Harwell Leads Texas Mid-Amateur through 36 Holes
HOUSTON – Colby Harwell is 18 holes from accomplishing something no other Texas amateur golfer has done in the past 24 years. After shooting a sizzling 6-under-par 66 on Saturday in the second round of the 2018 Texas Mid-Amateur Championship, the defending champion holds a one-shot lead over a talented field at vaunted River Oaks Country Club.
Texas Golf Hall of Fame member John Grace was the last to successfully defend a Mid-Amateur title when he won four in a row from 1991-94.
“That’s too much to think about,” Harwell said about matching Grace’s feat. “I did come here to defend my title, but all I’m thinking about right now is hitting the first fairway tomorrow.”
(Click here for complete scores.)
It’s that kind of mentality that helped the 33-year-old San Antonio resident place his tee ball into all 14 of River Oaks Country Club’s fairways in the second round. He only missed two greens on the day and rolled in seven birdies. His two-day total of 6-under 138 is one better than Mansfield’s Lewis Stephenson, who fired a 3-under 69 in the second round and has a 36-hole total of 5-under 139.
Harwell has been one of the hottest players in Texas for more than a year. In addition to the 2017 Texas Mid-Amateur title, he also won last year’s Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play Championship and qualified for the U.S. Amateur. For good measure, Harwell finished T13 in the 108th Texas Amateur last summer against a stacked field of standout collegiate players. Those accomplishments earned Harwell the 2017 Texas Player of the Year award, which he picked up Thursday night at River Oaks.
Earlier that day while registering for this year’s championship, Harwell returned the Mid-Amateur Championship trophy that he won last September at Comanche Trace.
“You guys hold on to this for me for a few days,” he said. “I’ll pick it up again on Sunday.”
He was smiling when he said it, but he wasn’t joking.
After his 66 on Saturday, Harwell revealed that the round could’ve been much better. He said he left three putts one quarter revolution short from falling in the center of the cup. His plan for Sunday’s final round? Keep it simple, he said.
“I’ve got 18 holes to go and a bunch of good players chasing me,” he said. “I’ll try to put a good number on the board and see what happens.”
Harwell’s closest competitor is Stephenson, the 58-year-old dentist who won the 2016 Senior Amateur at Escondido. He said he came into this week with modest expectations.
“I just wanted to play well and contend for the Mid-Master title,” Stephenson said of the division for players ages 40 years and older. He holds a one-shot lead in the Mid-Master Division and said his goals haven’t changed. “I really wanted this to be a tune up for the Senior Amateur in a couple weeks. I’m just going to come out tomorrow and try to play good golf. I’ve been doing this long enough to know that’s truly all I can control.”
Stephenson hit 11 of 14 fairways and 15 of 18 greens in the second round. He said he was surprised at his consistent play because he had never seen the golf course prior to his practice round on Thursday.
Tied for third place at 4-under 140 are Jake Istnick from Dallas and Montgomery’s Grant Schroeder. The 42-year-old Istnick shot a 3-under 69 in the second round. He trailed Stephenson in the Mid-Master Division by one stroke. The 26-year-old Schroeder made seven birdies Saturday on his way to a 4-under 68.
Houston’s Jess Bonneau and Micah Rodger from Odessa are tied for fifth place at 3-under 141.
Through two days of the 54-hole championship 13 players are under par and within five shots of Harwell. Fifty-nine players survived the 36-hole cut on Saturday at 6-over 150 or better. Eight River Oaks members qualified for the championship; 50-year-old Gregg Hammer was the lone member to make the cut. Hammer is tied for 12th place overall at 1-under 143. He’s also in fourth place in the Mid-Master Division.
For the second straight day, River Oaks provided a stern championship test for the best mid-amateurs in the state. The competitors played the 1923 Donald Ross-designed course that was completely renovated in 2015 by Tom and Logan Fazio at 6,729 yards in the second round. The par-72 gem features generous fairways but punishing rough – still thick and wet on Saturday from Friday’s rain – and deep, well-positioned bunkers.
River Oaks played to a stroke average of 75.77 in the second round, which was nearly one shot better than Friday’s first round average of 76.40. The 436-yard, par-4 18th hole was the most daunting test. River Oak’s finishing hole played to a stroke average of 4.57 and yielded just four birdies. The 562-yard, par-5 10th hole was the least difficult; it played to an average of 4.91.
The final round of the 2018 Texas Mid-Amateur Championship begins at 8 a.m. on Sunday. For more information, click here.
