Campbell Wins George Hannon Junior Invitational with Birdie, Birdie Finish
AUSTIN— Richmond’s Stephen Campbell knew he had done something special when his birdie putt dropped on the 460-yard par-4 18thhole at UT Golf Club. His enthusiastic fist bump came from being one shot off the lead with two holes to play and making birdies on his final two holes. Those two consecutive birdies were enough to secure his spot on the top of the leaderboard as the 2018 George Hannon Junior Invitational champion.
Campbell fired a final round 1-under 70 which tied for the lowest round in the Boys 15-18 division. He fought hard making five birdies in his final 10 holes. He finished at 1-over for the tournament.
Jay Pabin of Lucas finished one shot behind Campbell at 2-over par for the tournament. He played consistently throughout the final round and had a chance to tie the lead with a 10-foot birdie putt on the 18th.
Pearland’s Vishnu Sadagopan finished in third at 3-over par. He started his day off hot with birdies on his opening three holes. Brandon Massey of Fort Worth, Temple’s Dallas Hankamer, and Connor Adams of Dallas tied for fourth at 6-over-par.
Shoichiro Kato finished tied for seventh after a final round 1-under-par 70.
(Click here for scores.)
In the Boys 14 & Under division, Karson Grigsby of Abilene shot a final round 4-over 75 to win by four strokes. Grigsby went into the final round with a five-stroke lead after his opening even-par round. He started strong with seven consecutive pars but made a double-bogey on the 124-yard par-3 8th. He was able to bounce back with a birdie on the 526-yard par-4 9thto make the turn at 1-over.
Grigsby’s back nine was a little more up-and-down with four bogeys and one birdie which led him to shoot 4-over for the day. He finished at 4-over for the tournament as well.
Keller’s Kaelen Dulany finished in second at 8-over-par, four strokes behind Grigsby. Dulany made five birdies which lead him to a final round score of 3-over 75. Tanner Wardlaw of Dripping Springs shot a final round 5-over 76 to secure third place with a tournament total of 10-over.
Wutthichai Boonsrirat of New Braunfels and Dallas’ Andrew Petruzzelli tied for fourth with an 11-over-par tournament total.
In the Girls 12-18 division, Waco’s Eubin Shim fired a final round 3-under 68 to finish three strokes ahead of her competition. Her eyes were on the prize early as she was 1-under through five holes. A bogey on the 370-yard par-4 6thwould bring her back to even, but she was able to bounce back with a birdie on the 100-yard par 3 8thallowing her to shoot 1-under on the front nine
Shim continued playing consistent golf on the back nine making one more birdie on the 470-yard par-5 11th. She wasn’t done yet, deciding to finish in style, Shim birdied the 360-yard par-4 18thto shoot the lowest round in the girl’s division. She finished the tournament at even par.
Bentley Cotton of Austin finished in second by shooting the only other under-par round in the girl’s division with a final round 1-under 70. Cotton shot 1-over on the front nine, but it was on the last three holes where she turned it on. She birdied both the 152-yard par-3 16thand the 360-yard par-4 18thto finish three shots behind Shim at 3-over for the tournament.
Austin’s Hallie Kuhns finished in third six strokes behind the leader after a solid final round of even par. Kaylee Vesely and Jensen Jalufka, who are both also from Austin, tied for fourth with tournament totals of 7-over.
Campbell, Grigsby, and Shim will join other esteemed golfers such as Max Miller, Joe and Julia Beck, Scottie and Callie Scheffler, Brendan Redfern, Cole Hammer, Thomas Critch, Levi Valadez, Alexandra Rossi, Chandler Phillips, and Hailee Cooper as champions of the George Hannon Junior Invitational.
This tournament was the third major event on the LJT schedule for the Boys Division and the second for the Girls Division. Players earned double points towards the LJT Player of the Year Points List, which will determine the LJT Player of the Year in 2018 and define the teams for the Jackie Burke Cup in November.
The Legends Junior Tour extends its sincere appreciation to the UT Golf Club, the welcoming membership, and hard-working staff, as well as our volunteers, for all their dedication and efforts in making the 2018 George Hannon Junior Invitational a memorable event.
For more information on this year’s George Hannon Junior Invitational, including complete scoring click here
- The 2021 Texas Golf Association Amateur Championship to begin this weekend! Hear from our very own John Cochran about the #SouthAm taking place this weekend at Galveston Country Club.
