Woolf Captures 2018 North Amateur in Playoff
McKinney, TX – Travis Woolf went wire to wire to win the North Amateur after defeating Christopher Wheeler in a one hole playoff. Woolf and Wheeler finished the 54 hole tournament tied at 1-over par 217. Jay Csipkes finishes in a two way tie for third place after shooting a final round 3-over par 75 for a 6-over par total, 222.
Woolf’s 36-hole lead of four strokes was immediately cut in half after Wheeler holed his second shot on the first hole for an eagle 2. Both players would go on shoot a 2-under 34 on the front nine and brought Woolf’s lead back up to four. But after Woolf carded his first bogey of the day on the par 5 13th which he followed up by hitting it out of bounds on the par 4 14th, his lead began to vanish as Wheeler had birdied the 10th and 13th with a bogey on the intimidating par 3, 12th over water.
Standing on the demanding par 3, 17th, Woolf held a one shot advantage over Wheeler but that quickly turned after Woolf missed the green to the right and couldn’t get up and down for par. Wheeler found the green, 25 feet away and two putt for par and come square with Woolf as they walked to the 18th tee.
Woolf managed to the find the fairway while Wheeler missed his to the right and found the deep rough. Both players missed the green as the hole was positioned tightly against the Later Water Hazard that sits between #9 and #18 of the Dye Course. Wheeler hit an excellent flop shot from a steep slope to 10 feet while Woolf left his short greenside chip short to eight feet. Both players missed their putts which ultimately sent them back to the 9th hole for a playoff.
The 451 yard par 4 wrapped around the other side of the lateral water hazard from hole 18 with a left to right wind. Knowing that if they found the hazard, their hopes of becoming the 2018 North Amateur Champion would surely be diminished so as a result, both players missed their tee shots into the left rough and found themselves with long seconds in the green.
With Pete Dye’s lush rough and wet conditions, Woolf found himself with roughly 220 yards left into the hole. Woolf was able to get a clean strike on the ball and advanced it just short of the green. Wheeler was unlucky and his ball hung up on the downslope of a hill in the rough but he was able to hit it to short right of green, only feet from finding the hazard and a sure defeat.
Woolf almost immediately smashed those hopes of getting up and down and forcing a second playoff but his bump and run from just in front of the green found the bottom of the cup. He almost couldn’t believe it went in but when asked if he was trying to make it, Woolf responded with, “No, I was just hoping to get the ball close to the ball so I could have a tap in par.”
After seeing the ball disappear in the bottom of the cup, Wheeler couldn’t believe what just had happened but he had to focus and try to follow suit if he wanted to force another hole with Woolf. His chip teased the hole but as it went by, Travis Woolf became the North Amateur Champion.
The North Amateur is the first Championship Woolf has won with the Texas Golf Association in his many years of competing. With their finishes, both players have received an automatic exemption into the 110th Texas Amateur Championship to be contested at Dallas Athletic Club next June.
Jay Csipkes shot a final round 3-over par 75 to grab a tie for third place for the Championship. Csipkes carded two birdies on the day.
Located in McKinney, a suburb in North Dallas, Stonebridge Ranch Country Club – Dye Course is hosting the Texas Golf Associations North Regional Amateur for the first time since the Regional Series inception in 2003. Opening in 1988, Stonebridge Ranch Country Club was designed by the great Pete Dye. Known for his Signature Golf Courses, the Dye Course offers challenging play along with the renewing qualities of the beauty that surrounds it. Stonebridge Ranch Country Club has been named “Best of Private Clubs” in 2017 Avid Golfer and has recently converted to MiniVerde greens with new bunker reconstruction.
The Texas Golf Association would like to thank the entire professional and maintenance staff of Stonebridge Ranch Country Club for their tireless efforts in preparing the golf course each morning and having it in Championship form even with the excessive amounts of rain that caused a rain delay during Round 2. The TGA would also like to thank to the volunteers and tournament officials for their efforts over the past three days and sticking it out through the elements that presented itself at Stonebridge Ranch Country Club.
To see all the scores from the 2018 North Amateur Championship and more information on the tournament, click here.