- The 2021 Texas Golf Association Amateur Championship to begin this weekend! Hear from our very own John Cochran about the #SouthAm taking place this weekend at Galveston Country Club.
ℹ️ Follow along here: https://t.co/tCvFKgk5XL
📽 via FOX 26 Houston
https://www-fox26houston-com.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/www.fox26houston.com/video/963263.amp 23 Likes
- Texas Golf Association on Twitter 🚨MIXER ALERT🚨 Join us for #HappyHour! Register solo or up to a team of six! Price includes 2hrs of #Topgolf, buffet & more! Compete for raffles & prizes. Guests 21+ enjoy a round of beer/wine on us! SPACE IS LIMITED. ... 1 Likes
- It is with deep sadness that the TGA announces the passing of John Semander. The longtime TGA volunteer and Past Director passed away on July 27. He was 89 years old.
Read More: https://bit.ly/3xiWlB0 13 CommentsOh man so sorry to hear. He was an incredible man!!! I’m glad that I had the privilege to work ...A good man with such a warm demeanor and servants heart. He was that rare person who could put a ...A lovely man, was so kind to me when I worked over there. Have such positive memories of him. RIP John33 Likes
- TGA Par-Tee | TopGolf Dallas Come Par-Tee with the TGA for #HappyHour at #Topgolf #Dallas! Enjoy a buffet of food, drinks, snacks & desserts, plus 2 hours of 🏌️♂️! Bays will compete for #SwagBags & a #FunGolf Play Day for two! Did we mention the ... 1 Likes
- Pairings and starting times for the Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play have been released! More info 👇
⏰Starting times: https://www.txga.org/2021-texas-mid-amateur-match-play-leaderboard/
Texas Golf Association is at Trinity Forest Golf Club. 1 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Congratulations to the 93rd West Texas Amateur Champion Garrett Leek🏆
🏆Senior Champion: Mike Booker
🏆Super Senior Champion: Craig Urban
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 24 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jansen Smith of San Angelo and Garrett Leek of Brock share the lead through two rounds at the #WestTexasAm 🏜
18 holes remain at Abilene Country Club (South Course)
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - ... 6 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🪣 🪣 bucket hats are out in full force. Round 2 of the #WestTexasAm is in action.
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/west-texas-amateur-leaderboard-2021
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 7 Likes
- Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play Set for July 22-25 The Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play is set for July 22-25 pitting the top amateur golfers age 25+ against one another at Trinity Forest Golf Club, one of the most unique venues in Texas. Follow the link for more! 7 Likes
- TGA Players Box #TGAMembers Check your email inboxes for your exclusive #TexasTuesday deal, brought to you by the #TGAPlayersBox X @shortpar4. Save on men's and women's G/FORE shoes available for only $145 and 4 doz. TaylorMade balls for only $144! Want more deals? ...
- EMMA MCMYLER is your 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur Champion! #rivercrestcountryclub #100texasamateur
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 23 CommentsWay to go, Emma! 👏⛳️🎊Congratulations Emma! So proud of you!!Congrats Emma. Great result. Up Louisburgh!!64 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post The four semifinalists competing to advance to the championship round of the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur have began their matches!
live scoring: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 9 Likes
- We want to thank all of our amazing volunteers who came out to help at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur!
This wouldn’t be possible without you guys
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 1 CommentsThank you! USGA Volunteers!15 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post After 2 rounds of match play, these elite 8 players will compete tomorrow in the quarterfinals.
scores from this afternoon: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 8 Likes
- The day is not over yet 🤯 The 16 winners of this morning’s matches are going back out again!
The second round of matches is underway at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur #rivercrestcountryclub #100texasamateur
Texas Golf Association is at River ... 1 CommentsWatching and cheering the women golfers on from Fair Oaks Ranch!10 Likes
- The TGA sincerely thanks the all River Crest Country Club staff and grounds crew. The 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur couldn’t happen without you and we are grateful for all your hard work.
Texas Golf Association is at River ... 3 CommentsWe couldn’t have wonderful courses without them-thanks!!At every course this is the group of men/women that make it possible for their members to enjoy the sport ...River Crest is so beautiful!26 Likes
- and just like that, match 1 is over 😱 with no. 1 seed Kenlie Barrett defeating no. 32 seed Cari Denson at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur
(8 & 7)!!
keep following along: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is ... 3 Likes