Country Club was designed by the great Pete Dye. Known for his Signature Golf Courses, the Dye Course offers challenging play along with the renewing qualities of the beauty that surrounds it. Stonebridge Ranch Country Club has been named “Best of Private Clubs” in 2017 Avid Golfer and has recently converted to MiniVerde greens with new bunker reconstruction.
The Texas Golf Association would like to thank the entire professional and maintenance staff of Stonebridge Ranch Country Club for their tireless efforts in preparing the golf course each morning and having it in Championship form even with the excessive amounts of rain that caused a rain delay during Round 2. The TGA would also like to thank to the volunteers and tournament officials for their efforts over the past three days and sticking it out through the elements that presented itself at Stonebridge Ranch Country Club.
To see all the scores from the 2018 North Amateur Championship and more information on the tournament, click here.
- The 2021 Texas Golf Association Amateur Championship to begin this weekend! Hear from our very own John Cochran about the #SouthAm taking place this weekend at Galveston Country Club.
ℹ️ Follow along here: https://t.co/tCvFKgk5XL
📽 via FOX 26 Houston
https://www-fox26houston-com.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/www.fox26houston.com/video/963263.amp 23 Likes
- Texas Golf Association on Twitter 🚨MIXER ALERT🚨 Join us for #HappyHour! Register solo or up to a team of six! Price includes 2hrs of #Topgolf, buffet & more! Compete for raffles & prizes. Guests 21+ enjoy a round of beer/wine on us! SPACE IS LIMITED. ... 1 Likes
- It is with deep sadness that the TGA announces the passing of John Semander. The longtime TGA volunteer and Past Director passed away on July 27. He was 89 years old.
Read More: https://bit.ly/3xiWlB0 13 CommentsOh man so sorry to hear. He was an incredible man!!! I’m glad that I had the privilege to work ...A good man with such a warm demeanor and servants heart. He was that rare person who could put a ...A lovely man, was so kind to me when I worked over there. Have such positive memories of him. RIP John33 Likes
- TGA Par-Tee | TopGolf Dallas Come Par-Tee with the TGA for #HappyHour at #Topgolf #Dallas! Enjoy a buffet of food, drinks, snacks & desserts, plus 2 hours of 🏌️♂️! Bays will compete for #SwagBags & a #FunGolf Play Day for two! Did we mention the ... 1 Likes
- Pairings and starting times for the Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play have been released! More info 👇
⏰Starting times: https://www.txga.org/2021-texas-mid-amateur-match-play-leaderboard/
Texas Golf Association is at Trinity Forest Golf Club. 1 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Congratulations to the 93rd West Texas Amateur Champion Garrett Leek🏆
🏆Senior Champion: Mike Booker
🏆Super Senior Champion: Craig Urban
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 24 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jansen Smith of San Angelo and Garrett Leek of Brock share the lead through two rounds at the #WestTexasAm 🏜
18 holes remain at Abilene Country Club (South Course)
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - ... 6 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🪣 🪣 bucket hats are out in full force. Round 2 of the #WestTexasAm is in action.
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/west-texas-amateur-leaderboard-2021
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 7 Likes
- Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play Set for July 22-25 The Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play is set for July 22-25 pitting the top amateur golfers age 25+ against one another at Trinity Forest Golf Club, one of the most unique venues in Texas. Follow the link for more! 7 Likes
- TGA Players Box #TGAMembers Check your email inboxes for your exclusive #TexasTuesday deal, brought to you by the #TGAPlayersBox X @shortpar4. Save on men's and women's G/FORE shoes available for only $145 and 4 doz. TaylorMade balls for only $144! Want more deals? ...
- EMMA MCMYLER is your 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur Champion! #rivercrestcountryclub #100texasamateur
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 23 CommentsWay to go, Emma! 👏⛳️🎊Congratulations Emma! So proud of you!!Congrats Emma. Great result. Up Louisburgh!!64 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post The four semifinalists competing to advance to the championship round of the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur have began their matches!
live scoring: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 9 Likes
- We want to thank all of our amazing volunteers who came out to help at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur!
This wouldn’t be possible without you guys
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 1 CommentsThank you! USGA Volunteers!15 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post After 2 rounds of match play, these elite 8 players will compete tomorrow in the quarterfinals.
scores from this afternoon: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 8 Likes
- The day is not over yet 🤯 The 16 winners of this morning’s matches are going back out again!
The second round of matches is underway at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur #rivercrestcountryclub #100texasamateur
Texas Golf Association is at River ... 1 CommentsWatching and cheering the women golfers on from Fair Oaks Ranch!10 Likes
- The TGA sincerely thanks the all River Crest Country Club staff and grounds crew. The 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur couldn’t happen without you and we are grateful for all your hard work.
Texas Golf Association is at River ... 3 CommentsWe couldn’t have wonderful courses without them-thanks!!At every course this is the group of men/women that make it possible for their members to enjoy the sport ...River Crest is so beautiful!26 Likes
- and just like that, match 1 is over 😱 with no. 1 seed Kenlie Barrett defeating no. 32 seed Cari Denson at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur
(8 & 7)!!
keep following along: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is ... 3 Likes