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🏆 Preston Stout and Matthew Comegys are crowned co-champions of the Legends Junior Tour #LJTNorthTXClassic after posting 11-under-par 133 through 36 holes. Ryann Honea and MacKenzie Moore also took home co-champion honors with a one-stroke victory in the Girls 12-18 ... 6 Likes
- 404: Page Not Found | Mailchimp #SaveTheDate: #FunGolf Events are now open in #Houston & #SanAntonio!
Come play in our 2-person scramble at TPC San Antonio (AT&T Oaks Course) on Oct. 14 (gross & net) & Walden on Lake Conroe on Oct. 17 (gross with flights).
- Texas Golf Association Registration Event Portal :: Master Roster Registration The #Fun continues with our most sought after event, the annual #TexasShamble!
📍 Tapatio Springs Hill Country Resort
🏌️♂️ October 30: Practice Round
🏌️♂️ October 31: Round 1 (Includes Lunch)
🏆 November 1: Round 2 (Prizes/Awards/Includes lunch)
There will ... 1 Likes
- 🚨Registration for the #USWomensFourBall Qualifying closes Sept. 9th!
🏆U.S. Women’s Four-Ball Championship
⛳️Maridoe Golf Club
🗓April 24-28, 2021
Local Qualifying Sites:
Rangers Golf Club - Arlington - Sept. 23
Magnolia Creek GC - League City-Nov. 12
Apply to ...
- TGA Announces Fall Event Series for Men and Women 📢 TGA Announces Fall Series Events - a slate of new competitive tournaments for men & women with at least one new event conducted in Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and the Austin-San Antonio Hill Country area. Follow the link to learn ... 14 Likes
- Timeline Photos We have two more volunteer days coming up this fall with The Spirit Golf Association at the Houston Food Bank! Follow the links to volunteer:
Monday, September 14
Saturday, October 10
https://buff.ly/2QCnuvG 3 Likes
- Jim Brown Honored with Bob Wells Volunteerism Award We are pleased to announce longtime director & past president Jim Brown has received the Bob Wells Distinguished Service Award, the TGA’s highest honor for individuals who’ve contributed to the growth of the game through volunteerism & meritorious service. 23 CommentsRavi Shah Congratulations from the Shahs. Your service to junior golf has and will continue to leave a profound legacy..Anna Schultz Congratulations Jim!! You are very deserving of this award!Chhaya Shah Congratulations Jim. Couldn’t think of a better person who deserves this recognition.52 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jason Schultz of Allen and Prosper’s Russell Williams card a final round 6-under-par 66 to go wire-to-wire and win the #Texas4Ball by three strokes at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course. The were 26-under for the championship.
In the ... 2 CommentsMark Ellis Congratulations Russell! That little course in Crockett churns out some excellent players! 😊Clay Hughey Way to go Russell Williams. Congrats to Sparky and Kennedy too. You guys represented East Texas well.21 Likes
- Following their brilliant 12-under-par 60 in Round 1, Russell Williams and Jason Schultz card an 8-under-par 64 in Round 2 at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course to post 20-under through 36 holes and lead the field by three.
... 1 CommentsJeff Atkinson Congrats, heck of a tournament!8 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Russell Williams & Jason Schultz have known each other since competing as collegiate golfers in the ‘90s. On Friday, they teamed up to card an opening round 12-under-par 60 at the Texas Four-Ball and lead the field by two strokes.
... 16 Likes
- The Spirit Golf Association Announces Appointment of Charlie Epps, PGA, as Interim President The Spirit Golf Association announced today that long-time PGA Professional Charlie Epps will serve as interim president. Epps has served on the SGA Board of Directors since January 2020. Get the full details by clicking the link below. 5 Likes
- Teammates Faith Delagarza and Amari Smith win back to back #WomensFourBall Championship 🏆
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/womens-four-ball-championship-2020-leaderboard 4 Likes
- 🎥 Sunday at the #TexasAmateur! What a great week @bootranchtx!
A new champion has been crowned! Congratulations, @treybosco! The TGA extends its sincere appreciation to the @bootranchtx staff and membership for their efforts in making the 111th Texas Amateur ... 9 Likes