TGA Executive Director Rob Addington Steps Down
After 19 years as the Texas Golf Association’s Executive Director, Rob Addington late last week announced his resignation. The 112-year-old organization’s leader for the past two decades said he will stay in his current role until Dec. 1, 2018, to help ensure a smooth transition.
The TGA’s Executive Committee will begin search for Addington’s successor. Addington leaves an association he helped build into one of the largest and strongest Allied Golf Associations in the country for a leadership position in Anera Sports, a new venture that aims to provide association management, championship administration and consulting services.
“This was a difficult decision that brought on many sleepless nights,” Addington said. “I love the TGA and what we’ve built here. But after 19 years, I finally decided it was time to try something new. I have no doubt that the TGA will continue to be leaders in amateur golf and an example to all other likeminded associations.”
Addington initially started with the TGA in 1999 as a consultant. In 2001, the Executive Committee voted to make him the Executive Director. Addington succeeded William “Bill” Penn, who held the post for the previous 14 years and transformed the TGA from a small volunteer-based association to one that successfully promoted golf throughout Texas. Building on the foundation laid by Penn, Addington ushered in a new era of tremendous growth and influence.
When Addington took over in 2001, for example, there was one other full-time TGA employee. The annual operation budget at the time was $250,000. Today, the TGA has 26 full-time employees, in addition to about eight annual paid summer interns, and a budget of more than $6 million. Addington focused on creating elite amateur golf competitions. He hired a staff of championship administrators who delivered improved player experiences by taking TGA events to the best golf courses in the state and creating a win-win environment for both the host venue and competitors.
By the end of 2018, the TGA will have conducted competitions on 342 calendar days, that includes everything from single-day USGA and TGA qualifiers to four-day, statewide championships. That’s up from 48 days of competition in 2000, the year before Addington became the Executive Director. The TGA under Addington’s watch also grew to more than 130,000 in total membership, including individual members and members of the 531 public and private Member Clubs. That growth also helped the TGA surpass $1 million in membership revenue.
Addington was instrumental in working with the USGA to create an agreement in which 59 state and regional golf associations became Allied Golf Associations and the providers of USGA Handicaps and Course Ratings, as well as their community’s resource for championship qualifiers, governance, golf facility support and long-term growth and promotion of the game.
Among the many milestones during Addington’s tenure, he said some of the accomplishments that gave him the most pride included the 2014 merger with the Women’s Texas Golf Association, the massive expansion of tournament opportunities for players of all skill levels and ages, the success of the Legends Junior Tour, his role in the AGA agreement with the USGA and the proficient TGA staff he helped hire.
“More than anything, I’ve enjoyed the relationships I made with the TGA staff and volunteers, our players and Member Clubs. Those connections mean the most to me,” Addington said. “I’m completely confident the TGA will continue to raise the standard of excellence in amateur golf championships and membership value and services. I’m equally positive the TGA Executive Committee will find the right person to inspire and lead the way in the future.”
- The 2021 Texas Golf Association Amateur Championship to begin this weekend! Hear from our very own John Cochran about the #SouthAm taking place this weekend at Galveston Country Club.
ℹ️ Follow along here: https://t.co/tCvFKgk5XL
📽 via FOX 26 Houston
https://www-fox26houston-com.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/www.fox26houston.com/video/963263.amp 23 Likes
- Texas Golf Association on Twitter 🚨MIXER ALERT🚨 Join us for #HappyHour! Register solo or up to a team of six! Price includes 2hrs of #Topgolf, buffet & more! Compete for raffles & prizes. Guests 21+ enjoy a round of beer/wine on us! SPACE IS LIMITED. ... 1 Likes
- It is with deep sadness that the TGA announces the passing of John Semander. The longtime TGA volunteer and Past Director passed away on July 27. He was 89 years old.
Read More: https://bit.ly/3xiWlB0 13 CommentsOh man so sorry to hear. He was an incredible man!!! I’m glad that I had the privilege to work ...A good man with such a warm demeanor and servants heart. He was that rare person who could put a ...A lovely man, was so kind to me when I worked over there. Have such positive memories of him. RIP John33 Likes
- TGA Par-Tee | TopGolf Dallas Come Par-Tee with the TGA for #HappyHour at #Topgolf #Dallas! Enjoy a buffet of food, drinks, snacks & desserts, plus 2 hours of 🏌️♂️! Bays will compete for #SwagBags & a #FunGolf Play Day for two! Did we mention the ... 1 Likes
- Pairings and starting times for the Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play have been released! More info 👇
⏰Starting times: https://www.txga.org/2021-texas-mid-amateur-match-play-leaderboard/
Texas Golf Association is at Trinity Forest Golf Club. 1 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Congratulations to the 93rd West Texas Amateur Champion Garrett Leek🏆
🏆Senior Champion: Mike Booker
🏆Super Senior Champion: Craig Urban
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 24 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jansen Smith of San Angelo and Garrett Leek of Brock share the lead through two rounds at the #WestTexasAm 🏜
18 holes remain at Abilene Country Club (South Course)
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - ... 6 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🪣 🪣 bucket hats are out in full force. Round 2 of the #WestTexasAm is in action.
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/west-texas-amateur-leaderboard-2021
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 7 Likes
- Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play Set for July 22-25 The Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play is set for July 22-25 pitting the top amateur golfers age 25+ against one another at Trinity Forest Golf Club, one of the most unique venues in Texas. Follow the link for more! 7 Likes
- TGA Players Box #TGAMembers Check your email inboxes for your exclusive #TexasTuesday deal, brought to you by the #TGAPlayersBox X @shortpar4. Save on men's and women's G/FORE shoes available for only $145 and 4 doz. TaylorMade balls for only $144! Want more deals? ...
- EMMA MCMYLER is your 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur Champion! #rivercrestcountryclub #100texasamateur
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 23 CommentsWay to go, Emma! 👏⛳️🎊Congratulations Emma! So proud of you!!Congrats Emma. Great result. Up Louisburgh!!64 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post The four semifinalists competing to advance to the championship round of the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur have began their matches!
live scoring: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 9 Likes
- We want to thank all of our amazing volunteers who came out to help at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur!
This wouldn’t be possible without you guys
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 1 CommentsThank you! USGA Volunteers!15 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post After 2 rounds of match play, these elite 8 players will compete tomorrow in the quarterfinals.
scores from this afternoon: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 8 Likes
- The day is not over yet 🤯 The 16 winners of this morning’s matches are going back out again!
The second round of matches is underway at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur #rivercrestcountryclub #100texasamateur
Texas Golf Association is at River ... 1 CommentsWatching and cheering the women golfers on from Fair Oaks Ranch!10 Likes
- The TGA sincerely thanks the all River Crest Country Club staff and grounds crew. The 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur couldn’t happen without you and we are grateful for all your hard work.
Texas Golf Association is at River ... 3 CommentsWe couldn’t have wonderful courses without them-thanks!!At every course this is the group of men/women that make it possible for their members to enjoy the sport ...River Crest is so beautiful!26 Likes
- and just like that, match 1 is over 😱 with no. 1 seed Kenlie Barrett defeating no. 32 seed Cari Denson at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur
(8 & 7)!!
keep following along: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is ... 3 Likes