ℹ️ Follow along here: https://t.co/tCvFKgk5XL
📽 via FOX 26 Houston
https://www-fox26houston-com.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/www.fox26houston.com/video/963263.amp 23 Likes
- Texas Golf Association on Twitter 🚨MIXER ALERT🚨 Join us for #HappyHour! Register solo or up to a team of six! Price includes 2hrs of #Topgolf, buffet & more! Compete for raffles & prizes. Guests 21+ enjoy a round of beer/wine on us! SPACE IS LIMITED. ... 1 Likes
- It is with deep sadness that the TGA announces the passing of John Semander. The longtime TGA volunteer and Past Director passed away on July 27. He was 89 years old.
Read More: https://bit.ly/3xiWlB0 13 CommentsOh man so sorry to hear. He was an incredible man!!! I’m glad that I had the privilege to work ...A good man with such a warm demeanor and servants heart. He was that rare person who could put a ...A lovely man, was so kind to me when I worked over there. Have such positive memories of him. RIP John33 Likes
- TGA Par-Tee | TopGolf Dallas Come Par-Tee with the TGA for #HappyHour at #Topgolf #Dallas! Enjoy a buffet of food, drinks, snacks & desserts, plus 2 hours of 🏌️♂️! Bays will compete for #SwagBags & a #FunGolf Play Day for two! Did we mention the ... 1 Likes
- Pairings and starting times for the Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play have been released! More info 👇
⏰Starting times: https://www.txga.org/2021-texas-mid-amateur-match-play-leaderboard/
Texas Golf Association is at Trinity Forest Golf Club. 1 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Congratulations to the 93rd West Texas Amateur Champion Garrett Leek🏆
🏆Senior Champion: Mike Booker
🏆Super Senior Champion: Craig Urban
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 24 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jansen Smith of San Angelo and Garrett Leek of Brock share the lead through two rounds at the #WestTexasAm 🏜
18 holes remain at Abilene Country Club (South Course)
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - ... 6 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🪣 🪣 bucket hats are out in full force. Round 2 of the #WestTexasAm is in action.
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/west-texas-amateur-leaderboard-2021
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 7 Likes
- Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play Set for July 22-25 The Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play is set for July 22-25 pitting the top amateur golfers age 25+ against one another at Trinity Forest Golf Club, one of the most unique venues in Texas. Follow the link for more! 7 Likes
- TGA Players Box #TGAMembers Check your email inboxes for your exclusive #TexasTuesday deal, brought to you by the #TGAPlayersBox X @shortpar4. Save on men's and women's G/FORE shoes available for only $145 and 4 doz. TaylorMade balls for only $144! Want more deals? ...
- EMMA MCMYLER is your 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur Champion! #rivercrestcountryclub #100texasamateur
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 23 CommentsWay to go, Emma! 👏⛳️🎊Congratulations Emma! So proud of you!!Congrats Emma. Great result. Up Louisburgh!!64 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post The four semifinalists competing to advance to the championship round of the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur have began their matches!
live scoring: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 9 Likes
- We want to thank all of our amazing volunteers who came out to help at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur!
This wouldn’t be possible without you guys
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 1 CommentsThank you! USGA Volunteers!15 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post After 2 rounds of match play, these elite 8 players will compete tomorrow in the quarterfinals.
scores from this afternoon: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 8 Likes
- The day is not over yet 🤯 The 16 winners of this morning’s matches are going back out again!
The second round of matches is underway at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur #rivercrestcountryclub #100texasamateur
Texas Golf Association is at River ... 1 CommentsWatching and cheering the women golfers on from Fair Oaks Ranch!10 Likes
- The TGA sincerely thanks the all River Crest Country Club staff and grounds crew. The 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur couldn’t happen without you and we are grateful for all your hard work.
Texas Golf Association is at River ... 3 CommentsWe couldn’t have wonderful courses without them-thanks!!At every course this is the group of men/women that make it possible for their members to enjoy the sport ...River Crest is so beautiful!26 Likes
- and just like that, match 1 is over 😱 with no. 1 seed Kenlie Barrett defeating no. 32 seed Cari Denson at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur
(8 & 7)!!
keep following along: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is ... 3 Likes
- We’re just getting started! Round 2 of the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur is underway! #rivercrestcountryclub #100texasamateur
for live scores, match pairings and more: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 1 Likes